• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Ending discussion, relating to sequels

I personally hope they do what they did with the PS2 GTAs and not tie the games together directly, and that they don't go any further along the time line, going backwards would be preferable. Although they are set up perfectly for some Legends of the Fall kinda thing with Jack.

Nelo Ice

Banned
-DarKaoZ- said:
Edgar Ross should had died by the hands of Dutch or something! Then John Marston could live happy with his family! Seriously I'm Pissed... I didn't want Jack to turn into what John didn't want him to turn into.

yeah john deserved a happy ending but it does make sense for the story since ross was an ahole and wanted john dead the whole time also i really hope they give us an expansion where jack becomes a badass like his dad or a prequel of john being in dutchs gang

SamuraiX-

TheUsual said:
Damn the bears in Tall Trees! Thanks for the info on the raccoons, got them. I was in the process of getting elk skin and the big horn skin. Had about 3 of each, heading back to save. Get killed by a bear. Redo this area, got about 2 of each, killed by a bear again. Third time, I just get 2 Big Horn skins, on the way to save, 3 bears maul me!

Screw those bears!

Grizzly_Tall_Trees.gif

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, there's so many random events I didn't get until after I'd beaten the game.

Stagecoach robbery, man crying over his dead wife, giving a woman a ride to the next town. Never had any of them happen until I'd already finished the game. What? :lol

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Nelo Ice said:
yeah john deserved a happy ending but it does make sense for the story since ross was an ahole and wanted john dead the whole time also i really hope they give us an expansion where jack becomes a badass like his dad or a prequel of john being in dutchs gang

A nice ending would have been cool, if a little boring, but it would have wrecked the narrative. They are pointing out that he couldn't get away from his past life and it caught up to him.

I've got a question.

Why did John need to take a ferry to Blackwater if his home is the ranch at Beecher's Hope? Where the heck did he just come from?

Ember128 said:
I can now confirm that the AI cheats at Poker.

I was at the Blackwater High Stakes game, I have an Ace, and two Aces fall down on the table. Pretty secure hadn right?

One guy bets all in, despite me raising a fair amount. He must be pretty confident in his hand. How can that be?

I call, and he puts down double aces.

There were 5 fucking aces on the table. :lol It doesn't work that way!
Yeah. This happened to me once. What the Hell. I hope a patch comes out to fix this stuff, but I won't hold my breath.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Seraphis Cain said:
What if it's not a glitch though? What if the AI player is just cheating?

You should be able to call him a cheat and challenge him to a duel, like others do when they catch you cheating.

SamuraiX-

Jamesfrom818 said:
I've got a question.

Why did John need to take a ferry to Blackwater if his home is the ranch at Beecher's Hope? Where the heck did he just come from?

Seriously, I've been wondering about this. That's why it didn't make sense to me when they allowed me to go "home" to Beecher's Hope after the last mission. And Abigail said that they kept her and Jack "somewhere around here." So, indeed, the ferry doesn't make any sense at all. -.-

Seraphis Cain said:
What if it's not a glitch though? What if the AI player is just cheating?
I don't recall ever calling this a glitch. If cheating is a legitimate part of the game, then you should be able to call the opponent out. That never happened though.

Klocker

TheUsual said:
Damn the bears in Tall Trees! Thanks for the info on the raccoons, got them. I was in the process of getting elk skin and the big horn skin. Had about 3 of each, heading back to save. Get killed by a bear. Redo this area, got about 2 of each, killed by a bear again. Third time, I just get 2 Big Horn skins, on the way to save, 3 bears maul me!

Screw those bears!

buy a horse deed and call a new horse and it autosaves wherever you are with all skins in hand.

but yes, screw the bears. :D

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The most retarded part of the game so far IMHO is the dueling-tutorial halfway through. Come the fuck on, I've been doing this ever since I set foot in MacFarlane's Ranch.

soultron

Banned
Zeliard said:
They're designed to give players various things to do on their treks to certain waypoints, as well as to convey the notion that things are happening in the world independently of you. With many of the random events also featuring some sort of violence or deliberate negligence of the law, it also helps to emphasize the "Wild" aspect of that time period.

But the game also puts a great deal of emphasis on lonesomeness as opposed to solidarity. Marston has almost no relation to many of the characters other than they may have info that he needs - he's basically going through the journey on his own, the solo cowboy on an adventure. The environment in RDR is huge but isn't littered with a significant amount of structures or other human-built objects - this is very purposeful, since industrialization had only began to creep into the West during the game's time period, and large swaths of land were empty (outside of the resident wildlife).

Litter this game's map and game world with dots and objects like it's Saints Row or Just Cause and you lose a great deal of the immersiveness of the setting, and it also doesn't gel with the time period.
Agreed 100%.

I feel that focusing the design of a ~30 villages, gang hide outs, and cities were one of the best decisions Rockstar made with RDR. It allows them to craft perfect little details into the environments like clothes hanging from balconies, unique water fountains, and so on. The buildings do not look all the same and this lends to each town feeling like it was built from the ground up rather than using Building A with Texture E.

The expanse of open land(s) also takes on a character of its own due to the variety of wild life and random events occupying it. You didn't get this in GTA4 because you couldn't escape the city, as urban sprawl suffocated you -- as it should have in that game. Two different styles of game, but I think RDR just works better because there are two distinct focuses: open land and small pockets of civilisation. Each give us a distinct feel as they are crafted with such care.

Ramirez

Am I the only one annoyed by (endgame spoilers)
grown man Jack's voice acting? It's seriously bad compared to John.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ramirez said:

Only when he's yelling something. His normal speaking voice is fine. But I want to carve my ears off every time I hear "WORK YA DAMN NAG".

Ramirez said:
I think they should have used someone who sounded similar to but older than Jack, even though it's only been a few year's difference.

Dead Man

Ramirez said:
No, you are not alone.
I think it is also his attitude to his horse that shits me. The already mentioned 'Work ya damn nag'

SamuraiX-

Ramirez said:

It certainly doesn't compare. I mean, no offense, but did he really need to sound like such a hick? I guess it's not that really, but more of the tone of his voice. John's got the whole gruff, bold, striking voice while his son sounds like a schoolboy. The final duel would have been way more epic to me if Jack sounded even at least a little bit more like his father.

On a side note, does anyone know for the Gold Medal trophy/achievement if it's possible to get it by replaying one of the missions you've already played on your first save file? Or do I need to start a new game for that?

Edit: Never mind about the Gold Medal. Just got my answer. Love this website: http://reddead.wikia.com/

But I have another question about the "Mowing Them Down" trophy/achievement. I've only got a combined 187 kills with the gatling gun, browning gun, and cannon in single player... the website recommends going in multiplayer to do it, but is it possible to reload a mission that uses a stationary weapon and rack up the kills like that? Or do the stats not overlap?

Ramirez

SamuraiX- said:
It certainly doesn't compare. I mean, no offense, but did he really need to sound like such a hick? I guess it's not that really, but more of the tone of his voice. John's got the whole gruff, bold, striking voice while his son sounds like a schoolboy. The final duel would have been way more epic to me if Jack sounded even at least a little bit more like his father.

On a side note, does anyone know for the Gold Medal trophy/achievement if it's possible to get it by replaying one of the missions you've already played on your first save file? Or do I need to start a new game for that?

Edit: Never mind about the Gold Medal. Just got my answer. Love this website: http://reddead.wikia.com/

But I have another question about the "Mowing Them Down" trophy/achievement. I've only got a combined 187 kills with the gatling gun, browning gun, and cannon in single player... the website recommends going in multiplayer to do it, but is it possible to reload a mission that uses a stationary weapon and rack up the kills like that? Or do the stats not overlap?

What is the requirement for Gold? Is it mainly about time completion? I have tons of Silver medals where I also have a lot of headshots, so I'm confused as to what I'm doing wrong.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Medal

Answers all that...

confuziz

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
I've got a question.

Yea I also wondered the same thing..

SamuraiX- said:

I think it works well that he was so young... I actually think they shouldn't have "aged" his model as much as they did. I think that him sounding so young really hammers home the point that this is his starting point following the path of his late father. It strikes you that he's choosing a path at a crossroads, and it contrasts nicely with how much older John is and how much he wanted to settle down. Jack's outlaw life has just begun, and could John really have prevented it? Maybe it's in his blood. Was it John's decisions that doomed his son as well, or can the blame all be put on Edgar Ross?

Seraphis Cain said:
Only when he's yelling something. His normal speaking voice is fine. But I want to carve my ears off every time I hear "WORK YA DAMN NAG".

Am I the only person that enjoys it? It grows on you honestly.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I've got a question.

DLC
;)

Dead Man

timetokill said:
I think it works well that he was so young... I actually think they shouldn't have "aged" his model as much as they did. I think that him sounding so young really hammers home the point that this is his starting point following the path of his late father. It strikes you that he's choosing a path at a crossroads, and it contrasts nicely with how much older John is and how much he wanted to settle down. Jack's outlaw life has just begun, and could John really have prevented it? Maybe it's in his blood. Was it John's decisions that doomed his son as well, or can the blame all be put on Edgar Ross?
Maybe that is it, the disconnect between the model and the voice. It just does not work, for whatever reason.

BeeDog

What are the possible Home rewards? I have two sombreros in Home (for shooting of a bandit's hat, I think), but a day or two ago, another "PlayStation Home Reward Unlocked" popped up ingame, but I don't see anything in Home...?

For those looking for Skunks, I hunt them for 4 nights through the map before ending up between El Matadero and Alta Cabeza.

There, I hunt for several minutes at night with no result, then, 4 skunks appeared in a row and I got my hunter challenge in seconds.

Check over there, be patient, and open your eyes (you are looking for the white tail)

Denzar

OMG, I just discovered that a song plays when you enter fucking Mexico...

As soon as I entered Mexico I saved and quit the game.

I never heard the song... :(

Denzar

De4th Strike said:
Nevermind, it was cool at the time but compared to the credits song and one before the last act its pretty shitty

"Compass" was indeed great. I did what it was supposed to do...

Footos22

UnluckyKate said:
97.8% Legend of the West outfit aquired. What now ? Bounties in town ?

California mission ? (where can I find it ?)

Go to the outfits menu and press square or x depending what your playing it on to track the scrap on the map

Hes in gaptooth breach, easier to go directly north on your map up to the main road from the scratching post and then follow the road west.

you gotta find him another 3 times after that.

wotter

Can someone give me some tips how to duel (PS3)?
I win maybe 50% of them, but there doesn't seem to be a tutorial about this.

SamuraiX-

Holy shit. I had no idea multiplayer was this much fun. I tried to jump on the first day I got the game, but it kept kicking me out because of lag issues. Great. Now I feel hooked on multiplayer. :lol

Solo

57% done now. Just have the Reyes missions left and Im done with Mexico. This game is seriously starting to knock on Mass Effect (1)'s door for game of the gen.

Dead Man

wotter said:
Can someone give me some tips how to duel (PS3)?
I win maybe 50% of them, but there doesn't seem to be a tutorial about this.
You need to fire when the crosshair is at it's smallest. It is not explained in the game worth a damn. If you fire at the right moment, one shot should almost fill up the meter.

MMaRsu said:
cougarattack.gif

Wtf? :lol
That is one of my few compaints with the game, the animal AI is way too aggressive. Hunting would be much more fun if you actually had to track some of these animals, instead of being attacked by packs of critters that in reality are very antisocial. Meh, still good times though.

Solo said:
57% done now. Just have the Reyes missions left and Im done with Mexico. This game is seriously starting to knock on Mass Effect (1)'s door for game of the gen.
Well, you are about to start the best bit then. In my opinion. Less errand boy missions, and more focus.

Shaka

Jamesfrom818 said:
I've got a question.

Wondered this myself.:lol

De4th Strike said:
Go to the outfits menu and press square or x depending what your playing it on to track the scrap on the map

Hes in gaptooth breach, easier to go directly north on your map up to the main road from the scratching post and then follow the road west.

you gotta find him another 3 times after that.

I'll try this. Thank man.

ElyrionX

Some minor spoilerish questions regarding the early Mexico missions:

So what's going on? I help Landon Ricketts and I'm killing Mexican soldiers. I help De Santos and I'm killing rebels. Seems like I'm fighting both sides at once. I've only done two missions for each of them but it seems strange to me. Is there any order I should be doing the missions to maximise the number of missions I clear because it seems like helping either too much might cut off access to the other's mission strand?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kevin Butler pokes fun of RDR?

500x_yes_he_did.jpg

Top Bottom