• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

vhfive said:
Has anyone done Master Hunter II - Rank 4. It's the one where
one have to kill the legendary jaguar "Khan". I must have killed at least 50 cougars (using all of my ammo for all my guns) in the red circle and he still didn't show up. Is there something you need to do to gat him to show up?

He literally rushed me the SECOND I walked into the red circle. The whole thing was over in less than 5 seconds with my Buffalo Rifle. I don't know what your problem could be.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm debating getting this game. I was kind of meh w/ GTAIV, but it was OK. Is RDR better?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ermac said:
I'm debating getting this game. I was kind of meh w/ GTAIV, but it was OK. Is RDR better?
ah, I'd maybe rent it?

I feel similar about GTA4, and while I'm not done with RDR, there is at least six hours worth of awesome content in this, but I'm not sure whether or not I'm about to stick it out to the end.

Ermac said:
I was the same way at first but I was impressed by all the GAF hype so I took a risk and ended up loving it. Now I'm going for 100%, at 95.3% now. I've never gotten past 50-75% in a GTA game, or even cared about my percentage.

Trying to get 100% and having issues with bounties, can you guys help me?

During the course of the regular game I did two bounties in New Austin and 2 in Mexico.

Now in the after game, I just did two more bounties in New Austin, at two different locations.

My problem is, my stat didn't go up. It still says I've only done two in NA. What's up with that? Do you not get credit if you kill them? What if you fast travel back to where you got the bounty from? The other weird thing is it says I have 3 dead and 3 alive, but then it still says 2 for NA and 2 for Mexico. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Neuromancer said:
Trying to get 100% and having issues with bounties, can you guys help me?

During the course of the regular game I did two bounties in New Austin and 2 in Mexico.

Now in the after game, I just did two more bounties in New Austin, at two different locations.

My problem is, my stat didn't go up. It still says I've only done two in NA. What's up with that? Do you not get credit if you kill them? What if you fast travel back to where you got the bounty from? The other weird thing is it says I have 3 dead and 3 alive, but then it still says 2 for NA and 2 for Mexico. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

You might be repeating the locations you have already done, if you get a bounty for hanging rock and complete it that counts as 1, if you go and get another bounty and its hanging rock again then it will still only count as 1.

Doesn't matter if you kill them or take them in alive, you can't fast travel back can you seeing as you are always chased by the bountys friends? (Cant confirm if this effects it)

I finished the game yesterday and am still a sad Panda now !

Love the time setting and overall feel of the game , i took my time and traveled a lot by horse , lots of crazy things happening underway and that just felt so good .
Still have some things to do and i hope for lots of add ons in the near future , GOTY contender for me and nr. 1 by far .

AMUSIX

Finished the game yesterday. I'll say out front that I really enjoyed the game, and thought so many parts were done well (the sky was phenominal). However, this post is more to address criticisms I had with it.

First: The GTA mission structure (meet contact, do a number of missions, get passed to a new contact) hurt this game more than anything else. There are a number of truly great characters, and every last one of them is only transient because of the game structure. It really killed any potential emotional involvement.

Second: The villians...Wow, another victim of the GTA structure. You barely see them, and suddenly you're in the 'boss battles'. Heck, one of the 'bosses' you don't even meet until you kill him. And what could have been one of the greatest villains in gaming doesn't even show up until the third act.

Finally: The traffic. Holy crap, what were they thinking? Members of the dev team regularly shop at my store, and I know this is the criticism I'll be bringing up with them. Every single trail has multiple travelers on it. I shouldn't pass five groups of people between the McFarlane's and Armadillo. Nothing kills the feeling of the open wilderness if you're never alone.

As for the end:
I liked the structure... >kill dutch>become a rancher>get attacked and killed>son avenges father....but the execution was very weak.
Dutch's death should have been a big moment, but he was introduced way too late. There's simply no connection with the character, and no reason why I wouldn't have just put a bullet in his head, especially after the bank scene. Dutch should have been in the story from the start...heck, don't even make him an enemy at the beginning, just your old leader, goading you into something he's putting together 'up north'. His 'eco-craziness' was also way underexplained.

John's death was just ridiculous...why didn't he just go with Abagail and Jack? They were able to ride quite a distance from the ranch before they heard the shots. Also, the game does something a lot of games are guilty of. I've just spent hours being a one-man army. I've single-handedly taken down entire fortresses filled with dozens of men. Heck, I've JUST killed half of the military division sent to get me. And now I'm up against 20 men, on my home turf...and the game wants me to believe that John wouldn't be able to handle them?
What's even worse, is that all 20 men are lined up just outside my barn...on one side of it. If I go out the back, I can just walk away, and they won't see me (they didn't see my wife and kid).
So why does John just walk out in front of them all? There is no purpose to it at all.

And my final criticism of the end...Jack. At first I liked Jack's character. Oh, he was an annoying brat of a teenager, but I could understand it. I understood the need to have missions showing John reaching out to his son. Their relationship should have grown. Instead, after saving my boy's life from a bear, all I hear on the ride home is Jack's bitching about how it doesn't matter, because I'm just going to leave. I seriously wanted to just shoot myself when the game had me take over as him. It doesn't help that his voice matures little, if at all, and he remains a whiny bitch.

OK, guess those are my big complaints about the game. I'm still playing it to 100%, which is something I very rarely do. And I still think the game is great, possibly one of the best of the year so far. Heck, the world alone could guarantee that (Tall Trees is one of the most incredible locales in ANY game).
Hmmm..that brings me to another complaint...the world isn't used enough. There are some amazing locations that just aren't used at all...but I guess that's part of the reward for exploration.

AMUSIX said:
John's death was just ridiculous...why didn't he just go with Abagail and Jack? They were able to ride quite a distance from the ranch before they heard the shots. Also, the game does something a lot of games are guilty of. I've just spent hours being a one-man army. I've single-handedly taken down entire fortresses filled with dozens of men. Heck, I've JUST killed half of the military division sent to get me. And now I'm up against 20 men, on my home turf...and the game wants me to believe that John wouldn't be able to handle them?
What's even worse, is that all 20 men are lined up just outside my barn...on one side of it. If I go out the back, I can just walk away, and they won't see me (they didn't see my wife and kid).
So why does John just walk out in front of them all? There is no purpose to it at all.
It made sense to me.
I think John did what he did because he figured his family would never be safe from The Man as long as he himself was still alive. So I figured he just walked into his death to make sure his family is never bothered again.

Dead Man

AMUSIX said:
Yeah, I agree with most of that. As I've said elsewhere, I think the game succeeds in spite of R*, as much as because of them. I have no complaint with the traffic thing or the ending, really, but other than that, and especially the way the characters are incidental, you really hit the mark. If the story arc had been presented a bit differently, and the old gang members used more effectively, I think it could have been amazing.

Still a great game. I am thinking about starting a third playthrough now that I have 100%! :lol

Shin_Kojima said:
It made sense to me.
I think John did what he did because he figured his family would never be safe from The Man as long as he himself was still alive. So I figured he just walked into his death to make sure his family is never bothered again.

This was obvious ,
There was no way they would ever leave him or his family alone or stop hunting him down

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
RDR is the game GTA4 *should* have been.

RDR is a great game yes but it's really nothing like GTA4. Things like cars and busy streets change the very nature of the game. GTA4 could not have been anything like RDR (and I love both games but this arguement is odd).

AMUSIX

Shin_Kojima said:
It made sense to me.
I suppose,
but he knew who was pulling the strings. I'd peg John more as the type to strap on his guns and ride out again (something he promised his family he woudln't do, which is where you could get the emotional hit) to go take care of the government men once and for all

Also, am I off on this? (middle-of the game spoilers...ok for anyone who has reached blackwater)
Is there not a single likable Mexican? Reyes is a self-loving womanizing ass, Allende is despicable, even Luisa is pathetically misguided. The only character in Mexico that's really likable is Ricketts, and he's a transplanted American

AMUSIX said:
I suppose,
but he knew who was pulling the strings. I'd peg John more as the type to strap on his guns and ride out again (something he promised his family he woudln't do, which is where you could get the emotional hit) to go take care of the government men once and for all

They did not want him working for them again ,
they wanted to kill him off as last of the gang members so he would have to take on the entire US army alone and protecting his family from them !
That would be impossible

Arcipello

finally finished after 40 or so hours of gaming:)

Loved the whole chapter with the family after you face Dutch, one thing that slightly bugged me was the fact that just before i was gunned down infront of the barn i used that brief Dead eye moment to gun down all the government men including Ross, all head shots...but alas it was not meant to be:(

TheUsual

Gold Member
Wellington said:
Alright I managed to do the cougar challenge so I have the rifle. I thought any sniper rifle would do, but when those fuckers are charging it's hard to focus on a headshot.

I'm consistently getting killed by groups of cougars as I search for red sage trying to help Kid Icarus in Mexico. :|

Also, where are the beavers? Been looking around Aurora Basin and haven't seen any.

The best place where I found groups (3 to 4 at one time) was along the river bank north of the Great Plains. The most northern river on the map (top right area). Thats where I had the best of luck.

Now that they nerfed gang hideouts, is anyone motivated to get to lvl 50? I think I am just not going to get that achievement. I just can't seem to grind like I used to.

Dead Man

The_Inquisitor said:
Now that they nerfed gang hideouts, is anyone motivated to get to lvl 50? I think I am just not going to get that achievement. I just can't seem to grind like I used to.
Yeah, I'm at 38, and really struggling. They should have made more instances to use, with only 7 or 8 locations, they get pretty stale, and when there is so little reward...

kyo_daikun said:
You might be repeating the locations you have already done, if you get a bounty for hanging rock and complete it that counts as 1, if you go and get another bounty and its hanging rock again then it will still only count as 1.

Doesn't matter if you kill them or take them in alive, you can't fast travel back can you seeing as you are always chased by the bountys friends? (Cant confirm if this effects it)
Thanks but that is not the case. I know for a fact I did one bounty in Hanging Rock and one in Rattlesnake Hollow. I literally just did another bounty at Mercer station but under stats it still says I've only done two locations.

Fuck this stupid game. I'm at 97.9% and I don't know if its a glitch or what, but my bounty locations aren't going up and I guess I'll never get 100%.

ckohler

Neuromancer said:
Thanks but that is not the case. I know for a fact I did one bounty in Hanging Rock and one in Rattlesnake Hollow. I literally just did another bounty at Mercer station but under stats it still says I've only done two locations.

Fuck this stupid game. I'm at 97.9% and I don't know if its a glitch or what, but my bounty locations aren't going up and I guess I'll never get 100%.

My recommendation is to always bring the bounties back alive. I'm positive I repeated one or two locations with bounties that had no name (faceless ones with "???") and even those still counted towards my total as long as I brought them back alive. So, just bring them back alive and you should be okay. Besides, the gangs will hunt you on your way back whether you hogtie the dude or not so you might as well.

ckohler said:
My recommendation is to always bring the bounties back alive. I'm positive I repeated one or two locations with bounties that had no name (faceless ones with "???") and even those still counted towards my total as long as I brought them back alive. So, just bring them back alive and you should be okay. Besides, the gangs will hunt you on your way back whether you hogtie the dude or not so you might as well.
Yeah that's what I thought I'd do... The last guy I brought back alive and the location stat still didn't tick up. I have no idea what the problem is.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Aurora said:
I gave up on the Lv50 achievement after 10 minutes playing online.

I had my first bash at it tonight- kept getting killed. Even when in a posse with peeps I knew the whole thing was carnage.

The Donkey I started off with didn't exactly help. :lol

The_Inquisitor said:

Yeah I "grinded" from level 10 to level 12 last night. Meh. No way in hell I'm getting to 50. Seems like it will take a long fucking time, and honestly, who's playing this game online that much? If I'm gonna grind an online game, it's gonna be KZ, BF, etc.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I saw one guy who kept going around killing people and he had a buffalo so he mustve been super high rank. but yeh ranking up is pretty tedious - what sthe best way to rank up? gang hideouts and all the challenges?

I've been doing a lot of gang matches, the public free roam is just tedious carnage. Fun for a bit but doesn't go aywhere. the multiplayer is pretty deep now I've gotten to grips with it. Staying stealthy, grabbing weapons makes such a huge difference, maps have lots of places to hide/climb/traverse. Really like it.

Dead Man

kaizoku said:
I saw one guy who kept going around killing people and he had a buffalo so he mustve been super high rank. but yeh ranking up is pretty tedious - what sthe best way to rank up? gang hideouts and all the challenges?

I've been doing a lot of gang matches, the public free roam is just tedious carnage. Fun for a bit but doesn't go aywhere. the multiplayer is pretty deep now I've gotten to grips with it. Staying stealthy, grabbing weapons makes such a huge difference, maps have lots of places to hide/climb/traverse. Really like it.
Gang hideouts in private were my bread and butter, challenges only give a small amount of XP, so they are no good for grinding. I think I'll try some public gang shootouts, see how much XP they give.
bunbun777 said:
Epic Bear Mounts.

A man can dream... a man can dream.
That would be awesome.

My Xbox red ringed its way back to Microsoft this past week so I'm waiting for it to get back so I can beat this game!
I can't wait to see whats coming up. I'm 35% of the way through and have a feeling that the best is yet to come.:D

crumbs

Neuromancer said:

Make sure you're not wearing the bandanna when you bring in a bounty. I know that screwed up at least one of my bounties.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh, wow. Blackwater is a totally surprising and cool location/scenario. Glad I never had it spoilt.

AMUSIX said:
Also, am I off on this? (middle-of the game spoilers...ok for anyone who has reached blackwater)
Is there not a single likable Mexican? Reyes is a self-loving womanizing ass, Allende is despicable, even Luisa is pathetically misguided. The only character in Mexico that's really likable is Ricketts, and he's a transplanted American

yeah, that was really weird. even Rickets was, in some ways, a less interesting version of Marshall
without any real purpose, arc or closure

GodofWine

Im 330 pages late on this thread...and considering getting this game tonight..but Im needing a good multi experience here to get it...

anyone care to give me the quick 3 sentence overview on MP?

Lunchbox

Banned
GodofWine said:
Im 330 pages late on this thread...and considering getting this game tonight..but Im needing a good multi experience here to get it...

anyone care to give me the quick 3 sentence overview on MP?
singleplayers real part of the game

multiplayers there to fool around. its fun, co-ops great but the competitive is not that strong. its not call of duty/halo

Aspiring

Oh i am so close. 97.4% done. All i have left is 4 bounty missions, and about 6 ranks of the hunter challenge left and than i am done. FINALLY!!!

Dead Man

Rez said:
oh, wow. Blackwater is a totally surprising and cool location/scenario. Glad I never had it spoilt.

yeah, that was really weird. even Rickets was, in some ways, a less interesting version of Marshall
without any real purpose, arc or closure
That's lucky considering some of the rubbish posts in the thread.

shermas

Aurora said:
I gave up on the Lv50 achievement after 10 minutes playing online.

the first hour of playing online is an absolute mess. if you can hang in there (and steal a horse so you're not stuck on that godforsaken donkey), things pick up a bit.

there's a lot to do, some of the unlocks are pretty easy, many challenges, lots of tards that'll kill you for no reason at all... the gang hideouts are pretty good (and you can find better weapons inside each one).

stick with it, if you can.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the last act of the game was fucking bold. Well fucking done.

what an amazing opening and closing act. easily my favourite R* game. I have some pretty serious complaints about where the game went during Mexico, but otherwise it totally exceeded all the expectations I had.

Top Bottom