• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

eznark

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Some minor spoilerish questions regarding the early Mexico missions:

So what's going on? I help Landon Ricketts and I'm killing Mexican soldiers. I help De Santos and I'm killing rebels. Seems like I'm fighting both sides at once. I've only done two missions for each of them but it seems strange to me. Is there any order I should be doing the missions to maximise the number of missions I clear because it seems like helping either too much might cut off access to the other's mission strand?

Rockstar doesn't work that way, too complex!

(Man, doing these last missions is souring me on the game just a tad)

eznark

Banned
Deepack said:
They serve their purpose

I'm pretty sure I can see where this is going, and I am pretty sure I am not going to like it.

also, saving the worst voice actor for last, Abigail, is a travesty considering how fantastic it has been so far.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
SamuraiX- said:
Grizzly_Tall_Trees.gif

now get one for tanners reach aka Cougar House :D

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
eznark said:
Rockstar doesn't work that way, too complex!

I remember there being a string of missions like that in GTA3, where you could miss out on some if you did others first. I guess they'd never do that now in the era of trophies/achievements.

levious said:
I remember there being a string of missions like that in GTA3, where you could miss out on some if you did others first. I guess they'd never do that now in the era of trophies/achievements.

Yeah, people back then got pissed. It would definitely be a lot worse now with achievement/trophies. I always thought it was kind of cool.

Haunted

ElyrionX said:

So what's going on? I help Landon Ricketts and I'm killing Mexican soldiers. I help De Santos and I'm killing rebels. Seems like I'm fighting both sides at once. I've only done two missions for each of them but it seems strange to me. Is there any order I should be doing the missions to maximise the number of missions I clear because it seems like helping either too much might cut off access to the other's mission strand?
John wants to find Williamson and Escuela and doesn't really give a shit about either the Army or the Rebels (he has a clear distaste both of their leaders) - he just wants information and hopes that one of the sides will eventually get him to their targets as long as he keeps doing favours for them.

Seriously, though: You have to do both sides up until the end to finish Mexico, even if it's completely contrary to John's personality as presented so far - Rockstar apparently doesn't give a shit about character integrity in that portion, it's just pretty badly written, you are not the first one to question the structure in this part. :p

eznark

Banned
levious said:

Yeah, I think that was the last time they did that. One recent podcast was talking about how they haven't done missable missions in awhile.

I wish they would structure it so that you weren't able to fuck up the story. I was getting bitched at my one Mexican side for doing missions for the other, even though I hadn't met the other people. Landon was also bitching at me when I had only done his missions. It was strange.

Solo

ElyrionX said:

So what's going on? I help Landon Ricketts and I'm killing Mexican soldiers. I help De Santos and I'm killing rebels. Seems like I'm fighting both sides at once.

Someone hasn't seen Yojimbo or Fistful of Dollars....

eznark

Banned
Solo said:
Someone hasn't seen Yojimbo or Fistful of Dollars....

Yeah, but at least there is some subterfuge and misdirection there. Marston just flat out says "hey guys, I'm working for both sides" and no one seems too bothered while its going on.

Solo

eznark said:
Yeah, but at least there is some subterfuge and misdirection there. Marston just flat out says "hey guys, I'm working for both sides" and no one seems too bothered while its going on.

I recall DeSanto and Luisa each questioning my loyalty several times.

Lothars

Haunted said:
John wants to find Williamson and Escuela and doesn't really give a shit about either the Army or the Rebels (he has a clear distaste both of their leaders) - he just wants information and hopes that one of the sides will eventually get him to their targets as long as he keeps doing favours for them.

Seriously, though: You have to do both sides up until the end to finish Mexico, even if it's completely contrary to John's personality as presented so far - Rockstar apparently doesn't give a shit about character integrity in that portion, it's just pretty badly written, you are not the first one to question the structure in this part. :p

I found it was actually decent how they explained it because he's just trying to get answers plus John seems to like Abraham Reyes and support his cause but I don't know I never had an issue with how it's presented.

anddo0

levious said:

I kinda miss the days of missable missions in R* games.

Mexico was huge missed opportunity. The GTA3 formula would have been welcomed. As for trophies/achievements, they could have easily split into two trophies/achievements, one for helping the
rebels
and another for helping the
army
. All while adding replay value.

Solo said:
I recall DeSanto and Luisa each questioning my loyalty several times.

The problem is they questioned his loyalty even though he had yet to work with the other side. It felt disjointed.

eznark

Banned
Just finished. I'm pretty convinced common video game concepts make it impossible to end a game this way in a satisfying manner.

There are what, 15 guys outside the barn? Marston kills hundreds of guys, often dozens at a time. Hell, you just got done slaughtering dozens from behind a rock. Why would he not just shoot them all from inside the barn? The only reason is because it doesn't fit the ending, which is annoying and a real problem for video games.

Loved the atmosphere, loved just about all of the voice work, aside from Abigail. Obviously loved the world. I do not see how people claim the world is empty. Maybe it isn't bustling with people, but it is just as alive. I found there was nothing interesting to do in GTAIV, but in RDR I could barely get from one mission to the next without stopping to do ten things along the way. I much prefer this style of populated world, populated with cool shit instead of people to bump into. It also fits the period. I also really loved the way Rockstar used music and sound cues.

Hated the story. It was disjointed and pretty stupid all in all. It was useful I guess for moving the game along, but it is certainly not the reason to play the game. I also disliked the way Marston treated Uncle. What the fuck, dude. Made me like the character less. See above for my thoughts on the ending.

Lastly, while obvious from the moment the kid talks about the
revenge
adventure he was reading, the last scene before dropping you back into the world is fantastic.

This was, unquestionably, the best game Rockstar has ever made. For me it isn't even a discussion (although, this is pretty much the first R* game I've found above average). It's also on the same level as ME2 and SMG2 for me this year. I never go back to a game after I have completed it, and I am definitely planning on doing more in this world. I'm the farthest thing from a completionist but I am planning on doing so much more in this game.

Solo

One thing I really love about the game is the VA. Kudos to R* for not getting the same old tired VAs that are outplayed (Nolan North, etc.) and overused. Marston's VA in particular is the best Ive heard in years.

eznark

Banned
Solo said:
One thing I really love about the game is the VA. Kudos to R* for not getting the same old tired VAs that are outplayed (Nolan North, etc.) and overused. Marston's VA in particular is the best Ive heard in years.
He was good, but I didn't think he was even close to the best in the game. The first sheriff, Mr. McFarlane and Bonnie stand out to me.
jack and abigail were pretty terrible
although that might be just because of how good everyone else was.

Marvie_3

Banned
Solo said:
Agreed. The voice work was great.

Solo

eznark said:
He was good, but I didn't think he was even close to the best in the game. The first sheriff, Mr. McFarlane and Bonnie stand out to me.
jack and abigail were pretty terrible
although that might be just because of how good everyone else was.

Everyone Ive heard so far has been great. Marston, Ricketts, Irish, Dickens, Seth, etc. All around fantastic cast. I havent hit the final area yet, but I assume the VA work remains strong throughout.

eznark

Banned
Solo said:
Everyone Ive heard so far has been great. Marston, Ricketts, Irish, Dickens, Seth, etc. All around fantastic cast. I havent hit the final area yet, but I assume the VA work remains strong throughout.

Oh, sorry. I assumed you were done with the game. It gets weaker in the last area, in my opinion.

Anyone know if I can still do strangers quests? I need to do one called "Lights, Camera, Action" and didn't ever see it in the world. I have 13 done, and the flying machine one is still on my map so I assume I can do that no problem.

Solo

eznark said:
Anyone know if I can still do strangers quests? I need to do one called "Lights, Camera, Action" and didn't ever see it in the world. I have 13 done, and the flying machine one is still on my map so I assume I can do that no problem.

Armadillo. Outside the movie theatre.

Solo said:

What's crazy is that very few of them have any real history of VA work or acting work in general. I went to IMDB to look up the cast, and most of the major players have maybe 10 other performances listed. It's really quite amazing.

Solo

The Lamonster said:
Movie buffs: What are some good Westerns (besides the ones in the OP) that have the same feel as this game?

Watch the Leone and Ford movies. This game cribs mostly from them.

hey guys im doing the challanges and i was wondering could someone point me in the direction of some foxes? Im asking because im still on act 2 and i dont know if i have to go on to act 3 to find some of these animals

Dead Man

The Lamonster said:
Movie buffs: What are some good Westerns (besides the ones in the OP) that have the same feel as this game?

Solo said:
Solo is right, but also some of the Eastwood films. Things like The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Unforgiven match it in mood pretty well.

terrdactycalsrock said:
hey guys im doing the challanges and i was wondering could someone point me in the direction of some foxes? Im asking because im still on act 2 and i dont know if i have to go on to act 3 to find some of these animals
You should be able to find them north of the MacFarlane ranch.

Sanchito

Fellow Gaffers, I am trying to get the Bandito outfit and only lack winning a game of liars dice in Casa Madrugada. Only problem is, there is no one in the town! I didn't go in there and shoot up the place or anything. Am I hosed or will they respawn at some point?

The only dude that seems to hang around is a preacher or evangelist.. a couple of times I've seen him get killed by a snake. :lol

ckohler

eznark said:
Just finished. I'm pretty convinced common video game concepts make it impossible to end a game this way in a satisfying manner.

There are what, 15 guys outside the barn? Marston kills hundreds of guys, often dozens at a time. Hell, you just got done slaughtering dozens from behind a rock. Why would he not just shoot them all from inside the barn? The only reason is because it doesn't fit the ending, which is annoying and a real problem for video games.

I think you misunderstood what was happening.

John Marston knew it was only a matter of time before the government would come for him. He was, after all, the last remaining member of the van der Linde gang. When the U.S. Army arrived to kill him, he sent his son and wife away knowing that the only way they would ultimately be safe from his past would be for him to die. When he walks out of the barn, both doors flung wide open, he has already decided to die. Granted, he might as well take a few down with him. Yet, he never planned to leave his farm alive that day.

At least, that's how I saw it.

levious

The Lamonster said:

Hang Em High is a good one I didn't notice in the OP

eznark

Banned
ckohler said:
I think you misunderstood what was happening.

John Marston knew it was only a matter of time before the government would come for him. He was, after all, the last remaining member of the van der Linde gang. When the U.S. Army arrived to kill him, he sent his son and wife away knowing that the only way they would ultimately be safe from his past would be for him to die. When he walks out of the barn, both doors flung wide open, he has already decided to die. Granted, he might as well take a few down with him. Yet, he never planned to leave his farm alive that day.

At least, that's how I saw it.

I got what he was doing, I just didn't like the mechanics of it. I thought for sure leading up to that though he
was going to fake draw, or pull air. Seems like a common Western trope R* would have bitten

Fuck, I am missing one discovered area in New Austin...gah.

levious

eznark said:
Fuck, I am missing one discovered area in New Austin...gah.

me too, I hope it's not some bug, cause I was missing one in New Austin, yet had one discovered location in Mexico, even though I hadn't made it there yet, can you discover a location from across the river?

eznark

Banned
levious said:
me too, I hope it's not some bug, cause I was missing one in New Austin, yet had one discovered location in Mexico, even though I hadn't made it there yet, can you discover a location from across the river?

I just got it. Realized I hadn't bought the map on Bonnie's ranch.

Timber

I agree that Marston's death was inevitable. It's very much like the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and especially The Wild Bunch, in that Marston goes out swinging before biting the dust. He has to, since that's what his whole life has been about. It's a bit suicidal, but it makes sense. His death is the death of an era; he knows his time and his reckoning have come.

TxdoHawk

Question to those who have beaten the game. I am late in the game (I think). I just
did the first mission back at my ranch where you buy the cattle from Bonnie and herd it with John's son.
How far away from the end am I?

The Lamonster said:

Not a movie but one of the best shows ever, Deadwood, Im currently watching season 2 at the moment, HIGHLY recommended.

eznark

Banned
Timber said:
I agree that Marston's death was inevitable. It's very much like the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and especially The Wild Bunch, in that Marston goes out swinging before biting the dust. He has to, since that's what his whole life has been about. It's a bit suicidal, but it makes sense. His death is the death of an era; he knows his time and his reckoning have come.

Obviously. However,
Butch and Sundance kill what, half a dozen people through that entire movie? They aren't essentially indestructible killing machines in cowboy hats.

As I said, it's a video game problem, not necessarily specific to this game. The way you play the game is in direct conflict with the way it ends.
He needed to be unarmed for that ending to work better, imo.

txdo, you have like an hour or so.

Lothars

eznark said:
As I said, it's a video game problem, not necessarily specific to this game. The way you play the game is in direct conflict with the way it ends.
He needed to be unarmed for that ending to work better, imo.

txdo, you have like an hour or so.

I disagree, I think if he was unarmed it would hurt the ending more than him being armed because at least he goes out fighting which I prefer.

eznark

Banned
Lothars said:
I disagree, I think if he was unarmed it would hurt the ending more than him being armed because at least he goes out fighting which I prefer.

yeah, story wise it is better but it is in direct contrast to your experiences the last 20+ hours with the character. If he has a gun he is essentially unkillable...unless they had cougars! Or, they just shouldn't let him get his weapon out before gunning him down. My experience with the game was that if you had a gun out, you could kill an infinite number of enemies, which is why the mechanics of the ending were out of place to me.

Timber

Solo said:
Crib is not the right word to use here. And it owes more to Peckinpah than to the other two chaps, IMO.

eznark said:
Obviously. However,
Butch and Sundance kill what, half a dozen people through that entire movie? They aren't essentially indestructible killing machines in cowboy hats.
If memory serves, they kill a lot more in the final shootout. And I think Marston
has resigned himself to die. The game, much like many westerns since The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, presents itself as a eulogy or swan song to the old west. And much like the eponymous Wild Bunch, Marston knows his time has come. He embodies the old west, and therefore he has to die. And that he has killed many, many men is precisely the reason why his death is inevitable, and why it happens the way it does. Sure, he could have attempted to fled the barn or drawn his enemies out one by one while chugging health items in pure video game style, but that wouldn't have suited the game's theme. If you allow the game some poetic license then Marston's death doesn't seem at all incongruous.

dreamer3kx said:
Not a movie but one of the best shows ever, Deadwood, Im currently watching season 2 at the moment, HIGHLY recommended.
Thanks, it's already on my list! And thanks everyone for the other recommendations too.

ElyrionX

Haunted said:

I don't think it's so much the character integrity as it is about the logic of it. I mean, wouldn't
the people from both sides spot him doing things for the other side and question him about it?

eznark

Banned
Timber said:
Crib is not the right word to use here. And it owes more to Peckinpah than to the other two chaps, IMO.

If memory serves, they kill a lot more in the final shootout. And I think Marston
has resigned himself to die. The game, much like many westerns since The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, presents itself as a eulogy or swan song to the old west. And much like the eponymous Wild Bunch, Marston knows his time has come. He embodies the old west, and therefore he has to die. And that he has killed many, many men is precisely the reason why his death is inevitable, and why it happens the way it does. Sure, he could have attempted to fled the barn or drawn his enemies out one by one while chugging health items in pure video game style, but that wouldn't have suited the game's theme. If you allow the game some poetic license then Marston's death doesn't seem at all incongruous.

I think this is the sixth time I have said it or so.
my problem is not that he dies. That he will die is obvious from the into train discussion and the hammering home of "the future is coming" theme throughout the entire game. My problem is the mechanic, and again, I don't see how they could have done it and still made the game fun. It's a difficult situation that many, many games face in the end, especially games that try to kill a main character. KZ2, anyone...why not just zap his ass alive again?!!?

I think it would have been easy to fix. Throughout the game you run out of bullets often. During the last stand, Marston should run out of ammo. It solves every mechanical problem I had with the ending. He dies (like he obviously has to), he goes out fighting, but the game is mechanically consistent all the way through the end

If true, it's much more Rifleman than Wild Bunch. In a lot of ways, especially the ending, it reminds me of The Gunfighter (the greatest Western of all time).

Just finished the mission
where you are helping De Santa get to the ruins, when you first get the sniper rifle
How much do I have left. I hope to god a bunch more, I don't want this game to end:D

Also, I missed the Mexico music as well...

eznark

Banned
AvidNobody said:
Just finished the mission
where you are helping De Santa get to the ruins, when you first get the sniper rifle
How much do I have left. I hope to god a bunch more, I don't want this game to end:D

Also, I missed the Mexico music as well...

Tons.

Top Bottom