• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Sanic

Klocker said:
yea mine's hosed... also adds an hour for every death plus who knows what else

Is this happening consistenly for everyone? My time appears to be normal, or at the very least it can't be that far off. (only ~12 hrs)

Aesius

itsinmyveins said:
Yeah, but he's not the voice actor nor does he sound very much like John Marston at all, imho.

Marston sounds like Bill Paxton to me. So much so that I actually looked it up on imdb to confirm/deny if it was him.

xMk2x

Banned
I haven't read this thread but does anyone else have an issue with the Xbox 360 version where turning overscan off on your television causes red/green/white/similar coloured artifacts around the borders? It seems to only occur during the night cycle (or, at least, is only noticeable then). It's really annoying and forces me to turn overscan back on. :(

My TV is a Panasonic TH-P50G10A running in game mode if it makes any difference.

rc213

foomfoom415 said:
To know which horse is a better horse look at the number of stars on the deed in the general store. Or consult this list http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Horses#Breeds

Basically you want one of the top 3 horses. You can make a horse "yours" by lassoing it, breaking it, and hitching it to a post somewhere, but if it dies, it's gone. You can "own" it by purchasing a deed for it. Then even if it dies you can use your deed and the same breed of horse will come when you whistle.

To purchase a deed for one of the top 3 horses you need to have found them and broken them in the wild. Until then the deeds will be unavailable. You break the Kentucky Saddler during one of the early Bonnie missions. It's the 2nd fastest horse in the game and my favorite horse. The other two are found in Mexico and West Elizabeth.
Thanks for the answer.

evil ways

KoruptData said:
Hell, I just spent the last hour looking for the Black Horse and found it. Thought my trophy would light up but it didnt. Maybe I didnt get the black horse so I goto town to see if I can buy the deed and I can. I have all 3 deeds and no trophy.
Trophies are glitchy. Took me 3 times winning a $2,000 dollar hand in poker to finally get the trophy to register.

Sew

itsinmyveins said:
Yeah, but he's not the voice actor nor does he sound very much like John Marston at all, imho.
Different voice, but I hear him in there. It's something to do with the dry, jock delivery. I can see Puddy's "yeah that's right" face whenever Marston speaks.

Suppose this is as good a place as any to ask, really hope someone here can help me with my problem. Basically somehow all of my RDR data corrupted (360 version). I REALLY don't understand how as I'm always very careful when it comes to turning off my 360 (had a couple of bad experiences with data loss with my old PS2), but I guess that doesn't really matter now. What DOES matter is that I was a good bit into the Blackwater section of the game, and am now REALLLLLLLY pissed off that I can't finish it. What I'm asking is that if anyone has a save file anywhere near that stage in the game (even afterwards is fine, I can just use the mission replay to catch up) could they please, PLEASE send it to me by PM. I was having such a good time with this game, but I simply don't have the time to replay it right now and I need to finish it off. Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer any help!

Sew said:
Different voice, but I hear him in there. It's something to do with the dry, jock delivery. I can see Puddy's "yeah that's right" face whenever Marston speaks.

Son of a bitch I'll never be able to forget that now. :lol

Anyone get random freezing problems in this game?(PS3) I've had the game freeze on my two times during checkpoints and one time during an up close kill animation.

Yopis

Pop On Arrival said:
Anyone get random freezing problems in this game?(PS3) I've had the game freeze on my two times during checkpoints and one time during an up close kill animation.

I got a couple of lockups on XBOX the game was in an endless loop on loading forever.

Aspiring

Yopis said:
I got a couple of lockups on XBOX the game was in an endless loop on loading forever.

This happened to me once. Also in one mission
where you have to drive the wagon with tnt into the building
, it locked up as well, although strangly there was still sound.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Brandon F said:
Any tips for killing a bear with the knife? It's the challenge I am currently stuck on.

What I did:
1. Using the same pistol at all times, I first figured out how many shots it took to kill the bear by hitting it's feet.
2. Found another bear, shot 1 times fewer than what I discovered.
3. Ran around the bear in circles until I had enough time to stun it with a lasso.
4. Quickly swapped with knife, slashed 1-2 times.
5. Repeated 3-4, bear died.

Of course, I spent about 25 minutes dieing and hunting down new bears to reattempt until I decided on that strategy.

If the bear tackles you in front, you'll probably die because it will hit you a second time just before you can use medicine.

Banned
I can not find the last player house. I have found the following.

MacFarlanes
Armadillo
Thieves Landing
Rathskeller Fort
Irish's Shack
Escalera
Chuparosa
Casa Madrugada
El Matadero
Blackwater
Manzanita Post
Beechers Hope

What am I missing?

SamuraiX-

Karma said:

MacFarlanes
Armadillo
Thieves Landing
Rathskeller Fort
Irish's Shack
Escalera
Chuparosa
Casa Madrugada
El Matadero
Blackwater
Manzanita Post
Beechers Hope

What am I missing?

Jack's Bed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I had one infinite load earlier, but I kinda forced it. I got into a stagecoach, aimed and shot at someone and skipped to destination as the driver dove off. :lol

Also, is each bounty worth .1%? I'm at 99.3% and IIRC it's 8, 8, 4 and I have 8, 2, 3. Just trying to make sure I'm not missing something.

Karma said:

MacFarlanes
Armadillo
Thieves Landing
Rathskeller Fort
Irish's Shack
Escalera
Chuparosa
Casa Madrugada
El Matadero
Blackwater
Manzanita Post
Beechers Hope

What am I missing?

Plainview.

Klocker

Pandoracell said:
Is this happening consistenly for everyone? My time appears to be normal, or at the very least it can't be that far off. (only ~12 hrs)

no my step-sons copy is fine (different xbox)

SamuraiX-

leng jai said:
So who wants to teach me how to play Liar's Dice?

It seems complicated at first, but it's not all that bad. I'll give it a shot.

So everyone starts off with 5 dice. You put 'em in the can, shake it, and slam it down on the table. Either your or someone else at the table starts things off by making a bet. At this point, you can look at what dice you have. The bets that your competitors make are based on their estimation of how many of a particular side of the dice are on the table. It's really hard at the beginning because everyone has 5 dice, but as people start losing dice, you'll notice that the advantage goes to the person who has more than anyone else toward the end.

Now, when the betting turn comes to you, you'll need to make a bet of how many of a certain side of the dice that you believe are on the table. Your bet needs to be at least 1 dice higher than the previous better. Basically, it's all about playing the odds. If you see that someone bets that there are 5 three-sided dice on the table, and when you look at your dice you see that you don't have a single three-sided dice, then the best possible move would probably be to call a bluff. And always try to call a bet for whichever dice you have more of. If you don't have at least two or more of any kind of dice, then just bid a higher number of whatever dice the NPC had previously bidded on.

Also, the NPCs aren't that smart so they'll always bid what dice they have more of. They're not smart enough to bluff if they know they only have 1 one-sided dice and 3 four-sided dice.

Papercuts

SamuraiX- said:

So everyone starts off with 5 dice. You put 'em in the can, shake it, and slam it down on the table. Either your or someone else at the table starts things off by making a bet. At this point, you can look at what dice you have. The bets that your competitors make are based on their estimation of how many of a particular side of the dice are on the table. It's really hard at the beginning because everyone has 5 dice, but as people start losing dice, you'll notice that the advantage goes to the person who has more than anyone else toward the end.

Now, when the betting turn comes to you, you'll need to make a bet of how many of a certain side of the dice that you believe are on the table. Your bet needs to be at least 1 dice higher than the previous better. Basically, it's all about playing the odds. If you see that someone bets that there are 5 three-sided dice on the table, and when you look at your dice you see that you don't have a single three-sided dice, then the best possible move would probably be to call a bluff. And always try to call a bet for whichever dice you have more of. If you don't have at least two or more of any kind of dice, then just bid a higher number of whatever dice the NPC had previously bidded on.

Also, the NPCs aren't that smart, so they'll always bid what dice they'll have more of. They're not smart enough to bluff if they know they only have 1 one-sided dice and 3-four sided dice.

Also: The AI never seems to call a bid spot on, so that means playing it safe can be a good move. If you call a bid spot on(pretty hard but feels awesome), everyone else loses a die.

leng jai

SamuraiX- said:

Also, the NPCs aren't that smart so they'll always bid what dice they have more of. They're not smart enough to bluff if they know they only have 1 one-sided dice and 3 four-sided dice.

Much appreciated man. I didn't try playing at all until one stranger mission asked me to. Lost 200 coin and shot up the whole table :/

Just beat it. Goddam. But it fit perfectly with the fact its a western. I actually kind of enjoyed it more than ME2's ending because
It was way more fucking realistic. Of course they were never going to let him live. Getting to play as his son was a really nice touch. Now to complete the game 100%

Just hit lvl50 in Multiplayer. I LOVE my Bonzo mount ! :lol I'm not trying to get the Super Bull or the Zebra Donkey because that shit takes too much time. The only MP trophy I need right now is the Posse Up one. Don't know when most Gaffers are on but what the hell, I still have to get 100% in singleplayer.

I love this game. My favourite moment: winning against 3 opponents in Liar's Dice without losing a die. Epic defined.

Wiggum2007

The_Inquisitor said:
Just beat it. Goddam. But it fit perfectly with the fact its a western. I actually kind of enjoyed it more than ME2's ending because
It was way more fucking realistic. Of course they were never going to let him live. Getting to play as his son was a really nice touch. Now to complete the game 100%

Yeah absolutely loved it. Plus the way the
I Know You stranger quest tied in to the end was pretty crazy. And just to make sure, have you seen the credits roll? Game's not over until then.

Wiggum2007 said:
I Know You stranger quest tied in to the end was pretty crazy. And just to make sure, have you seen the credits roll? Game's not over until then.

Wait what? I haven't seen any credits....

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
JustHadToJoin said:
come on now, you gotta tell us why you think so

Game should have ended after you killed Dutch. The rest of the gang is gone, you go back to your family, and it even had a nice touch of an ending song when you make the ride back. But no. First thing the game does is pad out the end of the game by making you do a bunch of monotonous ranching missions. I guess the game was trying to get you emotionally connected to the ranch and Marston's family before eventually killing him, but I just found it boring. And then of course, the Army comes back to kill Marston. There's no reason given for why they decide to let Marston work on his ranch for a couple weeks before killing him, they just do. It's just Rockstar deciding that the Army is heartless just for the sake of them being heartless.

Okay, so maybe they're trying to come out with some sort of message. You shouldn't go into a life of crime because you can never leave it, it always stays with you and will catch up with you. But then the problem arises with Jack's epilogue. If the message is that criminal behavior will inevitably catch up to you, then why does Jack enter into that life? Jack puts himself into the cycle that John told him not to. WHAT THE FUCK kind of message is being spread here? I don't even know! Unless you hated the fact that Marston was trying to escape his life of crime, than there's absolutely nothing positive that comes out of these whole series of events. John dies. Abigail dies. Jack becomes part of the criminal cycle.

Look, it's not that I can't take any sort of unconventional ending. Hell, I thought Ubisoft did a great job with the PoP 2008 ending. But there's just nothing in that ending that is satisfactory to me. It's fucked up and makes no sense.

fisheyes

So I've been playing this game and really quite digging it, but there seems to be some niggling issues with horse and the like - I had that first stallion I got from Bonnie when horse rangling, and was trying my hardest to keep it (resetting if i accidentally killed it, whatever), then I reached a point after playing for ages where I walked up on my horse to a checkpoint for my mission, it triggered a cutscene without the horse, and the damn thing has just disappeared. I had a horse on a nearby hitch, but it wasn't that one. It sucks.

Also, on a related topic, how do you do that thing where you get your horse to come to you (horse whistle?)? Was it an item? A button? The game showed me how to do it and I've forgotten.

fisheyes said:
So I've been playing this game and really quite digging it, but there seems to be some niggling issues with horse and the like - I had that first stallion I got from Bonnie when horse rangling, and was trying my hardest to keep it (resetting if i accidentally killed it, whatever), then I reached a point after playing for ages where I walked up on my horse to a checkpoint for my mission, it triggered a cutscene without the horse, and the damn thing has just disappeared. I had a horse on a nearby hitch, but it wasn't that one. It sucks.

Also, on a related topic, how do you do that thing where you get your horse to come to you (horse whistle?)? Was it an item? A button? The game showed me how to do it and I've forgotten.

Up on the d-pad to whistle for the horse. The fact that you didn't know that leads me to believe that YOU hitched a new horse instead of just calling the Kentucky back. Sorry.

fisheyes

Net_Wrecker said:
Up on the d-pad to whistle for the horse. The fact that you didn't know that leads me to believe that YOU hitched a new horse instead of just calling the Kentucky back. Sorry.

I didn't have a chance to hitch that horse at all though - I rode through the checkpoint thingo, which started the cutscene, and when I came out of the cutscene the horse was long gone. I would have horse whistled him back if I remembered how, but yeah. I swore it was an item in my provisions kit for some reason.

DrBo42

Wiggum2007 said:
How did the I Know You quest tie into the game? Maybe I missed something.

Aspiring

So can anybody tell
why did abigale die? Was it just old age? How many years later is it when you take over Jack? Anyway its such a sad ending. Do you ever see Bonnie again? Would be good to see her and how she is going. You know when its good when hours later and im still thinking about it.

GOTY for sure. And to think i was not going to buy it. I wish it was on PC and Wii so more people could enjoy it. Its such an amazing game.

Dead Man

DrBo42 said:
The location of the last task was where John is buried, and I believe he was present at the shooting of John, too.

Aspiring said:
So can anybody tell
why did abigale die? Was it just old age? How many years later is it when you take over Jack? Anyway its such a sad ending. Do you ever see Bonnie again? Would be good to see her and how she is going. You know when its good when hours later and im still thinking about it.

GOTY for sure. And to think i was not going to buy it. I wish it was on PC and Wii so more people could enjoy it. Its such an amazing game.

Three years pass, doesn't specify how she died. Definitely not old age (she was 36 or 37 when she died).

Saw this in the Red Dead wiki though:
Players have speculated that she contracted a vascular illness, such a tuberculosis. Evidence offered in support of this idea is that Abigail will harshly cough if followed between gameplay missions at the Marston Ranch.

SamuraiX-

ZealousD said:
Game should have ended after you killed Dutch. The rest of the gang is gone, you go back to your family, and it even had a nice touch of an ending song when you make the ride back. But no. First thing the game does is pad out the end of the game by making you do a bunch of monotonous ranching missions. I guess the game was trying to get you emotionally connected to the ranch and Marston's family before eventually killing him, but I just found it boring. And then of course, the Army comes back to kill Marston. There's no reason given for why they decide to let Marston work on his ranch for a couple weeks before killing him, they just do. It's just Rockstar deciding that the Army is heartless just for the sake of them being heartless.

Okay, so maybe they're trying to come out with some sort of message. You shouldn't go into a life of crime because you can never leave it, it always stays with you and will catch up with you. But then the problem arises with Jack's epilogue. If the message is that criminal behavior will inevitably catch up to you, then why does Jack enter into that life? Jack puts himself into the cycle that John told him not to. WHAT THE FUCK kind of message is being spread here? I don't even know! Unless you hated the fact that Marston was trying to escape his life of crime, than there's absolutely nothing positive that comes out of these whole series of events. John dies. Abigail dies. Jack becomes part of the criminal cycle.

Look, it's not that I can't take any sort of unconventional ending. Hell, I thought Ubisoft did a great job with the PoP 2008 ending. But there's just nothing in that ending that is satisfactory to me. It's fucked up and makes no sense.

It wasn't the Army specific that attacked the ranch. It was a unit of lawmen and military (most likely the same ones involved in the assault on Dutch's fort) led by Edgar Ross. It was probably so Ross' report could look good saying he took down Dutch's "entire" gang, despite Marston already having nothing more to do with it. Ross just desired more glory to go along with his shiny medals and retirement.

Also, Jack doesn't follow the same life that John did. The game gives us no indication of that. If you're gonna say because the way he was dressed at the end, then you should double check the time period -- it's the wild west, nearly every local not from industrialized West Elizabeth is decked in that same kind of attire. It gives no indication that Jack went on and rode in a gang. It just leaves us with the idea that he has become a lone wolf, a many with no path left to follow. I believe the message was indeed that "you can never escape your past," and I felt the game delivered it beautifully in the end.

DrBo42 said:

Remember the last time you meet the stranger how he was standing over Beecher's Hope? Is it just coincidence that it was the same place that John died? Many people have come to believe that he was either God, the Devil, or the Angel of Death manifested into human form.

John: What are you doing here?
Stranger: My accounts. I'm an accountant.
John: Is that so?
Stranger: In a way...

The Angel of Death is usually known for accounting people who are separating their body and soul and passing on from the world. And the way the stranger says that he's an accountant "in a way" is indicative of this.

John: Tell me your name or I won't be responsible for my actions.
Stranger: Oh, but you will. You will be responsible. This is a fine spot... see ya around, cowboy.

Reminding John that he can't run away from his past and he will be punished for his actions in the end. Also, he comments on how the ranch will be a "fine spot" for his death. He already knows what's going to happen.

John: Damn you!
Stranger: Yes... many have.

Probably indicating people cursing death/God/the Devil for taking away their loved ones.

Papercuts

DrBo42 said:

The last time you meet him he talks about the spot you're both at, it ends up being where John is buried. You can also see him in that last group John gets killed by.

Aspiring

HadesGigas said:
Three years pass, doesn't specify how she died. Definitely not old age (she was 36 or 37 when she died).

Players have speculated that she contracted a vascular illness, such a tuberculosis. Evidence offered in support of this idea is that Abigail will harshly cough if followed between gameplay missions at the Marston Ranch.

Wow thank you so very much!

That is so fucking sad. As if the ending didnt hit me knowing that poor Jack lost EVERYTHING including his mother from that shit is even worse. Fuck i love this game. Its been a long time since a game has made me feel like this.

SamuraiX- said:
Remember the last time you meet the stranger how he was standing over Beecher's Hope? Is it just coincidence that it was the same place that John died? Many people have come to believe that he was either God, the Devil, or the Angel of Death manifested into human form.

John: What are you doing here?
Stranger: My accounts. I'm an accountant.
John: Is that so?
Stranger: In a way...

The Angel of Death is usually known for accounting people who are separating their body and soul and passing on from the world. And the way the stranger says that he's an accountant "in a way" is indicative of this.

John: Tell me your name or I won't be responsible for my actions.
Stranger: Oh, but you will. You will be responsible. This is a fine spot... see ya around, cowboy.

Reminding John that he can't run away from his past and he will be punished for his actions in the end. Also, he comments on how the ranch will be a "fine spot" for his death. He already knows what's going to happen.

John: Damn you!
Stranger: Yes... many have.

Probably indicating people cursing death/God/the Devil for taking away their loved ones.

FUCK! That is amazing, I NEVER even gave this a second thought, i just asumed it was an easter egg or something. Amazing.

SamuraiX-

HadesGigas said:

I like that. Never noticed that. My theory was that she died of heartache or "a broken heart," to be slightly cliche.

Dead Man said:
...and I believe he was present at the shooting of John, too.
Papercuts said:
You can also see him in that last group John gets killed by.

About that... I just checked the wiki page and under the trivia section of the strange man's character, it had this:

• An early rumor circulated just after the games release, suggested that the Strange Man is present in the mob that during the mission The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed . This has since proven to be false.

And indeed, I don't remember seeing him in that last scene...

Papercuts

SamuraiX- said:
About that... I just checked the wiki page and under the trivia section of the strange man's character, it had this:

• An early rumor circulated just after the games release, suggested that the Strange Man is present in the mob that during the mission The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed . This has since proven to be false.

And indeed, I don't remember seeing him in that last scene...

I thought I saw someone that looked like him, might've just been one of the federal guys then.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SamuraiX- said:
Also, Jack doesn't follow the same life that John did. The game gives us no indication of that.

The fact that he seeks out Ross for revenge and is skilled enough with a gun to beat him in a duel is sufficient indication for me.

Also, while this is a bit more shaky ground, if you commit some crimes while playing as Jack, he has some unique quips. "The law never did anything for me." is the only one I can remember word-for-word, but there was also a "Pa taught me that" line and another one about making his father proud.

blehh

Neo Member
ZealousD said:
The fact that he seeks out Ross for revenge and is skilled enough with a gun to beat him in a duel is sufficient indication for me.

Also, while this is a bit more shaky ground, if you commit some crimes while playing as Jack, he has some unique quips. "The law never did anything for me." is the only one I can remember word-for-word, but there was also a "Pa taught me that" line and another one about making his father proud.

there's also the "my mother would roll over in her grave" when you respond back to prostitutes.

Dead Man

ZealousD said:

I don't think there is any message, other than life is harsh, and your actions will catch up to you. Except for the revenge with Ross, Jack can be seen as very law abiding, even if he is cynical. And even that is not really a wrong thing to do, just an illegal thing. So really, he could be nothing like his father. His character is not fleshed out very much, beyond being an angry young man.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
whats happening with the multiplayer? still buggy?

I kinda figured my friendslist would be full of people playing MP regularly but almost never see anyone. Usually there'll be a small group at least, but no. Is that down to technical problems or do people just not like it?

I kinda wish there was more life in the Free roam, its so dead, so hard to find animals roaming around. not given up on it being loads of fun with a big group though. we had a blast just mesing about killing each other and having races, stumbling on gang hideouts or getting the highest bounty.

again, the manual mentions free roman hunting ranges where posses's defend against wave after wave of animals and get XP afterwards - has this been removed?? I haven't seen any.

Top Bottom