• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Tailzo said:
Quick question;

• I can't play online with my 360
  • But I've heard the ps3 version has slightly worse graphics (I wasn't able to see this myself though)

Is online fun enough to get the game on ps3?
Online is great. You should check out some live streams on JTV or something to see if you'll like it. It's obviously more fun if you have people you know playing too, which makes co-op play much better.

MNC said:
How indepth is character customization? Is it choosing outfits or can you mix and match clothes/hats/etc?
The former. I think there are 15 outfits in total. You can wear a bandanna which looks pretty kickass, but it's not primarily there for character customisation, it has another purpose.

MNC

Mechanical Snowman said:
The former. I think there are 15 outfits in total. You can wear a bandanna which looks pretty kickass, but it's not primarily there for character customisation, it has another purpose.
Alright, thanks. I think I've finally gathered enough info to buy this game :lol

Unnatural Selection Trophy/Achievement

I'm having trouble with this. I think I've killed every needed animal but it still hasn't unlocked. I've recorded a video of my stats page. Can anyone compare it with their own (if they've unlocked this achievement/trophy) I know for some it is glitched but I'm hoping I've missed one out here. The annoying thing is it unlocks for some when they kill x amount of horses, or x amount of x. I don't want to have to kill e.g. 10 of each animal in the hope it unlocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBYihYIoW64

Dead Man

Meus Renaissance said:
Is there a 'Wild Horse' reference in your stats page mate? I've killed what I thought were Wildhorses but it just shows up as Horses on mine.
There is no separate stat for wild horses as far as i can remember, but any horse without a saddle should count.

Dead Man said:
There is no separate stat for wild horses as far as i can remember, but any horse without a saddle should count.

Well if that's the case then there is no way I am going to kill 30 of each species, and even then, hope that I unlock it.

Solo

Meus Renaissance said:
Well if that's the case then there is no way I am going to kill 30 of each species, and even then, hope that I unlock it.

Where is this 30 stuff coming from? You need to kill ONE of each.

blanky

Dead Man said:

There is, it pops up when you kill one. Just go to those places on the map where there should be wild horses and shoot some.

Also ducks and seagulls.

panda21

how come
when i first went to mexico and met the gunslinger guy, it 'upgraded' my dead eye thing, but the only difference I can tell is that its now worse, because I have to target everything with R1, when before I'd get the little red crosses appearing just by having the reticule move over something? like i could enter dead eye and then just swing it across a bunch of bad guys and they'd all get targeted and then press R2 to nail them all, now when i move the reticule over them nothing happens and i have to press R1 every time to place the little Xs on them?!?! also do the horses carry over when you go to mexico or do you need to buy the deed? i thought the horses were supposed to be different in each region buy maybe i heard wrong

Solo said:
Where is this 30 stuff coming from? You need to kill ONE of each.

My original question was whether or not anyone could confirm if I have killed one of each (with the video provided) because to me, I did, however the achievement did not unlock. I browsed the net and found others had similar issues. Some examples were that one guy got the achievement after he killed 4 wildhorses. Another after he killed "several" elks. What it shows is that the achievement is glitched and unlocks after an unspecified amount of an unspecified species is killed. So I could kill 10 of each and it may still not unlock.

Guevara

Meus Renaissance said:

I'm having trouble with this. I think I've killed every needed animal but it still hasn't unlocked. I've recorded a video of my stats page. Can anyone compare it with their own (if they've unlocked this achievement/trophy) I know for some it is glitched but I'm hoping I've missed one out here. The annoying thing is it unlocks for some when they kill x amount of horses, or x amount of x. I don't want to have to kill e.g. 10 of each animal in the hope it unlocks.

You should check under "Misc" in Stats: there's a stat called Types of Animals Killed or something and the number should be 26 to get the achievement. You do not have to skin any animals to get this achievement, but Wild Horses ARE different than Domestic Horses (for this purpose) so you need to kill one. I had 23 of 26 last night and needed to kill a Big Horn, a Seagull and a "Wild" Horse.

Hung Wei Lo

Meus Renaissance said:

looks like you're missing
..chicken, dog and mule..

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Do you have Blackwater Seagull, as you can only find them in Blackwater.

Wiggum2007

panda21 said:
how come
when i first went to mexico and met the gunslinger guy, it 'upgraded' my dead eye thing, but the only difference I can tell is that its now worse, because I have to target everything with R1, when before I'd get the little red crosses appearing just by having the reticule move over something? like i could enter dead eye and then just swing it across a bunch of bad guys and they'd all get targeted and then press R2 to nail them all, now when i move the reticule over them nothing happens and i have to press R1 every time to place the little Xs on them?!?! also do the horses carry over when you go to mexico or do you need to buy the deed? i thought the horses were supposed to be different in each region buy maybe i heard wrong

Because it's better that way. :p Seriously though having the game decide I should waste 6 bullets on a dude and his horse when I just want to cap him with a shot or two, or getting into a firefight in a populated area and constantly targeting civilians by accident, was incredibly annoying. I'm not quite sure what the last question is asking, but you can still whistle for your old horse when you get to Mexico. Just don't do it when you first arrive there if you don't want to miss the song, heh. And each of the three best horse breeds is exclusive to one of the three areas.

Guevara said:
You should check under "Misc" in Stats: there's a stat called Types of Animals Killed or something and the number should be 26 to get the achievement. You do not have to skin any animals to get this achievement, but Wild Horses ARE different than Domestic Horses (for this purpose) so you need to kill one. I had 23 of 26 last night and needed to kill a Big Horn, a Seagull and a "Wild" Horse.

Thanks, I got it now. What I realised is some of your kills referenced in Collectibles (when you've skinned them) doesn't register as an actual kill sometimes as shown in Misc. I skinned all the animals, e.g. Bighorns and yet it didn't show that in Misc. This is the reason for the confusion. Thanks again

Hung Wei Lo said:
looks like you're missing
..chicken, dog and mule..

They're actually not part of the needed kills

kaskade

Still haven't finished the main story. I've been doing the ambient challenged. I just need to pick a few more flowers then kill
the legendary bear and wolf.
I want that outfit.

Beat it last night. One of the best endings in any game.

Waited to get Master Hunter Rank 10 till after
you become Jack.
Very pleasing.

Feel like a pimp in my Legend of the West outfit, but I feel guilty I cheated on one or two treasures. :lol

Rflagg

Rflagg said:
I will try, but
I noticed 0/3 credit/progress and journal still says kill the wolf even though I have all his parts. 8(
Update incase it happens to others
I killed the bear and boar then sold lobo wolf parts wolf reappered and I got the update. quest for 100% back on

Is there any way to check which bounties you have done and not done yet? Social club keeps messing up. Also, it's possible to do the same one more than once isn't it?

KilgoreTrout said:
but I feel guilty I cheated on one or two treasures. :lol

I only cheated on the first one because I had no idea what I was looking for... I went to places where it looked like you could draw the map from that perspective, but it never worked. "Okay, so if the treasure can be seen from a point where the noose is on the right side of the tree, and behind three rocks..."

I honestly was wondering if I needed a shovel or something to dig with! :lol

Once I knew I was looking for piles of white rocks, and that the drawings represented only general locations and not specific drawing perspectives, I was able to do the rest.

Dizzle24

Got 100% completion! :D

Had to look up what I could have possibly been missing when I finished the game at 99.0%...

Aztec Gold stranger mission and Complete all U.S. Gang hideouts in 24 game hours/Marshal Uniform

Sad that I am finished with the game. I do have a few single player trophies to complete.
My "game of the forever" for sure.

Hung Wei Lo

Guevara said:
Damn I wish Rockstar would fix the Social Club stats. I've about 95% done and it would be great to see what I'm missing instead of going through the game menus and comparing it to reddead.wikia.com :lol
:(

I wish R* would fix the game. I've noticed that as I've progressed through the game, the glitches and freezing has gotten worse. I finally got the soundtrack last week. Still having issues with the Deadly Assassin's outfit - but I don't give a shit anymore - game's at 100%

I'm considering giving up on this game due to freezing, however. I've attempted this god damn "Most Wanted" trophy at least a dozen times... 1/2 of them failing due to damn douchebags ganging up on a solo player and the rest due to the game freezing on me. I've had it freeze in the process of gaining Public Enemy status, in the 10 minute waiting period, and hell, just a few minutes ago while I was just about to lose my wanted level...

fix this shit, R*

Drahcir

I've held onto an extra Golden Gun code since release day and I'd really like to get the War Horse or Deadly Assassin outfit. If anyone has either and wants to trade, I'd appreciate it. :D

I'm on 99.5% and can't figure out what I haven't done. I've done 4 bounties in West Elizabeth, 8 in New Ausin and 8 in Mexico, have 13 houses, done all stranger quests, all Marksmen, Survival, Hunting and Treasure challenges, I have all outfits, locations, rare weapons, have done all the jobs, all gang hideouts and have completed the game story missions. What else is there?

Dizzle24

Bungieware said:
I'm on 99.5% and can't figure out what I haven't done. I've done 4 bounties in West Elizabeth, 8 in New Ausin and 8 in Mexico, have 13 houses, done all stranger quests, all Marksmen, Survival, Hunting and Treasure challenges, I have all outfits, locations, rare weapons, have done all the jobs, all gang hideouts and have completed the game story missions. What else is there?
19 stranger quests total. Did you do "aztec gold" in Sidewinder Gulch? And the stranger mission in blackwater after the final mission? "aztec gold" didn't appear for me until after i completed the game.

not happy that you can't do
the I know you quest
after the game ends.
I heard you still keep playing after the ending so I assumed I could do it then. Didn't realize that John dies and you can't do it after that. Maybe its something they should have made mandatory that you just stumble upon, at least the first time, because I think it could radically change your opinion on what happened.

I'm thinking perhaps everything is purgatory. John may have been killed by Bill at the start of the game. When John dies hes finally achieved Redemption. But then having it focus on Jack afterwards flies in the face of that. I guess they left it open to interpretation on purpose.

TheFallen

Lionel Mandrake said:
Poker would be so much easier if I knew how to play it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Haven't played since back in the early college days, forgotten now. :lol

My girlfriend has to tell me what to do.

Ding

StuBurns said:
It's literally when you first get on the horse after you get off the raft. If you get off the horse again it'll stop though.
Huh. I didn't hear any special music. Although I don't think I rode the horse that was waiting there. I whistled up my Saddler...

No matter. That area is so infested with wolves, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the music anyway.

Dead Man

Ding said:
Huh. I didn't hear any special music. Although I don't think I rode the horse that was waiting there. I whistled up my Saddler...

No matter. That area is so infested with wolves, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy the music anyway.
I think it only plays if you take the horse that is there. It seems like the actions required for it are way to specific, Rockstar should have made it play no matter what.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Meus Renaissance said:
They're actually not part of the needed kills

Chicken, dog and mule are needed for the achievement. I have 100% in the game and didn't get the achievement until I shot the mule (my last animal on the list).

Truelize said:
Chicken, dog and mule are needed for the achievement. I have 100% in the game and didn't get the achievement until I shot the mule (my last animal on the list).

I can confirm as well. Had to shoot a pig, a mule, and a wild horse to get the achievement.

Truelize said:

I did not kill a dog, don't think I killed a mule either.

Last thing I was missing was a wild horse.

Also did not kill any cattle (other than with poor herding, don't get "credit" for that though).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Really looking forward to playing some more of this soon now that Alan Wake is out of the way and I have a nice couple months of break time to really sink into it.

Ding said:

But when the music plays you will not get attacked by anything, its a special moment :D

SamuraiX- said:
In case anyone hasn't seen it yet... The Zero Punctuation Red Dead Redemption review.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1776-Red-Dead-Redemption

Most of you should get a good laugh out of this. :D No story spoilers.
aypmix.jpg

:lol Nailed it.

He shouldn't have rambled on about the auto-aim though, you can turn it off you know.

Top Bottom