• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Fantasmo

Will never happen because most people like to pick up play and it would take a ton more work, but I would love to see a game exactly like this, with a ton more conversation and adventure game elements and make things more interactive, like old Lucasfilm or Sierra games, like a Quest for Glory: So You Want to be a Hero? in the Wild West, but keeping all the rest of the game elements exactly the same.

Those old games had some really cool mini and major plotlines that were awesome to be a part of from beginning to end.

Yea, I know I'm dreaming but it would be my game of the forever :D

Beaulieu

Im playing Alan Wake and Metro 2033 these days, and it just reinforces how fuckin bad red dead's story and narrative sucks. God damn I can't beleive some of you are calling this GOTY.

GTA 4 was better.

Beaulieu said:
Im playing Alan Wake and Metro 2033 these days, and it just reinforces how fuckin bad red dead's story and narrative sucks. God damn I can't beleive some of you are calling this GOTY.

GTA 4 was better.

Wow, how wrong can someone seriosuly be? :lol

Vizionblind

Neo Member
Beaulieu said:

GTA 4 was better.
GTA4 sucked

Oni Jazar

Beaulieu said:

I've been switching between RDR and Alan Wake and I couldn't disagree more. Alan Wake feels like it was written by a junior high kid and narrated by his dad. I'm done with AW halfway through chapter 3.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Oni Jazar said:
I've been switching between RDR and Alan Wake and I couldn't disagree more. Alan Wake feels like it was written by a junior high kid and narrated by his dad.

that makes it sound heartwarming

Denzar

Not being able to change clothes before the final mission is fucking stupid.

Endgame spoilers:
C'mon, I want to play as John and not as Jack and save the final mission untill I have done everything I can, but I can't change clothes? What horseshit!

Vinci

Danish
Could someone tell me the Display changes people have developed for improving the look of the PS3 version? I'd appreciate not having to dig through a 158 page thread.

Beaulieu

Deepack said:

Endgame spoilers:
C'mon, I want to play as John and not as Jack and save the final mission untill I have done everything I can, but I can't change clothes? What horseshit!

What do you mean ? You can change clothes at any point in the game.

Leunam

Vinci said:
Could someone tell me the Display changes people have developed for improving the look of the PS3 version? I'd appreciate not having to dig through a 158 page thread.

I upped the contrast and saturation up 2 ticks.

BeeDog

Deepack said:
I can't. I've tried everywhere.

The only remaining mission is the last one.

Yeah, it sucks. After John returns to his family, he can only wear that particular outfit until... well, you know.

Deepack said:

Endgame spoilers:

You are not emotionally connected to John i see :D
At that point you/him abandon all the outlaw stuff and concentrate on building a new life, no more dusters for you mr.rancher!

Guevara

Finished the game!

I'm a little distraught at having the clean up the side missions, etc.
playing as Jack instead of John
in my quest for 100%.

Also does anyone have a nice image of
Jack after he kills Edgar, you know, the bright red background with "Red Dead Redemption" right before the credits,
that was awesome.:lol

oatmeal

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
I've been switching between RDR and Alan Wake and I couldn't disagree more. Alan Wake feels like it was written by a junior high kid and narrated by his dad. I'm done with AW halfway through chapter 3.

I'll buy it from you :D

There should be an achievement/trophy for running over an NPC being dragged behind another NPC's horse at high speed. Dude came around the bend with this poor sap being dragged behind, and my horse just runs them the hell over. :lol Guy's only gonna get half the bounty now.

Denzar

Noisepurge said:
You are not emotionally connected to John i see :D
At that point you/him abandon all the outlaw stuff and concentrate on building a new life, no more dusters for you mr.rancher!

Oh but I am sir!

It's because I am not emotionally connected to Jack that I want to play as John as much as I can

Prophet Steve said:
Set up a camp, and then with X you can change outfits, also it's possible in your houses.

I'm at the very end of the game. Would be kind of silly if I hadn't figured that out yet. :D

Deepack said:
Oh but I am sir!

It's because I am not emotionally connected to Jack that I want to play as John as much as I can

I'm at the very end of the game. Would be kind of silly if I hadn't figured that out yet. :D

Yeah you're locked into the Rancher outfit until something something...

But you can change clothes afterward. They axed the original cowboy outfit but the Bollard Twins outfit looks near identical.

Sanic

Just finished it.

The final act felt a bit oddly paced. The whole back and forth with Dutch felt off, it seemed like everyone was just screwing around instead of just straight up going after him. I'm oversimplifying the scenario, I know, but in a sense, that's what it seemed like. West Elizabeth as a whole felt a little underused.

I was a tad underwhelmed with the ending from a plot standpoint, but I may have been hyping myself up too much for it after reading everything everyone was saying here. The finale was too...predictable, and I wish the game would have alluded in detail as to why exactly the government came after John. This may have been mentioned in the game, maybe I missed it.

They could have cut down the number of Marston Ranch missions as well. I got the idea of what they were trying to do well before they ended. No need to go waste ten minutes herding cattle, which I hated doing.

Mexico still feels like the odd man out. I stand by what I said earlier with regard to the ending of Mexico. Williamson and Escuela ultimately 'don't matter' I suppose, but their demise/overall place in the plot felt rushed and tacked on.

Fun game overall, though I wouldn't say it was incredible or even GOTY material. i'll put a few hours into MP now.

Solo

Pandoracell said:
Just finished it.

I was a tad underwhelmed with the ending from a plot standpoint, but I may have been hyping myself up too much for it after reading everything everyone was saying here. The finale was too...predictable, and I wish the game would have alluded in detail as to why exactly the government came after John. This may have been mentioned in the game, maybe I missed it.

The gist of it was that when there were no more "evil men" left for the government to pursue, they would create one.

Lunchbox

Banned
Beaulieu said:

GTA 4 was better.

red deads story was weak. but it was way more fun to play

Story/characters = gta
gameplay = reddead

and you cant compare it to a game like alan wake which is set up to create a atmosphere and guide you through its narrative

KingOfSoap said:
Everybody is soo excited about this game but I played it for a while and its quite boring, just like the start of every GTA. I

Can't say I'd apply boring to the game at all, but I'll tell you to stick with it. Easily one of the best gaming experiences I've had in 20+ years of playing these wacky tapes.

CAW

KingOfSoap said:
Everybody is soo excited about this game but I played it for a while and its quite boring, just like the start of every GTA. I
Curious. What would you consider an exciting game if RDR is boring?

Sanic

Solo said:
The gist of it was that when there were no more "evil men" left for the government to pursue, they would create one.

Yeah, I figured that much,
I was just curious as to the EXACT, actual reason they came after him was. Not much to complain about, I realize. Just I wanting to know more of the world. A bit more of a setup to that final encounter would have been nice.

And thinking back on it, when that final mission started, John was talking as if he expected this day to come, yet nothing of the sort was ever implied during the earlier ranch missions. He seemed to think he was going to live out the remainder of his days peacefully on his farm. Unless of course he didn't want to be too negative around his family, so he was hiding it.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Pandoracell said:
I was just curious as to the EXACT, actual reason they came after him was. Not much to complain about, I realize. Just I wanting to know more of the world. A bit more of a setup to that final encounter would have been nice.

And thinking back on it, when that final mission started, John was talking as if he expected this day to come, yet nothing of the sort was ever implied during the earlier ranch missions. He seemed to think he was going to live out the remainder of his days peacefully on his farm. Unless of course he didn't want to be too negative around his family, so he was hiding it.

I think it was implied when John was talking to Dutch. During the ranch missions, it felt like John felt like he was at peace and being naive that the government wouldn't attack him. I felt that the reason he was attacked was because Edgar Ross wanted more fame for his work, but that's how I interpreted it.

Pandoracell said:

I have to give major props to the writing staff, if only because they didn't hold the player's hand in regards to narrative. John's had a bloody history of violence, and the writer's leave it up to the player to realize, "okay, this guy's fucked a lot of people up and now the government is using him." It doesn't gloss-over any unnecessary details like extensive backstory or other useless tidbits we'd forget by the time the credits rolled. The guys at Rockstar basically dropped us into the life of John Marsten exactly where the events pick up. There's some wiggle-room for interpretation.

Endgame outfit question:

I'm near the end of the game I think,
but it's really weird. I've already saved my wife and kid and now I'm doing rancher missions and I'm stuck wearing the rancher outfit. I thought the game would be over once I rescue them, but I assume the Governor probably decides he wants to take down Marston as well...but my question isn't about the story. Without spoiling anything, can somebody let me know whether I'll ever be able to change back to my preferred outfit and finish the sidequests, OR am I already locked into a "point of no return" where I will have to finish the main story and not be able to go back to wearing what I want to wear?

Solo

You cant change it again until you finish the game.

Pandoracell said:

Well, it was also about
the past coming back to haunt you. No matter what kind of man Marston is now, it doesnt erase the man he used to be. In that light, he got what was coming to him.

TheUsual

Gold Member
disappeared said:
I have to give major props to the writing staff, if only because they didn't hold the player's hand in regards to narrative. John's had a bloody history of violence, and the writer's leave it up to the player to realize, "okay, this guy's fucked a lot of people up and now the government is using him." It doesn't gloss-over any unnecessary details like extensive backstory or other useless tidbits we'd forget by the time the credits rolled. The guys at Rockstar basically dropped us into the life of John Marsten exactly where the events pick up. There's some wiggle-room for interpretation.

Agree with it. The player is meant to try to guess what horrible things John did in his past. I liked not knowing what John did exactly. It makes it so that the player can sympathize easier with John and help him trying to atone with what he has done.

KingOfSoap

Neo Member
disappeared said:
Can't say I'd apply boring to the game at all, but I'll tell you to stick with it. Easily one of the best gaming experiences I've had in 20+ years of playing these wacky tapes.

Will do that. I prolly gets better on the long run.

CAW said:
Curious. What would you consider an exciting game if RDR is boring?

Any game I played in the last 2 years wasn't as mindnumbling as the first hour of RDR. For Xbox 360 is that Mirror's Edge, GTA 4, Skate 2, Prototype, COD 4, COD 6.

TheUsual said:
Agree with it. The player is meant to try to guess what horrible things John did in his past. I liked not knowing what John did exactly. It makes it so that the player can sympathize easier with John and help him trying to atone with what he has done.
They basically said the gang robbed a lot of banks but killed a lot of men in the process. Fortunately they gave some of the stolen money to poor people, a la Robin Hood.

TheUsual

Gold Member
The Lamonster said:
Endgame outfit question:

I'm near the end of the game I think,
but it's really weird. I've already saved my wife and kid and now I'm doing rancher missions and I'm stuck wearing the rancher outfit. I thought the game would be over once I rescue them, but I assume the Governor probably decides he wants to take down Marston as well...but my question isn't about the story. Without spoiling anything, can somebody let me know whether I'll ever be able to change back to my preferred outfit and finish the sidequests, OR am I already locked into a "point of no return" where I will have to finish the main story and not be able to go back to wearing what I want to wear?

You will.
Once you are done with the ranch missions. You are locked with that outfit until the Abigal, Jack, and Uncle missions are done.

TheUsual said:
You will.
Once you are done with the ranch missions. You are locked with that outfit until the Abigal, Jack, and Uncle missions are done.
Thanks, that puts me at ease a little bit. I only care because I JUST unlocked the Legend of the West outfit.

TheUsual

Gold Member
The Lamonster said:
They basically said the gang robbed a lot of banks but killed a lot of men in the process. Fortunately they gave some of the stolen money to poor people, a la Robin Hood.

I can't point exactly where in the game this happened or if it was just my interpretation, but it seemed implied that the gang did far worse acts than that.

Sanic

Solo said:
Well, it was also about
the past coming back to haunt you. No matter what kind of man Marston is now, it doesnt erase the man he used to be. In that light, he got what was coming to him.

TheUsual said:
I think it was implied when John was talking to Dutch. During the ranch missions, it felt like John felt like he was at peace and being naive that the government wouldn't attack him. I felt that the reason he was attacked was because Edgar Ross wanted more fame for his work, but that's how I interpreted it.

disappeared said:

These are all great points. I think i'm going to reflect on the narrative a bit more and do some reading. Immediate, knee-jerk reactions do not always produce the best analysis :).

IronRinn

Solo said:
Well, it was also about the past coming back to haunt you. No matter what kind of man Marston is now, it doesnt erase the man he used to be. In that light, he got what was coming to him.

The Usual said:

disappeared said:

Pandoracell said:
These are all great points. I think i'm going to reflect on the narrative a bit more and do some reading. Immediate, knee-jerk reactions do not always produce the best analysis :).

I think it just kept with the character of Ross in general. For all his talk of upholding the law of the land he repeatedly shows unscrupulous tendencies in doing his job. One could logically suppose that Ross never had any intention of letting John redeem himself in such a way and was planning on having him killed from the outset. It also works well with the theme of the entire game, e.g one's past dictating one's end. Despite being on the side of law and order Ross' actions still brings him to an equally violent and bloody end and it would seem as though the implication is that the cycle shall continue with Jack.

Come to think of it, I think part of what contributed to me reacting so strongly to his character was the "unnecessary" speech he gives to John in his office. It just reeked of the kind of hypocrisy that only the self-righteous can display.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Does anyone know if you replay a mission, if you are given a set of weapons and outfit for that part or are you equipped with what you currently have?

IronRinn

TheUsual said:
Does anyone know if you replay a mission, if you are given a set of weapons and outfit for that part or are you equipped with what you currently have?

You can replay any mission by going into the Stats option in the menu and selecting Missions. You don't keep what you're currently equipped with. I replayed an early Armadillo mission and was back to my Cattleman Revolver and not much else.

Speaking of the missions and their medals, is it worth going back to try and get golds? I ask because there ain't a single gold on my list. Couple silvers and a shitload of bronzes.

TheUsual

Gold Member
disappeared said:
Speaking of the missions and their medals, is it worth going back to try and get golds? I ask because there ain't a single gold on my list. Couple silvers and a shitload of bronzes.

Yeah, I would like to know too. The only reason I would is to get the achievement for a gold medal, but that's just about it. Maybe Rockstar will use that info for Social Club events.

Ponn

Banned
WTF at that ending.

I really enjoyed this game. Really, really really. In fact I was prepared to play after the endgame to complete strangers and challenges. Problem is I hate jack. I thought he was a doucebag kid and then I have to play him at the end? The only enjoyment I got out of him and his doucebag facial hair and whiny voice was turning him into an emo kid getting revenge on the people in Blackwater for killing his father and shooting everyone. Seriously, they should have an option for you to ditch the bitchy ass homely wife and your douchebag kid and run off to Mexico with Bonnie

Mr. Sam

Ponn01 said:
WTF at that ending.

I really enjoyed this game. Really, really really. In fact I was prepared to play after the endgame to complete strangers and challenges. Problem is I hate jack. I thought he was a doucebag kid and then I have to play him at the end? The only enjoyment I got out of him and his doucebag facial hair and whiny voice was turning him into an emo kid getting revenge on the people in Blackwater for killing his father and shooting everyone. Seriously, they should have an option for you to ditch the bitchy ass homely wife and your douchebag kid and run off to Mexico with Bonnie

You visit Blackwater Station yet?

I don't get the hate for that certain somebody. He's got a Billy the Kid style about him.

When approached by a mexican hooker, he had this to say:
"I'll pay for it when I'm older."
:lol

Top Bottom