• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Solo

69.6% done now, just working on the G and Mc missions in the final area. Im not done yet, but RIP Mass Effect. You've had the title for 2.5 years, but RDR is the new GOTG.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Irish said:
[

I really wanted the Savvy Merchant outfit to be included in the game. :(

ENDING spoilers:

It would have fit perfectly for Jack. Anyway, I really like the idea of Jack becoming a war hero.

merchant and hunter are being added later as free dlc this summer :D

UrbanRats

Talking about facial expressions, i love (major spoilers)
the subtle facial expressions that Abigail does in the cutscene where John read the telegram from Bonnie, at the end.
The acting is great.
Mission's name is: "Old friends, new problems"
Can't find that cutscene on youtube though.

Finally got to
West Elizabeth
, and man, the Act II ending missions were spectacular. Some of the most fun shootouts in a Rockstar game EVER. I still haven't even done anything in the North yet except for challenges, and Stranger tasks, but fighting off the insane number of Cougars while looking for the American Standardbred was keeping me busy for like an hour. This game is great.

RelentlessRolento said:
link?

glad if true since those are the two costumes I wanted :)

its true i dont have a link but read yesturday "somewhere" saying because of problems online etc with the game they're bringing out the costumes for free

Mr. Sam

"Help! Someone stole my horse!" - Chase horse, shoot thief, climb on horse, ride back, get off horse, got on own horse, ride off.

YOU FAILED TO RETURN THE HORSE TO ITS OWNER.

Um, no. I didn't.

Mr. Sam said:
"Help! Someone stole my horse!" - Chase horse, shoot thief, climb on horse, ride back, get off horse, got on own horse, ride off.

Um, no. I didn't.

Just lasso the horse and bring it back with you. I never bother getting off my horse for those events anymore.

UrbanRats

twisteddeeds said:
its true i dont have a link but read yesturday "somewhere" saying because of problems online etc with the game they're bringing out the costumes for free
Are they trying to seduce us? :lol

Mr. Sam said:

Um, no. I didn't.

I shoot anybody that asks me for help, so I never have this problem.

I figure I'm saving them from a future of hardship. I'm a saint, really.

Sanic

timetokill said:
I shoot anybody that asks me for help, so I never have this problem.

I figure I'm saving them from a future of hardship. I'm a saint, really.

:lol I do that to anybody I can't/fail to help.

Online, when it's the gun draw shootout showdown whatever they call it, how do I play? I lost because I hit the wrong button, what do I have to do?

jonnybryce said:
Online, when it's the gun draw shootout showdown whatever they call it, how do I play? I lost because I hit the wrong button, what do I have to do?

What, seriously? Just aim and shoot. Sometimes you live, sometimes you get shot.

elwes

Pandoracell said:
:lol I do that to anybody I can't/fail to help.

I always shoot women that are on the side of the road, asking for help.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I didn't know until fairly late in the game that some of the women asking for help on the side of the road weren't luring me into a four man ambush...

j-wood

I bought the map that is supposed to show all gang hideouts and everything in heinnigans steed. I open my satchel and used the map, and then got a popup saying I've discovered all areas.

But when I open my map, nothing new is on it. Only area names (like pikes basin). Is there something else special you have to do?

BruteUA

twisteddeeds said:

http://tinyurl.com/26un4e9

Once again, we thank everyone for their continued patience and understanding. As a token of our appreciation for your patience and in gratitude to all the Red Dead fans out there, we are also planning on releasing the Expert Hunter and Savvy Merchant outfits and related challenges later this summer for free. Please stay tuned for more details on that - as well as on the Outlaws to the End Co-Op Missions DLC Pack coming for free later this month.

j-wood said:
I bought the map that is supposed to show all gang hideouts and everything in heinnigans steed. I open my satchel and used the map, and then got a popup saying I've discovered all areas.

But when I open my map, nothing new is on it. Only area names (like pikes basin). Is there something else special you have to do?

Nope thats it, it just adds the names of the locations to your map.

Completed the game yesterday and can honestly say that bar some cataclysmic game coming out this is definetly GOTY.

Need 3 more trophies for the plat as well, 10 assists, 3 freeforall wins in a row and top level in multiplayer, im not in any rush tho, I want this game to go on forever! :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh, wow! the view from the top of the canyon on the way to Armadillo for the first time gave me the same "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" feeling from when I first played Kameo and then Gears of War (and to a lesser degree, Uncharted 2).

that's when I stopped playing my friend's copy and decided that I need to buy this. Well, I might end up buying Alan Wake, completing it and then swapping it for this with him, but yeah, there's a big ol' gorgeous world out there that I was not expecting.

DeadGzuz

Banned
It bugs me that John takes lame errand quest like all the other GTA games. This guy has important things to do, yet he will retrieve a horse for special Ed? I don't see how this game is not a re-skinned GTA4. While the story and setting is more interesting, just about everything else does not break the mold. I'm only about 7 hours in, I hope it starts wowing me soon.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Rez said:
oh, wow! the view from the top of the canyon on the way to Armadillo for the first time gave me the same "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" feeling from when I first played Kameo and then Gears of War (and to a lesser degree, Uncharted 2).

that's when I stopped playing my friend's copy and decided that I need to buy this. Well, I might end up buying Alan Wake, completing it and then swapping it for this with him, but yeah, there's a big ol' gorgeous world out there that I was not expecting.

In regards to atmosphere, I'd say this game has all other Rockstar products beat. There's nothing quite like riding across the great plains on grey day where omnious clouds seem to swallow the whole sky or seeing the sun set behind the red and dusty rocks of Mehico. It's "holy fucking shit" throughout the entire game in that sense, yeah.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
BruteUA said:

That's good. Deadly Assassin is made fairly moot by the Legend of the West doubling the Dead Eye anyway.

elwes said:
I always shoot women that are on the side of the road, asking for help.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I didn't know until fairly late in the game that some of the women asking for help on the side of the road weren't luring me into a four man ambush...

If the horses around her are perfectly fine, I always blast her in the head. I don't even kill the bandits anymore, just her.

DeadGzuz said:
It bugs me that John takes lame errand quest like all the other GTA games. This guy has important things to do, yet he will retrieve a horse for special Ed? I don't see how this game is not a re-skinned GTA4. While the story and setting is more interesting, just about everything else does not break the mold. I'm only about 7 hours in, I hope it starts wowing me soon.

RDR broke out of that crap in my eyes, I HATED that in GTA4. In here there's pretty much always a reason for him to do something, I'm not sure what you mean by the horse retrieval though. For Bonnie? On top of basically being tutorial missions, he is indebted to her for saving him.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Papercuts said:
RDR broke out of that crap in my eyes, I HATED that in GTA4. In here there's pretty much always a reason for him to do something, I'm not sure what you mean by the horse retrieval though. For Bonnie? On top of basically being tutorial missions, he is indebted to her for saving him.

No, some duffus asks for his love to be returned and it is a horse. I wanted to shoot him and the horse. I also got sent to tell a guy not to cheat on his wife, lol, that is worse than GTA4 where at least he got paid. It's stupid petty crap that does not fit with the story or John's character.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DeadGzuz said:
No, some duffus asks for his love to be returned and it is a horse. I wanted to shoot him and the horse. I also got sent to tell a guy not to cheat on his wife, lol, that is worse than GTA4 where at least he got paid. It's stupid petty crap that does not fit with the story or John's character.

Oh, those are just the side stranger missions. I thought some of them were funny on their own, but to each their own. Atleast you can completely ignore them if you want.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
DeadGzuz said:

Well then don't do the side missions. It's still a video game man, and side missions are there to add variety and give the player more stuff to do. Several of them wind up meshing with the story mode pretty good too.
I loved them but honestly not once did I ever feel that I was doing something out of character.

gobassgo

Banned
Host Samurai said:
Am I the only one that thinks Landon Ricketts looks just like Liquid Ocelot?

He does, but I'm almost positive its the same voice actor who did Colonel Campbell.
How weird is that?

DeadGzuz said:

In my opinion, all of the extraneous side missions ended poorly, and I always felt like they were a waste of my time when completed. There would be one or two which had me thinking "Well, maybe this one will end on a nice note, that would be a pleasant break from all the bleakness so far." But no, they were almost always twisted/creepy/perverted LCD stuff, which Rockstar has a history of confusing with mature storytelling. At a certain point you will guess how each of them will end, and there's one or two in particular that I guessed the ending to before I even started. The main storyline missions, while formulaic and cliche at times, are much better. Even the random ambient events were much better, to me.

Dead Man

Rez said:

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and do!

Sanic

Eel O'Brian said:
In my opinion, all of the extraneous side missions ended poorly, and I always felt like they were a waste of my time when completed. There would be one or two which had me thinking "Well, maybe this one will end on a nice note, that would be a pleasant break from all the bleakness so far." But no, they were almost always twisted/creepy/perverted LCD stuff, which Rockstar has a history of confusing with mature storytelling. At a certain point you will guess how each of them will end, and there's one or two in particular that I guessed the ending to before I even started. The main storyline missions, while formulaic and cliche at times, are much better. Even the random ambient events were much better, to me.

I tend to agree. Unlike you, I am enjoying these missions, if only because they are mostly a break from the main missions from a design point of view, but they are rather predictable and a depressing story != a mature story.

Subtlety is not something Rockstar does well.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pandoracell said:
I tend to agree. Unlike you, I am enjoying these missions, if only because they are mostly a break from the main missions from a design point of view, but they are rather predictable and a depressing story != a mature story.

Subtlety is not something Rockstar does well.
I'm having so much fun in the open world (havent even gotten into Mexico yet) that I'm really bummed when I have to do another story mission. "Ugh, guess I'll do one today..."

gobassgo said:
He does, but I'm almost positive its the same voice actor who did Colonel Campbell.
How weird is that?

lol I was thinking the same thing. the Colonel was even in LP2. He must be getting around a lot these days.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
gobassgo said:
How weird is that?
It's not him, Campbell is voiced by Paul Eiding and Ricketts is voiced by Ross Hagen.

Sanic

chubigans said:
I'm having so much fun in the open world (havent even gotten into Mexico yet) that I'm really bummed when I have to do another story mission. "Ugh, guess I'll do one today..."

:lol things will only go downhill for you in Mexico, where the missions and characters are a notch below those in the first part of the game. I'm actually planning on ignoring the freeroam aspects at the moment and taking some time to burn through the Mexico missions, just so I can get them over with and get out of there.

Mad Max

Pandoracell said:
:lol things will only go downhill for you in Mexico, where the missions and characters are a notch below those in the first part of the game. I'm actually planning on ignoring the freeroam aspects at the moment and taking some time to burn through the Mexico missions, just so I can get them over with and get out of there.

Mexico is way better than the first part dude.

Host Samurai said:
Am I the only one that thinks Landon Ricketts looks just like Liquid Ocelot?

I think he looks a lot like Sam Elliott:

goldencompass2.jpg

Which in turn would make the ideal Ocelot.

Pandoracell said:
I'm not a fan of anything down there. To each their own.

I like the setting and the atmosphere. I also didn't mind it the first few missions, but I thought it started to drag on a bit where I wanted to get the section over with. One too many missions seemed to be clumped in here where I thought they could of distributed it a bit more evenly in New Austin and Blackwater.

It seemed like I was only in the first part for like an hour or two, then Mexico for an eternity. Still a minor quip for a fantastic game.

timkunedo

imo mexico is better. Ricketts is by far the most interesting character i've met in the game. and yes....I thought of Sam Elliott instantly as well.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I just got this game yesterday, and I'm enjoying so far. How's the online though? I hopped on real quick and was a bit lost. I'm gonna complete the game first then try out the online.

bunbun777

I logged into MP today, dropped me right outside of Escalera in public free roam. It was about noon, and I could hear gun shots coming from the town. An armadillo scurried across the road, I called my horse and a crow swooped over my head and made some impressive noise. I look on the map and there is only one other player, the one shooting over in Escalera. I pull out the sniper to catch a peek but it's mostly just dust in the wind and horses running about, their owners lying on the ground. So I sauntered over to the other player, we both looked at each other and he came over to my horse. I reared back, shot some wolves that jumped out at us, and then we proceeded to shoot up the town together. Did not join a posse, did not shoot each other. After a few shootouts with the law we split in two different directions.

This was just the first 10 minutes.

Top Bottom