• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

conman said:
Gah!

Just got to Mexico. I had been warned that the entrance music/song might not trigger if I did something wrong. First thing I did was get off my horse to loot a body. Just as the song was beginning, it faded out. That sucks.

I'm really surprised so many people got off of their horse to do something other than save at the first available safehouse which is what it seemed like Rockstar was anticipating. The ride to that first house matched up almost perfectly with the song.

finally beat the game, easily one of the best i played in years

i've been following this thread through, and though i never got spoiled, i'd noticed a lot of spoilered discussion about the ending.

knowing that the game had a discussion-worthy ending, was i the only one who thought the ending was going to be:

John didn't actually kill Dutch. That whole scene on the mountain cliff was so oddly done, you don't see John shoot him... just a quick cut to a black screen, a BANG, and Dutch is suddenly holding his stomach.

After going back to your ranch, which inexplicably had been on the game map the whole time even though you could never save there or anything, you start living the family life you always wanted.

In addition to this, you were entering Blackwater on a ferry, seemingly as a stranger to the area. IIRC, the agents had to tell John where to go on the train.

What I had assumed would happen was that, after completing your family based missions, it would've been revealed that they were all in John's head/afterlife. That he had imagined that (portion of his) life after his death (at the hands of Dutch).

Was surprised when that turned out to not be the case.

Klocker

SamuraiX- said:
60 hours for me... Used fast travel a bit in New Austin, but not at all for the rest of the game. Spent a lot of time screwing around with the mini-games, hunting, and just enjoying the environment overall. If I had anymore free time, I could have seen myself riding it out even longer and investing another +20 hours before reaching 100%. :lol

do you have any desire to keep enjoying the world now? or is 100% the shelve it moment?

Dead Man

Net_Wrecker said:
I'm really surprised so many people got off of their horse to do something other than save at the first available safehouse which is what it seemed like Rockstar was anticipating. The ride to that first house matched up almost perfectly with the song.
I think most people, me included, loot the bodies. That becomes an ingrained behaviour pretty quickly, so Rockstar really should have anticipated that.

Ok so I just got to the point after you
witness Dutch's suicide go back to the farm

I even got the sharpshooter 10 challenge totally by accident.

Problem is, I still haven't met all strangers (12 met), including the "I know you" one and I've no fucking clue if and where they might show up.

Also, my fame is now maxed and I haven't gotten the $5000 bounty trophy. Should I reload an old save and do that before maxing out my fame (hence having to the sharpshooter 10 again...) or is it doable even with half bounties ?

Can I still find the "I know you" stranger although I got back to the ranch ?

I might have a clue about the ending but I've yet to get there so please don't spoil it...

De4th Strike said:
98 hours! Really?!?! Did you walk everywhere or something
Jeeez

It took you exactly 3x longer to 100% and i only used fast travel once make me wonder what some of you actually do!
I took my time. I never used fast travel once.

bryehn said:
About 8 hours/18% in now. I absolutely love this game.

Is there a completion checklist? I'm totally going for 100%

If you sign up to the rockstar social club they have a 100% checklist that updates as your playing, its a bit buggy tho and behind sometimes.

kyo_daikun said:
If you sign up to the rockstar social club they have a 100% checklist that updates as your playing, its a bit buggy tho and behind sometimes.

I've just been checking mine out, it's pretty cool. I wish more games did this.

Solo

Wiggum2007 said:
What'd you think of the I Know You stranger quest and
the way it tied into the ending? I really liked the character of the Strange Man and his ambiguous nature as satan/angel of death/divine or what have you. The last encounter with him was chilling, especially looking back on it after the end of the game.

That was great. I took The Stranger as being the
Grim Reaper. He had a spot lined up for John, and was just waiting for the time.

Klocker

question about an achievement and how it affects the game
Manifest Destiny, "you have killed the last buffalo". Is that it? no more? extinct? or respawn in a few days?
?

thx :D

Solo

I have 1.6% left. 11 bounties, and the US Marshall outfit. The bounties are no sweat, but question about the US Marshall outfit: what is the ratio of game time: real world time? I want to know how easy/hard clearing out all 7 gang hideouts in 24 GAME hours will be.

StuBurns

Banned
Just fired it up (PS3 version). Just did a couple of missions. It's very cool so far. Pressing L2 and pulling a gun when I meant to break was annoying, but my fault no doubt. I'll get use to it. It's very good looking to, I'm pretty impressed so far.

Definity

Solo said:
I have 1.6% left. 11 bounties, and the US Marshall outfit. The bounties are no sweat, but question about the US Marshall outfit: what is the ratio of game time: real world time? I want to know how easy/hard clearing out all 7 gang hideouts in 24 GAME hours will be.

For that outfit you only need to clear the US based hideouts and I did that in about 25 minutes without fast travel. I don't know how long the day/night cycle is but you should get the outfit without much trouble.

Solo

Definity said:
For that outfit you only need to clear the US based hideouts and I did that in about 25 minutes without fast travel. I don't know how long the day/night cycle is but you should get the outfit without much trouble.

Thanks, man. I was planning to head down to Mexico too - trip saved!

Klocker said:
question about an achievement and how it affects the game
Manifest Destiny, "you have killed the last buffalo". Is that it? no more? extinct? or respawn in a few days?
?

thx :D

Explanation
They respawn. The trophy requires that you massacre the entire herd (on Great Plains) in one go. I got the trophy and they respawned for me.
:D

Definity said:

It's really easy. Just don't die, you'll lose precious time.

MNC

Some more questions regarding multiplayer... (I really want to know every aspect of it :lol)

Can you get killed in freeroam by another player even if you don't want to get into a fight? Or does it only work when you start to get a bounty on your head?

Does anything carry over from single to multi and vice versa? What about outfitting? Do you have to raise stats in multiplayer/find loot? Do you keep it in multiplayer or do you have to refind stuff every time?

Hyphen

A query -

I'm about 60-70% complete, and I've just finished the last mission in
Meixo and have now been told to go to Blackwater. However, there's a town called in Mexico called Escudera (or something like that) where I needed to purchase a scrap of clothing from the general store in order to complete one of the outfits. However, it's as if the store has now disappeared. It's still there on the big map, but when I get there, it's not on the in-game mini-map, and there's only a few people wandering around the place. Is it now not possible to purchase anything from there, or does it show up again later?

Many thanks...

Net_Wrecker said:
...every third person game that involves a shooting, a cover mechanic, and a jump button should be modeled after Uncharted 2's feel...

Totally agree. Naughty Dog nailed it for me.

Dave1988

Hyphen said:
A query -

Meixo and have now been told to go to Blackwater. However, there's a town called in Mexico called Escudera (or something like that) where I needed to purchase a scrap of clothing from the general store in order to complete one of the outfits. However, it's as if the store has now disappeared. It's still there on the big map, but when I get there, it's not on the in-game mini-map, and there's only a few people wandering around the place. Is it now not possible to purchase anything from there, or does it show up again later?

Many thanks...

Wait five days. The shopkeeper will return.

Dead Man

Hyphen said:
A query -

Many thanks...
Everyone should respawn after a few ingame days. I think they just do it to show the effects of the battle.

SpokkX

I completed the game yesterday. Did a fair share of the stranger stuff etc also

Totally disappointed.

This really is GTA in the Wild West :(

Or GTA "light" in the WW since the variery of different vehicles is far less here and makes the gameplay that much more repetative. Where is the freedom they talked about? There is never really a choice. All missions play out like scripted events with "failure" as soon as try something else.

Also the characters are (annoying) parodies so I found it hard to really take the story seriously.

Behind the nice grahics and cool environments it is a REALLY shallow game ("hunting" = I might as well "hunt" pigeons in GTA since the challenge is nonexistent). I cannot really understand the praise the game has gotten... Kind of reminds me of Assassins Creed

Hyphen

Dave1988 said:
Wait five days. The shopkeeper will return.

Phew, I thought I'd encountered a bug that couldn't be fixed. Thanks alot.

Dead Man said:
Everyone should respawn after a few ingame days. I think they just do it to show the effects of the battle.

Oh yeah, that would make sense. Didn't really think about that. Thank you.

Dead Man

SpokkX said:

Totally disappointed.

Or GTA "light" in the WW since the variery of different vehicles is far less here and makes the gameplay that much more repetative. Where is the freedom they talked about? There is never really a choice. All missions play out like scripted events with "failure" as soon as try something else.

Also the characters are (annoying) parodies so I found it hard to really take the story seriously.

Behind the nice grahics and cool environments it is a REALLY shallow game ("hunting" = I might as well "hunt" pigeons in GTA since the challenge is nonexistent). I cannot really understand the praise the game has gotten... Kind of reminds me of Assassins Creed
I.... umm... have you... what about...

Nope, I guess the game is just not for you. But why should the number of vehicles be a negative? What did you expect?

soultron

Banned
SpokkX said:
Wahmbulamps
Your enjoyment of this game is directly tied to how much of a fan of (Spaghetti or otherwise) Western films you are. I don't even refer to it as Red Dead Redemption, I simply say, "Yeah, I'm just playing Clint Eastwood: The Game."

SpokkX said:

Totally disappointed.

I agree with you, regarding this game and Assassins Creed. Although I have fun with the game there isn't a lot of fun stuff to do and the missions are dull and repetitive.

SpokkX

soultron said:
Your enjoyment of this game is directly tied to how much of a fan of (Spaghetti or otherwise) Western films. I don't even refer to it as Red Dead Redemption, I simply say, "Yeah, I'm just playing Clint Eastwood: The Game."

Do you mean if one likes Western movies you would not like this game?

Because i absolutely LOVE western and have seen all Clint Eastwoods classics at least 10 times each.

If I had not been a fan of western I would probably have liked it better actually. This game is just bad as a western. The characters seemed like they came out of GTA Vice City and the story is just an excuse to shoot stuff.

The ending was ok but the rest... just awful

taoofjord

Pandoracell said:
Yes! I'm finally out of Mexico!

Ultimately didn't like it, felt like I was just sidetracked from the main story for 1/3 to 1/2 the game. Williamson and the other guy felt like afterthoughts tacked onto the end of the Mexico storyline. The area also suffers from "Rockstar mid-story fatigue", where it felt like I was aimlessly going around doing random missions for people for no reason.

Does Landon Rickets show up again?

I half-agree. I would have liked them to do more with mexico. However, I believe it was intentional on Rockstar's part to not focus on marston hunting down his gang members.
In the end, they don't really matter, because the story is about Marston's redemption. Looking back, I like how the gang members almost seem faceless and unimportant.

And regarding the mexico storyline, it was VERY Leone-esque. Marston didn't care about the revolution, so we don't see the real meat of it in the game.

Solo

soultron said:
Your enjoyment of this game is directly tied to how much of a fan of (Spaghetti or otherwise) Western films. I don't even refer to it as Red Dead Redemption, I simply say, "Yeah, I'm just playing Clint Eastwood: The Game."

It really isn't though. Yes, I am a huge western fan, but only once or twice during the whole game was I thinking "oh man, this is an awesome riff on Western X" (mostly during the
The Hanging of Bonnie MacFarlane mission
). The rest of the time it was "this game is fucking awesome". It stands on its own merits.

Subjectively, from a western film fan, the game is amazing.
Objectively, the game is awesome.

soultron

Banned
SpokkX said:
Do you mean if one likes Western movies you would not like this game?

Because i absolutely LOVE western and have seen all Clint Eastwoods classics at least 10 times each.

If I had not been a fan of western I would probably have liked it better actually. This game is just bad as a western. The characters seemed like they came out of GTA Vice City and the story is just an excuse to shoot stuff.

The ending was ok but the rest... just awful
All I can say is changing your outfit to the Mexican Poncho makes the game so much more enjoyable.

Sanic

Looting bodies appears to be unnecessary, at least for me. I always have enough ammo and money. I did it towards the beginning of the game, but the unskippable looting animation started to bother me so I haven't done it since.

Totally disappointed.

That's true, as far as the "GTA in the west" is concerned. The mission designs are ripped straight from past GTAs, and a lot of the core game elements are as well. And I did not at all like GTA IV, but for me the story, plus many of the game elements outside of the main storyline, kept me going (in RDR, that is). But even then, i'm not going to get anywhere near 100%. I'll finish up a few easy achievements and shelf it.

taoofjord

disappeared said:
Yep. It did practically everything right.

Except the enemy AI could use a boost to make it move around more, be more aggressive, flank you more often, and try to flush you out with fire bottls and dynamite. I'd like the sequel to have fights that felt more tactical and less like a shooting gallery.

Well GAF I just have FFA, 500 Canon kill, and max multi. rank achievements to go. This will most likely be my first S-rank/completed game. How long do you think it will take to max out my multi. rank?

Footos22

UnluckyKate said:
It's really easy. Just don't die, you'll lose precious time.

I died twice cos of idiotic controller spaz and still did it well well before the time limit.
you can ignore solomans folly that doesnt count.

You basically get an hour and a half, dont fast travel as that wastes way more time

The_Inquisitor said:
Well GAF I just have FFA, 500 Canon kill, and max multi. rank achievements to go. This will most likely be my first S-rank/completed game. How long do you think it will take to max out my multi. rank?

If you're on PS3 just grind Solomons Folly over and over in private free roam. If you rack up the 30 killstreak you get about 2300-2500 xp in 1:30-2 min. Took me about 2 days with 3-4 hour sessions per day.

There's also a glitch in solomons folly which makes the enemies not shoot back at you, making grinding even easier if you really want to. I didn't do it this way and it still took me 2 days to get Bonzo (lvl 50), so yeah. I'm waiting for the Co-op to play with friends. Only online trophy I still need is Posse-up, already got the rest of the online ones. I learned from GTA IV to get these out of the way first :lol

soultron said:
Your enjoyment of this game is directly tied to how much of a fan of (Spaghetti or otherwise) Western films you are. I don't even refer to it as Red Dead Redemption, I simply say, "Yeah, I'm just playing Clint Eastwood: The Game."

I like Westerns a bit (though OUATitW and TGTBaTU I thought were way too fucking long) but not all that much. I fucking love this game.

Oni Jazar

MNC said:
Some more questions regarding multiplayer... (I really want to know every aspect of it :lol)

Can you get killed in freeroam by another player even if you don't want to get into a fight? Or does it only work when you start to get a bounty on your head?

Does anything carry over from single to multi and vice versa? What about outfitting? Do you have to raise stats in multiplayer/find loot? Do you keep it in multiplayer or do you have to refind stuff every time?

1) Yes you can get killed by another player in free roam even if you don't want to fight. It's the wild west and you're never safe. You can run away without too much difficulty unless someone specifically has it in to kill you. Just whistle for your horse and ride away from everyone. A Bounty just puts a big fat target on the map for everyone to come after you.

2) Single player and multiplayer are complely seperate, no rewards/levels/costumes are shared.

3) The leveling system in mulltiplayer is achieved by completing challenges, killing players, or winning matches. As you gain levels rewards are unlocked such as new characters to select, new titles for your name, new weapons, new game modes, new challenges. The changes are permanent.

Actually, when you kill a player with a bounty in free roam, you get 200 XP, as opposed to 10. So players are encouraged to come get bounty man.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Phew, thank god. I finally 100%:ed this game twice so I'm sure I can finally say what I like and don't like in this game.

+ In-game graphics
+ Sound overall
+ Second half of the games' story

- Cutscene graphics
- First half of the games' story
- Online is horrid

Also,
Bonnie
should've had a bigger role in the game.

Goldrusher

lherre said:
Yesterday I have this funny bug

<snip>
Dude, resize your pics. And don't use slow-ass Imageshack. In fact, using Imageshack is a bannable offense.

Speaking of which, a big fuck you to the idiot who posted a huge spoiler on the previous page. Thanks to duckroll for editing his post, but if it was me, he'd be banned until the release of the sequel.

Oni Jazar

Yoshichan said:
- Online is horrid

To offer an alternative viewpoint I think the online is pretty well done. If nothing else it gives you the opportunity to get some friends together and take down gang hideouts co-operatively. Aside from that I've had fun with the expert team deathmatch modes. It really makes me feel like a kid playing cowboys. There's definitely room for improvement but I wouldn't call it horrid.

Solo

One thing I really loved in this game was the eyes. I think this is the first game so far that people's eyes seem real, and that there was actually something behind them.

Wiggum2007

Solo said:
That was great. I took The Stranger as being the
Grim Reaper. He had a spot lined up for John, and was just waiting for the time.

Yeah I liked his line
"I guess you could say I'm an accountant... of sorts."

Mike Works said:
John didn't actually kill Dutch. That whole scene on the mountain cliff was so oddly done, you don't see John shoot him... just a quick cut to a black screen, a BANG, and Dutch is suddenly holding his stomach.

Wait what? Are you sure you're remembering right? At that point
John confronts him and after his speech he jumps off the cliff and kills himself. Pretty sure he was just holding his stomach from getting hurt during the fire or chase. He didn't have any of John's bullets in him until Ross shot his corpse with John's gun.
Or am I reading it wrong and this is just how you thought it should've ended?

Tip for online, if you're a newcomer:

Entering a publc Free Roam at level one, you're gonna get mauled by roving gangs of no-accounts looking to grief and spawn-kill you endlessly. You start off with a plinker cattleman revolver, a slow-ass donkey to ride, and that's it. Go into a private Free Roam and do a few solo gang hideouts to level yourself up first. You can do it pretty fast by repeating the Twin Rocks hideout a few times - it's the smallest and easiest of the gang hideouts. You'll unlock a better, faster mount fairly soon, and each gang hideout has more powerful weapons you can pick up and carry over into the public Free Roam (some are hidden in crates, look for the little flashing arrow on your map), and you'll be better prepared to defend yourself against the bullies.

For single player, be sure and look at all the headstones in the various cemeteries. Most of them are pretty funny. That MacFarlane family had a pretty rough past :lol

Top Bottom