• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Wiggum2007 said:
Wait what? Are you sure you're remembering right? At that point
John confronts him and after his speech he jumps off the cliff and kills himself. Pretty sure he was just holding his stomach from getting hurt during the fire or chase. He didn't have any of John's bullets in him until Ross shot his corpse with John's gun.
Or am I reading it wrong and this is just how you thought it should've ended?
Solo said:
No, you remember right. Mike was probably drunk.
I remember this happening right before
John confronts him on that cliff edge... just after you finish climbing I think the second ladder.

Duke was clearly holding his bloody stomach, and I don't remember him getting shot once in the fight. The only thing I did was shoot that lamp next to him.

I want to play that mission again now to see if it's there.

SamuraiX-

disappeared said:
^

That scene with Ross
shooting Dutch needlessly
really pissed me off. I actually felt bad after.

Honestly, after Dutch shot that girl in the head at the bank needlessly, he deserved a much more gruesome death than he got. I understand there was history between him and John, but that was seriously fucked up.

99.5% here and stuck.

I've done so many bounties, I'm having " ? " bounties everywhere across the map.

According to the Social Club Check List, I'm missing one location. Anyone have a complete list of bounties location so I can find the one I'm missing ?

Anything else I missed to grind up to 100% ? I'm really running out of idea here.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
UnluckyKate said:
99.5% here and stuck.

I've done so many bounties, I'm having " ? " bounties everywhere across the map.

According to the Social Club Check List, I'm missing one location. Anyone have a complete list of bounties location so I can find the one I'm missing ?

Anything else I missed to grind up to 100% ? I'm really running out of idea here.

Bounties are only worth .1% each, so it probably isn't that. For reference, you can check in stats somewhere and you should see 8, 8, 4 to have all the bounties. Did you ever get the Aztec Gold stranger mission?

Papercuts said:
Bounties are only worth .1% each, so it probably isn't that. For reference, you can check in stats somewhere and you should see 8, 8, 4 to have all the bounties. Did you ever get the Aztec Gold stranger mission?

I have 8 8 and 4. I have 18 stranger mission but Aztec Gold isn't rigging any bell to me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
UnluckyKate said:
I have 8 8 and 4. I have 18 stranger mission but Aztec Gold isn't rigging any bell to me.

If you did the I Know You quest then you're missing one. Try looking in Sidewinder Gulch for another stranger.

bunbun777

I have a question that has been bugging me-- but I guess I have to spoiler it in case...

In the 'Law' trailer- Ross talks about how they are the bad guys, they uphold the law, the consequences would be....hell on earth. I remember this dialog in the game, but the scene with Ross walking among fire(in the trailer), with a pistol in hand-- where was that in the game?!!

Thx-

Darklord

Banned
bunbun777 said:
I have a question that has been bugging me-- but I guess I have to spoiler it in case...

In the 'Law' trailer- Ross talks about how they are the bad guys, they uphold the law, the consequences would be....hell on earth. I remember this dialog in the game, but the scene with Ross walking among fire(in the trailer), with a pistol in hand-- where was that in the game?!!

Thx-

I never saw it either. Possibly got cut.

UnluckyKate said:
99.5% here and stuck.

Go to all the major cities and buy all the maps if you are missing a location. I think there is an achievement for finding all locations though, check if you have that, the site is wacky.

Inferno313 said:
Go to all the major cities and buy all the maps if you are missing a location. I think there is an achievement for finding all locations though, check if you have that, the site is wacky.

I have all the location. I'm going into Sidewinder Glutch.

voltron

So I did just "completed" Twin Rocks for like th 5th time. Is that a glitch or is supposed to keep resetting?

Seems kind of weird if it's meant to reset all the time. Same gang same farmers daughter etc every time.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Wiggum2007 said:
Making fire bottles and dynamite into heat-seeking rockets via Deadeye never gets old. :lol

So how do you do this exactly? Does it work on both the ps3 and 360?

360 RDR owner here.

TheUsual

Gold Member
voltron said:
So I did just "completed" Twin Rocks for like th 5th time. Is that a glitch or is supposed to keep resetting?

Seems kind of weird if it's meant to reset all the time. Same gang same farmers daughter etc every time.

Each hideout resets everyday. You complete these to get pardon letters.

EDIT

Also,
Once the game is done, if you want The US Marshall Outfit, you will have to beat all 5 US gang hideouts in 1 in-game day. Thats about an 1.5 real time hours

EDIT again,
I think I'm wrong with getting a pardon letter everytime you complete a hideout. You can find them there, but not everytime. Someone correct me if I'm wrong again.

Wiggum2007

TheUsual said:
So how do you do this exactly? Does it work on both the ps3 and 360?

360 RDR owner here.

Just like you use Deadeye with any other weapon, hold LT with fire bottle/dynamite, enter Deadeye, and mark targets and fire. If I remember right there's no reticle with them equipped so you just have to judge where the center of the screen is. For most hilarious results use on birds or fast moving targets on horses. Oh and this is SP, no idea if it works in MP.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Wiggum2007 said:
Just like you use Deadeye with any other weapon, hold LT with fire bottle/dynamite, enter Deadeye, and mark targets and fire. If I remember right there's no reticle with them equipped so you just have to judge where the center of the screen is. For most hilarious results use on birds or fast moving targets on horses. Oh and this is SP, no idea if it works in MP.

Cool, I'll give it a try soon.

I guess inviting people to your posse just to kick them and spawn kill is the new thing as far as griefing in Free Roam goes, it's happened to me several times now. The lesson there is never join a posse of strangers unless they talk to you first. One time I did manage to respawn behind a hill and avoid the death loop, then turn it around on the ambushers with the Carcano until they started voting to kick me out of the Free Roam, since online bullies are all pretty much pussies at heart and can never take what they dish out.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Eel O'Brian said:
I guess inviting people to your posse just to kick them and spawn kill is the new thing as far as griefing in Free Roam goes, it's happened to me several times now. The lesson there is never join a posse of strangers unless they talk to you first. One time I did manage to respawn behind a hill and avoid the death loop, then turn it around on the ambushers with the Carcano until they started voting to kick me out of the Free Roam, since online bullies are all pretty much pussies at heart and can never take what they dish out.

It's basically because of these types of jerks I will not play the multiplayer portion again. I can always do private hosting though.

I have decided to become an angel of death while playing solo in public Free Roams. Whenever I see a high-level shitfuck griefing a low-level and spawn-killing them over and over, I will bring a special hell their way if I can, and as long as I am able.

But yeah, they need to find a way to fix that, or the online portion of this game is gonna dry up quick.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
My wife is officially addicted as hell to RDR. She's not exactly what I would call a casual gamer but she doesn't play many, either. RDR is the last game I would have expected her to get into.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason what what games will dig their claws into her. She played HOURS of GeoWars 2. HOURS. Then nothing really until New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And now... Red Dead. Go figure!

I don't really have many funny observations. Well, I guess a couple -

- She enjoys putting Marston into new outfits when she gets them. Female stereotype ahoy.
- She FREAKED when accidentally killing her horse, once.
- Re: game difficulty - She played through RE5 on easy but it was SUPER frustrating. I had to help her with just about every other action set piece. But now she's halfway through RDR and has barely died and I've only helped her once (on the raft scene).

In fact, I think she's died less in RDR than I have. She's very very slow and methodical, and will just sit behind a rock FOREVER waiting to pick her shots. It frustrates me to no end to watch her play because I just run into the thick of every firefight. But it seems to be working out pretty well for her... so eh.

Levi

Banned
After nearly three weeks Rockstar support finally e-mailed me back about my borked sondtrack download... Asking me for stuff like my e-mail address and location purchased, code used--all stuff I sent in the original e-mail because I can follow instructions!! I literally copied and pasted my old e-mail and resent it as if new.

Hey, Rockstar, if you're reading this: eat a dick. Never buying a game of yours day one ever again. Your DRM sucks. I could have torrented this damn thing day one. I'm tryin to be legit and you're fuckin me, meanwhile pirates have had this soundtrack for weeks! Assholes.

Eel O'Brian said:
I have decided to become an angel of death while playing solo in public Free Roams. Whenever I see a high-level shitfuck griefing a low-level and spawn-killing them over and over, I will bring a special hell their way if I can, and as long as I am able.

Good for you. People that do that are pretty anoying especially if you are just riding in to meet other players.

Lothars

VsRobot said:
After nearly three weeks Rockstar support finally e-mailed me back about my borked sondtrack download... Asking me for stuff like my e-mail address and location purchased, code used--all stuff I sent in the original e-mail because I can follow instructions!! I literally copied and pasted my old e-mail and resent it as if new.

Hey, Rockstar, if you're reading this: eat a dick. Never buying a game of yours day one ever again. Your DRM sucks. I could have torrented this damn thing day one. I'm tryin to be legit and you're fuckin me, meanwhile pirates have had this soundtrack for weeks! Assholes.

It's the soundtrack, It's not like it's the full game that your not able to play, why would this stop you from buying another one of there games?

I don't understand this

TheUsual said:
It's basically because of these types of jerks I will not play the multiplayer portion again. I can always do private hosting though.

If you can stand it, just keep jumping to other Free Roams until you hit a friendly bunch. I had a good experience just now, where an older higher-level guy was teaching some kids how to play, and I tagged along with them while they did gang hideouts. Until, of course, some jackass came along while we were playing the Gaptooth Breach mine, stealing the mine cart and rolling it back inside, calling us names, the usual. But up until then it was fun. You just have to brush the crap off, block/mute the wastes of flesh, and eventually you'll get to the good times.

Of course, anyone with a bounty on their head is fair game, that's just part of the Free Roam. If I shoot up a town and get $1000 on my head, I expect to see a bunch of dots headed my way.

Wiggum2007

Is Estancia from the official soundtrack in the game anywhere? I can't remember ever hearing it, which is a shame because it's a great track.

Beat the game this weekend. What a great game.

I loved the story and how well it commented on the old west ending with a new era just happening in the game as well as the journey of John Marston's past endangering his future.

As for specifics:
I wonder if John knew his fate when he got on the ranch? I couldn't get over the sense of dread each time John was teaching his son how to be a rancher.
Dutch was a great villian. He was both cruel and aware his time was coming to an end. I feel like when he died, it also signed John's death sentence.
Completely surprised by the son part and the last part. Tried to disarm but ended up shooting him to death.

I hate cougars. I need to stick two with a knife. Any tips?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
GDJustin said:
My wife is officially addicted as hell to RDR. She's not exactly what I would call a casual gamer but she doesn't play many, either. RDR is the last game I would have expected her to get into.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason what what games will dig their claws into her. She played HOURS of GeoWars 2. HOURS. Then nothing really until New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And now... Red Dead. Go figure!

I don't really have many funny observations. Well, I guess a couple -

- She enjoys putting Marston into new outfits when she gets them. Female stereotype ahoy.
- She FREAKED when accidentally killing her horse, once.
- Re: game difficulty - She played through RE5 on easy but it was SUPER frustrating. I had to help her with just about every other action set piece. But now she's halfway through RDR and has barely died and I've only helped her once (on the raft scene).

In fact, I think she's died less in RDR than I have. She's very very slow and methodical, and will just sit behind a rock FOREVER waiting to pick her shots. It frustrates me to no end to watch her play because I just run into the thick of every firefight. But it seems to be working out pretty well for her... so eh.
Hah, that's pretty crazy.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
MiniBossBattle said:

I loved the story and how well it commented on the old west ending with a new era just happening in the game as well as the journey of John Marston's past endangering his future.

As for specifics:
I wonder if John knew his fate when he got on the ranch? I couldn't get over the sense of dread each time John was teaching his son how to be a rancher.
Dutch was a great villian. He was both cruel and aware his time was coming to an end. I feel like when he died, it also signed John's death sentence.
Completely surprised by the son part and the last part. Tried to disarm but ended up shooting him to death.

I think
he always knew that his past would catch up to him. Not to mention the rest of the character constantly shoving foreshadowing down your throat by saying "you'll be next."

Dude Abides

Banned
Don't turn Uncle Sam into Aunt Samantha. The films in this game are a million times better than any of the TV shows or comedy bullshit from GTAIV.

Just witnessed my first thunder and lightning storm while online with my brother and a friend and we were up in the snowy forest.... fucking EPIC!!! When the lightning flashed, it lit the world up like day and the shadows of trees filled the land. AMAZINGNESS!

Dude Abides said:
Don't turn Uncle Sam into Aunt Samantha. The films in this game are a million times better than any of the TV shows or comedy bullshit from GTAIV.

The image of the dude furiously shitting out tapeworms is worth it alone:lol :lol

Dizzle24

Finally finished up the 2nd map last night and made it to the 3rd map.

Finished all Stranger Missions I think...(Got the trophy)
Finished most of the "ambient missions"
Level 10 Hunter...Legendary animals were a JOKE. They all spawned as soon as I was in the area, they were alone and all except the bear, just stood there eating bullets.

About one of the Stranger missions
"I Know You"--is this further explained later in the story? YES or NO? No spoilers!! I haven't started any story missions in Black Water yet, but was John hallucinating? :lol Or just a play on his conscience?

StuBurns

Banned
Put about six hours in today, started some Mexican missions. I'm fairly impressed so far, I like John, but as a whole, I think GTA4 is the better game. Riding the horses endlessly does get a little monotonous, I never got bored driving in GTA4, the lack of radio really hurts it I think. The actual riding itself isn't as fun either for me. The missions are a lot better than in GTAs, but I don't think the characters are as interesting beyond John. Some of the little annoying design issues of GTA have carried over but are made worse due to the game design as a whole here.

It's good so far, really good, but not as good as I'd expected.

Wiggum2007

Dizzle24 said:
About one of the Stranger missions
"I Know You"--is this further explained later in the story? YES or NO? No spoilers!! I haven't started any story missions in Black Water yet, but was John hallucinating? :lol Or just a play on his conscience?

Short answer: Yes. Not so much spelled out directly, but if you payed careful attention to your encounters with him you will have an idea by the end of the game.

dlc? :lol

16kceiv.jpg

yeah, I know it's not from RDR, it's from a movie Jonah Hex. I just saw an advert for it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1075747/

Didn't Pachter say this game needed big guns to sell:lol :lol :lol

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Powered though the last 8 missions or so to finish up the game. Now to read 300 pages of spoiler text.

Some quick thoughts:

Absolutely loved the ranch stuff. Great change of pace at the right time, I genuinely felt happy for John. Like someone else said earlier it was obvious what they were doing (building up to some sort of tragedy) so I tried to enjoy the quiet time I had left with my family, which I think is what they wanted. I didn't think it was boring or tedious at all.

Some of the best dialogue was in those last missions too. Especially the back and forth between John and Abigail when they go meet Bonnie. They felt like a real couple, it was just really delightful stuff, I was smiling the whole time.

And the stuff with Jack was equally excellent, again I guess the highest compliment I can pay is that they felt like real people.

As for the ending ending, no I didn't see that coming (thought the boy was gonna get it), I thought it was good though. I thought the part when you go in to Deadeye after you walk out was a great touch, it was a nice way of conveying the helplessness of the situation in a way that only a video game could do.

Wiggum2007

Borgnine said:
Powered though the last 8 missions or so to finish up the game. Now to read 300 pages of spoiler text.

Some quick thoughts:

Absolutely loved the ranch stuff. Great change of pace at the right time, I genuinely felt happy for John. Like someone else said earlier it was obvious what they were doing (building up to some sort of tragedy) so I tried to enjoy the quiet time I had left with my family, which I think is what they wanted. I didn't think it was boring or tedious at all.

Some of the best dialogue was in those last missions too. Especially the back and forth between John and Abigail when they go meet Bonnie. They felt like a real couple, it was just really delightful stuff, I was smiling the whole time.

And the stuff with Jack was equally excellent, again I guess the highest compliment I can pay is that they felt like real people.

As for the ending ending, no I didn't see that coming (thought the boy was gonna get it), I thought it was good though. I thought the part when you go in to Deadeye after you walk out was a great touch, it was a nice way of conveying the helplessness of the situation in a way that only a video game could do.

Since I don't see it anywhere in your thoughts, this is my obligatory
"did you see the credits roll because if not the game isn't quite over"
post. If this is the case,
head to Blackwater and have a look around.

jred2k

Is there any way to get the Social Club to update? I've been sitting in there with 94% for a while now and I know that's not correct.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Strange glitch just happened. Was trying to punch a guy in a saloon, missed, then somehow was spawned in the middle of blackwater high in the air and fell to my death. Really wished I had a clip of this.

:lol :lol :lol

Merguson

Banned
jred2k said:
Is there any way to get the Social Club to update? I've been sitting in there with 94% for a while now and I know that's not correct.

No. They are working to fix several sections to sync properly with your in-game progress, specifically missions, outfits, challenges and strangers. According to my 100% page anyways.

If there's ever a new Zorro videogame this game's got to be the main inspiration. Am I the only one that wishes for a Zorro-esque DLC in the same vein as the GTAIV DLC?

Just finished the game(all the way to the credits) and all I have to say is wow, what an ending. Time to finish up the sidequests and achievements.

UrbanRats

Looks like spoiling this game's ending is the new sport on various comments section, so watchout. (Gametrailers, youtube etc)
It always has been a place for spoilers(comments section)but it looks like RDR is the new hot stuff to ruin.

Dead Man

VsRobot said:

Rockstar CS is shit. I had some problems with MC:LA, they took 3 weeks to get back to me that it was not the right area, and I had to email another team of dickheads. They didn't even forward on my initial email. They make great games, but their CS is fucking atrocious.

MiniBossBattle said:

As for specifics:

After 40 hours of playing, I discovered you can use the knife from horseback. I recommend that. Would have made the bear a hell of a lot easier!

Gor@n

Neo Member
I think my "I know you" stranger mission is glitched, tells me to go to thieves landing but i can't find the guy, i remember talking to a dude just outside who was flirting with a whore but my marker still stays in the saloon area and in my journal it has it checked off, so i dunno maybe its effed?

Top Bottom