• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

So, who is going to make this their desktop background?

reddeadredemption_sexinglivestock_800x600.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/downloads

elwes

Klocker said:

While I would normally agree with you on this, I've seen my fair share of "crappy movies" based off of trailers alone. Even then, if the movie is getting great reviews, seeing some footage will guarantee that I go see it.

Also wanted to note:

Klocker said:
agreed that the voice work is great but what is unappreciated to me is the subtle eye and facial expressions are friggin PERFECT for today's tech

The Blackwater mission where
you have to rescue the crazy, Yale professor from Dutch and his men has the best example of this. The professor is like "What are we going to do?" and John is like "I'm going to hand you over and let them tear you limb from limb!" The professor freaks out only to have John say "Just kidding, we're going out on the roof." The character interaction combined with John and the professor's expressions had me cracking up.

WEGGLES

Klocker said:
without even seeing you and even behind brush in fact
Yeah :[

I set mine to casual to attempt to live long enough to find a new game (Dying closes menu? :|)

And it doesn't lock on for me some time which is a bother too.

Zeliard

I love Ricketts. Reminds me so much of Keith Carradine as Wild Bill Hickock from Deadwood. I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly who the character was modeled after.

Nelo Ice said:
yeah john deserved a happy ending but it does make sense for the story since ross was an ahole and wanted john dead the whole time also i really hope they give us an expansion where jack becomes a badass like his dad or a prequel of john being in dutchs gang

I still want an expansion where you go into WW1. Considering John's son has the required age at the end.

Patrick Bateman said:
I still want an expansion where you go into WW1. Considering John's son has the required age at the end.

A free roam world in the middle of a war? Could be fun...if you stay away from the trenches, anyway.

Jamesfrom818 said:
A free roam world in the middle of a war? Could be fun...if you stay away from the trenches, anyway.

Again: They could make it like in "Legends of the Fall" or they could include famous battles of the US-forces e.g. the Battle of Belleau Wood.

797px-Scott_Belleau_Wood.jpg

It would be quite interesting, in my opinion.

I have to say I'm extremely satisfied with RDR. Just finished the game. It surpasses GTA in every way possible, especially in the story, atmosphere, and character departments. There are a few tiny problems here and there but overall, it's one of my favorite sandbox games ever, and one of the best games I've played this year.

Now to go through and finish off some of those Challenges and Achievements...Also really looking forward to the Co-Op DLC.

SamuraiX-

Meus Renaissance said:
Watching the tribute videos to the game and it
breaks my heart when I see John's face when he realises he'll never see his family again. He walks to his death.

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS VIDEO, MASSIVE SPOILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9isVyeVbMgM

Song fits it perfectly

Yeah. Song fits perfectly to that scene better than any. Amazing.

I really like this music video, personally. Well edited and great choice of song not from the OST to summarize the entire game.

Contains spoilers from most of the game. Do not watch unless you have already completed the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73BezSKcjp8

Mr. Sam

Just finished the game.
Dragged Ross' wife behind my horse until she died, fire bottled his brother and blew him into the river. Justice has been served, bitch. Your hands upon... a dead man's gun, and you're... looking down the sights... :'( GODDAMIT, JOHN!

SamuraiX-

Mr. Sam said:
Just finished the game.
Dragged Ross' wife behind my horse until she died, fire bottled his brother and blew him into the river. Justice has been served, bitch. Your hands upon... a dead man's gun, and you're... looking down the sights... :'( GODDAMIT, JOHN!

Fuck me. Now that's what I'm talking about! I never did anything to his wife because I thought the game would tell me to kill her, but never did. His brother got attacked by a pack of wolves and I riddled Ross' body with bullets. I'm about to replay that mission and finish it off right.

Sanic

I'm a bit into
Mexico
and...ehhh, I no longer feel like continuing. The characters and missions seem to become less interesting as time goes on (seriously, it feels like every other mission is just a shooting gallery, regardless of how they dress it up). Tell me things pick up?

Aspiring

So i need to know, when you finish the game, can you roam around and finish off challenges and stuff? Have not finished it yet, but it must be soon
i just got reunited with my wife and kid
Also how long to go roughly?

Mr. Sam

Aspiring said:
So i need to know, when you finish the game, can you roam around and finish off challenges and stuff? Have not finished it yet, but it must be soon
i just got reunited with my wife and kid
Also how long to go roughly?

Not long. Half a dozen missions roughly. And yes, you can still roam around and do the remaining challenges.

SamuraiX-

Pandoracell said:
I'm a bit into
Mexico
and...ehhh, I no longer feel like continuing. The characters and missions seem to become less interesting as time goes on (seriously, it feels like every other mission is just a shooting gallery, regardless of how they dress it up). Tell me things pick up?

The story missions toward the end of
Mexico
start to pick up, imo. And all the story missions after that were amazing from my perspective. You definitely want to keep playing to see the ending of this one. You'd honestly be doing yourself a disservice if you quit now.

Sanic

SamuraiX- said:
The story missions toward the end of
Mexico
start to pick up, imo. And all the story missions after that were amazing from my perspective. You definitely want to keep playing to see the ending of this one. You'd honestly be doing yourself a disservice if you quit now.

Yeah, that's what everyone is saying and I really want to see that ending, but then I realize that the missions are no longer fun and i'm only 1/3 of the way through the game :lol. Rockstar has crafted a fantastic world, but i've come to realize that I just don't like their mission designs at all.

I will, however, attempt to press on. Let's just hope
Mexio
doesn't last too long.

rc213

So how do you know which is a better horse? If I break a wild horse and bring him to my shack and hitch him why does he disappear? Am I missing a step?

Also when a horse dies I call it after a few but it's sometimes a different horse. Damn cougars!!!!

Mr. Sam said:
Same. Poetic.

Me too. :lol
2 In the crotch and the rest of the magazine in the face

As far as end game thoughts:
I never thought a video game could make me feel as sad but that last scene with Bonnie was so heart wrenching. And even that had nothing on when my horse was killed by some stray bullet from some bandits. Once I got to the great plains I had it set in my mind to get one of those fast American Standardbreds. As I was riding it back to blackwater my old faithful horse was following me back to Blackwater. I had to hop off and gave him one last ride into town, went into the general store, bought the deed to the American Standardbred, and used it right there so I wouldn't have to see my old horse again. The decision haunted me the rest of the game. :lol The horse was fast, but it never seemed as loyal as that Kentucky Saddler, it was always too far from me and it never came right away when I called. The first thing I did with Jack was buy the deed for the KS and put him back on his father's true horse.

I loved this setting and even if it wasn't really all that accurate with the state of civilization in the West. I'd love to see them revisit this era (maybe a couple decades earlier). I hope they continue the Rockstar tradition of not returning to the same characters though. I feel like we've seen all we need to of John Marston's (and Jack's) life. Even if they do single player DLC, I hope they do it like the Liberty City episodes and focus on someone/something new.

DonMigs85

I tried loading a save and the game just got stuck on the loading screen so I had to quit to the XMB. Is this another common bug?

rc213 said:
So how do you know which is a better horse? If I break a wild horse and bring him to my shack and hitch him why does he disappear? Am I missing a step?

Also when a horse dies I call it after a few but it's sometimes a different horse. Damn cougars!!!!

To know which horse is a better horse look at the number of stars on the deed in the general store. Or consult this list http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Horses#Breeds

Basically you want one of the top 3 horses. You can make a horse "yours" by lassoing it, breaking it, and hitching it to a post somewhere, but if it dies, it's gone. You can "own" it by purchasing a deed for it. Then even if it dies you can use your deed and the same breed of horse will come when you whistle.

To purchase a deed for one of the top 3 horses you need to have found them and broken them in the wild. Until then the deeds will be unavailable. You break the Kentucky Saddler during one of the early Bonnie missions. It's the 2nd fastest horse in the game and my favorite horse. The other two are found in Mexico and West Elizabeth.

k... I'm stuck at 97.7% done... >_<

I already beat the game
including the last stranger with Jack
did all stranger missions
did all hideouts
played and won at least once in every mini game type
finished all challenges
Did at least one of each side job (aka horses, night watch)
have all costumes the 24 hour one
tamed all 3 star horses

so if I beat the 24 hour thing for the costume will I have 100% or what am I missing?

Sanic

There were some odd decisions made with the writing/mission design:
so i'm in Mexico doing a mission with Landon Ricketts, we need to go rescue some guy's sister from a cave. Well, first, we need to have Carl waste some time with a distraction that removes two guards from the mouth of the cave...only for Landon and I to go shoot up 20+ guys in the cave. Why did we need this distraction again? :lol

RelentlessRolento said:

I already beat the game
did all hideouts
finished all challenges
tamed all 3 star horses

so if I beat the 24 hour thing for the costume will I have 100% or what am I missing?
Bounties. I still have to do a few.

Also, you need to do a job once per location. So anywhere there's a night watch job, you need to complete the job at least once in that location.

rasberryjam said:
Bounties. I still have to do a few.

Also, you need to do a job once per location. So anywhere there's a night watch job, you need to complete the job at least once in that location.

ok cool, I'll do bounties tonight then.

Finished the main game. One of the best I've ever played.
After killing Ross I bought a newspaper and there it said that John Marston was still a member of the gang by the time Ross killed him, kinda odd I guess. Also, it said that Landon Ricketts died and left his memoir but would not be published. Does anyone know if it's possible to find his grave and what he wrote?

Dead Man

Meus Renaissance said:
Watching the tribute videos to the game and it
breaks my heart when I see John's face when he realises he'll never see his family again. He walks to his death.

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS VIDEO, MASSIVE SPOILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9isVyeVbMgM

Song fits it perfectly
My favourite so far is this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrXMq-m29og Same song, also massive spoilers, but edited so well. Done by a Gaffer, can't remember who though, sorry.

Pandoracell said:
I'm a bit into
Mexico
Keep going, you are in what I thought was the weakest part of the story.

SamuraiX-

LSauchelli said:
Finished the main game. One of the best I've ever played.
After killing Ross I bought a newspaper and there it said that John Marston was still a member of the gang by the time Ross killed him, kinda odd I guess. Also, it said that Landon Ricketts died and left his memoir but would not be published. Does anyone know if it's possible to find his grave and what he wrote?

It was supposed to be a hatred/revenge moment for Jack and the player. John was no longer a member of Dutch's gang, we all knew that. What more than likely happened is that he went into Ross' report as still being part of the gang and that's why he had to be killed, just so more credit and medals could go to Ross. Makes me want to replay that final mission over and over again. I wish we would have a choice for us not to let it end in a duel, but rather give us the opportunity to kill him however we pleased. That pathetic piece a trash didn't deserve an honorable death.

RelentlessRolento said:

I already beat the game
did all hideouts
finished all challenges
tamed all 3 star horses

Try http://socialclub.rockstargames.com if it works for you. Get an account. Go to games. RDR. 100%. I got 100% yesterday and mined is still synced at 81.1%. :-/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Around 98.7% right now, should finish it up soon. I just got the Legend of the West costume, finally. The last survivalist challenge made my pretty much wipe out the entire habitat of bears.

This, with the utmost of sincerity, is my game of this console generation, bar none. It took all the little gripes I had with open world games, added purpose and memorable characters, and offered a climax most developers only wish they had the balls to do.

Fucking props to the development team. God damn.

TTG

RelentlessRolento said:

I already beat the game
did all hideouts
finished all challenges
tamed all 3 star horses

I think that costume adds a 0.5%, I did it last. Buy all the houses available, do the bounties... that's about it.

JMizzlin

AvidNobody said:
I hate to bump, but the three of us were really looking forward to a LAN Red Dead party tonight. Any ideas?

Have you downloaded the update? I understand an update was released to fix some system link problems with the shipping title. Try getting an internet connection and updating each PS3 with the game.

Brizzo24

So this is sort of odd. I think it happened when i joined the R* Social Club online, and received the camel colored elegant suit as bonus. Suddenly, I noticed the holster that normally houses my selected rifle is MIA. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix? I've restarted the game, turned it on and off, loaded another save, swapped out new outfits (you name it, i've tried it)...and nothing has worked. It's not game hampering, but it is annoying.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4670689989_77a31c5e5d.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1305/4670689935_0ae505841b.jpg

EDIT: (360/Other?) Rifle/Shotgun/Repeater holster disappears, making it appear as if the gun on your back is attached by nothing. To fix, get arrested and when you exit the prison it will be on your back again.

fixed.

Irish

Untitled-1.jpg

I really wanted the Savvy Merchant outfit to be included in the game. :(

ENDING spoilers:

It would have fit perfectly for Jack. Anyway, I really like the idea of Jack becoming a war hero.

Top Bottom