• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

I love this game but have no idea how to capture a bounty alive. I once chased a guy and kept punching and kicking him and tackled him whenever it randomly allowed me to do so and never was I prompted to tie him up or whatever it is they want me to do to get him back alive. How, Gaf? How?

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I love this game but have no idea how to capture a bounty alive. I once chased a guy and kept punching and kicking him and tackled him whenever it randomly allowed me to do so and never was I prompted to tie him up or whatever it is they want me to do to get him back alive. How, Gaf? How?
Keep doing Bonnie's missions to get the lasso

I hit Mexico at 6:14 min.

I am currently going back and doing stranger missions, exploring, etc. before I actually go to Mexico. Want to clear everything in my path.

A bounty escaped from me on his horse. Will I ever be able to get him again?

I just douched myself. Well with some help from Rockstar.
Couldn't save or get on my horse so I killed myself. Instead of going to save I jumped on my horse in Blackwater and was sent off on another mission. Finished the mission and went to the saloon where I decided it would be funny to have 5 drinks before bed/save. So I stumble upstairs and I figured what the hell I'll check whats in the chest first. Or should I save since I haven't been able to in over an hour because of the glitches. Well what do you know, I stumble over the chest and Marston goes into a Jesus Christ pose and can't move so I have to go to the dash because only the guide button will do anything.
I stopped playing after that. Hope the auto save did its job and I don't have to replay over an hour of this. Shouldn't have had those 5 drinks.:lol

LOL I just found the two guys
at tanner's reach apparently making TNT kegs. It has to be the silliest thing in this game by a mile. 'well, here's that TNT, now time for a cigar' :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I came across a couple of guys having a fist fight out in the wild, the winner came after me and I couldn't remember how to finish him when he fell down so I had to knife him like a bitch.

BobTheFork said:
LOL I just found the two guys
at tanner's reach apparently making TNT kegs. It has to be the silliest thing in this game by a mile. 'well, here's that TNT, now time for a cigar' :lol

The best part is when you try to steal whatever they have in their chest by the tent. Do it and see what happens.

Gribbix

Zeliard said:
Modern Warfare has seriously ruined things. :lol Why the hell do you have to grind until level 15 just to be able to not play the game like a fucking newbie?
You're free to play with expert-aiming without any aim-assistance from the get-go. The problem is that you're at an unfair disadvantage since you're stuck playing with players who use aim-assistance until you reach level 15. The worst part of multiplayer is that regardless of your level, there is currently no expert-only version of free roam. Although they haven't promised anything, Rockstar says they're looking into adding support for expert-only free roam.

vexvegaz

need some help here guys...im almost done with my assassins outfit quest but for what ever reason i cant get the last one. "win a draw in armadillo".

is there a person i should be looking for?

Klocker

vexvegaz said:
need some help here guys...im almost done with my assassins outfit quest but for what ever reason i cant get the last one. "win a draw in armadillo".

is there a person i should be looking for?

he'll just appear for a duel eventually... also try clicking X (360) at the outfit screen as it puts a purple marker on your map for the next item and it may spawn the event?

Hixx

What an ending! Huge spoiler ofc:

I'm bloody gutted though. John was definitely my favourite character in a game in a long, long time... riding from the Ranch to Blackwater I was open mouthed the whole time, didn't think they would do that!

Karram

I encountered a pretty funny video glitch. Sorry if its already posted.

2wo99h4.jpg

1yo2nn.jpg

2lcqvt.jpg

Wiggum2007

Snuggler said:
I came across a couple of guys having a fist fight out in the wild, the winner came after me and I couldn't remember how to finish him when he fell down so I had to knife him like a bitch.

I came across this too, and then the one dude punched the other and sent him flying a hundred feet back and out of sight. I was like whoa note to self don't fuck with that guy.

Karram said:
I encountered a pretty funny video glitch. Sorry if its already posted.

This happened to me with her too. Then I shot the dude and one of her ran away scared and the other one just stood there.

Also happened later in the game (near the end)
when Jack was up in the mountains hiding like a pussy from a grizzly, after I saved him there was a second one of him still hiding behind the rock

Liar's Dice Achievement, and 20 missions with the same horse achievement back to back :D :D :D Never thought I would get either of those before finishing the main story.

~30 hours or so, and still not up to the last area. I love this game.

WHY ARE THE GRAPHICS IN THIS GAME SO GODDAMN AWESOME????

They still wow me after 30 hours of gameplay. Makes every other open world game look like crap.

schennmu said:

They still wow me after 30 hours of gameplay. Makes every other open world game look like crap.

While they are awesome, I think AC and AC2 stand right up there with it. AC when you first see the main city on your horse was epic.

I do love this atmosphere more though.

Wiggum2007

Only thing that bugs me graphically is some of the LOD stuff. Out in the wild LOD issues and pop-in are pretty scarce, but when you're in town you'll see all sorts of weird shit with buildings' textures shifting back and forth between different LOD levels, often when you're not even moving.

flyinpiranha said:
While they are awesome, I think AC and AC2 stand right up there with it. AC when you first see the main city on your horse was epic.

AC meaning Assassin's Creed? If so, they look good, but the sheer amount of different "looks" Red Dead Redemption gives you surpasses it IMO. Pink skies, blue skies, orange skies, dark star glistening skies, overcast skies, light rain storms, heavy rainstorm, thunderstorms, fog, 3 completely different looking territories, etc. etc. RDR is much more impressive IMO.

Aesius

schennmu said:

IMO it only wows me during the daytime. Something about the lighting. At night/dusk it looks pretty average, and even downright bad.

flyinpiranha said:

AC has its moments, but RDR is much better looking overall imo. But I agree that the atmosphere is a huge part of it. Then again, the atmosphere only comes across so well because graphics and especially lighting are so good. Have to love the god ray effect they are using. The only bad looking area is probably Thieve's Landing.

Wiggum2007 said:
Only thing that bugs me graphically is some of the LOD stuff. Out in the wild LOD issues and pop-in are pretty scarce, but when you're in town you'll see all sorts of weird shit with buildings' textures shifting back and forth between different LOD levels, often when you're not even moving.

I think this is more of a problem with the PS3 version.

Cday

Banned
Sooo satisfying when someone has you on the ropes and you retreat around a corner only to work up a stealth dead eye while they're moving in to finish you off and you drop them in a millisecond. I abuse the hell out of it, most people don't seem to know it exists.

I really think that John Marston is probably one of the best protagonists that Rockstar has ever created. I hope future protagonists are this good. I got so sick of the amoral sociopaths.

SamuraiX-

At 81.2% Completion with a little over 49 hours played.

I've reached West Elizabeth but haven't touched any of the story missions so far. Decided to get everything else I'll need for 100% completion done first. Game is still addicting. Definitely a Top 3 or 5 Game of the Year candidate for me. Absolutely incredible.

Wiggum2007

I love the Stranger missions, and several of them are some of my favorite moments in the game, but man a few of them end completely anti-climatically. There were a few where I figured they were 'Inactive' and the next portion would show up somewhere eventually, only to check my Stats screen later and release I had completed them. :lol

did they throw in Blackwater in the last few weeks of development or something :lol

i've been in this portion of the game for one day, and i've seen more glitches than the rest of the game combined.

i was just playing a poker game (in Blackwater) and after a few hands the table disappeared (cards were floating in mid air) and for whatever reason, all of the character models changed to blurry, low polygon LOD character models. they looked like N64 models! lasted for 3 hands, then just changed back.

Zeliard

I'm starting to get jealous of all the people running into these crazy ass memorable glitches. 15 hours of play and I still haven't ran into a single one. I'm holding out hope, though.

UrbanRats

The only prob. i have with Blackwater is that for the coll town it should be, is barely populated.. seems like Armadillo is a more frequented place, WTF.
The Saloon is often empty(besides the guys at the Blackjack table and the bartender).
I'm starting to get jealous of all the people running into these crazy ass memorable glitches. 15 hours of play and I still haven't ran into a single one. I'm holding out hope, though.
Same, nothing memorable, anyway.

ThirstyFly said:
So how common is the issue with gang members spawning under the ground during online Gang Hideouts?

I've done quite a few online gang hideouts and only just ran into this problem at Pike's Basin. It was rather annoying, he was so far under I couldn't get him with dynamite.

SamuraiX-

Man, I really hate it when the throat slit move glitches and doesn't work. Worked a lot more smoother in GTA: San Andreas. Just ruined a perfectly good stealth kill and instead the guy turns around and butts me in the face with the hilt of his rifle. >_<

Klocker

SamuraiX- said:
Man, I really hate it when the throat slit move glitches and doesn't work. Worked a lot more smoother in GTA: San Andreas. Just ruined a perfectly good stealth kill and instead the guy turns around and butts me in the face with the hilt of his rifle. >_<

details please :D

Risette

A Good Citizen
Speaking of LOD issues... Am I the only one who notices the really subtle shadow LOD draw-in while on horse and going fast? Shits distracting once I noticed it. 360 version, installed.

Sh0k

Anybody knows how many animal species are in the game ? I'm trying to complete the achievement to kill every animal species, so far I have killed 24 different animals.

WEGGLES

FUUUUCKKCKCKDFKFLGJHKSG

Thought I found sasquatch.

I See a big black outline by the one graveyard in Mexico walking like sasquatch in the one "famous" picture of Bigfoot. Get my camera ready. OH MAN.

sasquatch.jpg

ITS A FUCKING COP THAT HAD BEEN SHOT IN THE LEG HOBBLING THROUGH THE DESERT WHAT THE HELL.

It was walking JUST like sasquatch too.

The only annoying thing about the game is

"Howdy Marston"
"Good day Senor Marston"
"Hello John Marston"
"Good to see you John Marston"

Jeez just let me finish a round of poker, ok?

About the ending:
I loved it, but my only problem is when I took over as the boy, all I could think was, "I better not be forced to play as the boy." Then it flashed forward, and I was relieved. It wouldn't be all kiddy and everything. First thing out of his mouth while riding the horse: "Pa taught me well!" in the same fucking voice. That sucked. I want to be John Marston again :(

The game was awesome, and I like how they took out the annoying aspects of GTA. That series seems to rely annoying sometimes.

Leunam

Just finished the game. Regarding the ending:
I like how I was prompted by a dueling tutorial when I met Ross. Guessing this is Jacks first duel? Hell of a way to start.

schennmu said:
The only annoying thing about the game is

"Howdy Marston"
"Good day Senor Marston"
"Hello John Marston"
"Good to see you John Marston"

Jeez just let me finish a round of poker, ok?

At least they're not begging for you to marry them like every time you walk through a town in Fable II.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
Zeliard said:

not sure how much this counts, but I was outside of thieves' landing when I was attacked by some wolves. I was on the challenge where i had to kill them with my knife, so i hopped off my horse and killed four wolves and skinned them thinking "nice, i almost completed the challenge in one go." (because i think it takes 6). Two more wolves came out of nowhere so I was able to finish the challenge. Right as I was about to mount up and move on, two more wolves attack me, and so on and so on. I kept killing two wolves at a time and immediately two more would run at me. I thought it was pretty weird but just kept killing wolves and by the time it stopped (i think maybe I moved a little too far from my original location) I had killed over 20 wolves. Made some decent money off the meat/pelts from them too. Anyone have something like this happen to them?

P.S. sorry to pour salt on your wounds :D

Zeliard said:

Go on a bounty mission, capture the bounty alive, put em on your horse, ride back to town, and have your horse die. Most consistent glitch for me. Always at least a tremendous slowdown, but sometimes some interesting side effects as well.

I fell through the map once as well. That was fun.

pedr0theli0n said:
not sure how much this counts, but I was outside of thieves' landing when I was attacked by some wolves. I was on the challenge where i had to kill them with my knife, so i hopped off my horse and killed four wolves and skinned them thinking "nice, i almost completed the challenge in one go." (because i think it takes 6). Two more wolves came out of nowhere so I was able to finish the challenge. Right as I was about to mount up and move on, two more wolves attack me, and so on and so on. I kept killing two wolves at a time and immediately two more would run at me. I thought it was pretty weird but just kept killing wolves and by the time it stopped (i think maybe I moved a little too far from my original location) I had killed over 20 wolves. Made some decent money off the meat/pelts from them too. Anyone have something like this happen to them?

P.S. sorry to pour salt on your wounds :D

Same thing happened to me when I was treasure hunting. I think I had like 23-27 wolf pelts when I said fuck it and rode away. :lol

Top Bottom