• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Gribbix

Rockstar has made a new 'Quick Tips' post on their news page today. Here's what I think is the most interesting bit from it:
Multiplayer Aiming - Not the type of person that favors aim-assistance? Once you reach level 15 in multiplayer, you will have the option of playing in the Hardcore version of the various multiplayer game types, where aim-assistance is stripped away. (Please note - for the extremely hardcore, we will have some particularly hard levels coming your way soon. Details to follow in a few days or so.)

Sill4

Wiggum2007 said:
I don't think they spawn until your time spent in-game hits 200 hours, just keep playing!
Is this sarcasm?

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I heard about the werewolf online. Be it for realz, or be it the stuff of gamefaqs forums?

Wiggum2007

Sill4 said:
Is this sarcasm?

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I heard about the werewolf online. Be it for realz, or be it the stuff of gamefaqs forums?

Nah it shouldn't actually take 200 hours, it's just as easy to find as the sasquatch was in GTA:San Andreas.

So how common is the issue with gang members spawning under the ground during online Gang Hideouts? I've only had time to play online a few times, and I've seen it every single time in at least one hideout.

Has Rockstar said anything about a fix coming for that?

Sill4

Wiggum2007 said:
Nah it shouldn't actually take 200 hours, it's just as easy to find as the sasquatch was in GTA:San Andreas.
:lol :lol

Too bad, it would have been awesome to see some sort of mythical creature in the woods.

I always get a "Tremors" vibe when riding in New Austin. Would be so badass to see graboids coming out of the desert to eat deer.

Gribbix

ThirstyFly said:
So how common is the issue with gang members spawning under the ground during online Gang Hideouts? I've only had time to play online a few times, and I've seen it every single time in at least one hideout.

Has Rockstar said anything about a fix coming for that?
I only came across this issue once and that was yesterday in the Gaptooth Mines hideout. I was getting shot at through the tunnel walls even though I couldn't see anyone. Luckily, I was still able to complete it since that particular hideout only requires that you retrieve the mine cart.

bunbun777

Gribbix said:
I only came across this issue once and that was yesterday in the Gaptooth Mines hideout. I was getting shot at through the tunnel walls even though I couldn't see anyone. Luckily, I was still able to complete it since that particular hideout only requires that you retrieve the mine cart.

That has happened to me too- but outside the mine. I used dynamite since he was stuck in the shed.

my roommate is playing 'Run for the Hills' from JP in Mexico. Wild.

Haunted

confuziz said:
I.... didn't like the end...

Sorry GAF =(
Why?

Interested in hearing other people's views on the matter.
If it's just that you don't like bad/sad endings in general and prefer a happy/positive ending, don't bother. :p

Gribbix said:

It seems to happen most in the mines, but I've also had it happen in the Tumbleweed house. A guy was stuck under the ground right outside of the house and we couldn't get him at all. We had to leave and do another hideout and then come back.

I even had it happen in the single player once. Luckily his arm kept coming though a rock so I was able to lock in on him with the Dead Eye and get'em.

Barakov

Just beat it and did the
Remember My Family stranger quest.
It was a great ride. I'll probably go back 100% it later.

I was glad to see that Ross was piece of shit up until the very end. I was more than happy to put him down.

BobTheFork said:
Well, I finished the game 'again' just now...
That was a great little segment but it doesn't really make me feel any better about Jon dying : (. It was fun to track that bastard down. I don't know if the game intentionally makes it rain during the end of the mission but DAMN was that great. I walked down to the river and it was just pouring death w/ lightning. I dotted his eyes like a fucking Disney character and that was it. I like that they voiced Jack for all the little things as well. R* makes a great total package.

It was bright and sunny for me. I wish it was raining; it would have been way cooler. I like the fact that missions can have different weather and different times of the day; nice little touch.

kaskade said:
I love how throughout the game i've seen plenty of skunks and raccoons. When I actually have to find them it's impossible.

Just be glad you never have to hunt snakes. I remember looking though my stats and seeing "# of Snakes Killed: 1" and thinking I didn't even know there were snakes in the game. Must have run over it with my horse and I didn't see another one for days. Maybe actually saw a total of 3 during my entire playthough.

Wiggum2007

ThirstyFly said:
Just be glad you never have to hunt snakes. I remember looking though my stats and seeing "# of Snakes Killed: 1" and thinking I didn't even know there were snakes in the game. Must have run over it with my horse and I didn't see another one for days. Maybe actually saw a total of 3 during my entire playthough.

Go chill around Torquemada, I swear there's usually one hanging around the settlement entrance biting and killing passerbys. :lol

Wiggum2007 said:
Go chill around Torquemada, I swear there's usually one hanging around the settlement entrance biting and killing passerbys. :lol

Is that where the Five Finger Fillet game is? I saw a snake bite and kill one of the players there once after I scared them all away from the table with my lasso of doom.

Wiggum2007

ThirstyFly said:
Is that where the Five Finger Fillet game is? I saw a snake bite and kill one of the players there once after I scared them all away from the table with my lasso of doom.

Yup, that's the one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There's a TON of snakes in Mexico. I was going around picking some of the flowers I needed for the survivalist challenge and literally saw up to 5 around a single bush.

Booshka

I was in the middle of a bounty mission and got wrecked by a rattlesnake. I was trying to lasso the bounty target, he shot me a couple times, then a rattlesnake bit me and killed me. Quite the one-two punch.:lol

Fittingly, the bounty mission was in Rattlesnake Hollow.

I need to start playing through the story instead of playing around. I'm at the last mission before you go to Mexico and I've been taken my time (spent over 20 hrs in the game so far).

SamuraiX-

Found a little glitch for the Rank 10 Sharpshooter Challenge (
Disarming any 6 enemies without reloading or changing weapons
) that seems to make things a lot easier in completing the challenge without having to waste all your ammo and only leave a clip of shots left in the gun.

I was going through Pike's Basin to complete this challenge using the LeMat Revolver. Because I wasn't shooting to kill and trying to conserve ammo, I would try to run past the gang members after I disarmed them, allowing them to light me up with their secondary wepaons. I used about 3 medicines and 1 tonic. I noticed that in the process of accessing my consumables/kit/provisions menu and using a medicine/tonic, upon exiting the menu it appeared as though my revolver had automatically reloaded, since I had a fresh 9 bullets in it... And it didn't restart the challenge when I checked it in the Journal. So this leads me to believe that as long as you don't manually reload your weapon outside of the menus, then the challenge won't restart.

It might have just been a one-time glitch or something, not sure. You guys can give it a shot and let me know if it works. Good hunting.

kaskade

Papercuts said:
There's a TON of snakes in Mexico. I was going around picking some of the flowers I needed for the survivalist challenge and literally saw up to 5 around a single bush.
Once you hear the hiss it's pretty easy to try and find them. I'll get these damn raccoons if it's the last thing I do.

SamuraiX- said:
Found a little glitch for the Rank 10 Sharpshooter Challenge (
Disarming any 6 enemies without reloading or changing weapons
) that seems to make things a lot easier in completing the challenge without having to waste all your ammo and only leave a clip of shots left in the gun.

I was going through Pike's Basin to complete this challenge using the LeMat Revolver. Because I wasn't shooting to kill and trying to conserve ammo, I would try to run past the gang members after I disarmed them, allowing them to light me up with their secondary wepaons. I used about 3 medicines and 1 tonic. I noticed that in the process of accessing my consumables/kit/provisions menu and using a medicine/tonic, upon exiting the menu it appeared as though my revolver had automatically reloaded, since I had a fresh 9 bullets in it... And it didn't restart the challenge when I checked it in the Journal. So this leads me to believe that as long as you don't manually reload your weapon outside of the menus, then the challenge won't restart.

It might have just been a one-time glitch or something, not sure. You guys can give it a shot and let me know if it works. Good hunting.
I did something similar
in Thieves Landing, by the safe house there is a roof you can go on that has good cover opposite the " whore house ".
I was using the Evans repeater, and basically pointed my gun at everyone coming out of that building. Naturally they point their weapons at me, giving me good disarm targets. When my dead eye would run out, I would go into my kit and use the dead eye refill, coming back out of that I had the same result as you, it helped out a lot :)

confuziz said:
I.... didn't like the end...

Sorry GAF =(

You are not alone, I thought it was very anti-climatic and just a very boring and uninteresting way to end the game.
I was more angry that he died because we had to play as Jack then sad. Also goes for the stranger mission at the end also

Overall I would give it a 9/10 (SP and MP) very good, but it is limited in some areas and the story was so-so throughout (probably because Alan Wake's story spoiled me though)

There's actually a VERY easy way to beat Sharpshooter Challenge 10. May be a glitch, but it worked constantly for me and I tried it a few times.

All you have to do is open the pause menu, then unpause while still having your gun aimed and it'll refill your ammo. You may need to go into a submenu, but I'm not sure on that. The way I did it was I kept my gun aimed so it didn't auto reload, then I went into the sharpshooter challenge menu and pressed Triangle to see the detailed stats that shows how many disarms you've done. I kept doing that to check how many I had and it would reload my gun. You just need to be careful not to hit Circle too many times to back out of the menus so you don't accidentally do the manual reload. No need to use any items at all. Just make sure your gun is always aimed and you're good.

MMaRsu said:
Hey R* how about a patch so I can play the MP instead of adding shit to it first.

Have R* publicly acknowledged this issue and promised a patch for it? It sucks that people can't even play online properly after all this time.

SamuraiX-

MrTroubleMaker said:
I did something similar
in Thieves Landing, by the safe house there is a roof you can go on that has good cover opposite the " whore house ".
I was using the Evans repeater, and basically pointed my gun at everyone coming out of that building. Naturally they point their weapons at me, giving me good disarm targets. When my dead eye would run out, I would go into my kit and use the dead eye refill, coming back out of that I had the same result as you, it helped out a lot :)
ThirstyFly said:
There's actually a VERY easy way to beat Sharpshooter Challenge 10. May be a glitch, but it worked constantly for me and I tried it a few times.

All you have to do is open the pause menu, then unpause while still having your gun aimed and it'll refill your ammo. You may need to go into a submenu, but I'm not sure on that. The way I did it was I kept my gun aimed so it didn't auto reload, then I went into the sharpshooter challenge menu and pressed Triangle to see the detailed stats that shows how many disarms you've done. I kept doing that to check how many I had and it would reload my gun. You just need to be careful not to hit Circle too many times to back out of the menus so you don't accidentally do the manual reload. No need to use any items at all. Just make sure your gun is always aimed and you're good.

Heh. Nice. Good news for anybody who suffers from too many headaches because of this challenge then. :p

On a side note: Legend of the West outfit + American Standardbred horse = most awesome looking combo in the game. :D

knitoe

SamuraiX- said:
Heh. Nice. Good news for anybody who suffers from too many headaches because of this challenge then. :p

On a side note: Legend of the West outfit + American Standardbred horse = most awesome looking combo in the game. :D
I could swear entering dead eye reloads your gun every time without messing up the challenge. Either way, thought challenge was pretty easy. Was using the rifle with 22 bullets and went to a gang hide out. Once I see a bad guy, just run up to, and hide on the opposite side of the structure (usually rock) the dude hiding behind. At that close range, you can't really miss disarming the guy with dead eye. After disarming him, dude will pick up his weapon again in few seconds, just disarm him again and keep repeating. Each time you disarm him it counts as 1 for the challenge. If you accidentally kill him, move on to next guy. Only took me 2-3 guys to finish the challenge.

j-wood

Can someone explain how the horse system works?

I only need to hitch the horse when I want to save a new one right?

Is it impossible to lose your horse? I got off mine (the one given to you at the beginning of the game) and a snake scared it off the cliff. Then it said I have to wait awhile before I can whistle for a new one.

So I whistled and a new one came out of nowhere, but it was a different color. Yet it still had the same loyalty as I had with the horse that died.

Amir0x

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Yeah ummm, the town "hating you" for saving the woman isn't a glitch. The place is called THIEVES LANDING for a reason. Next time, you mind your own business and it'll be all good.

I've saved multiple people in and around the town and was never set upon!

Boo

j-wood said:

Is it impossible to lose your horse? I got off mine (the one given to you at the beginning of the game) and a snake scared it off the cliff. Then it said I have to wait awhile before I can whistle for a new one.

So I whistled and a new one came out of nowhere, but it was a different color. Yet it still had the same loyalty as I had with the horse that died.

Yes when you have a horse you want to keep, hitch it, yea its tough to keep the same horse, ninja cougars will eventually get you.

j-wood

dreamer3kx said:
Yes when you have a horse you want to keep, hitch it, yea its tough to keep the same horse, ninja cougars will eventually get you.

Then how come when it fell off the cliff, I was able to whistle and get a different color horse but with the same loyalty?

Klocker

j-wood said:
Then how come when it fell off the cliff, I was able to whistle and get a different color horse but with the same loyalty?

a hitched horse or deed owned horse is replaced (after death) by any horse that you may have broken and owned (hitched) at one time. Only way to be certain to get the exact one is own the deed and call for that horse after death.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
j-wood said:

Maybe the loyalty is actually attached to that level of horses. Throughout the game I never felt that my horses had less loyalty than any other once I had hitched them. So maybe it's just that you have horse loyalty now.

Klocker

Truelize said:
Maybe the loyalty is actually attached to that level of horses. Throughout the game I never felt that my horses had less loyalty than any other once I had hitched them. So maybe it's just that you have horse loyalty now.

loyalty is shown on the left blue stamina bar ... full up is loyal... steal a horse and you will see it is only 3/4 full. all owned or hitched horses are loyal.

j-wood

Alright so let me ask this then, are there different types of horses? In terms of speed or what?

So if one dies, is the replacement you get that same level? Or does it return to the basic horse?

Klocker

j-wood said:
Alright so let me ask this then, are there different types of horses? In terms of speed or what?

So if one dies, is the replacement you get that same level? Or does it return to the basic horse?

look at the deed (in the store after you break a breed) or in your inventory if you bought it and you will see stars. 1,2 or 3. 3 being best.

here is all you need to read

SamuraiX-

j-wood said:

Edit: Nevermind. Klocker answered it better. I seem to still be out of the loop, even after all this time. :lol

Zeliard

Gribbix said:
Rockstar has made a new 'Quick Tips' post on their news page today. Here's what I think is the most interesting bit from it:

Rockstar said:
Multiplayer Aiming - Not the type of person that favors aim-assistance? Once you reach level 15 in multiplayer, you will have the option of playing in the Hardcore version of the various multiplayer game types, where aim-assistance is stripped away.

Modern Warfare has seriously ruined things. :lol Why the hell do you have to grind until level 15 just to be able to not play the game like a fucking newbie?

Top Bottom