• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

CozMick

Banned
-NinjaBoiX- said:
What does this even mean? You came into the wrong thread? You don't need to tell people dude, it's not like you walked into the wrong bedroom or something.

Maybe he posted something, realised it was the wrong thread then edited it?

Gravijah

-NinjaBoiX- said:
What does this even mean? You came into the wrong thread? You don't need to tell people dude, it's not like you walked into the wrong bedroom or something.

He must have edited really quick.

Denzar

So from Magnus' impressions of the PS3 version:

- Pretty stable framerate, but dips when really hectic (nothing too bad apparently)
- Amazing draw distance
- Great visuals (looks significantly better than GTA IV)
- Jaggies (probably no AA)
- Shooting with R2/L2, can not be changed (-> buy Gioteck RealTriggers for PS3)
- Running in SP works the same as in GTA IV (X to jog, repeatedly tap X to sprint)
- No clue of resolution yet
- Eupohoria engine has been tweaked (shoot guys in their legs and they crawl using both arms)
- Wanted system is similar, though expanded from GTA IV
- Horses control really well
- Slow start
- Feels like GTA IV in the west
- Shooting (compared to GTA IV) has been refined (Thx MvmntInGrn)

Mik2121

Man, I'm so glad I'm one of the people that liked the GTAIV physics. Too heavy feel? Maybe, but it felt good for me, so I guess RDR will feel even better :)

edit - ^^^^^^^

Didn't Rockstar say that you had to press X repeatedly to get a certain speed and then just leave it at that as cruise speed? Or was it just for the horses?

Tr4nce

Ok I'm back in. Having too much fun reading Magnus' impressions.

Look at how the left horse reacts when the other horse gets too close, then look at how the horse at the right swings it's tails because of this. The animation is so awesome.

zy5xr7.gif

Facism

Gamespy :lol

The voicechat complaints are new to me, but my biggest beef with gamespy is that it just doesn't work properly. GTA4, when I tried to get online first day, it wouldn't find players or disconnected when it did. I put it down to so many people trying to get on. 3 months later same shit. Red Alert 3 on PC I still can't get into 4 out of 5 games because similar issues. Ports forwarded, router DMZ'd, everything. Gamespy plain doesn't work properly for me in the UK.

I know it's a minor derail, but i was really looking forward to playing online with my ps3 friendslist, but now that's out the window and dented my hype somewhat. Maybe day 1, but on 360 rather than ps3.

Deepack said:

- Pretty stable framerate, but dips when really hectic (nothing too bad apparently)
- Amazing draw distance
- Running in SP works the same as in GTA IV (X to jog, repeatedly tap X to sprint)
- Eupohoria engine has been tweaked (shoot guys in their legs and they crawl using both arms)
- Slow start

Sounds good!

Deepack said:

- Amazing draw distance
- Slow start
I'd add from his impressions:
-shooting mechanics refined (more precise)

Overall sounds good to me. Really wish they would allow a different controller layout, but I'll get used to it quickly (R2 to shoot isn't the end of the world to me, but R1 is just plain better)

UrbanRats

Deepack said:

- Amazing draw distance
- Slow start
So this is a Wastern free roam? Man, i'm not liking what i'm reading, pre-order cancelled!

Ya, joke post. :p

Denzar

Mik2121 said:
Man, I'm so glad I'm one of the people that liked the GTAIV physics. Too heavy feel? Maybe, but it felt good for me, so I guess RDR will feel even better :)

edit - ^^^^^^^

Didn't Rockstar say that you had to press X repeatedly to get a certain speed and then just leave it at that as cruise speed? Or was it just for the horses?

I loved GTA IV's physics too...

It is indeed very different from other open world games (and other games in general). Everything has a certain weight to it. It added to sense of immersion for me. It made me feel part of the world.

I understand that some people found it to be clunky, but that did not bother me.

Also, everything had physics... Hot dogs, tubes of mustard, bricks, grenades, RPG rockets, doors, closet doors, lamps, etc... One of the most advanced physics engines out there.

Gravijah

Deepack said:
I loved GTA IV's physics too...

It is indeed very different from other open world games (and other games in general). Everything has a certain weight to it. It added to sense of immersion for me. It made me feel part of the world.

I understand that some people found it to be clunky, but that did not bother me.

Aslo, everything had physics... Hot dogs, tubes of mustard, bricks, grenades, RPG rockets, doors, closet doors, lamps, etc... One of the most advanced physics engines out there.

I love the physics in GTAIV, too. I can't wait to see what a horse trampling someone looks like...

Darklord said:
Really? Really?
Yeah, they could never fix the running bu from GTA where you could tap x to get infinite run I guess.

Edit: ugh, the Voice acting in that youtube video sounded terrible. I hadn't heard Marston's voice until now and the girl was no better.

Binabik15

Deepack said:

- Amazing draw distance
- Shooting with R2/L2, can not be changed
(-> buy Gioteck RealTriggers for PS3)
- Slow start
- Shooting (compared to GTA IV) has been refined (Thx MvmntInGrn)

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Why?! That´ll force me to buy it on xbox despite prefering the PS3 controller (and my PS3 is hooked up to a 5.1 system).

What I put up with to play around with Euphoria...

bunbun777

Pushing x is not a big deal- for one you get a horse. If you are actually sprinting somewhere- I mean why?

And if you do decide to sprint in town or out in the middle of nowhere- well.... put your back into it.

Shoot first, bitch about tapping x later.

UrbanRats said:
Wow@wave of disappointment about things known from months. :lol
what the controls or the voices, because nothing at all was know about the ps3 version, including the controls. I just had never seen a SP video yet and didn't hear that voice. IT sounds terribly out of place.

UrbanRats

BobTheFork said:
what the controls or the voices, because nothing at all was know about the ps3 version, including the controls. I just had never seen a SP video yet and didn't hear that voice. IT sounds terribly out of place.
Not referring to you :p
more talking about physics, tap X to run, complaint etc.
I mean this was a game developed from Rockstaron on the RAGE engine, if you(in general) hated everybit of GTA4, there's no sense in being "disappointed" now.

I also find Marston's voice acting terrible(from the leaked video)i like the girl's though.. then again, i'm not American/English so i can't quite judge Eng. voice acting.

DMeisterJ

Banned
So there are reports of problems with voice chat in the game, or from GameSpy servers? I've never heard of problems in Borderlands or WipEout HD, but I don't own either of them.

I hope voice chat is fine in this game, as that would be a big deal. :/

Denzar

UrbanRats said:
Not referring to you :p
more talking about physics, tap X to run, complaint etc.
I mean this was a game developed from Rockstaron on the RAGE engine, if you(in general) hated everybit of GTA4, there's no sense in being "disappointed" now.

I also find Marston's voice acting terrible(from the leaked video)i like the girl's though.. then again, i'm not American/English so i can't quite judge Eng. voice acting.
Kind of agree...

Sounds like he is shouting... :D

Loudninja

DMeisterJ said:
So there are reports of problems with voice chat in the game, or from GameSpy servers? I've never heard of problems in Borderlands or WipEout HD, but I don't own either of them.

I hope voice chat is fine in this game, as that would be a big deal. :/

No people are assuming.

Messi

Amazed to find out johnny kelbits and john marston are not the same voice actor. I could have sworn it was the same guy doing both voices.

MMaRsu

Yeah tapping X to run was known for awhile and I even bitched about it in the other RDR thread. R* are dumb in lots of cases, we already knew that.

Messi

Deepack said:
Same here. I was in awe.

I was happy the guy was getting more work :lol Johnny Klebits was awesome. But this guys seems like he is good, his voice suits the character from what i've seen.

Surprised so many people have issues with the tapping X to run thing. I have no problem with jogging taking more effort than walking, and running taking more effort than jogging. Adds realism.

Definity

I remember playing this game at PAX and for me personally I thought the controls were much smoother than GTA. They are not perfect by no means but they felt better to me and riding on horse back felt great. I still can't get over how much better the animations and visuals looked compared to GTA.

Is it Tuesday yet?

Dynamic3

I personally wasn't a huge fan of GTAIV's physics. When you would hit someone at high speed they would float like you triggered some sort of anti-grav, and if you would hit someone driving <1 mpg they would fall like a sack of bricks. It was weird. RDR seems to be much improved from the vids I have watched though.

BC2 on the other hand has awesome death physics, though not so much in the still alive hit reaction department.

anddo0

So it seems R* claim of not being a GTA western were false?

As long as the shooting controls have been tighten (which it sounds like they have) and the character animations are less robotic. I guess, I can deal.

For those with the game, is the mission structure more comparable to GTA4/LAD or TBoGT?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sounds great based on impressions/reviews. Control issues overblown, as usual. Gamespy, will wait and see before judging. GTA4 chat/play was great online. Borderlands was touchy (at times) but for the most part the voice chat was actually good.

UrbanRats

anddo0 said:
So it seems R* claim of not being a GTA western were false?
Erm, the game share with it a fair amount of stuff, but calling it just a GTA in west is unfair.
A lot of things like fame system, procedural generated events, economic system, etc were not present in GTA and it gives RDR much of a personality on its own.. then again, it's a freeroam on RAGE from Rockstar, ofcourse it's similar to GTA4 (to me this is a great thing, since i've loved that game).

KAOz

Short bus special
MacBosse said:
No not maybe in Sweden. 100% sure.

But good to hear that the danish gets it!

From Rockstar themselves:
Noticed the comments here speculating about the release date. Red Dead Redemption will be in stores next week in North America on May 18th and throughout Europe on May 21st. Also, just wanted to let our Scandinavian fans know that we are currently having some supply issues specifically with our local Scandinavian distributor, but we are working very hard to resolve this in time for the 21st. We will keep you posted.

Also, Webhallen has put their date as the 21st again. And it's very, very rare that Webhallen is wrong.

So, it seems we Swede's might get it in time anyway.

Edit: Alot of other online stores has put it back aswell.

Aspiring

I wanted this game sooo bad, but all this talk of it being GTA 4 in the West turned me off. I HATED GTA 4. So if this is essentially the same but with a different setting i am not interested. Anyone have the game? Can sell me otherwise?

Gravijah

Aspiring said:
I wanted this game sooo bad, but all this talk of it being GTA 4 in the West turned me off. I HATED GTA 4. So if this is essentially the same but with a different setting i am not interested. Anyone have the game? Can sell me otherwise?

What did you hate about GTAIV?

Dynamic3

Updated and reposting:

U.S. Pre-Order Bonuses/Deals

Amazon: 'exclusive' Golden Guns [increased fame] and a $20 gc.

BB: War Horse [faster + dmg resistance] (presumably an early unlock).

GameCrazy: exclusive mini guide.

GS: 'Limited Edition' which includes a slipcover, the Deadly Assassin Outfit [dead eye regenerates 2x faster], Soundtrack (presumably digital), 'exclusive' challenges, and a $10 gc (gc online only).

R*: t-shirt.

Target: $5 gc (in-store only).

TRU: $25 gc (in-store on 5/18 between 10am and 2pm only).

Wal-Mart: $20 gc (online only).

Denzar

Aspiring said:
Magnus, the one dude on GAF that has the game right now says it feels very much like GTA IV in the West.

UrbanRats

Aspiring said:
It depends on what you hated about it, but i guess that if you "HATED" it, this is not for ya.
Then again i'm wondering: You wanted this so bad but didn't know about it being similar to GTA4?

Aspiring

It got boring and went on for too long. It started slow, got real good, and than with about 75% left just dragged on. Missions had no real variety and i hated dying and having to start from the start of a mission. Thats pretty much it. But it really killed me to finish, so much so that when i did i literally yelled "FUCK YES!" Took it out and never touched it since.

So really, how are the missions in this? Are they more varied?

And yeah actually i had no idea this was GTA4 like set in the west. TBH the only trailer i have seen of it was the Multiplayer Posse thing on LIVE, and that looked amazing. Than i read up on it and found out it was like GTA4.

Anyway, hate is a strong word, its just the missions got boring in GTA4 because they were all essentially the same thing, and for some of the reasons i mentioned above. Is it the same in this?

Aspiring said:

Well it's an open-world game set in the west. It has shooting and cover mechanics. It's immersive and atmospheric. It has fleshed out, slightly quirky characters. You do story and side-quest missions at your leisure. I guess you could even say that cars are sort of replaced by horses.

But then you could play that comparison game with titles like BFBC 2 and MW 2 yet they are quite obviously different.

Tbh you need to specify what you disliked about GTA4. If you disliked it because you wanted jet-packs, gyms and rocket launchers then you may not enjoy RDR.

Aspiring said:
It got boring and went on for too long. It started slow, got real good, and than with about 75% left just dragged on. Missions had no real variety and i hated dying and having to start from the start of a mission. Thats pretty much it. But it really killed me to finish, so much so that when i did i literally yelled "FUCK YES!" Took it out and never touched it since.

Hard to tell the length of the game atm. I agree, the ending of GTA4 did drag. There are mid-mission checkpoints so you're fine there. As for variety - hard to tell again. It seems like there is but I'd wait on reviews for that.

Gravijah

Aspiring said:

There are mid mission checkpoints, the setting is different. I've heard good things about the missions, but I haven't played the game, so.

Top Bottom