• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Aurora

mauaus said:
2 questions:

1. Is the Hungarian Half-bred better than my trusty Kentucky Sadler?
2. Im trying to get the reyes outfit and im only missing purchasing from the store at Escalera but its not there... Do i have to get past a certain point in the story to be able to do so?

Thanks!
1. Hungarian half-bred is slightly slower but more bulky (i.e. can take more hits/survive a fall from further up). I'd say stick with the Kentucky until you can get the American Standard.
2. Yes you do. Won't spoil it for you but a big event happens in Mexico and you'll know when it does. After that it will be in the shops.

Solo

The Lamonster said:
So what do you guys think is next for Rockstar San Diego, anyway? I would love something with the same formula but set in Medieval times or based on Pirates or something else period-based.

Er, RDR2? Hello?!

Hung Wei Lo said:
I feel your pain. I attempted this one last night too but at Macfarlane's Ranch..started off with me and some other low level dude...he ended up leaving, so I figured I was golden. At about a $800 bounty, a six man posse shows up, but they end up farming Soloman's Folly. As soon as I hit Public Enemy, I had this inkling that something was gunna fuck me up..and lo and behold, at the 9 minute mark, they all come charging in :(

I found the easiest place to do the Most Wanted trophy/achievement was at El Presidio in Mexico. Obviously it's best to do this while other players are up in New Austin. Inside the base there's some TNT in the back of a few wagons. Shoot one and that'll give you a bounty (or just toss some TNT if you have it). Man the mounted gun right beside the main gate and gun down the Mexican army until you have your required bounty. If another player uses the fast travel to get to you before you can make your escape from the base, they'll end up right in front of your mounted gun, so take them out then try to escape from the back/side door. and just ride around Mexico non-stop.

Luckily when I did it, they left me alone for a while, so I tried to hide in the nunnery until the Mexican army found me and I had to shoot my way out of there. The other players didn't come after me until later and by then I was already riding around free as a bird.

Easily my game of this generation. Rarely do games stories get me emotionally connected and make me think about them long after I'm done. I keep on thinking about events that happened in the game and how they connected to the end. Hell, it may go down as my favorite game ever.

I took Jack into his parents bedroom and I swear he wiped a tear away from his eyes. Just a nice touch

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Rflagg said:
Anybody have a tip for
hunting challenge number 8 killing a bear with a knife
. It is giving a bit of trouble so far only cussing an a very close call until more came on the scene.
Shoot them in the leg around 4 times with a repeater....then start chasing them as they run away. Watch out for others though....they like to sneak up on you.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Rflagg said:
Yes they do, link contains spoilers duh http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/100%_Completion

Anybody have a tip for
. It is giving a bit of trouble so far only cussing an a very close call until more came on the scene.

Yeah take a couple of shots at it with a revolver. Dodge it as it runs by you. Turn and dead eye lasso it to slow it down. Then run up behind and start slashing. I didn't use this strategy when I needed to but have tried it after reading about it here.
I just wound up dancing in a circle behind the bear and slashing when I got close enough.

You will know if you have hurt the bear a decent amount because a lot of times they start running away from you. Hence the lasso to slow the bugger down.

Rflagg

xxracerxx said:
Shoot them in the leg around 4 times with a repeater....then start chasing them as they run away. Watch out for others though....they like to sneak up on you.
Thanks much, I was stuck thinking it all had to be with the melee knife

Edit:^^Even better thanks:D

Rflagg said:
Yes they do, link contains spoilers duh http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/100%_Completion

Anybody have a tip for
The bear takes 9 shots to the body with the High Powered Pistol to bring down. So what you need to do is blast him eight times with the pistol, then switch to your knife. To make things a bit easier, remain on your horse, you can still hit him with your knife while riding, and the extra speed (to circle it) and hit that you can take will come in handy. Should take between 2-4 hits to bring it down.

Klocker

Truant said:
What? I hated GTAIV, but I absolutely love this.

I didn't hate GTA but certainly was no fan after the atmosphere wore off (quit playing long before completing)... and RDR is my GOAT.

So much more fun to play and less irritating, more control, better gun play and better story-line and side questing.

SamuraiX-

The_Inquisitor said:
Omg the "How the West was Won" achievement is pissing me off. Only level 34 and I am growing tired of farming Twin Rocks. It's my last achievement too. :(

Though I am beginning to wonder if getting all my achievement points really matters. I have no real way of showing my score to you GAFers.

The one where you need to score 10 assists in a single gang hideout is pissing me off.

An assist is when you see a score of $2 pop up on your screen, right? This is, of course when you shoot an enemy at least once and a teammate finishes him off. So why the fuck do I see 10-15 $2 scores keep popping up, yet it only rewards me with like 2-3 assists by the end of the gang hideout.

ARGH!
3d-mad.gif

Vinci

Danish
I might be able to come on and play multi - total noob, btw - Sunday at some point. Looking forward to it, actually. Just hope I don't get mauled by higher-level folks the whole damn time.

shermas

any tips for the online? i'm finishing up the SP now and have played MP for about 5 minutes (rode my donkey to tall trees and was mauled by a bear in no time)... any help for a newb?

Truant

Rockstar seriously need to fix the constant pop in of large objects ten feet in front of you.

The desert stuff looks amazing, and some of the towns do OK, like Bonnie's Farm. Tall Trees is just a joke compared to the amazing forests in Alan Wake. Trees literally appear out of nowhere right in front of you. Blackwater also has some issues here.

StuBurns

Banned
Menelaus said:
And I just had the ending spoiled for me. Now I'm not sure I even want to finish it (just got to mexico).
Unlike a GTA, the best is yet to come. Even if you don't like the ending, you haven't even nearly seen the best the game has to offer.

StuBurns

Banned
Flower collecting for stranger mission AND END GAME spoilers below.

I just want to check, because I didn't finish that mission until I was Jack, and his wife was crazy dead. I gather she always would have been, but I guess it's been a few years since John made that commitment, and she could have possibly died in that time, but I would think not.

Jonm1010

Banned
So what do you all think of the chance that we will see downloadable content that expands the map?

Also my only real complaint. I feel like the world wasnt nearly as big as it was hyped to be. I understand geographically the map is bigger than fallout or Oblivion but those games just felt more awe inspiring and larger due to the amount of areas, and places you could explore....

The game so far is really good but I feel a lack of awe and adventure canvassing the world unlike the way I did with Oblivion or Fallout.... I dont know how to explain it but the world just doesnt 'feel' as big and grandiose as those others despite its geographical size being such.

Pennybags

StuBurns said:
Flower collecting for stranger mission spoilers below.

I just want to check, because I didn't finish that mission until I was Jack, and his wife was crazy dead. I gather she always would have been, but I guess it's been a few years since John made that commitment, and she could have possibly died in that time, but I would think not.

She is dead, even if you finish the mission as John. It would have been a fuck awesome detail, though, if the ending differed with Jack.

Seanbob11 said:
Has anyone been roaming south of Blackwater, seeing
A man over a woman's (wife?) corpse, crying and pulling a revolver up to his head and killing himself?
Pretty powerful stuff, really made me think.
I've played this game so much, and have still yet to see this one. I really want to find it and try to
shoot the gun out of the dude's hand before he can turn it on himself, take the ammo, and then ride off laughing. No escape for you!

Klocker

StuBurns said:
Flower collecting for stranger mission AND END GAME spoilers below.

damn... read it before you put the End Game spoiler tag because I had completed the flower mission... feck me! and I have been doing so well to avoid them taking my time with hours upon hours of game play. :lol

Damn removed subscription for thread... :(

StuBurns

Banned
Klocker said:
damn... read it before you put the End Game spoiler tag because I had completed the flower mission... feck me! and I have been doing so well to avoid them taking my time with hours upon hours of game play. :lol

Damn removed subscription for thread... :(
So sorry man, I wrote the warning before I wrote the post and didn't know I was going to include anything else. It lacks any context so hopefully it won't really be a spoiler.

Filldough

Mike Works said:
I've played this game so much, and have still yet to see this one. I really want to find it and try to
shoot the gun out of the dude's hand before he can turn it on himself, take the ammo, and then ride off laughing. No escape for you!

You sir are someone I could get along with.
sicker fucker! :lol

Top Bottom