• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

StuBurns said:
I have a question as I'm near the end I believe.
In a Vanquish thread, someone posted a spoiler, I'm wondering what the implications of it are, so many someone could clarify for me.

END GAME SPOILER

Is it true John dies? This being the case, does the game not allow you to play after the last mission? Should I do all my extra stuff before finishing?
You can just play further after you finished the story.

To answer your first question:
Yes, John dies.

StuBurns

Banned
disappeared said:
Good movies end badly.
I meant it's odd that
you can play after you die
but I'm guessing I'm missing something important. Anyway, not long till I finish now I suspect.

Dead Man said:
All will be made clear in time. And who was the fucker that spoiled it in the other thread?
Aspiring

Haunted said:
spoiler that shit
What shit? I thought I was being pretty careful.

Mest30

Banned
Do the night watch missions and horse breaking missions count towards 100%? If so, how many of each do you have to complete?

Dead Man

StuBurns said:
Fucker.
Prophet Steve said:
I also got it spoiled, not sure where. Saw to late the big SPOILER warning below the post. :(
Yeah, whoever that was too. Fuckers.
Mest30 said:
Do the night watch missions and horse breaking missions count towards 100%? If so, how many of each do you have to complete?
Just once at each location, I believe.

Aspiring

StuBurns said:
If you hate GTA, you'll hate this.

People can debate if this is Grand Theft Horse all they wish, but this is exactly what you would imagine a GTA as a western to be.

The biggest difference is the morality involved, but it's not that different that it'd make someone who hates the GTA game design I think.

Thats not true, i had these feelings in the first thread. I hated GTA 4 so was reluctant to get this. I gave in and 36 hours later and still going its my GOTY. Get the game, even if you hated GTA, because its brilliant.

Dead Man

Aspiring said:
Thats not true, i had these feelings in the first thread. I hated GTA 4 so was reluctant to get this. I gave in and 36 hours later and still going its my GOTY. Get the game, even if you hated GTA, because its brilliant.
Hey, did you maybe post in the wrong thread a few days ago? Maybe posting some RDR spoilers in the Vanquish thread? Maybe spoiling the ending for a lot of people? Maybe by mistake?

Maybe you should edit it?

Aspiring

not that i know of. Unless somebody signed in my account. But nobody i know has played RDR so does not know the ending. I always use spoiler tags. Please show post of said post? I know i didnt but curious. I would never do such a fucking dumb thing especially since i want people to enjoy the game as much as i did. In fact i have not even gone into the thread you have said i posted in.

Dead Man

Aspiring said:
not that i know of. Unless somebody signed in my account. But nobody i know has played RDR so does not know the ending. I always use spoiler tags. Please show post of said post? I know i didnt but curious. I would never do such a fucking dumb thing especially since i want people to enjoy the game as much as i did. In fact i have not even gone into the thread you have said i posted in.
The text was spoilered, but people thought it was a Vanquish spoiler, or a joke.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21656636&postcount=440

I don't think you did it intentionally, but a lot of people have read it. Just saying.

StuBurns said:

People can debate if this is Grand Theft Horse all they wish, but this is exactly what you would imagine a GTA as a western to be.

The biggest difference is the morality involved, but it's not that different that it'd make someone who hates the GTA game design I think.
I hated GTA, and I love this game.

Aspiring

Dead Man said:
The text was spoilered, but people thought it was a Vanquish spoiler, or a joke.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21656636&postcount=440

I don't think you did it intentionally, but a lot of people have read it. Just saying.

OH FUCK!!!! I Just noticed that i did as well i FEEL LIKE A FUCKING DOUCEBAG!!!!

I deleted it but i guess its too late. I am so fucking sorry. I didnt even click on that fucking thread. I must have though and not realised.

What the fuck have i done i feel like absolute shit right fucking now. FUCK!!!!!! I am so sorry gaf.

Dead Man

Aspiring said:
OH FUCK!!!! I Just noticed that i did as well i FEEL LIKE A FUCKING DOUCEBAG!!!!

I deleted it but i guess its too late. I am so fucking sorry. I didnt even click on that fucking thread. I must have though and not realised.

What the fuck have i done i feel like absolute shit right fucking now. FUCK!!!!!! I am so sorry gaf.
All good, it happens to everyone some times.

Hung Wei Lo

berserk_ftw said:
Tried the Most Wanted Trophy in Free Roam yesterday. 10 minutes on the roof in Armadillo and I knew, just when I hit the road, some player will appear and kill me. I hate it when I'm right. And it was just him and me on this session.

You can't do shit in Free Roam without someone after you and killing you every time you spawn.

Will give Free Roam another try, but if it sucks like yesterday, I don't see me getting more into it.

I feel your pain. I attempted this one last night too but at Macfarlane's Ranch..started off with me and some other low level dude...he ended up leaving, so I figured I was golden. At about a $800 bounty, a six man posse shows up, but they end up farming Soloman's Folly. As soon as I hit Public Enemy, I had this inkling that something was gunna fuck me up..and lo and behold, at the 9 minute mark, they all come charging in :(

StuBurns

Banned
Foxtastical said:
People are misunderstanding that post, I'm sure it's my fault for not wording it better. I meant you wouldn't like RDR if you don't like GTA because of the game design, because it is exactly the same, there are loads of reasons to like RDR and not GTA, but design is not one of them.

And yeah Aspiring, you spoiled it for me, asshat.

Shamrock

Banned
Foxtastical said:

I hated GTA also and probably played through 15% of the game. Red Dead I loved and couldn't get enough.

I think a lot of it had to do with the layout of the world. In GTA it was a pain traveling. Your in a crowded city, having to deal with traffic, having to deal with slowing down to turn, wrecking your car, getting another car, etc.. Then there was the whole starting the entire mission over if you die, etc...

In Red Dead it's so wide open, your constantly going full speed with the horse and not having to worry about traffic, breaking to turn, there are constant straightaways, and when you veer off the road your don't crash into a building.

Aspiring

StuBurns said:
People are misunderstanding that post, I'm sure it's my fault for not wording it better. I meant you wouldn't like RDR if you don't like GTA because of the game design, because it is exactly the same, there are loads of reasons to like RDR and not GTA, but design is not one of them.

And yeah Aspiring, you spoiled it for me, asshat.

Shit dude i am so sorry. I know dont what to say. I read through and some realised i fucked up others were pissed, and with good reason. I didnt edit it because i honestly did not realise, and due to time differences i probably posted it just before my bedtime or work, so could not edit. I cant believe i did such a fucking stupid thing. I am so ashamed and angry at myself for such a dumb thing. I am truly sorry.

StuBurns

Banned
Aspiring said:
Shit dude i am so sorry. I know dont what to say. I read through and some realised i fucked up others were pissed, and with good reason. I didnt edit it because i honestly did not realise, and due to time differences i probably posted it just before my bedtime or work, so could not edit. I cant believe i did such a fucking stupid thing. I am so ashamed and angry at myself for such a dumb thing. I am truly sorry.
No problem man, I was joking calling you an asshat, it was still spoiler tagged, no one had to look at it as someone brought up in the thread. I was pissed at the time but now I'm
back with John's family
, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far, I don't think knowing the ending is going to tarnish the experience.

Ramirez

I'm up to like 98.6%, with only Blackwater Poker/Game of Poker to win for the outfit and to beat the minigame once. I'm guessing the rest of it will be a few bounty missions, although I feel like I've done a ton of them in different locations.

I suck at Poker, have no idea how to play, so I tried to do the strategy someone mentioned on here about getting caught cheating and dueling people til there was only one guy left, but every time I duel and win the table glitches out and the guys will be sitting like 10 feet from it and the prompt will ask me to play, but when I hit B I can't sit down. :( Sometimes they just get up and leave the table entirely. :lol I've tried just disarming in the duel as well and the same thing happens.

Winning 5 Finger Fillet at Torquemeda was a pain as well, took me like an hour. :lol

Dead Man

Interfectum said:
I was so pissed when you spoiled it for me I dipped a bag full of puppies in battery acid.

j/k You didn't spoil it for me.
OMG!!! Joke spoilerz!!! :lol
Ramirez said:
I'm up to like 98.6%, with only Blackwater Poker/Game of Poker to win for the outfit and to beat the minigame once. I'm guessing the rest of it will be a few bounty missions, although I feel like I've done a ton of them in different locations.

I suck at Poker, have no idea how to play, so I tried to do the strategy someone mentioned on here about getting caught cheating and dueling people til there was only one guy left, but every time I duel and win the table glitches out and the guys will be sitting like 10 feet from it and the prompt will ask me to play, but when I hit B I can't sit down. :( Sometimes they just get up and leave the table entirely. :lol I've tried just disarming in the duel as well and the same thing happens.

Winning 5 Finger Fillet at Torquemeda was a pain as well, took me like an hour. :lol
If the don't raise after the flop (the first three cards), raise a little bit. They will either fold or call. If you have a decent hand, go all in. They will fold unless they have a full house or better most of the time.

Aspiring

StuBurns said:
No problem man, I was joking calling you an asshat, it was still spoiler tagged, no one had to look at it as someone brought up in the thread. I was pissed at the time but now I'm
back with John's family
, and I've enjoyed it a lot so far, I don't think knowing the ending is going to tarnish the experience.

Thats nice of you man thanks even though i am an asshat so no need to joke man. I realise though, that it is my fault even if it was spoilered, and i deserve what i get! I am truly sorry. Fuck me dead, i feel like a dick.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ramirez said:

I came up with a surefire (for me last night anyway) way of winning the high stakes poker.

First make a strong opening bet, like 250 or something. This is low enough to get most of the table to go in on the bet. For the next fround of betting go all in with the rest of your chips (or at least 700 if you have more than 1000). This will most likely scare off all the other players and make them fold, giving you ~1000 chips that they bet in the first round. Rinse and repeat!

I did this last night and won the high-stakes poker game in about 5 mins. Good luck man.

Also, if anyone is looking for skunks still, I found 12 in El Presido last night. I had spent about 3 hours looking for these fuckers and then I found a dozen within a minute of each other. Crazy.

All I have to do tonight for my 100% is two more bounties in Mexico and do all 5 American hideouts in 24 hours. It is easily the best requirements for 100% in a R* game, usually I get to around 80 and give up. I love how in RDR the requirements are definitely posible - it might take some time but you can do it easily. In GTA killing those stupid pigeons (I missed 1 - fuuuuuuuck!!) and doing the dumbass jumps is so hard because you have no clues on where to find them. In RDR it's much more apparent and therefore satisfying (IMO).

Ending was disappointing. First of all,
I hate points of no return. They exist in both Mass Effect games and exist right before the ranch in this game. I wanted to get my 100% with JOHN Marston, wearing the outfit that I preferred. Instead, I get stuck in the rancher's outfit and now I'm stuck with a goatee goon and no more John.

So that is retarded, and I wish someone told me that I should've made a save file before
all the ranch missions.

DryvBy

I love this game. Absolutely love it. My only complaint is that I can't play the mini-games in multiplayer (my only complaint in GTA 4's "posse" mode as well).

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this. I was traving around on my horse along the train tracks of Blackwater, and in the distance, 20 buffalo dropped from the sky. It just rained them down to the ground. It's like they spawned too high in the air or something. I managed to kill them all with my rifle, then I went to town and people started raining out of the sky.

As weird as that was, I decided to go hunt some more animals. Shot a bird, took it's feathers but the camera was glitched under the ground. When it came back up, John was half buried in the ground, then it rocketed him out of it (not too far out) but it was quite funny.

Just finished the game yesterday. So good... Possible GOTG (Uncharted 2 and Fallout 3 are the other contestants) for me. It's a pity now i'll have to go for the 100%
playing as Jack, who looks and sounds sucky even with the legend of the west outfit, but whatever
. Only disappointment I have with the game is the multiplayer, which from what I experienced is a complete mess. I'll have to play a bit more to make up my mind about it.

I still haven't completed the kill all species of animals trophy, but I've killed pretty much everything I ever saw moving, including those rare animals for the Legend of the West outfit. Do pigs and town dogs also count? I haven't killed those yet.

Seanbob11

Has anyone been roaming south of Blackwater, seeing
A man over a woman's (wife?) corpse, crying and pulling a revolver up to his head and killing himself?
Pretty powerful stuff, really made me think.

DryvBy

Tiagomnh said:
I still haven't completed the kill all species of animals trophy, but I've killed pretty much everything I ever saw moving, including those rare animals for the Legend of the West outfit. Do pigs and town dogs also count? I haven't killed those yet.

Nope. Just the wild animals. Domestic/farm animals do not count. Google a trophy/achievement guide and it will show you what to kill.

Moobabe

Seanbob11 said:
Has anyone been roaming south of Blackwater, seeing
A man over a woman's (wife?) corpse, crying and pulling a revolver up to his head and killing himself?
Pretty powerful stuff, really made me think.

Those are the little things I love about the game - I didn't see that but I saw
a man get off his horse and urinate against a cactus...

hulot

DryvBy2 said:
I love this game. Absolutely love it. My only complaint is that I can't play the mini-games in multiplayer (my only complaint in GTA 4's "posse" mode as well).

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this. I was traving around on my horse along the train tracks of Blackwater, and in the distance, 20 buffalo dropped from the sky. It just rained them down to the ground. It's like they spawned too high in the air or something. I managed to kill them all with my rifle, then I went to town and people started raining out of the sky.

As weird as that was, I decided to go hunt some more animals. Shot a bird, took it's feathers but the camera was glitched under the ground. When it came back up, John was half buried in the ground, then it rocketed him out of it (not too far out) but it was quite funny.
I had a glitch where all the wagons would jump up and down constantly. I was also attempting to complete the Mexican Wagon Robbery mission during this session but because of this glitch could never actually commandeer the wagons. On one attempt, one wagon flew straight up into the air causing me to automatically fail because it 'got away'. Restarting the 360 solved the problem.

Tricky I Shadow said:
With the DLC you get with the Limited Edition, can I change the golden guns and costume whenever I want?

Yes

The Lamonster said:
Ending was disappointing. First of all,
I hate points of no return. They exist in both Mass Effect games and exist right before the ranch in this game. I wanted to get my 100% with JOHN Marston, wearing the outfit that I preferred. Instead, I get stuck in the rancher's outfit and now I'm stuck with a goatee goon and no more John.

So that is retarded, and I wish someone told me that I should've made a save file before
all the ranch missions.

You can wear all the unlocked outfits regardless. You don't lose anything because of it

DeadGzuz

Banned
Few notes from last night.

1. Don't lasso the town dog, everyone goes ballistic and kills you.

2. After they killed me from the dog lasso-ing (in Mexico), I respawned back on the American side, WTF?

3. They should have put the map on select and moved that menu to the start menu. Fast travel should also be on the map, not just text, who memorizes all the town names and where they are relative to each other?

4. My horse, the one from Bonnie, walked off a cliff in front of me and died. I had that horse for 25+ story missions. Why did it suicide, what did I do wrong? :D

DeadGzuz said:
Few notes from last night.

1. Don't lasso the town dog, everyone goes ballistic and kills you.

2. After they killed me from the dog lasso-ing (in Mexico), I respawned back on the American side, WTF?

3. They should have put the map on select and moved that menu to the start menu. Fast travel should also be on the map, not just text, who memorizes all the town names and where they are relative to each other?

4. My horse, the one from Bonnie, walked off a cliff in front of me and died. I had that horse for 25+ story missions. Why did it suicide, what did I do wrong? :D
I did. It's not hard!

*ENDING SPOILERS* So, I assume Rockstar
recorded all the Stranger mission dialogue with Jack Marston so I'll still be able to finish them after completing the main storyline?

The Lamonster said:
I did. It's not hard!

recorded all the Stranger mission dialogue with Jack Marston so I'll still be able to finish them after completing the main storyline?

Your assumption is correct

Haunted

The Lamonster said:
I did. It's not hard!

Yes.

Spoilers: (reveal one at a time)
Great ending and a great way to let you continue and 100% the thing. If you really really want to play with John, read on:

YOU CAN'T, HE'S DEAD.

It's in line with one of the game's major themes: life isn't fair. :p

Haunted said:
Yes.

Spoilers: (reveal one at a time)
Great ending and a great way to let you continue and 100% the thing. If you really really want to play with John, read on:

YOU CAN'T, HE'S DEAD.

It's in line with one of the game's major themes: life isn't fair. :p
They seriously better give us a prequel or something. John Marston was one awesome character.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DeadGzuz said:

I think you respawn at the last safehouse you saved at? Not like GTA where you just spawn at the nearest hospital.

Haunted

The Lamonster said:
They seriously better give us a prequel or something. John Marston was one awesome character.
Nah,
let it end on a high note, let him go out as an awesome character.

There are too many interesting new stories to tell to concentrate on the same guy again.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
StuBurns said:

I feel that GTA: San Andreas is the most overrated game I've ever played. Plays like ass covered in toothpaste and has the game design credentials of a shaved water buffalo. But it has a really big world, so that impresses people. It's like a 5-year old who wrote a 100-page doctoral thesis in crayon.

RDR is certainly a better game than SA. Much more polished overall. I don't feel like it deserves all the praise it's been getting, it has its fair share of flaws to be sure, but it's a million times better than SA.

Haunted said:
Nah,
let it end on a high note, let him go out as an awesome character.

There are too many interesting new stories to tell to concentrate on the same guy again.
So what do you guys think is next for Rockstar San Diego, anyway? I would love something with the same formula but set in Medieval times or based on Pirates or something else period-based.

Omg the "How the West was Won" achievement is pissing me off. Only level 34 and I am growing tired of farming Twin Rocks. It's my last achievement too. :(

Though I am beginning to wonder if getting all my achievement points really matters. I have no real way of showing my score to you GAFers.

mauaus

2 questions:

1. Is the Hungarian Half-bred better than my trusty Kentucky Sadler?
2. Im trying to get the reyes outfit and im only missing purchasing from the store at Escalera but its not there... Do i have to get past a certain point in the story to be able to do so?

Thanks!

mauaus said:
2 questions:

1. Is the Hungarian Half-bred better than my trusty Kentucky Sadler?
2. Im trying to get the reyes outfit and im only missing purchasing from the store at Escalera but its not there... Do i have to get past a certain point in the story to be able to do so?

Thanks!

1) The Half-bred is the strongest, but slowest out of the top 3. The Sadler is in the middle of the top 3. I prefer the Half-bred myself.

2) Yup, it'll be available later. Edit: It'll be purchasable after you finish the mission named
An Appointed Time

Top Bottom