• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I found something I don't like about this game

When you touch the water you die.

I was walking along the each of the river and must've stepped onto a bit of land at such an angle that I just rolled down the hill and died in the water.

Why can't it just put you back on the closest bit of land? very annoying.

Aurora

Almost at 100% completion now. Just have a few bounties and Stranger missions to wrap up and I'll be done.

I dipped into Multiplayer a bit but I'd get thrown out every 15 minutes so I'll wait for a patch before continuing.

D4Danger said:

I was walking along the each of the river and must've stepped onto a bit of land at such an angle that I just rolled down the hill and died in the water.

Yeah, really bad game design. It happened to me when I was hunting animals for the Hunting challenges. I spent a good 40 minutes gathering hides only to fall into a tiny bit of water and have everything reset.

Stitch

Gold Member
D4Danger said:

yeah when i played the game for the first few hours i tried to cross the river to get to the railroad camp and immediately drowned... then later the game told me that i need to cross the river with some cows and i thought "WTF!? I CAN'T DO THIS! THE WATER KILLS ME!!"

bathala

Banned
D4Danger said:

I made a point in the game to never ride a horse in Thieves Landing.

Definity

I've unlocked three avatar awards so far (black rock star shirt, the sombrero, and the red dead redemption shirt).
There are a total of five avatar awards but I have no idea how to unlock the other two.
Are the last two part of an upcoming community challenge?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Definity said:
I've unlocked three avatar awards so far (black rock star shirt, the sombrero, and the red dead redemption shirt).
There are a total of five avatar awards but I have no idea how to unlock the other two.
Are the last two part of an upcoming community challenge?

How do you get the black rockstar shirt?

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
Tricky I Shadow said:
Is anyone else having problems getting in to Free Roam? I haven’t even been able to check it out!

Every time I try it comes up with a connection problem and then it just loads and does nothing! : (
Yes, big time. This is exactly what happens to me.

I had a perfect session the first time I played it on Saturday; I guess I lucked out. Every session I played on Sunday ended up doing exactly what you've described: "You've been disconnected from your current session due to connection issues with other session members."

It then sets off to find me another Free Roam, but stays on the loading screen endlessly. I let it run for 20 minutes once to see if it would time out, but it just stayed on that screen. So... pretty sure it's a bug. It should eventually time out and let the player choose to continue looking, or return to the Start Menu.

Ploid 3.0

Stitch said:
yeah when i played the game for the first few hours i tried to cross the river to get to the railroad camp and immediately drowned... then later the game told me that i need to cross the river with some cows and i thought "WTF!? I CAN'T DO THIS! THE WATER KILLS ME!!"

Haha I just did that, I thought the same thing. As I crossed the water I thought it looked very cool, I wish we were encouraged to interact with the water more often instead of being instantly punished.

Klocker

Helmholtz said:
Question for those aiming with Expert:
What sensitivity do you use? I have it at default and it feels kind of slow, like I can't move my crosshair around quick enough. Almost seems this way on every sensitivity though.

1 maybe 2 clicks up... I like it but I will keep increasing as I get better

cgcg

D4Danger said:

Don't worry they are saving the *improvement* for the sequel.

Bizzyb

Banned
I can't seem to rob people on the train. I point the gun at them and all they do is cower. There's Never an option to push "Y" to rob. What am I doing wrong?

voltron

Anyone know if there's a glitch where it doesn't accurately track your animal kills? I unloaded a huge load of animal parts at a shop and there seemed to be only 1 cougar whatever.

I know for a cold hard fact that I killed more than 1. I thought I killed at least 5 at one point when a shitload of wolves and cougars started attacking at night.

Any thoughts?

voltron said:
Anyone know if there's a glitch where it doesn't accurately track your animal kills? I unloaded a huge load of animal parts at a shop and there seemed to be only 1 cougar whatever.

I know for a cold hard fact that I killed more than 1. I thought I killed at least 5 at one point when a shitload of wolves and cougars started attacking at night.

Any thoughts?
Was it a pelt? For every skinning performed, you should get a pelt. But you are not guaranteed to get other items off of the skinning, such as claws, teeth, hearts, etc. So you may have had five pelts but only one tooth or claw.

voltron

blindrocket said:
Was it a pelt? For every skinning performed, you should get a pelt. But you are not guaranteed to get other items off of the skinning, such as claws, teeth, hearts, etc. So you may have had five pelts but only one tooth or claw.

Yeah maybe I just sold the pelts without noticing then noticed I only had 1 claw or something.

Just curious if there was a known bug. Good to see there probably isnt.

leng jai

Wheres the best place to find Beavers? Been running around the third area near the lakes for about half an hour and haven't seen one.

leng jai said:
Wheres the best place to find Beavers? Been running around the third area near the lakes for about half an hour and haven't seen one.

Along the river north of Blackwater, just keep walking west along it during the day.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
leng jai said:

I went to the very top of the map by the river where it starts snowing and found a pack every so often.

Beat it tonight and dissected the ending and the game as a whole and its perfect in my eyes. My GOTG so far.

With John I was a good guy and cared about my good image but now with Jack I just want to shoot up the world.

KoruptData said:
With John I was a good guy and cared about my good image but now with Jack I just want to shoot up the world.

Same.
I took out Ross' brother in cold blood. It seemed like the right thing for Jack to do at the time.

SixStringPsycho said:
WTF?! Ive been like an hour in this game in MP and Ive seen nobody playing. Ive tried matches and nothing. Does nobody play this game in MP?

Don't worry. Someone will come along to kill you and then camp your spawn point. Just be patient.

Teknoman

SixStringPsycho said:
WTF?! Ive been like an hour in this game in MP and Ive seen nobody playing. Ive tried matches and nothing. Does nobody play this game in MP?

What system? Also some people are probably waiting on the patch this month (glitches and disconnects). I know I took a break from PSN freeroam/online to get further in SP.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I was out collecting feathers for one of my stranger-missions last night, but I couldn't find any of the birds' corpses. Then I noticed something: there were no bodies because my rifle literally obliterates the birds :lol
Now I'm switching between Bolt Action Rifle for riding in the desert and Springfield Rifle for birdhunting.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Question for Rockstar GAF:

I've never been wowed by the company before, they seemed to, in the PS1/PS2 generations, get by with shock value. The games got very hyped up but I haven't (seriously) enjoyed a title since GTA 1 (new idea for me! at the time and it was a blast to just drive around top down :lol ) while State of Emergency / Manhunt were the 2 biggest shock value carried pieces of crap I played in ages.

I haven't played GTA 4 (GTA SA sucked so bad it ruined the series for me) but RDR seems interesting. For someone who isn't into GTA games is RDR any good?

R* has 2 titles that interest me,

Agent = #1 (Espionage <3 )
Distant 2nd = RDR (worried its GTA with horses...)

Does RDR have enough in it to be worth playing or is it like GTA? (I hate HATE GTA's "mission structure, lets put it like that)

meppi

lsslave said:
Question for Rockstar GAF:

I've never been wowed by the company before, they seemed to, in the PS1/PS2 generations, get by with shock value. The games got very hyped up but I haven't (seriously) enjoyed a title since GTA 1 (new idea for me! at the time and it was a blast to just drive around top down :lol ) while State of Emergency / Manhunt were the 2 biggest shock value carried pieces of crap I played in ages.

I haven't played GTA 4 (GTA SA sucked so bad it ruined the series for me) but RDR seems interesting. For someone who isn't into GTA games is RDR any good?

R* has 2 titles that interest me,

Agent = #1 (Espionage <3 )
Distant 2nd = RDR (worried its GTA with horses...)

Does RDR have enough in it to be worth playing or is it like GTA? (I hate HATE GTA's "mission structure, lets put it like that)
I'm a bit in the same boat, but I can't really help on RDR as I've just ordered a copy myself.
If you have a DS, you might want to check out Chinatown Wars though as I loved that one despite never being able to get into GTA's besides the first one.

StuBurns

Banned
If you hate GTA, you'll hate this.

People can debate if this is Grand Theft Horse all they wish, but this is exactly what you would imagine a GTA as a western to be.

The biggest difference is the morality involved, but it's not that different that it'd make someone who hates the GTA game design I think.

Tried the Most Wanted Trophy in Free Roam yesterday. 10 minutes on the roof in Armadillo and I knew, just when I hit the road, some player will appear and kill me. I hate it when I'm right. And it was just him and me on this session.

You can't do shit in Free Roam without someone after you and killing you every time you spawn.

Will give Free Roam another try, but if it sucks like yesterday, I don't see me getting more into it.

StuBurns

Banned
Truant said:
What? I hated GTAIV, but I absolutely love this.
Yeah, but it depends what you hate. If you hate the missions, and the over arcing game design, they are exactly the same here. It is the same thing. If you hate the world and characters etc, fair enough, all of that has changed, but RDR is very much the most recent GTA release. With all the trappings of the series so far.

Dead Man

StuBurns said:
Yeah, but it depends what you hate. If you hate the missions, and the over arcing game design, they are exactly the same here. It is the same thing. If you hate the world and characters etc, fair enough, all of that has changed, but RDR is very much the most recent GTA release. With all the trappings of the series so far.
Sort of. I only hated the gameplay mechanics of GTAIV (but enough that I never want to play the game again!), so the tweaks they have made to the controls, and the cover system, and the lack of the social system, and the return of side missions, are all steps in the right direction for me. That said, if you have not liked ANY GTA's to this point, RDR is not the game for you.

Rikyfree

Dead Man said:
Sort of. I only hated the gameplay mechanics of GTAIV (but enough that I never want to play the game again!), so the tweaks they have made to the controls, and the cover system, and the lack of the social system, and the return of side missions, are all steps in the right direction for me. That said, if you have not liked ANY GTA's to this point, RDR is not the game for you.
But I didn't like ANY of the GTA's, I love RDR. This statement may not apply to all but there is certainly something special going on with this game imo.

D4Danger said:

Yeah that pissed me off once. I chased down a bounty for a long ass time and when I finally caught him and hogtied him he suddenly rolled down the hill into a river. I went to try and get him and died like waist high. :mad:

God the 5000$ bounty is a hassle when you have maximum fame. I can't count how many times I had to eradicate Blackwater's/Armadillo's entire populace (well entire pool of living creatures to be honest)...

Still needs to complete Treasure and Hunter challenges. I'm stuck on the latter : for the love of god I don't understand how you guys manage to knife cougars.

If I put 2 bullets in them they die.
If I shoot them only once they flee and I can't seem to be able to catch up to finish them up. What's the deal ?

Dead Man

Rikyfree said:
But I didn't like ANY of the GTA's, I love RDR. This statement may not apply to all but there is certainly something special going on with this game imo.
Huh, maybe so. RDR is certainly different in feel to my favourite GTA's, but I love it anyway. A great game, regardless.

BaronLundi said:
God the 5000$ bounty is a hassle when you have maximum fame. I can't count how many times I had to eradicate Blackwater's/Armadillo's entire populace (well entire pool of living creatures to be honest)...

Still needs to complete Treasure and Hunter challenges. I'm stuck on the latter : for the love of god I don't understand how you guys manage to knife cougars.

If I shoot them only once they flee and I can't seem to be able to catch up to finish them up. What's the deal ?
Knife them from horseback. Or roll out of the way. Or put one round into them with the cattleman revolver, avoiding their head or ribs. Pain in the arse, for sure.

Solo

BaronLundi said:

Dont shoot them at all. Get off your horse and cut them the fuck up.

StuBurns

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Yeah same here. There are some similarities but overall this is the superior game in every way.
I haven't finished yet, but yes, it's certainly the superior game. However, my point was that depending on what you dislike about the GTA games, this is not going to fix them. If the issue is a fundamental disdain towards the game design, I really don't think RDR is going to change their minds. It is the same thing, you travel around an open environment, meeting people who send you on a bunch of missions, there is some freedom as to which order you do them in, but ultimately, you do all of them, or you don't finish the game. They involve basically the same things, steal this, kill them, protect them, protect that etc. If those elements are not at all appealing, they are in this game too.

RDR is pretty incredible, but it is not out of the ordinarily for an open world game from Rockstar. It is exactly what I thought it'd be when I heard an open world rockstar cowboy game was coming, with the exception of the fact the wanted system is basically never used.

Nicktendo86

Ok so last night I discovered the
stranger mission at the end when you kill the bloke who killed John. I didn't know about this which made it all be better. However after I spoke to his wife
she was sat backwards on her stool. I really like the game but the sheer amount of stupid glitches really spoils it to an extent, sometimes it feels plain old unfinished! Having said that this is the first R* game I have felt I can 100% which makes me really want to so thumbs up for that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nicktendo86 said:
However after I spoke to his wife
she was sat backwards on her stool.
Happened to me too but she was alread sitting backwards in the air when I arrived, sat normally for the scene and got backwards in the air again after it. :lol My game was basically glitch free until that, I guess I got lucky (although I wouldn't mind one of the funny glitches like the bird people, cougar man and donkey woman).

StuBurns

Banned
I have a question as I'm near the end I believe.
In a Vanquish thread, someone posted a spoiler, I'm wondering what the implications of it are, so many someone could clarify for me.

END GAME SPOILER

Is it true John dies? This being the case, does the game not allow you to play after the last mission? Should I do all my extra stuff before finishing?

Top Bottom