• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Gonna post this again for the new page as I REALLY need some help!!!

Basically somehow all of my RDR data corrupted (360 version). I REALLY don't understand how as I'm always very careful when it comes to turning off my 360 (had a couple of bad experiences with data loss with my old PS2), but I guess that doesn't really matter now. What DOES matter is that I was a good bit into the Blackwater section of the game, and am now REALLLLLLLY pissed off that I can't finish it. What I'm asking is that if anyone has a save file (for the 360 version) anywhere near that stage in the game (even afterwards is fine, I can just use the mission replay to catch up) could they please, PLEASE send it to me by PM. I was having such a good time with this game, but I simply don't have the time to replay it right now and I need to finish it off. I have the data transfer cable and all the things necessary to transfer it to my console. Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer any help!

ZealousD said:
Game should have ended after you killed Dutch. The rest of the gang is gone, you go back to your family, and it even had a nice touch of an ending song when you make the ride back. But no. First thing the game does is pad out the end of the game by making you do a bunch of monotonous ranching missions. I guess the game was trying to get you emotionally connected to the ranch and Marston's family before eventually killing him, but I just found it boring. And then of course, the Army comes back to kill Marston. There's no reason given for why they decide to let Marston work on his ranch for a couple weeks before killing him, they just do. It's just Rockstar deciding that the Army is heartless just for the sake of them being heartless.

Okay, so maybe they're trying to come out with some sort of message. You shouldn't go into a life of crime because you can never leave it, it always stays with you and will catch up with you. But then the problem arises with Jack's epilogue. If the message is that criminal behavior will inevitably catch up to you, then why does Jack enter into that life? Jack puts himself into the cycle that John told him not to. WHAT THE FUCK kind of message is being spread here? I don't even know! Unless you hated the fact that Marston was trying to escape his life of crime, than there's absolutely nothing positive that comes out of these whole series of events. John dies. Abigail dies. Jack becomes part of the criminal cycle.

Look, it's not that I can't take any sort of unconventional ending. Hell, I thought Ubisoft did a great job with the PoP 2008 ending. But there's just nothing in that ending that is satisfactory to me. It's fucked up and makes no sense.
Well, they give a reason. In fact, they say it explicitly.

Dutch says that Marsten can kill him, but eventually they are going to need a new enemy, and then they will come after Marsten. Ross used Marsten's gun to shoot Dutch so he could build a case that Marsten is still running around and murdering people.

Dead Man

Enemy Of Fate said:

Basically somehow all of my RDR data corrupted (360 version). I REALLY don't understand how as I'm always very careful when it comes to turning off my 360 (had a couple of bad experiences with data loss with my old PS2), but I guess that doesn't really matter now. What DOES matter is that I was a good bit into the Blackwater section of the game, and am now REALLLLLLLY pissed off that I can't finish it. What I'm asking is that if anyone has a save file (for the 360 version) anywhere near that stage in the game (even afterwards is fine, I can just use the mission replay to catch up) could they please, PLEASE send it to me by PM. I was having such a good time with this game, but I simply don't have the time to replay it right now and I need to finish it off. I have the data transfer cable and all the things necessary to transfer it to my console. Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer any help!
That sucks. PS3 here, but I hope you get what you need. I can say that a replay is not wasted effort though. If you can find the time, it is still worthwhile.

ram

finished the game or at least the story and i have to say, the last part is the best. it makes up for the boring story and faceless characters all the time.

i looked up red dead revolver, if there is a connection. but only abigail is there. why did red become john marsten? and whats up with the old gang, i honestly didnt have a clou, why
dutch
should make up a great character and enemy. the whole chasing is boring and the story also misses great cutscenes.

in the end, its gta in the wild west and thats a little bit underwhelming.

Roll credits.

Awesome game :D Might actually finish up all loose ends and stranger missions etc. for trophies. Never done that before in an open world game...

Solo

77.6% done now, and Ive just finally gotten to the Marston missions. I think Im finally closing in on finishing the game off. Another day or two and I'll be finito!

kaizoku said:
Again, the manual mentions free roman hunting ranges where posses's defend against wave after wave of animals and get XP afterwards - has this been removed?? I haven't seen any.

Yeah not seen these either, im assuming they will be added at a later date :(

NekoFever

On the 'I Know You' guy,
I think it's very clearly God. He has to be some kind of metaphysical being rather than, say, John's conscience personified because he knows things that John doesn't, and I think it's alluded to when he explicitly says that he "had a son" when John mentions his.

Either way, I love the allusions there. Like when he calls the place of John's burial "a nice spot", and people are saying how John fires three bullets at him and the fourth jams, representing Uncle, himself, Abigail, and then Jack surviving. I hope no one at Rockstar ever explains it fully because it's such a beautiful little story.

Also, on finishing up side quests and such after the end credits,
does anyone know how much dialogue they recorded for Jack? It seems like he must have his own for all of them, and they have to get around all the references to John's exploits that most NPCs make - I did The Prohibitionist as Jack and the guy credits him with something that John did, which makes sense given that he has the same name as his father, to which he's all modest and says that it wasn't him. Impressive if they did that for all of them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Enemy Of Fate said:
PLEASE send it to me by PM. I was having such a good time with this game, but I simply don't have the time to replay it right now and I need to finish it off. I have the data transfer cable and all the things necessary to transfer it to my console. Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer any help!

I'm around that part (like 4 missions into Blackwater) and playing on the 360, but I have no idea how to send someone a save. If someone could inform me on how to do it and if I have the proper materials, I will do it.

taoofjord

The last third/fourth of the game was just pure brilliance. AND it makes me feel better about the rest of the game's story.

Here's my breakdown:

The first two acts of the game were sometimes great storywise but often-time felt like missed opportunities. Characters jump in and out of the story with little rhyme or reason, and they're quite underdeveloped and have little drama to their "arcs". That really disappointed me. Then, hunting down your gang members (even dutch) was a bit underwhelming and lacked any feeling of importance. Only Dutch had any substantial development time (and close up shots on his face) but even then you didn't see or hear from him all that much. Anyway, here's what I think:

A lot of this makes sense once you get your ranch and family back.

1) Mexico - John is very much a clint eastwood-esque character in how he deals with the mexican rebellion. He's willing to help someone out in need but for the most part he's there to get his job done. He doesn't much care about the rebellion, though, and never digs his heels into it (just like the man with no name).

2) The characters you meet that drop in and out of the story are made to do so, in my mind, for three reasons.

A - The whole game has a very "well, this is life" tone to it. So the characters don't really have that much importance in the game. Actually, every character in the game seems to serve Marston's development more than their own.

B- In traditional western fashion, the cowboy will come into people's lives and then leave suddenly once his job with them is done.

C - The importance of the characters, and even their life and death, don't matter all that much to John Marston. Sure, he's moral, but they don't dwell on their deaths because he's a ex-outlaw who is used to people dying -- their underwhelming death's underscore how little it effects him. Also, the lack of emotion and focus on the characters also contrasts greatly to how emotional, slow-paced, and character development focused the game gets once you get your family back. Which makes complete sense to me and makes the final act of the game THAT much more powerful.

3) The last act at the ranch is by far my favorite part of the game story-wise. I absolutely adored the slower pace and the fact that the missions don't HAVE to turn into a shootout every single time. This is ABSOLUTELY something I want other main character missions in Rockstar games following in the future. Sometimes, I'd like it if you just went to a mission and it was only a cutscene. The story can sometimes become too contrived when there is ALWAYS a large shootout.

Anyway, I loved the slow, deliberate pace. It was a very ballsy move and really only something that could have been done in a video game, or at very least, done best in this medium.

4) All this said, I still feel like there were some big missteps. I'd have DEFINITELY liked to see one final cutscene with Bonnie where you check in on her. And I'd have also liked to see a simple goodbye cutscene with Marshall Johnson. It was so weird playing the game, after reading up on it and thinking Marhsall Johnson and Bonnie were major characters only to have them just randomly disappear and never hear from one of them again.

Which leads me to say that it was wonderful seeing Bonnie again at the end of the game as it really made her "arc" feel more complete. Same goes with Dickens, I liked that little touch. A shame about the Marshall though.

All in all, Rockstar clearly did a lot of this intentionally and, for a game, it was ballsy and original -- and very, very respectful of the western genre. The last part really made the rest of the game feel more complete.

What I'd like to see in a patch or dlc update is:
- My main complaint with the game: The AI doesn't try to flank you well enough. They tend to just stick to cover and the game turns to a shooting range standoff... making a lot of the action based missions underwhelming. Have dogs in the game more often, make the AI more aggressive, and have them utilize fire bottles more often to flush you out.
- One more cutscene of bonnie after you save her from being hanged
- DLC Episodes, like there were in GTAIV that use much of the same world and also add more to it (open up the west portion of the map?) And in the episode, make the game more story-centric, and the missions more varied (don't always turn everything into a shoot out).
- Add animation and to the character falling from a height, making them fall to a crouched position and roll - similar to GTAIV.
- Add animation to a horse landing after jumping from a small hill
- Don't make a new horse come to you when you whistle if your horse just died, instead, spawn a wild horse nearby or a stage coach that stops to ask if you need help (that will give you a ride for some money to the nearest village).
- Shorten the Dead Eye gauge (You have way too much of it)
- And for the hell of it: in the DLC I want a priest and a saloon owner character. I can't help it, I love Deadwood.

Snuggler said:
I'm around that part (like 4 missions into Blackwater) and playing on the 360, but I have no idea how to send someone a save. If someone could inform me on how to do it and if I have the proper materials, I will do it.
Yeah I don't understand how this could be done either.

Wiggum2007

Endgame spoilers,
Regarding Bonnie, I'm fairly certain while I was walking around as Jack earlier, I heard a couple farmhands say something about Bonnie having finally found a husband.
Thought it was a neat little tidbit.

Moobabe

taoofjord said:
The last third/fourth of the game was just pure brilliance. It made the rest of the story make more sense.

Here's my breakdown:
3) The last act at the ranch is by far my favorite part of the game story-wise. I absolutely adored the slower pace and the fact that the missions don't HAVE to turn into a shootout every single time. This is ABSOLUTELY something I want other main character missions in Rockstar games following in the future. Sometimes, I'd like it if you just went to a mission and it was only a cutscene. The story can sometimes become too contrived when there is ALWAYS a large shootout.

Anyway, I loved the slow, deliberate pace. It was a very ballsy move and really only something that could have been done in a video game, or at very least, done best in this medium.

I'm not sure what I thought of the final act - I thought it was slow for the sake of being slow. John's interaction with his family was ok, though his interaction with Uncle just made me dislike him. I appreciate the tone they were trying to set up - and there was definitely a sense of foreboding with John repeatedly saying "I'm not going anywhere" or "Things will be ok" - but I think it could have been handled better.

That said the end itself was very well done and it employed a very intelligent way of letting you continue the story. I wish the tone of the 3rd act was extended to the rest of the game though - I was expecting a story about how the west was disappearing and though it's alluded to it's far too infrequent for my liking. Only in Blackwater when you see automobiles and begin discussions about genetics did I feel that Marston was out of place in that world - though the missions still revolved around you killing people like it had done all game.

Overall though the game is pretty excellent - some of the characters I didn't feel were well enough explored, as you have already suggested, nor did I feel that some of the character arcs were complete by the end either though I'm sure that's something that could be remedied in DLC.

Imagine playing as Seth before/during he goes mad.... One can only dream.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CitizenCope said:
Yeah I don't understand how this could be done either.

I googled it and it looks like you can upload them online or something but that kind of stuff is far outside my area of technical expertise. Can 360 saves even be copied to a USB stick or is that only (some) PS3 games?

Snuggler said:
I googled it and it looks like you can upload them online or something but that kind of stuff is far outside my area of technical expertise. Can 360 saves even be copied to a USB stick or is that only (some) PS3 games?
Well you used to have to use a 360 harddrive transfer cable to transfer the save, but I think now you can just copy the save to a USB stick (the new firmware update for the 360 allows you to do it) and then you could just upload those files and I could put them on my harddrive and use my transfer program to put them on my harddrive...

...now I know that sounds really complicated, but basically I think if you just copy the save to a USB stick, then copy and paste the files from the USB stick to the computer and then upload them, I'll probably be able to put them on my harddrive....probably. If anyone is willing to do that that'd be fantastic! I would love to play through RDR again, but I just don't have the time at the minute unfortunately...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off, but I'll give it a try after I get out of work (4pm-ish EST).
Would I need to upload it to some website where you can upload from your PC?

chogidogs

i didn't know you could actually give people a ride in this game. all of the people i encountered that have asked for a ride have tried stealing my horse so i was pleasantly surprised to see that was actually a thing.

chogidogs said:
i didn't know you could actually give people a ride in this game. all of the people i encountered that have asked for a ride have tried stealing my horse so i was pleasantly surprised to see that was actually a thing.

I had this one time where some guy cried for help, I stop near him, he pulls me off my horse and laughs "Haha, works everytime!". I shot him off my horse. <3

Hixx

chogidogs said:

Yeah I must have killed about half a dozen innocent people due to this before I realized some actually do want a lift :lol

chogidogs said:

A mexican girl in the desert asked me for a ride, I stop near her and she stole my horse... I grabed my carcano rifle and made her brain pour out of her head.

Later, back in civilized land, aka america, a young demoiselle asked me for a ride, because her old kart was broken (and I could see the crashed kart) so I pick her up on my horse and she was ridind the horse with the dress, with the two legs on the same side, just as a real lady would ride any horse. On our way to Armadillo, we got attacked several times but I defended the girl against hordes of bandits. Once safe, she huged me.

Damn, american girls sure know how to get something out of men in this game :lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
WTF, I went to thieves den and random people were shooting at me, people were screaming and running around. I finally shoot back and some gave me -50 honor. Why are these idiots firing at me?

The main story gets a little disjointed.
I saved Bonnie, yet never saw her again, no mission to visit her? I also had the one grave digger guy talk to me about getting ammo, yet I had done that mission already.
. Some weird stuff, I'm now in mexico which is a good change of scenery.

DeadGzuz

Banned
UnluckyKate said:
A mexican girl in the desert asked me for a ride, I stop near her and she stole my horse... I grabed my carcano rifle and made her brain pour out of her head.

Later, back in civilized land, aka america, ...

Damn, american girls sure know how to get something out of men in this game :lol

thatsracistgm751224856460.gif

DeadGzuz said:
WTF, I went to thieves den and random people were shooting at me, people were screaming and running around. I finally shoot back and some gave me -50 honor. Why are these idiots firing at me?

Its because your a good guy and well thieves landing is full of bad guys.

If you wear a bandana that is available from the clothing store in thieves landing they will normally ignore unless you try and help people there.

DeadGzuz said:

That was an intended pun.

Read:
Mexican girl wanted to go somewhere: she tried to stole my horse and she dies.
American girl wanted to go somewhere: she asked gently and I ride her there safely.

Brutality did not win this time. Civilized maneer did :lol

Solo

90.6% now. Only mission I have left is the last mission, so Im gonna do a few other things before I hit that.

- I can't find a skunk to save my life (the foxes and raccoons were all over the place) - any tips for location/time of day?
- I can't beat Five Finger Fillet at Torque-whatever (the one needed for one of the outfits). Driving me insane
- Ive completed 15 stranger missions.... I KNOW there are more, but I have the entire map open and no "?" are on it. Any ideas why?

BeeDog

Solo said:
90.6% now. Only mission I have left is the last mission, so Im gonna do a few other things before I hit that.

- I can't find a skunk to save my life (the foxes and raccoons were all over the place) - any tips for location/time of day?
- I can't beat Five Finger Fillet at Torque-whatever (the one needed for one of the outfits). Driving me insane
- Ive completed 15 stranger missions.... I KNOW there are more, but I have the entire map open and no "?" are on it. Any ideas why?

Check the horse area in Mexico (well, the place with horses on the map, Diez Coronas or something) during the night. It was full of skunks when I hunted them.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Solo said:

For Five Finger Fillet you can push the two other players off the cliff before you start the game, that way you only have to beat one player. Worked a treat for me yesterday.

Darkman M

Solo said:

1. Rio Bravo is a good place to find skunks.

2. What i did was learn the pattern then write it down on paper, don't look at the screen it fucks you up.

3. Keep playing through the game there maybe surprises.

Jedeye Sniv said:
For Five Finger Fillet you can push the two other players off the cliff before you start the game, that way you only have to beat one player. Worked a treat for me yesterday.

Or that for five finger never tried it wish i would have. :lol

Solo said:

One can spawn behind the carriage in Armadillo at night. You either get a skunk or a raccoon.

edit: I don't think the "?" appear unless you're close to the stranger.

Dead Man

Solo said:

FFF is a bitch. I found it easiest just to run at the 2 guys waiting in line, then you only have to beat 1 guy at the final pattern, which for me was much easier than the second pattern. Don't look at the screen, just focus on the buttons, and being smooth, you don't have to match the timing on the screen.

Skunks are mainly nocturnal for me, and as soon as you get them, they will be everywhere! Around Chuparosa, MacFarlanes Ranch, and Beechers Hope they seem to be most common for me.

I had to use the wiki for a couple stranger missions, and one might not be available yet, depending on how close to the end you are.

Hope that helps. I'm closing in on 100%. Just 1 outfit, and some bounties to go! Not going to bother with the online trophies though, I don't really care about trophies, and hate online ones! :lol

Edit: Beaten! :lol

Solo

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Jedeye Sniv said:

I cant even beat the first guy :lol Its the only minigame I cant seem to do. Poker? No sweat. Blackjack? A joke. Liar's Dice? Easy to win. Button-mashing arm wrestling? No problem. Horseshoes? Piece of cake.

But FFF? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :lol

Aesius

Solo said:
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I cant even beat the first guy :lol Its the only minigame I cant seem to do. Poker? No sweat. Blackjack? A joke. Liar's Dice? Easy to win. Button-mashing arm wrestling? No problem. Horseshoes? Piece of cake.

But FFF? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :lol

Just memorize the pattern. You don't even have to look at the screen.

* Pattern 1: A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A (repeats)
* Pattern 2: A, B, A, B, A, B, A, B, A, B (repeats)
* Pattern 3: A, B, A, Y, A, B, A, Y, A, B (repeats from beginning)
* Pattern 4: A, B, A, Y, A, X, A, B, A, Y (repeats from beginning)

Solo

Aesius said:
Just memorize the pattern. You don't even have to look at the screen.

* Pattern 1: A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A (repeats)
* Pattern 2: A, B, A, B, A, B, A, B, A, B (repeats)
* Pattern 3: A, B, A, Y, A, B, A, Y, A, B (repeats from beginning)
* Pattern 4: A, B, A, Y, A, X, A, B, A, Y (repeats from beginning)

Thanks man, I will try this.

Snuggler said:
I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off, but I'll give it a try after I get out of work (4pm-ish EST).
Would I need to upload it to some website where you can upload from your PC?
That'd be fantastic thanks! I'm not sure, it depends on how big the file is. I'll send you my email address in a PM, and if its too big to add as an attachment rapidshare.com or hotfile.com are pretty good for uploading.Thanks again!

Aurora

Five Finger Fillet is insanely easy; I beat everyone on my first try. I really don't understand how anyone could be stuck on it...

YagizY

I found the easiest way to do five finger fillet is this:

Find the patterns on the Red Dead wiki. Paste them into a word document. Don't look at your TV screen, look at your computer screen and follow the sequence.

SamuraiX-

Solo said:

There is one you will discover for yourself for sure in due time... However, in regards to one you may have missed, because it's fairly well hidden, I thought. Search
Sidewinder Gulch
if you haven't already.

Also, a few other possible areas you might want to scope out to look for missions you may have missed...
-
Casa Madrugada
-
El Matadero
-
Rathskeller Fork

Didn't want to spoil any of the missions, so I'm just giving you the possible areas you might not have visited so often. Good luck! :D

Dead Man

Aurora said:
Five Finger Fillet is insanely easy; I beat everyone on my first try. I really don't understand how anyone could be stuck on it...
Considering how many people have had trouble with it, myself included, I would say you are the exception, rather than the rule.

UnluckyKate said:
That was an intended pun.

Read:
Mexican girl wanted to go somewhere: she tried to stole my horse and she dies.
American girl wanted to go somewhere: she asked gently and I ride her there safely.

Brutality did not win this time. Civilized maneer did :lol

The only girl i meet who need a ride for real was mexican. In the first area i shoot a dozen and dozen of women who try to steal my horse.

Maybe my copy is much more latino friendly. :)

Dead Man said:
Considering how many people have had trouble with it, myself included, I would say you are the exception, rather than the rule.

As said before, the whole trick of it is to just write the sequences on a piece of paper and look at the controller while doing it, ignore the tv totally.

Helmholtz

So what kind of aim assist do you guys use?
I've been using normal and I'm finding it too easy, as it just snaps to a target when you press left trigger. When I use Expert, I find the gun turns too slow when zoomed in, even on the highest sensitivity.
I'm on 360 btw

Helmholtz said:
So what kind of aim assist do you guys use?
I've been using normal and I'm finding it too easy, as it just snaps to a target when you press left trigger. When I use Expert, I find the gun turns too slow when zoomed in, even on the highest sensitivity.
I'm on 360 btw

Go with expert, game was just so much better when I made the switch, its just way too easy on normal, it horrific.

Enemy Of Fate said:

I don't think that's possible. I hear that game saves are locked to the profile that first created that game save data. What I do know for sure however is that even if you could access another's save data, the achievements would not unlock for any new progression; those are definitely linked to the profile that created the save data in the first place. This is so the Achievement system is not undermined like the game save sharing business with the PS3. I remember doing that to unlock some Trophies :lol

I can understand you being annoyed but trust me, the game in itself is the experience more so than the story. Start again? I plan to when I finish

Top Bottom