• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

georgc

Is there anyway to get the onld dead eye back? I just got the one where u get the little red X when you aim. I just want the free shot one back.

Dead Man

eznark said:
I think this is the sixth time I have said it or so.
my problem is not that he dies. That he will die is obvious from the into train discussion and the hammering home of "the future is coming" theme throughout the entire game. My problem is the mechanic, and again, I don't see how they could have done it and still made the game fun. It's a difficult situation that many, many games face in the end, especially games that try to kill a main character. KZ2, anyone...why not just zap his ass alive again?!!?

I think it would have been easy to fix. Throughout the game you run out of bullets often. During the last stand, Marston should run out of ammo. It solves every mechanical problem I had with the ending. He dies (like he obviously has to), he goes out fighting, but the game is mechanically consistent all the way through the end

If true, it's much more Rifleman than Wild Bunch. In a lot of ways, especially the ending, it reminds me of The Gunfighter (the greatest Western of all time).
Or, just give him a pistol and no long arm. I don't think I've had a time facing 10-15 guys at close range with guns drawn and survived though. Maybe I just suck at the game!

georgc said:
Is there anyway to get the onld dead eye back? I just got the one where u get the little red X when you aim. I just want the free shot one back.
You'll get something better.

georgc said:
Continue the story, Dead Eye 3 lets you mark what you want - Dead Eye 2 can be annoying with the auto mark.

eznark

Banned
Dead Man said:
Or, just give him a pistol and no long arm. I don't think I've had a time facing 10-15 guys at close range with guns drawn and survived though. Maybe I just suck at the game!

You'll get something better.

I hated the cover so I usually just ran into the middle of a hideout, dead eyed, shot til dead eye came back, then dead eyed anyone who was left. So maybe my cavalier style is the reason I found the ending so incongruous. I haven't heard anyone talk about the ending yet, am I the only one with this minor complaint (and really, it is a tiny, tiny complaint)

Havok

eznark said:
I think this is the sixth time I have said it or so.
my problem is not that he dies. That he will die is obvious from the into train discussion and the hammering home of "the future is coming" theme throughout the entire game. My problem is the mechanic, and again, I don't see how they could have done it and still made the game fun. It's a difficult situation that many, many games face in the end, especially games that try to kill a main character. KZ2, anyone...why not just zap his ass alive again?!!?

I think it would have been easy to fix. Throughout the game you run out of bullets often. During the last stand, Marston should run out of ammo. It solves every mechanical problem I had with the ending. He dies (like he obviously has to), he goes out fighting, but the game is mechanically consistent all the way through the end

If true, it's much more Rifleman than Wild Bunch. In a lot of ways, especially the ending, it reminds me of The Gunfighter (the greatest Western of all time).
The part that I didn't like about Marston's death is that it's not like you couldn't have taken all of those guys out. I had been using the Mauser Pistol since I got it, since it has a 15 round clip, and there couldn't have been too many more than that, but instead it forced me into using the Cattleman, with only six shots. I just feel like the situation forced the player out of all the weapon choices he had made so far, and just wasn't very well thought out, since you're constantly getting ambushed in the game and surviving just fine. I think they should have gone in a different direction, one that also lead to his death, but perhaps not like that.

Dead Man

eznark said:
I hated the cover so I usually just ran into the middle of a hideout, dead eyed, shot til dead eye came back, then dead eyed anyone who was left. So maybe my cavalier style is the reason I found the ending so incongruous. I haven't heard anyone talk about the ending yet, am I the only one with this minor complaint (and really, it is a tiny, tiny complaint)
Spoilered just in case!
Yeah, I get how it can seem incongruous, for sure, I guess with my chicken play style I didn't notice so much. And as you say, it is a problem for almost all videogames. I think it happens a lot, when a custscene shows something you may have been able to avoid or defeat if it was during the action.

I still think it was a great way to end, even if I do hate Jacks voice!

Sanic

I don't think I fully understand dueling. Are you supposed to pull the right trigger as quickly as possible when the crosshair is red?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Pandoracell said:
I don't think I fully understand dueling. Are you supposed to pull the right trigger as quickly as possible when the crosshair is red?

when it's white, RB/R1 to mark spots

bryehn

I just started (maybe 3 hours) and I am completely in love with the game world. Getting almost an WRPG feel for it. I can see myself playing this for a very very long time. Love the way random events appear "out of nowhere".

Sanic

levious said:
when it's white, RB/R1 to mark spots

Ah, that explains it :lol Do you need to be quick about it? I mean, if I shoot him 5 times in the leg he'll still die, is there a reason to move up towards the head? I've only ever dueled 4 times, and I missed the instructions, so it all feels sort of random to me right now.

Dead Man

Pandoracell said:
Ah, that explains it :lol Do you need to be quick about it? I mean, if I shoot him 5 times in the leg he'll still die, is there a reason to move up towards the head? I've only ever dueled 4 times, and I missed the instructions, so it all feels sort of random to me right now.
The instructions in the game are terrible. If you get one good head shot or weapon shot, it should fill the bar up most of the way. Whoever has the most filled, wins.

levious

Pandoracell said:

go for a disarm, I think just getting the one shot placed while white is more important than quickness, assuming you mark it prior to his gun drawing animation finishing.

Don't know if focusing just on the legs will do it though.

Sanic

Dead Man said:
The instructions in the game are terrible. If you get one good head shot or weapon shot, it should fill the bar up most of the way. Whoever has the most filled, wins.

Cool, thanks. And yes, they are rather bad. "Hey, lets throw 5 pages of instructional material at the player in a small box in the corner of the screen as they attempt to do something else!"

Dead Man

Pandoracell said:
Cool, thanks. And yes, they are rather bad. "Hey, lets throw 5 pages of instructional material at the player in a small box in the corner of the screen as they attempt to do something else!"
Yeah. Not just that, they don't actually explain it at all. All the instructions are a bit like that, with the small boxes as you are trying to actually do something on screen. They should have just put all of the instructions for the mini games in the damn manual.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Darkflight said:
Continue the story, Dead Eye 3 lets you mark what you want - Dead Eye 2 can be annoying with the auto mark.

Tell me about it, it auto marks rabbits, horse asses, etc. I changed to expert mode, much better for non-dead eye shooting.

Klocker

Skiptastic said:
What's crazy is that very few of them have any real history of VA work or acting work in general. I went to IMDB to look up the cast, and most of the major players have maybe 10 other performances listed. It's really quite amazing.

agreed that the voice work is great but what is unappreciated to me is the subtle eye and facial expressions are friggin PERFECT for today's tech
until we see LA NOIR.
Never has a game been able to convey emotion or thought to me through visual cues as much as this one ME2 included.

55% of communication is visual and this game nails it.

NameIess

Klocker said:
agreed that the voice work is great but what is unappreciated to me is the subtle eye and facial expressions are friggin PERFECT for today's tech
until we see LA NOIR.
Never has a game been able to convey emotion or thought to me through visual cues as much as this one ME2 included.

I guess you have not played Uncharted 1/2 or Heavenly Sword, because both titles do an excellent job with facial expressions and great voice acting. I would say Red dead ranks right up there with these titles and considering it's multiplatform thats an impressive feat.

Red Dead is the best title released in 2010 thus far...

Garryk

The Lamonster said:
Movie buffs: What are some good Westerns (besides the ones in the OP) that have the same feel as this game?

Another vote for Hang 'Em High. The pics in the OP are blocked at work so I don't know if there will be any overlap:

Unforgiven is fan-freakin-tastic
Pale Rider
Silverado
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Deadwood Seasons 1-2
Back to the Future III
lol

Klocker said:
until we see LA NOIR.

Yeah, true. In my opinion better than Heavy Rain. Marston eyes, his mimic, and of course the strabic eyes of Dela. Everything is perfect. Wow!

Garryk said:
Another vote for Hang 'Em High. The pics in the OP are blocked at work so I don't know if there will be any overlap:

Pale Rider
Silverado
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Deadwood Seasons 1-2
Back to the Future III
lol

And please, don't forget They call him Trinity, not so popular but Fun and badass at the same time. Amazing movie!

Garryk said:

Pale Rider
Silverado
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Deadwood Seasons 1-2
Back to the Future III
lol

Is season 3 not good? Im on two right now, why no mention?

Klocker

NameIess said:
I guess you have not played ...

Red Dead is the best title released in 2010 thus far...

never said other titles were not good at it as well...only from the games I have seen that THIS has not been mentioned about this game in this thread AFAIK and it needs to be.

oh and LA NOIR is using tech to allegedly break all the rules. :D

dreamer3kx said:
Deadwood is fucking fantastic all throughout, just could have used another season or the two movies that were supposed to have been made to put a nice bow on the entire story.

Garryk

dreamer3kx said:

The season 3 finale is so god-awful it ruins the whole season. There is so much buildup for a big showdown and then nothing happens and the series is over.

Klocker

Garryk said:
The season 3 finale is so god-awful it ruins the whole season.
There is so much buildup for a big showdown and then nothing happens
and the series is over.

Season 3 is still great, not as good as 1 but great compared to anything else on TV ever, great. :D

and the series was pulled before it had a chance to reach it's apex, hence your
all of our
disappointment with the finale.

there was supposed to be a concluding movie but we got screwed. As brilliant as HBO is, they astound me with their programming decisions at times.

Spike

The Lamonster said:
Movie buffs: What are some good Westerns (besides the ones in the OP) that have the same feel as this game?

Well, looking at the posts since your question, most of the really good westerns have been covered.

But, I will offer something to your question. A couple of comic series, actually. Jonah Hex is quite possibly the best western comic ever. Read it. Also, there was a mini series called Loveless from DC's Vertigo line. You may like that as well.

Garryk said:

Pale Rider
Silverado
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Deadwood Seasons 1-2
Back to the Future III
lol
Thanks, those are all on my list. ...except BttF3 :lol (seen it a million times)

My list has basically become a list of the greatest Western movies ever:

Stagecoach (1939)
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
High Noon (1952)
Shane (1953)
The Searchers (1956)
A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)
Major Dundee (1965)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Hang ‘Em High (1968)
The Wild Bunch (1969)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
High Plains Drifter (1973)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
The Shootist (1976)
Pale Rider (1985)
Silverado (1985)
Young Guns (1988)
Lonesome Dove (1989)
Dances with Wolves (1990)
Unforgiven (1992)
Tombsone (1993)
Wyatt Earp (1994)
The Quick and the Dead (1995)
Open Range (2003)
Deadwood (2004)
The Proposition (2005)
Seraphim Falls (2006)
The Assassination of Jesse James (2007)
3:10 to Yuma (2007)

bryehn said:
I just started (maybe 3 hours) and I am completely in love with the game world. Getting almost an WRPG feel for it. I can see myself playing this for a very very long time. Love the way random events appear "out of nowhere".

Same. I just wanted to keep riding forever and ignore the tutorial missions in the beginning. I'm really digging it. I want to jump into MP, but I can't stop playing SP.

Has anything been made out of the font? A little small and squished on my HDTV, a little annoying.

It's also annoying how the game decides to put things in the corner to read while characters are telling you something, or while you're doing something.

Either way, shaping up to be awesome. I like how horse riding isn't like a car, your horse takes skill. That bitch kept throwing me off and I had no idea why..of course, because the game explained that in text while something else was going on. Gotta love that journal.

Garryk said:
The season 3 finale is so god-awful it ruins the whole season. There is so much buildup for a big showdown and then nothing happens and the series is over.

Could you please refrain from fucking spoiling it for anyone that wants to watch it??

Jesus fucking christ you're a rude cunt.

Dead Man

The Lamonster said:
You just reminded me - Dead Man would be on the list if I didn't already own it :lol
Then the name has served it's purpose! Very different from RDR of course, but such an amazing film.

levious

Dead Man said:
Then the name has served it's purpose! Very different from RDR of course, but such an amazing film.

it was the only western I had seen that really displayed the remoteness of the western territories at the time, I'm sure others did too, but none drove it home so strongly to me.

levious said:
it was the only western I had seen that really displayed the remoteness of the western territories at the time, I'm sure others did too, but none drove it home so strongly to me.
"Do you have any tobacco?"

Garryk

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Could you please refrain from fucking spoiling it for anyone that wants to watch it??

You're right, my overly detailed analysis of season 3's plot, execution, and conclusion has spoiled Deadwood for you. I apologize.

Yackie

Game ending spoilers:
I hate Jack! I hate having to finish up this game playing as him. His voice is annoying as hell. Every time he yells "Yeehaw!" its like nails on a chalkboard. It makes me not want to ride my horse anymore. He's not a badass like John was, it feels like I'm playing as some western hobo loser instead of an awesome cowboy/gunslinger-type. Luckily I have a game saved before John dies. I might go back to that save and tie up all the loose ends, and then finish the game :-/

Wha-wha-WHUT?

Not only is Season 3 of Deadwood amazing, its finale is one of the best in TV history, perfectly encapsulating every single thing the show was ever about in 53 minutes.

IT IS PERFECTION.

Dead Man

levious said:
Yeah, in terms of mood, it is so evocative. Isolation, remoteness, it just conveys them so well.
The Lamonster said:
"Do you have any tobacco?"
:D

elwes

Does anyone
play Jack differently than they play John? For some reason, I find myself being much more brutal. When I played as John, my first instinct when taking down criminals was to always lasso and never kill them. I felt bad killing them when I was John...like it went against his character and the kind of person he was trying to be. With Jack, I murder everything. Horse thieves, general store robbers, and even bounties that are worth more alive than dead. While John was a recovering outlaw trying to do right by the world while continually being forced to do things against his will, Jack is a jaded, vengeance driven youth who's sole reason to live is to seek revenge against the world that took his father away from him.

While it's clear that John influenced Jack in many ways and clearly set a precedent to be a good man when he grew up, John was an absent father for much of Jack's youth. He tried to make up for lost time at the end of the game, but aside from teaching him how to hunt and track, he didn't have enough time with him before he died to ensure that he never followed in his footsteps.

I just think it's interesting how John and Jack's upbringing both mirror each other but are vastly different. John was orphaned at a young age and barely knew his father. Because he was orphaned, Dutch recruited him into his gang and became his surrogate father. Jack was orphaned relatively young and became a gunslinger out of necessity and because that was the only thing that he could do to preserve the spirit of his father after his death. So many similarities, but in the end John became an outlaw to help people (i.e. steal from the rich, give to the less fortunate) whereas Jack becomes a gunslinger for the empty, soulless, and selfish reason of revenge.

Wow. Totally derailed there. Anyway, it just seems more natural to be brutal with Jack since he is fueled by despair and revenge. Plus, he's always scowling.

Or maybe his voice is so grating that it fills me with hatred for human life.

LabouredSubterfuge said:

This is a joke post right? I haven't seen Deadwood either and I can't imagine what his post is talking about. He's incredibly vague.

Klocker

DoctorWho said:
This is a joke post right? I haven't seen Deadwood either and I can't imagine what his post is talking about. He's incredibly vague.

yes, that's true
until you are watching the final episode and realize what he is vaguely talking about long before it's over

eznark

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:

How do you ever watch any show. A 30 second commercial spot has more spoilers. Good lord you are touchy. Spoiler alert, the show takes place in Deadwood.

I thought all of season 3 was bad. Especially that dude and the hookers story line. Just awful stuff.

Klocker

eznark said:
How do you ever watch any show. A 30 second commercial spot has more spoilers.

indeed the tv is littered with spoilers trying to attract people with no or little attention spans
nor memory evidently
to watch a show, it's disgusting. thank god for DVR and FF button past all of the spoiler crap.

movie trailers lately are another thing and are frigging ridiculous... are people really that distracted or stupid that you need to layout every decent scene in the movie including spoilers to get them to watch?

/rant

elwes

Klocker said:
movie trailers are another thing and are frigging ridiculous... are people really that distracted or stupid that you need to layout every decent scene in the movie including spoilers to get them to watch?

/rant

So I'm stupid because I like to know what I'm getting myself into before I actually go and watch a movie? Sure, there are certain movie trailers that give away too much of the plot and divulge all of the "best scenes." But I'm not going to walk into a movie if I haven't seen some amount of footage to gauge if it's even worth my time.

WEGGLES

Eel O'Brian said:
Why didn't you start a private free roam? Shooting other players is part of being in a public free roam.

EDIT: never mind, forgot about the achievement/trophy requiring public free roam, sorry.
Yeah usually do private. But figured we all may as well get the one achievment.

I know gettin killed is all part of it, but come on it's kinda ridiculous. It was 8 people surrounding me and 4 buddies killing us before we could even call up a horse. No chance :\

"Scrot3m Stomp3r casually executed WEGGLES"

The casual shit is the worst. They just lock onto you from miles away :\

Top Bottom