• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

brentech

I've used expert from the moment I was able to set the option loading the game.

Having gone through it during GTA, I just knew I'd be too annoyed by the lock on and didn't even want to play around with it. Sadly, I'm forced to online still since I really just played hardcore single player till 100% am and just now getting to online stuff.

But, to topic, I usually don't have any issues what-so-ever when not on a moving object. So, with that said, I almost never use dead-eye in any situation other than when moving fast. At that point, I do see the problem with the aim being a little slow. To compensate, that's when I use dead-eye almost always.

Haunted

Helmholtz said:
So what kind of aim assist do you guys use?
I've been using normal and I'm finding it too easy, as it just snaps to a target when you press left trigger. When I use Expert, I find the gun turns too slow when zoomed in, even on the highest sensitivity.
I'm on 360 btw
Expert all the way.

Lunchbox

Banned
Haunted said:
Expert all the way.

experts broken in the game, the crosshair doesnt move the way you want it

Expert should turn the shooting into Gears style aiming so it behaves like TPS where you manually aim and take cover etc. but the game wasnt built like that so it doesnt work

went back to medium after trying expert

brentech

Lunchbox said:
experts broken in the game, the crosshair doesnt move the way you want it

Expert should turn the shooting into Gears style aiming. but the game wasnt built like that so it doesnt work

went back to medium after trying expert
Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate a bit on how it's not working for you?

Sanic

Yes! I'm finally out of Mexico!

Ultimately didn't like it, felt like I was just sidetracked from the main story for 1/3 to 1/2 the game. Williamson and the other guy felt like afterthoughts tacked onto the end of the Mexico storyline. The area also suffers from "Rockstar mid-story fatigue", where it felt like I was aimlessly going around doing random missions for people for no reason.

Does Landon Rickets show up again?

UrbanRats said:
That's a
cheatcode

Really? How do those work?

Pandoracell said:
Yes! I'm finally out of Mexico!

Ultimately didn't like it, felt like I was just sidetracked from the main story for 1/3 to 1/2 the game. Williamson and the other guy felt like afterthoughts tacked onto the end of the Mexico storyline. The area also suffers from "Rockstar mid-story fatigue", where it felt like I was aimlessly going around doing random missions for people for no reason.

Does Landon Rickets show up again?

I thought the Mexico finale was very Tarantino-esque. Anti-climactic and it served as a good transition into the final act.

Klocker

Haunted said:
Expert all the way.

played lots of time on Normal and got bored with the snap to easy kills so went to Expert... after a few days it feels the best... can't hit every target unless I use dead eye but am not bad either. Hunting feels right as now when a group of deer run by, I get 2 out of 5 instead of all 5, which feels legit. Also I like clicking DE occasionally and then firing one round manually for those kill shots.

Wiggum2007

I really enjoyed the (late game spoilers)
Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now atmosphere of the Dutch sections of the game. That scouting mission + the fog my game had at the time + creepy music = awesome. I really loved that music that played in Dutch's missions, the one with the eerie bass beats.
Is it on the soundtrack anywhere?

Klocker said:
played lots of time on Normal and got bored with the snap to easy kills so went to Expert... after a few days it feels the best... can't hit every target unless I use dead eye but am not bad either. Hunting feels right as now when a group of deer run by, I get 2 out of 5 instead of all 5, which feels legit. Also I like clicking DE occasionally and then firing one round manually for those kill shots.

I've played on expert since the beginning. It's not that hard at all. Many times I forget to use dead eye in situations where I should activate it. I don't die that often, but it happens. Normal is more like easy. And easy is like grandma mode.

Death Dealer said:
I've played on expert since the beginning. It's not that hard at all. Many times I forget to use dead eye in situations where I should activate it. I don't die that often, but it happens. Normal is more like easy. And easy is like grandma mode.

Out of curiosity, are you guys using expert aim whilst online too?

UrbanRats

disappeared said:
Really? How do those work?
Go in the
options and then in the cheats section, from there, press "Y"(or triangle)and enter that line.
That specific code is to play as Jack before the time.
In the cheats section of RedDeadwiki there are all the codes listed(or else go on gamefaqs).
Remember though, when you activate a code the game disable the ability to save and unlock achievements, until you reload or reboot the game. ;)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I just made it to Mexico and found a poncho outfit :lol

I'm about 20 hours in and I haven't even touched the multiplayer.

Solo

Just beat the game at 98.3%. Loved when they decided to show the end credits. Very fitting. I wish I hadnt had the ending spoiled for me by some shitbag in here, because it may have genuinely took me by surprise if I hadnt known. Anyways, I got COMPLETE
revenge on Ross. Not only did I kill him, but I killed his wife and brother, too. An eye for an eye is how John Marston Junior plays.

Ive spouted all my superlatives already, so Ill just be brief: RDR is the game of the generation, and by a large margin the best product Rockstar has ever made. Bring on the (inevitable) sequel.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just finished today. After the credits, got my 100%. Took only -according to the stats- 2 days and roughly 3 hours of time.

voltron

Im assuming the reports online of a UFO are fake?

I was playing last night thinking it would be cool if Rockstar put one in as an easter egg, and a Google search brings up a few hits. They seem to be BS though.

Solo

Looks like all I need to get my last 1.7% is get the US Marshall outfit and get 12 more bounties. Looks like Ill be getting 100% in this one. First R* since Vice City I'll have done it for.

Solo said:
Just beat the game at 98.3%. Loved when they decided to show the end credits. Very fitting. I wish I hadnt had the ending spoiled for me by some shitbag in here, because it may have genuinely took me by surprise if I hadnt known. Anyways, I got COMPLETE
revenge on Ross. Not only did I kill him, but I killed his wife and brother, too. An eye for an eye is how John Marston Junior plays.

Ive spouted all my superlatives already, so Ill just be brief: RDR is the game of the generation, and by a large margin the best product Rockstar has ever made. Bring on the (inevitable) sequel.
I didn't kill Ross's wife or his brother because they weren't the ones to blame. I did, however, shoot Ross in the head EIGHT FUCKING TIMES BECAUSE THAT MOTHERFUCKER DESERVED IT BADLY. His head turned into a bouquet of flowers. It was beautiful.

Solo said:
Looks like all I need to get my last 1.7% is get the US Marshall outfit and get 12 more bounties. Looks like Ill be getting 100% in this one. First R* since Vice City I'll have done it for.
The most amazing thing about this game is that you never get bored in your progress towards 100%. I played the game for 98 hours and I never got bored. Remarkable design. I don't know what the folks at Rockstar San Diego are fed, but I hope they get a shitload more.

oh crap. apparently i missed an important bit of dialogue.. after one of the first missions for West Dickens, he tells me why i should go find
Seth
. but i missed it. so umm can someone tell me why im now hanging out with this
really fucked up Seth dude.
thanks.

Gileadxv

Banned
Phenomenal game. It's one of the few games where I didn't mind ignoring a quest objective if I saw something intriguing and worth exploring. I also found myself walking a lot when in towns. Everything seemed to fit so naturally, that unless the location was a good distance away, I didn't mind moseying my way there.

My only frustration is that I seem to be locked at 99.5%! I've checked multiple 100% checklists and poured over my stats, and I can't seem to find the missing half percent. The only thing that seems out of place is when I check the Rockstar social club, it shows me as missing the U.S. Marshal outfit...despite the fact that I'm wearing it in the game! My bounties, houses, jobs, special weapons...everything seems to be complete. I feel like Sisyphus on the mountain :lol . Other than that small gripe; I loved nearly every second of it.

Except hunting for beavers and skunks
Damn you, damn you to hell!

astroturfing said:
oh crap. apparently i missed an important bit of dialogue.. after one of the first missions for West Dickens, he tells me why i should go find
Seth
. but i missed it. so umm can someone tell me why im now hanging out with this
really fucked up Seth dude.
thanks.
Can't you just replay the mission?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Gileadxv said:
Phenomenal game. It's one of the few games where I didn't mind ignoring a quest objective if I saw something intriguing and worth exploring. I also found myself walking a lot when in towns. Everything seemed to fit so naturally, that unless the location was a good distance away, I didn't mind moseying my way there.

My only frustration is that I seem to be locked at 99.5%! I've checked multiple 100% checklists and poured over my stats, and I can't seem to find the missing half percent. The only thing that seems out of place is when I check the Rockstar social club, it shows me as missing the U.S. Marshal outfit...despite the fact that I'm wearing it in the game! My bounties, houses, jobs, special weapons...everything seems to be complete. I feel like Sisyphus on the mountain :lol . Other than that small gripe; I loved nearly every second of it.

Except hunting for beavers and skunks
Damn you, damn you to hell!

How are your bounties? For 100%, its the bounty location that matters.

And the Social Club site is bugged. Says I'm at 76% complete when I'm 100%

Solo

The most amazing thing about this game is that you never get bored in your progress towards 100%. I played the game for 98 hours and I never got bored. Remarkable design. I don't know what the folks at Rockstar San Diego are fed, but I hope they get a shitload more.

Indeed! I must have dumped 50 hours into the game easily, and of all the adjectives I would have used from second one to hour 50, "bored" certainly wasnt one of them. In fact, I found it quite the opposite experience - hard to out down because you're always discovering something new and awesome.

Meus Renaissance said:
I don't think that's possible. I hear that game saves are locked to the profile that first created that game save data. What I do know for sure however is that even if you could access another's save data, the achievements would not unlock for any new progression; those are definitely linked to the profile that created the save data in the first place. This is so the Achievement system is not undermined like the game save sharing business with the PS3. I remember doing that to unlock some Trophies :lol

I can understand you being annoyed but trust me, the game in itself is the experience more so than the story. Start again? I plan to when I finish
Yeah the saves are locked, but with the harddrive transfer program you can get around that. Also I don't really mind so much bout the achievements, as I'll probably just set up an offline account to use the save if I get one (apparently its a ban-worthy if you use it on Live because of what you just described). Anyways if I can't get a save online I'm going to have to wait till my friend gets the game and catches up, which will prob be a month from now....its really shit though cause even though it (probably) wasn't the games fault, the experience is tarnished for me now, which sucks. If I can't get a save and my friend doesn't get the game I guess I'll replay it, but prob not till september or so at least..... :(

Wiggum2007

Solo said:

What'd you think of the I Know You stranger quest and
the way it tied into the ending? I really liked the character of the Strange Man and his ambiguous nature as satan/angel of death/divine or what have you. The last encounter with him was chilling, especially looking back on it after the end of the game.

Ergh, multiplayer is absolutely awful.

Trying to play expert mode multi when you can hardly aim at your opponent is frustrating as hell. It's like Rockstar wanted people to do that 'dance while I shoot at your legs' schtick.

If you do manage to hit someone, don't worry you just grazed him while he killed you in barrage of bullets with his level 21 semi-automatic high power future pistol. I'm all for presenting the game as at the 'turn of the technological age', but when the majority of players start out with a pea shooter it's a little unfair. Balance is non-existent; there is a 'best gun' and that is it.

Which brings in the Dead Eye system. It was a stupid decision not to give people at least a little bit of bar to go into the game to make things a little easier for those who aren't very good, given that the people who have the good guns get it more and quicker. You basically get killed, then respawn and get killed again because the guy that killed you had enough Dead Eye to shoot you in the head from across the map.

There might as well be no cover system, given that I've never seen someone use it.

There should also be a way to put your targeting mode at a low sensitivity and then
have your normal setting at high.

I think the game also suffers from what The Warriors multiplayer did - it takes too long to get into a game. That whole 'one gang, two gang YOU' thing? I wish I could just skip that altogether and start playing. I don't care if it 'gives people an advantage' or something.

Needless to say, I see it as no coincidence that you guys don't talk about multiplayer whatsoever.

oatmeal

Banned
Just finished it...

Man, what a great great ending...

It's unfortunate that you had to go to Mexico, that was BY FAR the low point of the game. I was considering stopping and selling it, but I'm glad I pulled through.

They definitley should have done 1/3rd of the amount of missions in Mexico, and 3x as much in Blackwater. Blackwater was great, but way underused...

Seriously great ending...I just wish it wasn't so Mexico focused for awhile.

MarshMellow96 said:

Trying to play expert mode multi when you can hardly aim at your opponent is frustrating as hell. It's like Rockstar wanted people to do that 'dance while I shoot at your legs' schtick.

If you do manage to hit someone, don't worry you just grazed him while he killed you in barrage of bullets with his level 21 semi-automatic high power future pistol. I'm all for presenting the game as at the 'turn of the technological age', but when the majority of players start out with a pea shooter it's a little unfair. Balance is non-existent; there is a 'best gun' and that is it.

Which brings in the Dead Eye system. It was a stupid decision not to give people at least a little bit of bar to go into the game to make things a little easier for those who aren't very good, given that the people who have the good guns get it more and quicker. You basically get killed, then respawn and get killed again because the guy that killed you had enough Dead Eye to shoot you in the head from across the map.

There might as well be no cover system, given that I've never seen someone use it.

There should also be a way to put your targeting mode at a low sensitivity and then

I think the game also suffers from what The Warriors multiplayer did - it takes too long to get into a game. That whole 'one gang, two gang YOU' thing? I wish I could just skip that altogether and start playing. I don't care if it 'gives people an advantage' or something.

Needless to say, I see it as no coincidence that you guys don't talk about multiplayer whatsoever.

I like multiplayer, it's fun pwning noobs.

MarshMellow96 said:

Not only that, but I've yet to play a multiplayer game (at least in free roam) where I wasn't disconnected after 10 minutes. It's fucking bullshit if you ask me. I did try playing the competitive modes and I experienced the same thing as you. I was getting destroyed by dudes twice my level. It's tough to justify trying to play it even though I really want to.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Credits rolling right now.

(ending spoilers)
Thank GOD there was revenge on Ross. When I opened the map with adult Jack and there was no main plot mission I got kind of desperate for a moment, thinking that it was only a (great) way to keep playing on the open world.

Wiggum2007 said:
What'd you think of the I Know You stranger quest and
the way it tied into the ending? I really liked the character of the Strange Man and his ambiguous nature as satan/angel of death/divine or what have you. The last encounter with him was chilling, especially looking back on it after the end of the game.
I liked how he comments on
John's personal morality regarding marriage and killing. It's nice how it's implied that he's most likely something bigger than just a simple ghost too ("damn You!", "yes, many have"). The final encounter was predictable but still great and yeah, it's awesome how it happened on the spot John would be buried.

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, they give a reason. In fact, they say it explicitly.

Dutch says that Marsten can kill him, but eventually they are going to need a new enemy, and then they will come after Marsten. Ross used Marsten's gun to shoot Dutch so he could build a case that Marsten is still running around and murdering people.
Good call on what Dutch said and Marston becoming the "new enemy", that didn't occur to me straight away. I did notice that Ross using Marston's gun was foreshadowing to something like that but I ended up letting it slide while I was going back to the ranch thinking the game was about to end, lol.

SamuraiX-

Quoted for mother fucking truth. This is something I have never experienced with any of the GTA games. RockStar San Diego's next IP will definitely be on my top watch list.

Also, LOL @ the carnival of stupid. I went back through the first few pages of that thread. Such a glorious trip that was. :lol :lol :lol

Gileadxv

Banned
TheUsual said:
How are your bounties? For 100%, its the bounty location that matters.

And the Social Club site is bugged. Says I'm at 76% complete when I'm 100%

My stats show all 20 bounty locations found. I have scoured everything that I could possibly think of and used multiple checklists. Everything checks out except for the Marshal Uniform. I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be :lol

Fuu

And holy shit, this game is so goddamn pretty all the time, I don't even. Can't be said enough.

Sanic

I must be rushing through the game, i'm close to finishing it (story wise) and i'm only at 13 hours :lol My urge to grind through story missions hasn't gone away, even though i've left Mexico. I guess i'm missing out :/. But I can't wait for the ending, all of this spoilered talk is really pushing me forward.

I've found a new fun thing to do. Find unusual places, and turn on the drunk code. Very entertaining. Best one was on top of a building in
Blackwater
. Staggered over the side and limply landed on a pedestrian.

Lunchbox

Banned
brentech said:
Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate a bit on how it's not working for you?

the crosshair movement is sluggish. in a out and out third person shooter the reticule behaves in a certain way. you go towards the edges and the game realizes you want to move the camera (fast) here its not fast enough. its hard to move from target to target

thats why i moved back to medium. casuals too dumb because then your just locked in

Wiggum2007

Fuu said:
I liked how he comments on
John's personal morality regarding marriage and killing. It's nice how it's implied that he's most likely something bigger than just a simple ghost too ("damn You!", "yes, many have"). The final encounter was predictable but still great and yeah, it's awesome how it happened on the spot John would be buried.

Agreed. Also
the cryptic comment about how "this is a nice spot". Then at the end of the game you realize what he was talking about: that spot is John's final resting place.

Also just had a hilarious free roam session, we had a posse of 4 or 5 people trying to take out a gang hideout, while at the same time having to fend off a rival posse of players who were rushing us with lit dynamite kamikaze-style. :lol

Fuu

Wiggum2007 said:
Agreed. Also
the cryptic comment about how "this is a nice spot". Then at the end of the game you realize what he was talking about: that spot is John's final resting place.
Yep, all the subtlety was great. Pretty sweet how an optional side mission can mean so much when all is said and done.

UrbanRats

Pandoracell said:
I must be rushing through the game, i'm close to finishing it (story wise) and i'm only at 13 hours :lol My urge to grind through story missions hasn't gone away, even though i've left Mexico. I guess i'm missing out :/. But I can't wait for the ending, all of this spoilered talk is really pushing me forward.
Finish it, you can catch up later, with the extra stuff.

Fuuuuuuuuuuu...

Started playing this a few days ago and got up to meeting Irish.

I leave my 6 year old cousin to play around on my horse for like 10 minutes. Later that night I see that my saved game was deleted!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGEE! How far into the game was I? By the way the game is truly fantastic...awesome mission variety FTW!

Tricky I Shadow said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuu...

Started playing this a few days ago and got up to meeting Irish.

I leave my 6 year old cousin to play around on my horse for like 10 minutes. Later that night I see that my saved game was deleted!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGEE! How far into the game was I? By the way the game is truly fantastic...awesome mission variety FTW!
You weren't far at all.

Top Bottom