• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

TheUsual

Gold Member
@Net_Wrecker

Are you going for
Spurred to Victory achievement? You need to keep the same horse hitched for 20 main story missions.

TheUsual said:
@Net_Wrecker

Are you going for
Spurred to Victory achievement? You need to keep the same horse hitched for 20 main story missions.

Dammit, that's what I meant I got already, not Buckin' Awesome :lol Lemme fix that.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Net_Wrecker said:
Dammit, that's what I meant I got already, not Buckin' Awesome :lol Lemme fix that.

If you are going for that achievement, you're going to have to play it really safe with the game. Might require reloading saves
if the horse dies
. Didn't know it existed until I got it.

EDIT
Threw in spoiler tags, not sure if this might spoil it for some.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Net_Wrecker said:
That certainly makes sense now. Thanks.

Still feel kinda weird about treating horses so "meh w/e" now, but I guess a quick save while getting mauled >>> losing progress :lol

Like I said a post earlier, I really wished I thought of this before doing the master quests. So many times in Tall Trees I was mauled by bears while gathering flowers or shooting elk and big horns and losing all the stuff I gathered and having to do it over again.

DeadGzuz

Banned
How come I can kill a lone guy in the middle of the desert and get -50 honor, yet kill 20 insurgents while working for the bad dictator and get no negative honor? I hate this honor system, I want to be a bad ass, not a boyscout!

DeadGzuz said:
How come I can kill a lone guy in the middle of the desert and get -50 honor, yet kill 20 insurgents while working for the bad dictator and get no negative honor? I hate this honor system, I want to be a bad ass, not a boyscout!

Go buy a bandana, when you wear it you don't gain or lose honor

Dead Man

DeadGzuz said:
Well be a bad ass, and deal with the consequences :p Or as has been suggested, wear a bandanna.

DeadGzuz

Banned
DTLIONS1013 said:
Go buy a bandana, when you wear it you don't gain or lose honor

Damn, cool!

Dead Man said:
Well be a bad ass, and deal with the consequences :p Or as has been suggested, wear a bandanna.

If no one sees me in the middle of the desert, then why the consequences? Yet I can help the bad guy and kill tons of good guys, no consequences? It's contrived.

Karud

If you want to be a badass, why do you even care? It's not that the honor system affects the overall reputation system.

Mest30

Banned
Solo said:
Under stats --> score
It lists how many bounties youve done in each area. You need New Austin to read 8, Mexico to read 8, and West Elizabeth to read 4 to get them all.

Awesome, thanks!

Vinci

Danish
timkunedo said:
Good to know about the bandana. Will come in handy on my next playthrough.

I've been playing John Marston with MPD. One second, he's a nice, perfectly upstanding citizen trying to help the local marshals; the next, he's a ruthless, indiscriminate killer that just savagely brutalizes people out in the wilds.

I've enjoyed the game immensely more since figuring out what the bandanna did.

Shit, forgot about the bandana. Just shot all kinds of people for that 5000 bounty achievement when it got saved because I unlocked a challenge doing that. Now my honor is right in the middle and have to fill it all the way back up.

Also hate that I didn't know about the secret achievements that you can only get in the campaign, now I finished it.

Finished up the last few Hunting Challenges to get 100% last night and I gotta say, this pretty easily passed Mass Effect 2 for my GOTY so far. I really enjoyed pretty much every aspect of the game. I loved how the collectibles weren't hidden packages or coffee thermos's but actual animals. It made the trip to 100% much more enjoyable.

If I had to nitpick the two things that come to mind are at the beginning of some missions where you have to ride to a destination and can't skip directly to the end which were pretty boring some times, and some of the mid-level hunting challenges. It literally took me two and a half hours to find 5 Raccoons and 5 Skunks. It felt like the game knew what I was looking for and deliberately despawned them, but I guess that's a part of hunting.

A couple things I would have liked to seen would have been fishing and a flashback mission of sorts where you get to play as John in the actual gang, with Javier, Bill, and Dutch in their heydey.

Now I just wish Multiplayer wasn't so broken for me. I can't stay in a Free Roam session with more than 3 people for longer than 30 seconds before I get booted.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Finished up the last few Hunting Challenges to get 100% last night and I gotta say, this pretty easily passed Mass Effect 2 for my GOTY so far. I really enjoyed pretty much every aspect of the game. I loved how the collectibles weren't hidden packages or coffee thermos's but actual animals. It made the trip to 100% much more enjoyable.

If I had to nitpick the two things that come to mind are at the beginning of some missions where you have to ride to a destination and can't skip directly to the end which were pretty boring some times, and some of the mid-level hunting challenges. It literally took me two and a half hours to find 5 Raccoons and 5 Skunks. It felt like the game knew what I was looking for and deliberately despawned them, but I guess that's a part of hunting.

A couple things I would have liked to seen would have been fishing and a flashback mission of sorts where you get to play as John in the actual gang, with Javier, Bill, and Dutch in their heydey.

Now I just wish Multiplayer wasn't so broken for me. I can't stay in a Free Roam session with more than 3 people for longer than 30 seconds before I get booted.
Agreed. I'm actually hoping for a prequel. And fishing would be perfect for this game.

NekoFever

That would make an awesome DLC episode in the vein of the GTA IV ones. End it with John getting left for dead after the botched robbery and leaving the gang with Abigail and Jack.

SamuraiX-

Rebel Leader said:
now get one for tanners reach aka Cougar House :D

:D

Tanners_Reach_Cougar.jpg

Couldn't think of anything good to write though. :lol

Rikyfree

Tanner's Reach: OH SHIT! RUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!

Or

Tanner's Reach: Hope you have life insurance.

or Tanner's Reach: It sure is quiet here, isn- RAWR!!!!

Ploid 3.0

Ferrio said:
http://n1nj4.net/~ferrio/random/tanners.png[/QUOTE]

:lol They should have this in the actual game. Make it a wooden sign with the full name but splattered with blood. Gotta keep players in the game. Yellow modern sign would take them out, maybe for the pc version with mods.

Edit: After playing enough of the story to the point where I want to look up codes, I wish there were better codes. A animals attack code would be awesome. cougars with knives code too, I miss stuff like that from the old gtas, and SR2. Heck one code that spawned a nemesis cougar which is faster, stronger, invincible, and more stealthy would even be nice. I feel invincible and although there are things that attack you without being provoked I never feel like I'm in any real danger. I'd have to really screw up, and be caught off guard.

so this game has binoculars somewhere?

i fucking need them. i have to have them. played so many missions that i've been to every place in New Austin... but still no binoculars :( do i really get them only later in Mexico or something? because that would really, really suck.

they should have been there from the start... so many times i saw something in the distance and wanted to sneak a bit closer and zoom in. but no :( would also be fun to observe animals from a safe distance..

astroturfing said:
so this game has binoculars somewhere?

i fucking need them. i have to have them. played so many missions that i've been to every place in New Austin... but still no binoculars :( do i really get them only later in Mexico or something? because that would really, really suck.

they should have been there from the start... so many times i saw something in the distance and wanted to sneak a bit closer and zoom in. but no :( would also be fun to observe animals from a safe distance..

You obtain the binoculars in the last area of the world during a story mission.

UnluckyKate said:
You obtain the binoculars in the last area of the world during a story mission.

ok. but whyyyyy :( it doesnt make any sense. such a basic tool that would have been cool to use throughout the whole game...

i hate shit like this in otherwise excellent games. little design choices that are just baffling... argh.

Pennybags

SamuraiX- said:
Yeah, I thought giving the binoculars to you near the end of the story was a pretty terrible design flaw on R*SD's part.

I agree, even though attempting to use them often causes the game to throw my character into stasis and deny any input other than the pause menu or map.

Ploid 3.0

I don't like how zoom items are handled in this game. There is no crosshair to show where the item is currently pointing before you use the zoom, and when you use it it's the old tech bubble lens and the movement is slow. I know it's the old west but it could have been handled better, at least the pointing part.

Ferrio said:

Nice, but logically if you were painting the sign you wouldn't paint dots on it if you got killed whilst doing it would you? I get that it's more of a metaphor, but I really feel it should be true to the realism that Red Dead oozes.

It looks like the 30-minute short film is finally up for public consumption. Right now I only see it on Gametrailers as a 659MB WMV. Anyone found a higher quality source?

NekoFever

Bungieware said:
Nice, but logically if you were painting the sign you wouldn't paint dots on it if you got killed whilst doing it would you? I get that it's more of a metaphor, but I really feel it should be true to the realism that Red Dead oozes.
vrwmmb.jpg

eshock

Bungieware said:

"What does it say, Brother Maynard?"
"It reads, "Here may be found the last words of Joseph of Aramathia. He who is valiant and pure of spirit may find the holy grail in the Castle of Aaauuuggghhh... ”
"What?"
"The Castle of Aaaauuuggghhhh"
"What is that?"
"He must have died while carving it."
"Oh come on!"
"Well, that's what it says."
"Look, if he was dying, he wouldn't have bothered to carve 'Aaaauuuggghhhh'. He'd just say it."
"Maybe he was dictating it."

edit: doh, above image didn't load the first time, beaten!

Booshka

Just got 100% completion today. I was stuck at 99.5% and realized I didn't have all the stranger missions complete. I forgot that one of them doesn't count toward completion. I have 920 points missing a couple in single player and 3 in multiplayer.

I'm pretty burnt out on the game, have like 70 hours put into it in a little over 2 weeks, but it was definitely one of my favorite single player experiences in a while. I liked it a lot more than GTA4 and hope Rockstar continues to build on this series. Which I'm sure they will.

Wiggum2007

Valkyr Junkie said:
It looks like the 30-minute short film is finally up for public consumption. Right now I only see it on Gametrailers as a 659MB WMV. Anyone found a higher quality source?

Just watch the first few minutes of it on gametrailers to realize it's not worth your while.

Helmholtz

Question for those aiming with Expert:
What sensitivity do you use? I have it at default and it feels kind of slow, like I can't move my crosshair around quick enough. Almost seems this way on every sensitivity though.

Booshka

I have it maxed out and it still feels a little slow. I usually play on medium sensitivity (4 or 5 out of 10) in most console FPS's so I'm not twitchy at all. The aiming just feels sluggish, it is one of the major faults of the game.

Luckily, I can just abuse Deadeye to make up for it. There is no way I'm gonna take out a gang posse after me during a Bounty Hunter Mission, while using Expert aim and sprinting on horseback.

Some free roam shenanigans. Taken on top of a couple of hills and mountains with no easy way to get up there. We could only get up there by horse.
vy6zr9.jpg

28013b8.jpg

k9ditc.jpg

112abr9.jpg

What you don't see are another posse shooting us off the hills minutes later.:lol... :(

Don't know how this guy got stuck there. xD
292togi.jpg

Enjoying the scenery in SP
2jdns40.jpg

Yeah i know not great quality.

Is anyone else having problems getting in to Free Roam? I haven’t even been able to check it out!

Every time I try it comes up with a connection problem and then it just loads and does nothing! : (

Top Bottom