• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Solo

GAF's GOTY poll should be fun this year :lol I mean, shit, its only June, and we've already had Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, God of War III, Alan Wake, and Red Dead Redemption. The first half of the year is usually shovelware :lol

Solo said:
GAF's GOTY poll should be fun this year :lol I mean, shit, its only June, and we've already had Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, God of War III, Alan Wake, and Red Dead Redemption. The first half of the year is usually shovelware :lol

Indeed.

Red Dead wins.

Solo said:
Add StarCraft II, Halo Reach, SMG2 etc...gonna be a tough choice this year.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Solo said:

Two of those is not like the others..

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
timkunedo said:
I had the ending spoiled for me this morning in a conversation. UGH!!! Do people not think before they speak???

That really sucks dude. Personally, I'd give the culprit a hearty spanking.

Frillen

Solo said:

And the insane thing is that you forgot the REAL GOTY. SMG2 :D

Solo said:

Um you left out both Bayonetta, and SMG2 which are both better than Bioshock 2, and for many, better than Alan Wake.

StuBurns

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Um you left out both Bayonetta, and SMG2 which are both better than Bioshock 2, and for many, better than Alan Wake.
Yep, so far (I'm only about three hours into RDR) Bayonetta is winning.

What really drives my appreciation for Redemption is that it has succeeded in a genre that most other developers have never touched. (Wild) Western games have more or less been non-existant, and for RDR to come out and say, "fuck you" to most other games in all other genres is mighty impressive.

I have to say the duel mechanic in this game blows. I preferred the way it was done in Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - much more tense, and more about who draws first (like it would have been in real life) than who fills some bullshit meter first.

Revolutionary said:
I have to say the duel mechanic in this game blows. I preferred the way it was done in Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - much more tense, and more about who draws first (like it would have been in real life) than who fills some bullshit meter first.
Agreed, I just don't ever accept duels.

The finer points of keeping rhythm yet going fast enough to beat the clock but not too fast as to stab yourself and the whatever the fuck it is "X" factor that figures in impressing the other guy makes Five Finger Fillet VERY frustrating.

Darkman M

I guess the next one will take place when the west was really wild, being this one was when the old west was coming to a end.

Been a few weeks now and all the hype has settled down, i can still say this is my goty thus far, doubt anything knocks it off.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Revolutionary said:

it's not bullshit, it's about getting enough accurate shots to key places (gun hand, head, heart, gut maybe). The accuracy is determined by your timing with the crosshairs turning white. A one shot win can happen with proper execution.

Wiggum2007 said:
Never played Call of Juarez, but I agree that the dueling mechanics need to be tweaked/changed for the (hopefully) inevitable next game. I don't like how I can very rarely kill my opponent with, say, one clean shot between the eyes. Instead, it has to be like 5 shots between the eyes. :lol And it doesn't make any logical sense either. Is the game telling me that one shot to the head isn't going to be enough to kill this fool?

that's where the white vs. red crosshair timing comes into play

Wiggum2007

Revolutionary said:

Never played Call of Juarez, but I agree that the dueling mechanics need to be tweaked/changed for the (hopefully) inevitable next game. I don't like how I can very rarely kill my opponent with, say, one clean shot between the eyes. Instead, it has to be like 5 shots between the eyes. :lol And it doesn't make any logical sense either. Is the game telling me that one shot to the head isn't going to be enough to kill this fool?

Solo

Net_Wrecker said:

It wasnt meant to be a comprehensive list :lol

For me, its

1. RDR
2. Alan Wake
3. Bioshock 2

So far. Havent played SMG2 (sold my Wii in 2007), God of War III (not interested) or Bayonetta (not interested), and Mass Effect 2 was a huge disappointment.

Oni Jazar

Revolutionary said:

Agreed. It's a damn shame because everything else is so damn good IMO.

UrbanRats

Ponn01 said:
WTF at that ending.

I really enjoyed this game. Really, really really. In fact I was prepared to play after the endgame to complete strangers and challenges. Problem is I hate jack. I thought he was a doucebag kid and then I have to play him at the end? The only enjoyment I got out of him and his doucebag facial hair and whiny voice was turning him into an emo kid getting revenge on the people in Blackwater for killing his father and shooting everyone. Seriously, they should have an option for you to ditch the bitchy ass homely wife and your douchebag kid and run off to Mexico with Bonnie
Abigail is hotter than Bonnie.

Sanic

Darkman M said:
I guess the next one will take place when the west was really wild. being this one was when the old west was coming to a end.

I actually hope it doesn't. I think the idea of a dying west can be explored further, with more interesting results.

levious said:
it's not bullshit, it's about getting enough accurate shots to key places (gun hand, head, heart, gut maybe). The accuracy is determined by your timing with the crosshairs turning white. A one shot win can happen with proper execution.
I know how it works - what I'm saying is that there's a better duel mechanic that was in a previously released game that Rockstar should have taken notes from. I thought they did, when the tutorial said that you could move your hand closer to the gun before it's time to draw, but that feature is pointless - all you're ever required to do is press L2 and then press R2 a few times on key body parts.

Here's a video of a Bound in Blood duel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4EUplMXTiM
Notice how he moves his hand closer to his gun, in preparation for the bell sounding. If you're not ready for that then odds are you'd get shot down before you even get your gun out.

Crazy thing happened last night. Went into Dead Eye, shot a dude in the leg, he falls and limps, still shooting me. I Dead Eye his other leg, and the fucker is on his knees firing a shotgun, one-handed, at me. I shoot him in the head and he bends over backwards as far as a human being can I suppose.

Solo

Says the guy who puts Mass Effect 2 as his GOTY. A game which literally leaves you at the exact same point the superior Mass Effect 1 did.

Lunchbox

Banned
Solo said:
Says the guy who puts Mass Effect 2 as his GOTY. A game which literally leaves you at the exact same point the superior Mass Effect 1 did.

mass effect 2 was an improvement from mass1 in everyway (maybe you didnt like the recruitment part but it was still great). mass effect 1 was unplayable for alot of people

bioshock2 is a multiplayer mod for the first game

Solo

Lunchbox said:
mass effect 2 was an improvement from mass1 in everyway. mass effect 1 was unplayable for alot of people

I count graphics and gunplay (which there was too much of an it got stale). ME1 had better music, a much better plot, was at least a quasi RPG, actually had a sense of exploration, mako > mining minigame bullshit, elevator > mission complete bullshit, the classes were better, the world was much larger (the citadel alone > any location in ME2), etc.

But this is the RDR thread, so thats the last of my other game praising/bashing :lol

Lunchbox

Banned
Solo said:
I count graphics and gunplay (which there was too much of an it got stale). ME1 had better music, a much better plot, was at least a quasi RPG, actually had a sense of exploration, mako > mining minigame bullshit, elevator > mission complete bullshit, the classes were better, the world was much larger (the citadel alone > any location in ME2), etc.

mako was terrible. removing that made the game better. but download the free firewalker dlc and you'll see the superior vehicle in mass2, plus the new way to acquire minerals where you drive around to gather them (hope they flesh that out in 3 and use it instead of mining)

me2 citadel was great, the market area had tons of people to talk to and it had different worlds each with new environments. like how the krogan world was broken war torn, the lab for subzero, talis people were drifters etc

AvidNobody said:
SMG2 and Mass Effect 2 will win all the awards.

Bayonetta is GOTY, with Red Dead right behind it.

^^^^^
THESE ARE FACTS

Fixed :D

Bayonetta and Red Dead Redemption are by far my favorite games this generation.

TheUsual said:
I can't point exactly where in the game this happened or if it was just my interpretation, but it seemed implied that the gang did far worse acts than that.

When he was talking to Bonnie, he mentioned that they (he and Dutch's gang) simply killed people they didn't like.

Personally, I'd have liked to have seen a little of that,
perhaps in quick flashback scenes as he confronted each gang member, or maybe even while he was dying. I wanted to feel a bit uneasy about liking Marston. Ross was such a clear cut "bad guy" as shown by his actions in the game, while they (to me) took the easy way out with John by having him mention his past bad deeds a couple of times and leaving it at that. I'd also have liked at least one of the feds to be sympathetic towards Marston, kept thinking Fordham might have had a change of heart later in the game, but they kept them all cartoon villains throughout.

Gileadxv

Banned
^Damn.

Have you finished or encountered Aztec Gold?

I'll have to look into that when I get off work tonight. I finished the treasure hunts as part of the Legend of the West challenges. You will have made my day if that turns out to be my missing half percent :D

Klocker

Wiggum2007 said:
Making fire bottles and dynamite into heat-seeking rockets via Deadeye never gets old. :lol

yea but you would need to be flying over the map to hit them all.
we can do that? :D

Top Bottom