• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

SamuraiX-

Gileadxv said:
I just wanted to give a HUGE thank you to you ∀ Narayan! It turned out to be Aztec Gold that was keeping me from 100%. No longer! :D

Sadly, that was also my last stranger mission. I never found a reason to explore Sidewinder Gulch. I came pretty close when I was exploring just outside where the winding cliffs begin... but never did I dare enter further. O_O

The_Dude

I was doing the mission where
you go to Mexico on the raft with Irish
, tried to take cover and flew straight up in the air. Between enemies taking the opportunity to use me as a clay pigeon and landing in the water, I'm not sure what killed me first :lol

Dead Man

The_Dude said:
I was doing the mission where
you go to Mexico on the raft with Irish
, tried to take cover and flew straight up in the air. Between enemies taking the opportunity to use me as a clay pigeon and landing in the water, I'm not sure what killed me first :lol
:lol

Levi

Banned
Lothars said:
It's the soundtrack, It's not like it's the full game that your not able to play, why would this stop you from buying another one of there games?

I don't understand this

I didn't say I wouldn't buy another of their games.. just that I'm not going to do it day one. I only bought RDR day one because I wanted the bonuses---but my outfit is glitched and my soundtrack download failed. Next time I'm waiting for a price drop because their pre-order/day one bonuses are fucking LIES.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just beat RDR, overall it lived up to the hype. I was looking forward to seeing the ending because of all the commotion about it and wow, what an ending that was.
I still can't believe that I'm playing as Jack Marston now, so unexpected and awesome.

It dragged a little in the middle, the story got a little unfocused and disjointed and a few of the mission types got a bit repetitive but what a great fuckin game. Now that is how you do a Wild West game. Now I can just focus on hunting and herbalism and stuff, after completing the story and playing for about 23 hours or so I still I have plenty left to do which is nice.
3 Thumbs up.

leng jai

Just had a random guy in Mexico give me a cash reward even though I hadn't done anything. Apparently I had saved his mum even though I don't remember doing such a thing. Interestingly this happened within 15 minutes of me getting 100% fame.

Abylim

^ that just happened to me, nowhere near max fame. I just entered mexico, story wise.
I love the random shit in this game.

Rflagg

leng jai said:
Just had a random guy in Mexico give me a cash reward even though I hadn't done anything. Apparently I had saved his mum even though I don't remember doing such a thing. Interestingly this happened within 15 minutes of me getting 100% fame.
A nun gave me like $300, a collection for me to keep up the work I was doing or something is what she said.

leng jai

Rflagg said:
A nun gave me like $300, a collection for me to keep up the work I was doing or something is what she said.

I found it funny that the guy made up a story about me saving his mum just as an excuse to give me money. I doubt there will be any nuns coming up to me anytime soon though, I'm about to go on a killing rampage for that bounty achievement.

Karud

leng jai said:
I found it funny that the guy made up a story about me saving his mum just as an excuse to give me money. I doubt there will be any nuns coming up to me anytime soon though, I'm about to go on a killing rampage for that bounty achievement.

They will. ;) I was on a rampage in Blackwater (using the bandana) and after killing enough for the 5000$ bounty, went straight across the street to the telegraphers station. Coming out, a nun walked up to me and handed me 54$.

In a nun encounter in Chuparosa, another one handed my a special amulet (cross) to protect my from bullets, it's in my inventory now.

Gor@n said:
I think my "I know you" stranger mission is glitched, tells me to go to thieves landing but i can't find the guy, i remember talking to a dude just outside who was flirting with a whore but my marker still stays in the saloon area and in my journal it has it checked off, so i dunno maybe its effed?

It was the couple you were supposed to go to (right of the saloon entrance) and either encourage or discourage the man. You proably pressed a button prompt without realizint (although there should have been a cutscene after that).

Try to reload a save and check if there is a new purple marker for the strange man (he should be in Mexico now).

Gor@n

Neo Member
It was the couple you were supposed to go to (right of the saloon entrance) and either encourage or discourage the man. You proably pressed a button prompt without realizint (although there should have been a cutscene after that).

Try to reload a save and check if there is a new purple marker for the strange man (he should be in Mexico now)

Yeah got the cutscene but the marker is still there, reloading don't do squat...ah well, i'm too far in to redo it, looks like another play through is in order further down the track, thanks anyway

Nicktendo86

I had a glitch last night where I ran up to a newspaper seller, pressed the buy button, the newspaper came up but we were both suddenly 100 feet in the air! I couldn't move so I had to load my last auto save which cost me some money...

All in all I'd say the game was excellent, far too many bugs and glitches though. I really feel it could have done with a bit more time in the oven. Overall I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Also regarding the end:
I thought it was a great idea to end the game with the gunfight and pick up playing as Jack, did not see that coming. However why oh why did they make you do two more cattle herding missions? They were never fun and to an extent made the end feel like an anticlimax!

Solo

RelentlessRolento said:
Yay! first time 100% in a rockstar game... feels good even though it wasnt that hard.

Thats a good thing. First R* game where getting 100% isnt tedious as fuck. The 100 hidden packages in the GTAs? Now thats some bullshit. RDR did it right.

Aurora

Nicktendo86 said:
I had a glitch last night where I ran up to a newspaper seller, pressed the buy button, the newspaper came up but we were both suddenly 100 feet in the air! I couldn't move so I had to load my last auto save which cost me some money...

All in all I'd say the game was excellent, far too many bugs and glitches though. I really feel it could have done with a bit more time in the oven. Overall I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Also regarding the end:
I thought it was a great idea to end the game with the gunfight and pick up playing as Jack, did not see that coming. However why oh why did they make you do two more cattle herding missions? They were never fun and to an extent made the end feel like an anticlimax!
Yep, I kind of agree. Herding is so boring and annoying, and bucking horses is not much better. I get what they were trying to do: luring you into a sense of security, tranquility and calm and then suddenly have the climax of the army + death of Marston, but that doesn't make the minigames any less bullshit.

I still found the end fantastic though. Definitely up there with one of the best I've experienced in a game.
Just a shame you're stuck with Jack since I really dislike his look and voice. Don't understand why they don't give you the option to switch between Jack and John in the Outfits section (providing you've concluded the whole storyline).

BeeDog said:
Is there a way to grind mounted gun kills in SP after 100%'ing the game?

Yeah there is a Browning Gun on the roof in mexico.

from the Gamespot forums

go southwest of el presidio and get 500 kills with that browning make sure you save every 50-100 kills because if you get wanted and die you will lose all the kills you got....after you get 500+ kills go to the el presidio fort and get on the gatling gun....kill a guy with the gatling gun and the achievement will pop up....

Also we need Liar's Dice/BlackJack/Texas Hold 'Em MP lobby's...with duels when caught cheating :lol

Rockstar Games always does shit that makes me look up bands or cool background info stuff on the internet. They even made me and my friends play Liar's Dice now in the pub, so thank you Rockstar for broadening my taste...

Mest30

Banned
Solo said:
99.1%....9 more bounty missions (3 apiece left in New Austin, Mexico, and West Elizabeth) and Ill get my 100%.

Where does it say how many bounty missions you have done? And how many do you have to do in each area to get full credit for it?

Goldrusher

Updated the OP with the John Hillcoat movie.

4qhlk2.jpg

A 30 minute short film, created and directed by none other than John Hillcoat (the director of The Proposition and The Road), chronicles a slice-in-time of protagonist John Marston as he tracks down his former fellow outlaw and friend, Bill Williamson. Along the way, Marston encounters many of Red Dead Redemption's eclectic cast of dreamers, misfits and liars.

Using the world of Red Dead Redemption as a virtual film studio and created entirely with in-game assets and technology, Hillcoat re-imagines Marston’s pursuit of justice and salvation.

2v0fk9i.jpg

STREAMING
YouTube

DOWNLOAD (230 MB)
Megaupload | Hotfile | Netload

BeeDog

StevePharma said:
Yeah there is a Browning Gun on the roof in mexico.

from the Gamespot forums

Alright, follow-up:

How am I supposed to use the mounted stuff against the Mexican army? When they spawn, they spawn inside El Presidio, so I can't aim the stuff against them. :/ What building is the key, exactly?

Wiggum2007

Leunam said:
I'll have to watch it later. Watched The Road last night, loved every minute of it.

It's pretty dumb. It just pieces together a bunch of the cutscenes of the early part of the game, with some random bits of recorded gameplay footage of horse riding/guys getting shot awkwardly interspersed in between. Not even worth viewing as far as I'm concerned. I'd wager that John Hillcoat's entire involvement consisted of him showing up to pick up his paycheck.

Pennybags

Leunam said:
I'll have to watch it later. Watched The Road last night, loved every minute of it.

It felt like a pretty poor machinima to me, unfortunately. The short was comprised of in-game cutscenes (occasionally at a different angle and edited for language) with choppy scenes of gunfights to emulate the gameplay.

If you dislike the first few minutes, then by all means, abandon ship, because it doesn't get any better.

Solo

Mest30 said:
Where does it say how many bounty missions you have done? And how many do you have to do in each area to get full credit for it?

Under stats --> score
It lists how many bounties youve done in each area. You need New Austin to read 8, Mexico to read 8, and West Elizabeth to read 4 to get them all.

Falt

100%! I also suffered from the 99.5% curse of Aztec Gold.

What a fucking game!

Ending...
John Marston is a legend and his death scene was breath taking (literally). Not a big fan of Jack, his look and voice. I just don't feel any real connection with the character. The only thing I share with him is that he lost John.
All in all, wow. It's been a while since a game has gripped me like this. Bravo Rockstar, bravo.

Solo said:
Thats a good thing. First R* game where getting 100% isnt tedious as fuck. The 100 hidden packages in the GTAs? Now thats some bullshit. RDR did it right.

Bounties can be tedious. I had 8 in New Austin, 4 in West Elizabeth and 7 in Mexico. I went through maybe 12 bounties in Mexico before the one I needed showed up. Not as extreme as GTA but still for .1%, it was a little much!

elwes

Solo said:
Under stats --> score
It lists how many bounties youve done in each area. You need New Austin to read 8, Mexico to read 8, and West Elizabeth to read 4 to get them all.

These bounty missions are pissing me off. Especially the ones in West Elizabeth. There's this one that's way up in the mountains (Nektal Rock?) that I can't ever seem to complete because I can't get a good enough headstart on the outlaws before they reach me.

Wiggum2007 said:
It's pretty dumb. It just pieces together a bunch of the cutscenes of the early part of the game, with some random bits of recorded gameplay footage of horse riding/guys getting shot awkwardly interspersed in between. Not even worth viewing as far as I'm concerned. I'd wager that John Hillcoat's entire involvement consisted of him showing up to pick up his paycheck.

This, I was pretty disappointed, just random cut scenes with no pacing at all.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Anyone get the new copy of the newspaper once the game is done? It's pretty awesome, you get to find out what some of the characters in the main game have been doing.

Solo

elwes said:
These bounty missions are pissing me off. Especially the ones in West Elizabeth. There's this one that's way up in the mountains (Nektal Rock?) that I can't ever seem to complete because I can't get a good enough headstart on the outlaws before they reach me.

What headstart do you need? Its just 3 dudes on horses respawning again and again. Deadeye + 3 headshots makes it a joke.

Pennybags

The Lamonster said:
Awesome OP. Are there end-game spoilers in this film? Is it basically the entire plot of RDR in 30 minutes?

Spoilers for approx. 1/3 of the game, culminating in the attack on
Fort Mercer

Denzar

Wiggum2007 said:
Yeah...pretty much.

It was awkward to watch, really... and was terribly edited.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Single player question...im finding that there isnt any active quests on my map right now. Im basically just running around hunting things, etc....how do you actually come across missions that further along the main story?

TheUsual

Gold Member
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Single player question...im finding that there isnt any active quests on my map right now. Im basically just running around hunting things, etc....how do you actually come across missions that further along the main story?

Some quests require main story prereqs while I noticed others just popped up randomly. Check out the Red Dead Wiki for more info.

Vinci

Danish
Eel O'Brian said:
I have decided to become an angel of death while playing solo in public Free Roams. Whenever I see a high-level shitfuck griefing a low-level and spawn-killing them over and over, I will bring a special hell their way if I can, and as long as I am able.

But yeah, they need to find a way to fix that, or the online portion of this game is gonna dry up quick.

So Free Roam is basically like the original Ultima Online? Got it. You know, that explains a lot. I wish they had put that somewhere in the GARGANTUAN ToS agreement I had to read before logging in.

My poor, poor little donkey.

So how does this "Horse Deed Quick Save" thing work exactly. I was going for the
Spurred To Victory
achievement, and even after that kept the same horse for a LONG time, but now I'm in cougar territory, and doing the harder challenges so my horse got mashed, and I bought my first deed.

How does the quick save work exactly? Does it save when it says "You already have this horse, save the deed for another time" or what?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Net_Wrecker said:
So how does this "Horse Deed Quick Save" thing work exactly. I was going for the Buckin' Awesome achievement, and even after that kept the same horse for a LONG time, but now I'm in cougar territory, and doing the harder challenges so my horse got mashed, and I bought my first deed.

How does the quick save work exactly? Does it save when it says "You already have this horse, save the deed for another time" or what?

It won't save if you are trying to use the deed when you already have that horse tagging along with you. You will need at least 2 deeds to get it to work. If you have already done the Buckin' Awesome achievement, you might as well go buy the deeds to the other top horses. So when you are in cougar territory or where ever, you just switch between deeds to quick save. Just keep going back and forth between deeds while you are working on challenges.

Wish I thought of this before I finished all of those quests.

Psy-Phi

Rflagg said:
I got $100 from a nun I think. Then later on in the game a nun came asking for $60, this was right after I got to West Elizabeth for the first time...and she claimed to come all the way from Las Hermanas (I think is the name of the nunnery down in Mexico). I gave it to her, but I thought, damn, that bitch came all the way from Mexico to the northern states for $60 bucks. I was just in Mexico and gave the nunnery some cash for a Stranger Mission (I know You).

The money I got from the nun way earlier in the game, was a black nun and spoke with an american accent, not sure where she came from.
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I would assume it's time related? Some missions require it to be a certain time before you can pick them up, and won't show up on the mini-map unless that time is met or you're close enough to see it on the map and not in the distance.

But you should still be able to see it on the main map regardless of how far you are. I never ran into a moment when I couldn't see a story mission. Are you sure you're not just passing over it as you're looking for it? I did that a few times with Louisa's mission's in Mexico.

TheUsual said:
It won't save if you are trying to use the deed when you already have that horse tagging along with you. You will need at least 2 deeds to get it to work. If you have already done the Buckin' Awesome achievement, you might as well go buy the deeds to the other top horses. So when you are in cougar territory or where ever, you just switch between deeds to quick save. Just keep going back and forth between deeds while you are working on challenges.

Wish I thought of this before I finished all of those quests.

That certainly makes sense now. Thanks.

Still feel kinda weird about treating horses so "meh w/e" now, but I guess a quick save while getting mauled >>> losing progress :lol

Top Bottom