• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

bj00rn_

Banned
MacBosse said:
Red Dead Redemtion is confirmed delayed in Scandinavia.
Report is that it has to do with production problems.

Delayed a week from 21st to 28th.

18pp2.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
CozMick said:
Well choosing Gamespy as there game servers has pretty much killed the hype for me.

See, now this is something to get upset about.

Attn: Developers who insist on using Gamespy,

STOP.

CozMick

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Can someone explain all this Gamespy server hoopla. I feel out of the loop.

Gamespy servers have been used on PS3 for quite some time now.

Off the top of my head Borderlands and Wipeout HD use Gamespy servers and since the day of release there voice chat has never worked..........EVER!

And the developers never comment or try and fix it.

So, what point is there having such an epic multiplayer If you cant chat to anyone?

But then again I maybe jumping the gun and it will magically work......

*sigh*

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Net_Wrecker said:
Well damn, seems like Gamespy sucks :lol

Hopefully there aren't any problems (and hopefully the 360 version doesn't use them as well)

360 has XBL. It doesn't need (nor can it use) anything else.

Net_Wrecker said:

Hopefully there aren't any problems (and hopefully the 360 version doesn't use them as well)

It doesnt as the 360 one will use the backend of live, so doesnt need things like gamespy etc.

Net_Wrecker said:

I don't think MS cottons to additional layers (especially stuff like Gamespy) on top of XBL.

Gamespy is...ugh. Using it for Borderlands was really a pain.

Dead Man

luka said:
See, now this is something to get upset about.

Attn: Developers who insist on using Gamespy,

STOP.
:lol That is one of the things I included when I said my hype was killed and you ignored it! :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
CozMick said:
Unless you're EA of course :D

Hmm, I'm not too familiar with whatever system they use but I assume all the voice communication and matchmaking is handled through the live backend.

idahoblue said:
:lol That is one of the things I included when I said my hype was killed and you ignored it! :D

*rereads*

...So it was. Huh.

CozMick said:
Unless you're EA of course :D
Doesn't change the fact that, thanks to XBL, universal cross-game/private/party chat still works regardless of games being on EA servers. Shame about Gamespy being used still...always kinda sucked. What ever happened to all the hype about Xfire and other alternatives for PS3, I wonder.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Net_Wrecker said:
Sounds good for 360 owners anyway. That would suck for the PS3 owners if it's borked.
Wait so it's only for the PS3? Well confirms 100% on me getting the 360 version over the PS3. I was actually considering getting PS3 over 360, because i only have 2 months of gold left, but having unlimited online won't mean much if the game is dead within 2-3 months because of the gamespy shit.:lol

UFRA

Wow, if this game has just ANY of the annoyances that we had to deal with in Borderlands, I'll be so pissed...this game's potential is great, and GameSpy could easily ruin it all.

Reading these last 4 pages is hurting my brain. So many people that either...

1. Don't like open world games
2. Don't like Rockstar open world games
3. Don't like Westerns

...are complaining about all sorts of stuff. Is it the hype drawing these people into something that they obviously have no REAL interest in? And all the "disappointed" posts from people that are surprised(?) that this feels similar to GTAIV...I don't get it.

I'm pretty much just expecting GTA4 in the old west, flaws and all

I'm pretty okay with that so long as I don't have to ride all the way back to a mission if I lose

Sorry, Rockstar, that one's a dealbreaker

Lebron

ShockingAlberto said:

I'm pretty okay with that so long as I don't have to ride all the way back to a mission if I lose

I think they said they had mid-mission checkpoints, so you wouldn't have to start all the way back from the beginning.

Jtrizzy said:
Pretty disappointing with regard to the lack of controller customization. I have the Real Triggers, and while they are nice, mine fall off when I press too hard which is something I'll be doing in this game.

Is there ever a moment when the controller is better without the real triggers ?

If not glue them permanent on there !

Lebron said:
I think they said they had mid-mission checkpoints, so you wouldn't have to start all the way back from the beginning.

Yup, all the previews have said this.

I thought I saw someone wondering about the quick travel system. From what I've read you can set up camp any time and fast travel(and save as well) to any location you've previously visited. Pretty much just like Fallout 3, with a campsite instead of a Pip Boy. Also you can sleep on trains, effectively fast traveling to wherever it's going(I have no idea how the train system works, only that the skip trip option is available).

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I honestly thought that Gamespy had died out a long time ago... In fact, the last time I saw it was in Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

=Magnus said:
They're up! I just tried Multiplayer Free Roam, and was spawned in some town as some random dude. One other guy was online, tried finding him but was killed when I tried to jack a horse from a wandering posse of riders.

Magnus said:
I shot a dude's horse, and it crumpled to the ground quickly, sending its rider off the front. I nailed him once in the right knee, and he fell to the ground. He then, got up one leg, knee bent, turned and fired at me over his shoulder. I took out the other knee, and he started crawling around, pulling himself around with his arms. :lol

Magnus said:
So, being Wanted is a lot more dynamic and engaging than it seemed to be in GTAs past. Getting attention in certain areas causes a local authority to get involved, sometimes with a quick cutscene (I saw the first town's local sheriff pop out when he got the call that someone (me) was shooting up the cows on the ranch). Then it switches back to you and you can go about your business.

Magnus said:
The wanted circle of 'range' on the minimap expands and grows in different ways, and the officials seem to be able to hire posses to go after you, unexpectedly increasing the distance they're willing to travel to find you. I thought I was out of the clear once, but then got hunted down. :lol

Magnus said:
I once took out a random horse/wagon and its rider in the middle of nowhere, but one of the passengers took over the wagon before I got to it and rode it away and back to a nearby town I guess (out of my view, I couldn't catch up), and only then did Wanted status kick in.

GOTF

Big Ass Ramp said:
I honestly thought that Gamespy had died out a long time ago... In fact, the last time I saw it was in Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Loads of games still use it as the backend online, i really hope rdr doesnt have the issues some other gamespy online games have had. Anyone know if gta4 online on ps3 had voice issues?.

Edit: ohh ohhh looks like a few people have had alot of issues with voice chat online on gta4 n ps3. Hype is getting crushed for me if this happens.

Hyphen

Magnus said:
The story's slow to start. Like, mud. I'm actually kind of disappointed in the events of the first hour. Practically nothing's happened and I have no sympathy or love for any of these characters.

Riding feels fine, very Zelda-ish. I need to adjust the stick sensitivity.

Physics are like, 100% GTA IV. Which I'm not a fan of. There always seemed to be like, a half-second's worth of lag for things like jumping or initiating a sprint by mashing X, and that's still here.

And, holy fuck, while I was typing this, the game just crashed and my PS3 shut off. :lol :lol :lol

Man, I was not liking how loud it was getting.

edit- oh man, thank goodness, turned it back on and it seems to be fine. I heard three beeps, and then went over to the PS3 and I saw a flashing Red Light. Tapped the reset button once and it went a solid red, waited 10 seconds and turned the system on, and it's fine.

Fuck, I'm afraid of playing this again now.

I never understood why that was. And after what Naughty Dog did with their layered animation stuff in Uncharted, a small part of me feels that all 3rd person characters should move/control like Drake.

Trickster

Wow, how did I not know about this game until now?!

Sat checking vids on gametrailers, stumble across one for this game, then watch a few more before I realize how this sounds totally awesome.

Then I go and start to read the OP, then I come to the part with the map and read this:
The map is roughly twice the size of San Andreas and three times the size of Grand Theft Auto IV's Liberty City.

All I can say is
ibp57ds6f.gif

Finding out about this game is like finding a 100 bucks in your couch :lol

CaseyTappy said:
Is there ever a moment when the controller is better without the real triggers ?

If not glue them permanent on there !
superglue.. it's a must. you'll never want to go back to nrmal triggers anyway.

i superglued them.

Mr. Sam

Always-honest said:
superglue.. it's a must. you'll never want to go back to nrmal triggers anyway.

i superglued them.

Well, mine never come off so I didn't see the need. Still, good for you. The amount of friends that come over and are like, "What the hell's wrong with your PS3 triggers?"

slash213

Lebron said:

GTA4 already had mid-mission checkpoints, accessible via SMS you receive after leaving a hospital or police station. I guess.

Mr. Sam said:
Well, mine never come off so I didn't see the need. Still, good for you. The amount of friends that come over and are like, "What the hell's wrong with your PS3 triggers?"
they don't like them?. i love them it's a real improvement.
mine came of when i really pressed hard, like when the gameplay got reallly frustrating :p

edit: and i'm out. want to discover this zelda-esque western myself.

Hanmik

How bad i that Gamespy issue..? in borderlands on PS3 me and my Clan never had any problems. And in GTA4 it worked fine most of the time.

So what is the problem here..?

btw. we are all Europeans.. maybe it´s in the US that gamespy is terrible..? :D

Put boarderlands ps3 voice problem in google and youll find alot of people pissed off with it not working, working sometimes or breaking up and sounding like shit.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I also played Borderlands on PS3 (considerable amount of time after launch) and didn't have any problems. Didn't play WipeOut HD.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the best game for voice. That's the quality every game should have. (MW2 & UC2 are not in the same league.)

CoilShot

Do we know for sure the voice chat wont be working correctly on the ps3 version yet? I'm ready to preorder but dont want to preorder the ps3 version if the voice chat dont work right.

CozMick

Banned
CoilShot said:
Do we know for sure the voice chat wont be working correctly on the ps3 version yet? I'm ready to preorder but dont want to preorder the ps3 version if the voice chat dont work right.

I guess we just have to wait until the game rolls out on PS3.

Borderlands and Wipeout HD reviews mentioned no problems with the voice chat so.......

Lime

MacBosse said:
Red Dead Redemtion is confirmed delayed in Scandinavia.
Report is that it has to do with production problems.

Delayed a week from 21st to 28th.

For the third time, NO, the game hasn't been delayed across all of Scandinavia. Maybe Sweden or Norway, but not Denmark. The Danish distributor of RDR has confirmed the release is on schedule and will be the 21st of May. Here's the quote (in Danish):

Jeg har lige fået en mail fra den danske distributør som, på trods af spekulationerne, bekræfter og fastholder af udgivelsesdatoen er d. 21. maj!

NinjaBoiX

ShockingAlberto said:

"That's a dealbreaker ladies!"

So awful controls from GTA IV are back ah? That sucks.

I'm not going to get the game on day one because of exams and stuff, I guess this will make the wait much easier:/

MacBosse

Lime said:
For the third time, NO, the game hasn't been delayed across all of Scandinavia. Maybe Sweden or Norway, but not Denmark. The Danish distributor of RDR has confirmed the release is on schedule and will be the 21st of May. Here's the quote (in Danish):

No not maybe in Sweden. 100% sure.

But good to hear that the danish gets it!

Top Bottom