• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Loxley

MarshMellow96 said:
After some time with the game, the general consensus is that the single-player is great, multiplayer not so much...

Yeah, I thought I'd really dig the multiplayer, but it's got some serious problems that need to be addressed.

With regards to free-roam, it's shockingly easy to spawn camp, hell the fact that you can spawn camp in an open world just screams bad design. A few days ago when I wasn't in a posse, I kept respawning on the exact same spot on this open field outside of Armadillo, and the same two high-rank assholes perched on a hill kept picking me off with their rifles, while I only had the first measly pea-shooter rifle you unlock, and since I was in the middle of an open field, I had no cover to run to. Eventually I just gave up and found a new free-roam to join.

The team-based more traditional modes can actually be pretty fun, but there's always two or three guys that are 20+ ranks above everyone else and just dominate the match. I do love the way matches start with the team vs team old-school duel, however.

So, "California" stranger's task. I did part one. Do I wait days to see this person again? Where can I find him in Part 2? I'm well past the main story to do anything at this point, although I still have Blackwater bounties to take care of.

So what aiming mode do you use? I use normal right now, but I'm thinking about changing to expert. Heard it's a pain one horseback though...

Edit: Also, did I fuck this stranger task up?
A woman told me to find her missing son near Hanging Rock, but all I found was a bloody shoe. Now it says the task is inactive. Can I still complete it? Can I get a 100% game without it?

TeTr1C

Just play on Expert. Shootouts are more rewarding, and on horseback use Dead Eye to replace auto-aiming.

Sniper McBlaze said:
A woman told me to find her missing son near Hanging Rock, but all I found was a bloody shoe. Now it says the task is inactive. Can I still complete it? Can I get a 100% game without it?

Just wait a while and look on the map. The quest will continue somewhere else.

Mik2121

Sniper McBlaze said:
So what aiming mode do you use? I use normal right now, but I'm thinking about changing to expert. Heard it's a pain one horseback though...

You have completed it for now, but later on you will find more people related to that quest in front of the sheriff office.

Sniper McBlaze said:

You didn't mess it up. Inactive means you won't hear anything about it for a few in-game days or some event triggers part two and beyond.

Edit:
And you can and can't fail Stranger tasks. Like, if you shoot the Stranger and the game says you failed, you can wait a few in-game days until it pops back up on the map.

phew, finally found a second cougar to insert my knife into.

I have played well over 20 hours and have seen 4 cougars total... i dont get the "cougars are everywhere" thing :D

Oh yeah and expert from the start of the game, no auto-aim. It´s too easy already on expert! And its supposed to be hard to hit from horseback, but then again you can always rely on instakills with Dead-eye.

Danielsan

Blehh I think I didn't get the music everyone talks about when I got into Mexico. :(

Noisepurge said:

I have played well over 20 hours and have seen 4 cougars total... i dont get the "cougars are everywhere" thing :D
Dude go to Rio Bravo and dare say that again.
I got attacked by a whole pack of them.
Must have shot at least 10 and there were more around.
They killed my horse as well as a two NPCs and their horses.

conman

Loxley said:
With regards to free-roam, it's shockingly easy to spawn camp, hell the fact that you can spawn camp in an open world just screams bad design. A few days ago when I wasn't in a posse, I kept respawning on the exact same spot on this open field outside of Armadillo, and the same two high-rank assholes perched on a hill kept picking me off with their rifles, while I only had the first measly pea-shooter rifle you unlock, and since I was in the middle of an open field, I had no cover to run to. Eventually I just gave up and found a new free-roam to join.
yeah. This happened to me, too. Worst part was that I was in the middle of the "complete all gang hideouts in a single session" achievement. Some asshats thought it would be great fun to spawn camp me at my fourth hideout. Tried to recruit others in the session to help, but no luck. I tried running away, but could never get away fast enough. My weapons were totally underpowered against them. So I was basically stuck. I ended up just leaving the game on until those idiots got tired of shooting a non-responsive player. Took them a good 15 mins of shooting my character before they finally decided to leave.

But I have to admit, it was kind of funny for a little while. Then the "joke" got old. Then it got really old.

Noisepurge said:

Oh yeah and expert from the start of the game, no auto-aim. It´s too easy already on expert! And its supposed to be hard to hit from horseback, but then again you can always rely on instakills with Dead-eye.

I swear they got patched... I used to see gangs of like 4 of them marching up Armadillo's main street, now I never see them.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Generally I'm not one for hyperbole but this game has blown me away. The attention to detail, the voice acting and atmosphere, the action and story. This might just be the best Rockstar game to date.

Endgame spoilers:
When you've fought yourself through Dutch's camp and faced him and then leave and hear that song (Compass) while riding back to your farm through the woods of the Great Plains -- it's brilliant.

UrbanRats

Noisepurge said:
Here´s to hoping that the next Rockstar game has Alpha Protocol -level cutscene options :D
It was their first game with honor/shame system, but it doesn't click perfectly with their classic nrrative system :D

WEGGLES said:
Yeah usually do private. But figured we all may as well get the one achievment.

I know gettin killed is all part of it, but come on it's kinda ridiculous. It was 8 people surrounding me and 4 buddies killing us before we could even call up a horse. No chance :\

"Scrot3m Stomp3r casually executed WEGGLES"

The casual shit is the worst. They just lock onto you from miles away :\

I can honestly say I feel your pain, now. I became stuck in a death loop trying to get away from a dude just now, and lost it a little bit. I was just standing on top of a building testing out the range of the rolling block rifle I had just earned (not shooting at anyone, just random things on the horizon), and he started in and didn't let up until I started cussing him :lol

evil ways

Just had a shitty glitch occur, after the
Williamson/Allende chase, I shot Williamson while Reyes shot Allende
, and the game just stayed there for about 6-7 minutes, not frozen but just with the camera stuck behind John and Reyes, without being able to move or do anything, no pause, no XMB. After a while the cutscene kicked in and everything was fine. The only reason I waited so long without resetting my PS3 was cause I forgot to save and didn't wanna take the long ass trip to trigger the mission and play it all over again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
evil ways said:
, and the game just stayed there for about 6-7 minutes, not frozen but just with the camera stuck behind John and Reyes, without being able to move or do anything, no pause, no XMB. After a while the cutscene kicked in and everything was fine. The only reason I waited so long without resetting my PS3 was cause I forgot to save and didn't wanna take the long ass trip to trigger the mission and play it all over again.

I think I discovered your issue!

Danielsan

UrbanRats said:
It's the major flaw, for me.
It's completely incoherent, if you play as an asshole.
I find myself unable to play an asshole in any game but I imagine it's pretty jarring if you play Marston as a dick and he remains the nice guy in the cut-scenes/missions.
Perhaps it's something to address in future Rockstar games.

I personally find it ridiculously mad that John is killing thousands of bandits just to gain favours from people he barely knows. It's the whole Rockstar errant boy nonsense that pops up in every GTA as well.

Other than that I'm really loving the game. Made it to Mexico today so I have a whole new third of the game to explore.

evil ways said:
The same thing happened to me on the 360, I waited and everything was fine after 5 mins or so.

Brandon F said:
Any tips for killing a bear with the knife? It's the challenge I am currently stuck on.

Here's how it went for me:

I found a spot where I can be fairly sure a bear will spawn. I get off my horse as soon as I see one, and then walk towards it.

I tried rolling and dodging but it didn't work so well. What DID work was running in circles around the bear.

After the first slash on the bear, he actually got scared of me and started running away. I chased him, but it was difficult because when you swing with the knife, John stops moving -- and the bear would frequently run out of range of my knife.

I ended up running up to it and then running into its side, like against a hind leg, and then swiping again. The bear would swipe at me but miss (since I was mostly behind it) and then continue running away.

I ended up chasing the bear over about half of Tall Trees before finally bringing it down. No guns, no tricks. Just me, the bear, and my knife.

Of course, after I knifed the bear to death about 4 other bears decided to rush me from the woods. That was when the shotgun came out :lol

Brandon F said:
Any tips for killing a bear with the knife? It's the challenge I am currently stuck on.

I did it (without weakening it with guns) by letting it charge me and rolling to dodge. Even if it hits you, you won't die (if it does use some medicine). Then run at it and start slashing. After a few hits it'll start running away from you so follow and finish it off. This will work as long as another bear doesn't show up (which often happens) in which case you're fucked.

edit: yeah, exactly how the post above describes

Sanic

Solo said:
You didn't miss much.

Yeah, it honestly felt a bit out of place to me.

Mexico is picking up somewhat, but i'm eager to move on. I was
just betrayed by the colonel/De Santa
. How many more missions do I have left in Mexico?

SamuraiX-

Brandon F said:
I think I discovered your issue!

Wow, how old are you again?

Pandoracell said:
Yeah, it honestly felt a bit out of place to me.

Mexico is picking up somewhat, but i'm eager to move on. I was
just betrayed by the colonel/De Santa
. How many more missions do I have left in Mexico?

Not that many. The rest of the game toward the end of Mexico and through the finale was absolutely spectacular for me, but that may have just been me. Enjoy! :D

Finished...

I won't lie, I
began to choke up when I was riding home to my family, and compass began playing. It was a full moon, animals and people were all around me. I truly felt apart of this world, and I was literally scared of the Marston family actually being dead. Also, I didn't want the game to end.

Free roam is meh

Sanic

SamuraiX- said:
Not that many. The rest of the game toward the end of Mexico and through the finale was absolutely spectacular for me, but that may have just been me. Enjoy! :D

Great, thanks!

The Bookerman said:
I think he looks a lot like Sam Elliott:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.y...golden_compass/sam_elliott/goldencompass2.jpg

Which in turn would make the ideal Ocelot.

Keith Carradine as Wild Bill Hickok, Deadwood.
33wbdph.jpg

I thought he had the same feel to him. Here's hoping for a prequel with him.

Stantron

Noisepurge said:
Here´s to hoping that the next Rockstar game has Alpha Protocol -level cutscene options :D
Agh, no thanks. All that does is dilute the character and charm of a story. Does not work well IMO.

ugh, end game has
horrible slow and tedious missions at the ranch :/

why is hearding the cows made so frustrating... they just keep shattering ALL the time. I wish they would atleast be on autopilot to the right direction :E

and the crow mission is impossible, ive shot like 200 crows and still i always fail protecting the corn :E where is the gatling gun when you really need it.

Noisepurge said:
ugh, end game has
horrible slow and tedious missions at the ranch :/

why is hearding the cows made so frustrating... they just keep shattering ALL the time. I wish they would atleast be on autopilot to the right direction :E

and the crow mission is impossible, ive shot like 200 crows and still i always fail protecting the corn :E where is the gatling gun when you really need it.

Cattle:
They do mostly autopilot to the right spot... you just need to ride slowly behind the group and then corral the strays in when they run off. It's actually incredibly easy.

As for the other part...
Crows is really easy once you know what to do. Just stand right outside your house and watch the opening to the silo. Do not bother shooting the birds flying overhead... ONLY shoot the birds that try to fly into the silo, which should be one or two at a time. Use your deadeye to take them out if you need to, then just sit there and wait for the next group. I failed it a few times by trying to kill all the birds too.

timetokill said:
As for the other part...
Crows is really easy once you know what to do. Just stand right outside your house and watch the opening to the silo. Do not bother shooting the birds flying overhead... ONLY shoot the birds that try to fly into the silo, which should be one or two at a time. Use your deadeye to take them out if you need to, then just sit there and wait for the next group. I failed it a few times by trying to kill all the birds too.

I cleared this one in under a minute by using dead eye+one of the guns with like 15 shots to a magazine. Dead-eye->target 10-15 birds at random->unleash hell->repeat. It was glorious and took less than a minute.

Hell, I just spent the last hour looking for the Black Horse and found it. Thought my trophy would light up but it didnt. Maybe I didnt get the black horse so I goto town to see if I can buy the deed and I can. I have all 3 deeds and no trophy.

Is anyone elses "Total time played" completely broken? Every now and then I check what it says, and in around 3 hours of playing the game it went up by 5 days.

Total time played 151:04:44
That's completely ridiculous. :lol
It was at 22 hours when I started the game up this morning.

Backfoggen said:
Is anyone elses "Total time played" completely broken? Every now and then I check what it says, and in around 3 hours of playing the game it went up by 5 days.

yeah, its broken

Game completed
82.3%

Total time played
8 days 22:17:10

I save a lot, and it mess's up the timer

still not done :)

NekoFever

Just finished. What a finale.

I also loved the 'I Know You' quest.
I had my suspicions that there was something odd about that guy - my first impression was a federal agent, which I think you're supposed to assume, but his tasks didn't fit with that idea - but the final meeting was amazing. I think the man's nature became pretty clear there, but there were so many allusions to different things that I already see people trying to deconstruct and explain.

TTG

UrbanRats said:
It's the major flaw, for me.
It's completely incoherent, if you play as an asshole.

When I first started, I thought I would replay it eventually as the "bad guy". But really, is there such a huge difference in the narrative/story missions? Obviously there are crimes to commit, but the bandana can take care of the hit to the honor system. You won't get shot at Thieve's Landing, but there are outfits that take care of that too. Only 2 missions come to mind really and they're both in Mexico.
Killing the Scarface wannabe instead of letting the rebels handle him and killing Escuela instead of handing him over to the Bureau

Klocker

Backfoggen said:

yea mine's hosed... also adds an hour for every death plus who knows what else

Top Bottom