• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Fowler

Great discussion on the ending here. Before I get on to that, non-spoilerish thoughts on John Marston: Phenomenal job with this character. Possibly my favourite "defined" character of any game (ie, not counting characters like Mass Effect's Shepard where you make their decisions). Everything about his character is perfectly judged right down to touches like never failing to call Bonnie "Miss MacFarlane". Even his hesitance to speak about his past makes complete sense with the whole strong-silent-cowboy thing.

Having said that... on to the ending...

I thought the ending was a complete emotional punch in the gut. Outstanding idea that makes perfect sense. The events of the game showed that, try as he might, John could never outrun his past. It's sadder still when you realise that ultimately, it didn't really work: Jack literally turned into John. And if anything Jack's fate is even worse than John's; where John was a relic who died with the age that produced him, Jack chooses to become an anachronism. In a world where gunslingers are dying and the Old West is disappearing, he takes up the mantle.

But from a gameplay perspective, I don't think it quite worked. Part of the problem is Rockstar's habit of drip-feeding you information (they did this in GTA4, too). Firstly, you know NOTHING about your own damn son except that you have one until you meet him. Similarly, your wife: You build up a closer relationship to Bonnie than your wife. I felt "closer" to Bonnie, anyway. Which is a pity, because Abigail is (IMO) a well-written character who adds so much to John Marston. But you hear about her in the bank for the first time, and you get one mission to bond with her. That's it. Difficult to muster up any sort of emotion to save them when you barely know them.

(This is an issue with Dutch, too. As noted by a previous poster, Dutch is introduced so late on that the loyalty issues Ross talks about with John are a complete mystery to the player. I'd totally have shot Dutch given the chance, because they never gave me a reason to see John's apparent point of view.)

I don't think the missions worked, either. I get that it was an attempt to be mundane and slow to contrast with what came before and what was to come, but something was... off. They felt a little like tutorials. But they didn't feel like tutorials for you to prepare Jack, either. I don't know, I can't quite put my finger on it, but equally I can't shake the feeling that the Home missions (or at least some of them) were supposed to open the game.

It's a real missed opportunity for me, because the ending is already fantastic... it could have been just off-the-charts incredible.

Still, that I'm thinking about the impact the ending made days later tells you what an insanely great job they did nonetheless. And something which absolutely 100% worked was John's actual last stand. Through the entire mission I was thinking, OK, realistically, there's no way John's walking out of this. But obviously he can't die, so I wonder what Rockstar are going to pull to magically get him out of it. When you send Jack and Abigail off, in that few seconds of quiet, I was starting to think... there's no way out, is there? When he peeks through and sees 20-ish guys standing there, I knew. So that moment, just before Dead-Eye kicks in, where John throws the door open and stands there with everyone facing him, when your final faint hope of survival is quickly replaced with "I'm taking as many of you down with me as I can", is one of the greatest gaming memories I have.

Really enjoyed that game overall. So much so that I wonder whether a sequel is worth it. They can't really pull anything like this again, can they? I'd be totally OK with RDR standing alone.

Fowler

matrix-cat said:
The biggest mood killer for me was the ride down from the mountain after the last mission with Dutch. Listening to the song, slowly clip-clopping through the woods, but when I got to the Great Plains something caught my eye. I thought it couldn't be, but riding closer confirmed my suspicions: Bear, motherfucker. Just chillin' out there, about a hundred metres away from my farm. And between him and the farm I encountered six Cougars. Big ol' moment killer.

That was a glitch, right? There isn't a scripted gauntlet of death on the way to Beecher's Hope?

SIX cougars?! Damn. Yeah, that was a glitch :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fowler said:
Great discussion on the ending here. Before I get on to that, non-spoilerish thoughts on John Marston: Phenomenal job with this character. Possibly my favourite "defined" character of any game (ie, not counting characters like Mass Effect's Shepard where you make their decisions). Everything about his character is perfectly judged right down to touches like never failing to call Bonnie "Miss MacFarlane". Even his hesitance to speak about his past makes complete sense with the whole strong-silent-cowboy thing.

I thought the ending was a complete emotional punch in the gut. Outstanding idea that makes perfect sense. The events of the game showed that, try as he might, John could never outrun his past. It's sadder still when you realise that ultimately, it didn't really work: Jack literally turned into John. And if anything Jack's fate is even worse than John's; where John was a relic who died with the age that produced him, Jack chooses to become an anachronism. In a world where gunslingers are dying and the Old West is disappearing, he takes up the mantle.

But from a gameplay perspective, I don't think it quite worked. Part of the problem is Rockstar's habit of drip-feeding you information (they did this in GTA4, too). Firstly, you know NOTHING about your own damn son except that you have one until you meet him. Similarly, your wife: You build up a closer relationship to Bonnie than your wife. I felt "closer" to Bonnie, anyway. Which is a pity, because Abigail is (IMO) a well-written character who adds so much to John Marston. But you hear about her in the bank for the first time, and you get one mission to bond with her. That's it. Difficult to muster up any sort of emotion to save them when you barely know them.

(This is an issue with Dutch, too. As noted by a previous poster, Dutch is introduced so late on that the loyalty issues Ross talks about with John are a complete mystery to the player. I'd totally have shot Dutch given the chance, because they never gave me a reason to see John's apparent point of view.)

I don't think the missions worked, either. I get that it was an attempt to be mundane and slow to contrast with what came before and what was to come, but something was... off. They felt a little like tutorials. But they didn't feel like tutorials for you to prepare Jack, either. I don't know, I can't quite put my finger on it, but equally I can't shake the feeling that the Home missions (or at least some of them) were supposed to open the game.

It's a real missed opportunity for me, because the ending is already fantastic... it could have been just off-the-charts incredible.

Still, that I'm thinking about the impact the ending made days later tells you what an insanely great job they did nonetheless. And something which absolutely 100% worked was John's actual last stand. Through the entire mission I was thinking, OK, realistically, there's no way John's walking out of this. But obviously he can't die, so I wonder what Rockstar are going to pull to magically get him out of it. When you send Jack and Abigail off, in that few seconds of quiet, I was starting to think... there's no way out, is there? When he peeks through and sees 20-ish guys standing there, I knew. So that moment, just before Dead-Eye kicks in, where John throws the door open and stands there with everyone facing him, when your final faint hope of survival is quickly replaced with "I'm taking as many of you down with me as I can", is one of the greatest gaming memories I have.

Really enjoyed that game overall. So much so that I wonder whether a sequel is worth it. They can't really pull anything like this again, can they? I'd be totally OK with RDR standing alone.

I feel very much the same. I finally completed the game just now after 50 hours or so of play time and the ending was simply amazing. The whole game was just great. It is easily my favorite game so far this year and quite possibly my favorite game on consoles this generation.

I'm not sure if I am going to go back and get 100% (I'm at like 85% right now), but I'm almost certain I will go back and play through the game at least one more time.

I think the most amazing thing about Red Dead Redemption is the game world. I haven't played any other game with a world this large and this believable. It's really quite incredible.

Sielys

Well, while on the topic of moodkillers when
I was in the barn as John, and I guess the doors between him and the army are supposed to be closed, but there weren't any doors. It looked like the army was just chillin, looking at John making strange gestures into the air. Like some sort of cowboy mime.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
So I just got to Mexico and I'm starting to feel some rdr fatigue. If I do solely story missions from here on out how many hours would I have left?
Umm.. seven hours, roughly? I could be kind of off. You're abooooout half-way.

Stick out Mexico. It is by far the least interesting section from a scenario and mission design standpoint. What comes after it is worthwhile.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Ending Spoilers:
Did anyone else decide not to fire a single shot when John walked out of the barn? I had my target over someone and then decided that it just didn't feel right, and that John wouldn't have wanted to go out killing anymore people.

Dead Man

Fowler said:

Yeah, many pages back I was discussing this very aspect with someone.
Maybe a mission at the start where the family is abducted or something, or a flashback or two after being shot at Ft Mercer would have helped.

Still an amazing ending, but it could have been even better.

UFRA

Got to 100% completion in SP on this game a couple days ago.

Loved every minute of it. Going to try for the platinum trophy as I get more time.

ezekial45

Banned
Encountered a bug during the An Appointed Time mission:

After killing Williamson, the game just lingers. I can't continue on after because it won't go any further.

Has this happened to anyone else? I tried restarting, but it just happened again.

Fowler

Dead Man said:
Yeah, many pages back I was discussing this very aspect with someone.
Maybe a mission at the start where the family is abducted or something, or a flashback or two after being shot at Ft Mercer would have helped.

Still an amazing ending, but it could have been even better.

It's funny because there are more than a few parts to RDR where things look out of place. They're not major errors or anything. They feel more like, I don't know, "seams" in the game that indicate it used to be something else (kinda like how the massive open world that you never get to explore in Alan Wake is a sign of the game's origins as a sandbox game).

The things that felt odd, starting with the beginning:

John Marston arrives on a boat. But he lives in Beecher's Hope! I know there's some talk that he was captured somewhere else or something, but really that explanation feels like ret-conning.

Mexico:

I don't mean to say that the entire Mexico campaign was bolted on late. Mexico is too big for that. But little things... like Javier Escuella. Javier is almost never mentioned outside Mexico. During the Mexican missions John talks about him like he's ranked up there with Williamson and as if the Bureau tasked him to bring Javier in, too. But at no point before Mexico is Javier mentioned until Fort Mercer. And afterwards, everyone only talks about Dutch and Bill. It's not a major error or anything, just struck me as odd. Also, the lack of connections between the Mexico map and the USA: Two rail bridges, one road bridge, no ferries. Traveling between the two was irritating and not terribly well thought-out, IMO. Which is unlike Rockstar.

Final area:

We've already talked about Dutch being introduced late. And about the Home missions feeling out of place. What about your home itself? When Marston first rides into West Elizabeth, there is no mention of him having a home at Beecher's Hope. You ride through it as if it's another plain piece of property -- no unique dialogue, nothing. Again, very unlike Rockstar, IMO.

I know I had more, I just can't think of them. Like I said, I don't think they're errors as such. Just signs to me that the game was very different at one point, which shouldn't be surprising given how long it was in development. Which makes me want to know just WHAT the original plan was!

ezekial45 said:
Encountered a bug during the An Appointed Time mission:

After killing Williamson, the game just lingers. I can't continue on after because it won't go any further.

Has this happened to anyone else? I tried restarting, but it just happened again.

This happened to me. I re-started, and it didn't happen. Don't know if this matters, but the first time around I took a long time to actually get on with shooting because I was listening to the dialogue; second time around I shot him immediately, and the game didn't linger like that.

dark_inferno said:
I read the new newspaper. Abraham Reyes became a dictator. Landon Ricketts died. Nearly everything that John Marston did, went wrong.

Yeah, thought that was really cool how they gave you some indication of each character's fate. Mind you,
can't exactly blame him for Landon Ricketts' death. He died of old age!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Zefah said:
I feel very much the same. I finally completed the game just now after 50 hours or so of play time and the ending was simply amazing. The whole game was just great. It is easily my favorite game so far this year and quite possibly my favorite game on consoles this generation.

I'm not sure if I am going to go back and get 100% (I'm at like 85% right now), but I'm almost certain I will go back and play through the game at least one more time.

I think the most amazing thing about Red Dead Redemption is the game world. I haven't played any other game with a world this large and this believable. It's really quite incredible.

Everything just felt right. Yeah there were some minor tech issues and what not but everything was just great.

I loved every min of the game and is right up there with one of my favorite of this gen.

The_Dude

100% complete, fantastic game.
Hated seeing John die, but I liked that Rockstar had the guts to kill the main character, and I thought finishing the game (and Edgar Ross) off as Jack was great.

Now to go back and read some of the spoilers in this thread!

Fowler said:

completely agree with this.

and a sequel would be a bad idea.
a completely new game with a western setting would be interesting. But it should be really different from this game.

I had the same with Bioshock. there was never a need for a part 2.

RDR is the game of the year so far for me. amazing.

TxdoHawk

I don't see why another RDR game couldn't be made. That said, I think a sequel wouldn't be nearly as interesting as a prequel, lots more potential in the backstory.

Fowler

TxdoHawk said:
I don't see why another RDR game couldn't be made. That said, I think a sequel wouldn't be nearly as interesting as a prequel, lots more potential in the backstory.

TOTALLY agree with this. The one thing that would work... um, spoiler-tagging to be on the safe side.

Obviously you can't continue after John's death. Jack's quest is really sorta done. And Rockstar keep talking about how RDR is set in the Old West's dying days, so it's a bit odd to continue the story a few years after RDR.

But a prequel... focusing on John running with Dutch's gang, meeting Abigail, ending with him leaving the gang and buying Beecher's Hope... that could work. John kept saying how they tried to rob from the rich and give to the poor, so it's not like you're playing a totally bad guy. I think this could really work, either as a DLC episode like Lost & Damned/Gay Tony or a whole new game.

TxdoHawk said:
because it was pretty much perfect as it was imo (glitches aside).

don't get me wrong, i'd probably buy the sequel, but i don't feel there is a need for it.

Wiggum2007

TxdoHawk said:

I don't want them to touch anything related to John's story anymore, I want a sequel with its own separate story, just as Redemption had no relation to Revolver. Maybe have a few encounters with some of the story characters, a la minor GTA characters appearing across games.

ScOULaris

Not only would a sequel be pointless given the way that this game ends, transitioning from the Old West to civilized America, but it would be just plain unnecessary from a gameplay perspective too. What could be improved upon enough that it would warrant a sequel? And more importantly, what aspects of the Western genre are still left to be covered that Red Dead Redemption missed?

To me, this game is the all-encompassing gaming vision of the Western genre, and I honestly can't think of a reason why Rockstar should follow it up with another entry in that same space.

Rockstar a company that I believe has the balls to make a game with a beginning and end, and THAT'S IT. No cliffhanger ending and no plans to crank out sequels until the money runs dry.

Wiggum2007

ScOULaris said:
Not only would a sequel be pointless given the way that this game ends, transitioning from the Old West to civilized America, but it would be just plain unnecessary from a gameplay perspective too. What could be improved upon enough that it would warrant a sequel? And more importantly, what aspects of the Western genre are still left to be covered that Red Dead Redemption missed?

To me, this game is the all-encompassing gaming vision of the Western genre, and I honestly can't think of a reason why Rockstar should follow it up with another entry in that same space.

Rockstar a company that I believe has the balls to make a game with a beginning and end, and THAT'S IT. No cliffhanger ending and no plans to crank out sequels until the money runs dry.

RDR: Vice City!

Sielys said:
Well, while on the topic of moodkillers when
I was in the barn as John, and I guess the doors between him and the army are supposed to be closed, but there weren't any doors. It looked like the army was just chillin, looking at John making strange gestures into the air. Like some sort of cowboy mime.

I had a glitch myself at that point. While John was
saying his goodbyes to Abigail and Jack while they were on horseback, there was another model of (young) Jack standing about a meter away, just watching. He remained there after Abigail and Jack left, and just stared at John as he was walking towards the doors.
It was creepy as hell, as it seemed like a ghost or something.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wiggum2007 said:
RDR: Vice City!

This! I think they could do plenty more adventures in the old west even if they were just spin-off types using mostly the same assets and what not. Considering how few games set in the old west there are, I would be down for some more, even if they aren't as good story-wise as RDR.

Looking forward to the Co-Op DLC. I'm up to Level 30 in multiplayer now. My buddy just made it to Level 50. I hope the Co-Op stuff is good. Co-Op is one of my favorite features of any game most of the time.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
OT, any word on PC version? R* probably waiting till the sales stop but figure I might ask anyway since it's E3

JdFoX187

Banned
Just finished the game, myself. I thought I beat it last night with
the death of John Marston
and then I find out there's still one other thing left to do. That last quest was really well done. In fact, the entire game is realy well done. I'm very impressed Rockstar San Diego. This was one game that just popped onto my radar because everyone kept hyping it. I bought it at the same time as Alan Wake, and haven't hardly touched that due to this.

LordPhoque said:
Question :
What was the "I know you" mission all about ? I didn't get it.

My friend was the one who clued me in on this and it makes complete sense;
That guy in that chain is a representation of God, seeing if John really had changed, or watching him to judge what he was doing. He gives you a few tasks and gives you choices like to help the woman at the church, or rob her yourself. And then it's all tied together in the last part of the chain where he's standing on an open hillside overlooking the Marston house. John tries to shoot at him, the bullets have no effect hinting that he's something of the supernatural type and then John says "Damn you!" and his response is "Many have." Such as "God damn" or "God damn it." So that's what I'd say. Open to interpretation though.

Huggy

About "I Know You":

I always thought of the guy as the grim reaper, because he said he was an accountant of sorts. He also knows who you have been killing and where you'll be buried.
Anyway, I am replaying the game and when I found him I shot him dead. Not very consistent with the final cutscene, but at least he took 3 solid shots to the head after I shot him in both kneecaps. Got some pistol ammo for it.

Fowler

Holy fucking shit:

i hate bees said:
9jdlvn.jpg

WHAT IS THAT?!

The_Dude said:
100% complete, fantastic game.
Hated seeing John die, but I liked that Rockstar had the guts to kill the main character, and I thought finishing the game (and Edgar Ross) off as Jack was great.

Now to go back and read some of the spoilers in this thread!

What do you mean by "finishing Edgar Ross" ? Is it possible to kill him ?

The_Dude

LordPhoque said:
What do you mean by "finishing Edgar Ross" ? Is it possible to kill him ?
Don't tell me you read my first spoiler before finishing the game! But to answer your question,
you can kill him in a stranger mission.

The_Dude

LordPhoque said:
I beat the game 2 hours ago and took the time to read some of the spoilers in this thread :) Thanks for the answer anyway.
No problem. Glad to hear you'd finished it already, I'd hate to spoil something like that for someone else!

Okay so I bought red dead yesterday, played it for like 2 hours and then it froze up. At first I thought it was my 360. And then I boot up the game again later, play maybe 20 minutes and it freezes again.. Next day, play about another 20 minutes and it freezes.
Is this common? Is there something I can do to stop it from freezing? Any help would be appreciated.

OchreHand

Finally beat this game -- amazing stuff. Artistically and technically (for the most part)

But, it also had some of the funniest glitches I've seen, fortunately nothing game breaking.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Best game I've played in the last two years, hands down.

Normally after completing the story in a R* game, I start pissing about - stacking up cars in intersections and blowing them up, going sociopath sniper on rooftops, all the antisocial stuff. It's fun to blow off some steam after dealing with Niko's idiot cousin, that idiotic final nightclub level in Gay Tony, etc.

Not this time. I played through RDR as a good guy. As good as the story would allow me to be. Now that John's dead, it feels like going sociopath as Jack would be dishonoring John's memory somehow. Ridiculous, I know - but that's how I feel. No other explanation for it. In fact, I'll probably start a brand new game and play as a bad guy instead, just so I don't "contaminate" this particular saved game and the ride it took me on.

Kudos, Rockstar. This is what game narrative should be.

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
SilentProtagonist said:
Okay so I bought red dead yesterday, played it for like 2 hours and then it froze up. At first I thought it was my 360. And then I boot up the game again later, play maybe 20 minutes and it freezes again.. Next day, play about another 20 minutes and it freezes.
Is this common? Is there something I can do to stop it from freezing? Any help would be appreciated.
I've had the game freeze exactly once in singleplayer.

Multiplayer, I'm having connection issues coming out of my ears, but singleplayer has been very bug-free.

so how long can you be drunk in the game?

my gf was playing and took some tequila shots, and damn, Marston was stumbling all over the place for about 5 minutes or more. fell down and "passed out" at least 10-15 times. it was ridiculous lol. i thought it was a glitch and would never end.

usually it only lasts like a minute or less for me... so i thought it was weird.

I don't really know how much of a bad-guy you can be in this game though. Sure, you can shoot civilians, wear a bandana and have a bounty on you, but the in-game interaction between the characters would I imagine remain exactly the same, and you would still have the reluctant-hero politely saying Hello and Thank You, would you not? It's times like this I wish Bioware's interactive dialogue system was in these type of games

Radogol

Meus Renaissance said:
I don't really know how much of a bad-guy you can be in this game though. Sure, you can shoot civilians, wear a bandana and have a bounty on you, but the in-game interaction between the characters would I imagine remain exactly the same, and you would still have the reluctant-hero politely saying Hello and Thank You, would you not? It's times like this I wish Bioware's interactive dialogue system was in these type of games

Lands of Lore II approach to dialog would fit RDR perfectly, I think. In LoL, you never chose what to say or even how to say it, but the game was able to pick up whether you're an asshole or a saint based on your gameplay choices and conversations played out accordingly.

ScOULaris

bishoptl said:
Best game I've played in the last two years, hands down.

Normally after completing the story in a R* game, I start pissing about - stacking up cars in intersections and blowing them up, going sociopath sniper on rooftops, all the antisocial stuff. It's fun to blow off some steam after dealing with Niko's idiot cousin, that idiotic final nightclub level in Gay Tony, etc.

Not this time. I played through RDR as a good guy. As good as the story would allow me to be. Now that John's dead, it feels like going sociopath as Jack would be dishonoring John's memory somehow. Ridiculous, I know - but that's how I feel. No other explanation for it. In fact, I'll probably start a brand new game and play as a bad guy instead, just so I don't "contaminate" this particular saved game and the ride it took me on.

Kudos, Rockstar. This is what game narrative should be.

I completely understand your viewpoint here. With RDR, Rockstar has created a true role-playing game. Most RPG's give you a blank-slate character that you mold through your decisions, but in this case we really are playing the role of John Marston. His character is so believable and effortlessly developed that we find ourselves "acting" like him without even thinking about it. Unlike traditional RPGs, where our character is essentially an extension of ourselves, Read Dead Redemption places us in the shoes of a seemingly "real" character. And we get to experience a small, but very important slice of his life during the last days of the Old West.

Top Bottom