• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Holy Fucktaco:

I thought I beat the game and was just left in the world as Jack, I was just wondering around and found the "Remember my family" mission in Blackwater, I just thought it was some random mission. I did it, popped Ross in the chest, then the credits roll, holy fuck. I mean, I did think it was strange that there were no credits when first take control of Jack, I wonder how many people there are that aren't going to find that last mission?

Also the music in this game is fucking amazing,
when you first ride through mexico and "Far Away" starts playing, to when you're riding home to your family and "Compass" comes on, man they fucking nailed the music in this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have nothing but bounties left. Is there a quick way to make them pop up? I need 6 more in Mexico but the only way I can seem to get them is just standing in a town for a random amount of time.

Papercuts said:
I have nothing but bounties left. Is there a quick way to make them pop up? I need 6 more in Mexico but the only way I can seem to get them is just standing in a town for a random amount of time.
Sleep for a day and wait a couple of minutes. Worked for me like a charm.

flsh

Banned
Just got to the part *spoiler deleted* turned my xbox off. I have no idea how it got the reviews it did, but man is it nice having a long game this gen :lol
They should fix a lot of things in it. I hope there's a sequel (spiritual or numerical) for this. I didn't like any other sandbox game nearly as much.
Tomorrow I'll finish this and do some bounties.

Gileadxv

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
Warning Spoilers

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/100%_Completion

Check with that list. At what completion percentage do you currently stand?

I'm currently at 99.5%. I've been over that list with fine tooth comb -- all of it's completed! I quadruple checked my bounties to make sure all 20 locations were found; as well as went and re-did all 5 job locations just in case I had missed one. Went back to the rentable properties and camped for the night, just to be safe. I've redone every gang hideout; I'm a Legend of the West; I've done all 18 Stranger quests. Literally, the only thing I don't have is my 100% outfit. Although, my social club page seems to think I don't have my U.S. Marshal outfit. I've never 100% a Rockstar game, so I was pretty excited...alas, perhaps it's not to be. Fortunately, the journey more than makes up for the destination :D

Wiggum2007

flsh said:
Just got to the part I'm playing Jack and turned my xbox off.
I have no idea how it got the reviews it did, but man is it nice having a long game this gen :lol
They should fix a lot of things in it. I hope there's a sequel (spiritual or numerical) for this. I didn't like any other sandbox game nearly as much.

Jesus dude, spoiler tag that shit.

flsh said:
Just got to the part I'm playing Jack

It's like a window into your future!

Sanic

flsh said:
Just got to the part I'm playing Jack
and turned my xbox off. I have no idea how it got the reviews it did, but man is it nice having a long game this gen :lol

Oh come on. I'm leaving this thread until i'm done with the game, this is the second thing that's been spoiled for me because certain people don't know how to post :/.

SamuraiX-

flsh said:
Just got to the part I'm playing Jack and turned my xbox off.
I have no idea how it got the reviews it did, but man is it nice having a long game this gen :lol

This fool better be banned for months for this bullshit. Really? What a useless fucking post for an unnecessary spoiler.

Aurora

flsh you're lucky I just finished the game about 30 minutes ago.

The ending of the game was amazing. Really unexpected but it tied the story nicely. Just had my first session of multiplayer and it's a lot of fun, although I don't see what else there is to do apart from Gang Hideouts(?)

I've 3 more bounties in Nuevo Pairso (Mexico) but all the bounties in El Presidio, Chuparosa and Escalera are all ?. Do they pop up anywhere else in the area?

Klocker

MarshMellow96 said:
Ergh, multiplayer is absolutely awful.

Trying to play expert mode multi when you can hardly aim at your opponent is frustrating as hell. It's like Rockstar wanted people to do that 'dance while I shoot at your legs' schtick.

If you do manage to hit someone, don't worry you just grazed him while he killed you in barrage of bullets with his level 21 semi-automatic high power future pistol....

I agree the aiming sucks in expert for MP because of the dancing, but just to correct you; everybody starts out with the same loadout regardless of level. Leveled up loadouts are only for free roam. You just have to learn where all the weapon drops are.also since the big boys know where they are, the build up some dead eye quickly... I agree, game online would be better with some tweaks but I don't think it's disastrous.

Dead eye for all or none is a start

robut said:
I've 3 more bounties in Nuevo Pairso (Mexico) but all the bounties in El Presidio, Chuparosa and Escalera are all ?. Do they pop up anywhere else in the area?
You need to do those bounties and check your percentage if they count. I had to do about six of those "?" bounties and they all counted towards my completion rate.

^Damn.

Gileadxv said:
I'm currently at 99.5%. I've been over that list with fine tooth comb -- all of it's completed! I quadruple checked my bounties to make sure all 20 locations were found; as well as went and re-did all 5 job locations just in case I had missed one. Went back to the rentable properties and camped for the night, just to be safe. I've redone every gang hideout; I'm a Legend of the West; I've done all 18 Stranger quests. Literally, the only thing I don't have is my 100% outfit. Although, my social club page seems to think I don't have my U.S. Marshal outfit. I've never 100% a Rockstar game, so I was pretty excited...alas, perhaps it's not to be. Fortunately, the journey more than makes up for the destination :D
Have you finished or encountered Aztec Gold?

Son of a bitch. I'm still working my way towards 100% completion, and now my 360 won't last more than about 30 seconds without locking up. Freaking Microsoft.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I've had this game for weeks but really haven't played it. Does the AI in poker ramp up at all as you go along? I know it's a really stupid thing to care about but holy shit is it bad so far. :lol Anyway, awesome game.

Aurora

Pelydr said:
I've had this game for weeks but really haven't played it. Does the AI in poker ramp up at all as you go along? I know it's a really stupid thing to care about but holy shit is it bad so far. :lol Anyway, awesome game.
Yes. I've found that the further into the game you get, the better the Poker players. The players found in
Blackwater
pose the biggest challenge. The biggest problem with Poker in this game is that they give every player a certain playstyle that becomes obvious after a while so you can use it to your advantage and destroy them.

Wiggum2007

Did everyone else have (ending spoilers)
a big thunderstorm at the end when the army came for you? Or did I just get lucky enough for that to happen? Because it was epic.

DrBo42

Holy shit. I finally got around to reading your responses about the I Know You quest and the ending. Blew my fucking mind. :lol I kinda want to play again just so I can catch that stuff.

Rflagg

Has rockstar officially announced any single player dlc? The multi-player stuff might hold me for a bit, but really want some more post end game missions. Currently at 90% though so a bit of stuff to complete and will likely try for plat just because the game is so awesome. After this the wait for the next Red Dead will be murder.:lol

Wiggum2007

Aurora said:
^ It was sunny for me. Yours is certainly more epic!

Damn, now that means any time I replay that moment I won't be able to play it any other way, I'm going to have to keep sleeping/saving before hand until I get stormy weather again. :lol

Rflagg said:
Has rockstar officially announced any single player dlc? The multi-player stuff might hold me for a bit, but really want some more post end game missions. Currently at 90% though so a bit of stuff to complete and will likely try for plat just because the game is so awesome. After this the wait for the next Red Dead will be murder.:lol

There's co-op coming out June 22nd, I think its supposed to be like the single player. I hope its not just more hideouts.

SamuraiX-

Wiggum2007 said:
Did everyone else have (ending spoilers)
a big thunderstorm at the end when the army came for you? Or did I just get lucky enough for that to happen? Because it was epic.

That sounds epic indeed, especially if it was your first time playing through the ending. I wasn't lucky enough to have that. :(

Fuu said:
Yep, all the subtlety was great. Pretty sweet how an optional side mission can mean so much when all is said and done.

Yeah and i missed the whole quest :D I wonder
if it can be played as Jack now and what will the dialogue be like.

Hey guys I'm "post-game" right now and I need to complete the California Stranger mission, but it just won't pop for me. Is this a known issue because I checked the strategy guide to see where the guy would be, but no luck. Do I have to be there at a certain time of day or what?

bunbun777

I saw two posts complaining about free aim in mp matches? whut?!

Aim for the head and take cover- that dance you see going on- that's because two players can't aim for shit and are overexcited- fun I admit but no way to judge a gamemode.

-edit- sorry but i can't help it- get use to switching weapons on the fly- go to the shotty up close than headshots are not as important. And do not sprint unless required, you show up on the map. That goes for shooting too. Find a rooftop and watch your kills go up. Use deadeye after 3 kills for midrange/long distance shots-

There's a player named Wingnut(something#) in the top 100 hardcore rankings. I call him crazy knife guy.

bunbun777 said:
I saw two posts complaining about free aim in mp matches? whut?!

Aim for the head and take cover- that dance you see going on- that's because two players can't aim for shit and are overexcited- fun I admit but no way to judge a gamemode.

It still doesn't feel as good as something like Uncharted 2 though which is exactly what they should've modeled it after. Hell, every third person game that involves a shooting, a cover mechanic, and a jump button should be modeled after Uncharted 2's feel. Although it's 100x more fun than having lock on in multplayer, it just doesn't feel "right" y'know? I prefer Free Roam by a lot which is why I'd like to see the majority of DLC focus on that, and singleplayer more than competitive multiplayer.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Jesus, this game is awesome. The atmosphere is just spot on, I did the
Poppycock mission last night and I decided to just ride to the various mission-locations, soak in the atmosphere and do random events along the way. Defended a stagecoach, plucked some flowers, took out 2 horsethieves, found three treasures and ran into the flying machine-guy along the way.

I haven't enjoyed just wandering this much since Vice City. Seriously, give the GTA-franchise to San Diego, let R* North suck up on Midnight Club for a while.

bunbun777

Net_Wrecker said:
It still doesn't feel as good as something like Uncharted 2 though which is exactly what they should've modeled it after. Hell, every third person game that involves a shooting, a cover mechanic, and a jump button should be modeled after Uncharted 2's feel. Although it's 100x more fun than having lock on in multplayer, it just doesn't feel "right" y'know? I prefer Free Roam by a lot which is why I'd like to see the majority of DLC focus on that, and singleplayer more than competitive multiplayer.

Yea, I was thinking of Uncharted2- there is none finer- except the weapon selection imo is more meaty in RDR. Instead of grenades... you get dynamite with a fuse, or fire lol. No auto weapons, but if you actually hammer the fire trigger you can shoot like crazy- everything is a bit more clumsy, but you get 16 players freeforall or 8vs8 with horses too. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, I just think there are a lot of aspects to be appreciated in RDR MP that seem to get outshadowed by it not being....perfect (I was going to say UC2 lol)

bunbun777 said:
Yea, I was thinking of Uncharted2- there is none finer- except the weapon selection imo is more meaty in RDR. Instead of grenades... you get dynamite with a fuse, or fire lol. No auto weapons, but if you actually hammer the fire trigger you can shoot like crazy- everything is a bit more clumsy, but you get 16 players freeforall or 8vs8 with horses too. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, I just think there are a lot of aspects to be appreciated in RDR MP that seem to get outshadowed by it not being....perfect (I was going to say UC2 lol)

I'm not trying to make it sound horrible because it's really not, but Uncharted 2 is the epitome so far for athletic feeling characters that shoot from the 3rd person perspective, and I think RDR should've tried more to feel like that game instead of a more responsive GTAIV. Seriously if RDR felt like U2, it would probably be my favorite multiplayer game ever.

Footos22

Credits are rolling. 100% complete. 98 hours. Game of the generation - and my personal favorite game of all.

98 hours! Really?!?! Did you walk everywhere or something
Jeeez

It took you exactly 3x longer to 100% and i only used fast travel once make me wonder what some of you actually do!

USF

Ok it's getting silly, why am I not having honor/fame points anymore?
I haven't seen the honor/fame bar for so many missions/strangers jobs done.

I'm still quarter way through the game & have paid all bounties.

SamuraiX-

De4th Strike said:
98 hours! Really?!?! Did you walk everywhere or something
Jeeez

It took you exactly 3x longer to 100% and i only used fast travel once make me wonder what some of you actually do!

60 hours for me... Used fast travel a bit in New Austin, but not at all for the rest of the game. Spent a lot of time screwing around with the mini-games, hunting, and just enjoying the environment overall. If I had anymore free time, I could have seen myself riding it out even longer and investing another +20 hours before reaching 100%. :lol

USF said:
Ok it's getting silly, why am I not having honor/fame points anymore?
I haven't seen the honor/fame bar for so many missions/strangers jobs done.

I'm still quarter way through the game & have paid all bounties.

You're probably maxed out on fame (no idea how) and honor already? How far are you exactly?

conman

Gah!

Just got to Mexico. I had been warned that the entrance music/song might not trigger if I did something wrong. First thing I did was get off my horse to loot a body. Just as the song was beginning, it faded out. That sucks.

Top Bottom