• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

ScOULaris

So I just beat the game a few days ago, and I was wondering if anybody else has been listening to the soundtrack
and feeling sad when they hear certain songs. Dead Man's Gun is sad for obvious reasons, but it's Compass that really gets me. It reminds me of John riding back to his family and finally thinking that he would get to live out the rest of his life in peace. Remembering that moment in light of what transpires in the end makes me feel genuinely sad, which is a testament to Rockstar's development of not only John's character, but the reality of the game world.

They made his death impactful by making it permanent. No other game has done this as effectively, in my opinion. Sure, you can restart the game, but in the canon of the game's story and the story of you playing the game, John's dead and not coming back. Playing as Jack furthers the feeling of melancholy because it maintains the finality of the events at the end of John's story. Since the game world continues to exist after John's death, it makes his passing seem that much more real.

I even get a little sad when loading screens pop up now, showing pictures of John in various locales. It's similar to the feeling I get when looking at a picture of a dead celebrity whom I liked.

And the best part is that his death was warranted, plausible, and even inevitable within the context of the game's story and themes. And it makes sense from a gameplay perspective as well. By being forced to play as Jack after the story is over, the player will most likely feel more comfortable going apeshit and slaughtering people at random because they view Jack as a lost soul with a huge chip on his shoulder. If the story had left John alive with a happy ending, it wouldn't have made much sense for a reformed outlaw-turned rancher to go on killing sprees.

Ah, I've rambled on for too long. I just wanted to spew some of my thoughts about the game's ending and its lasting impact. I can't think of another game that handled the death of a playable character this well, for both story and gameplay purposes.

ScOULaris said:
Ah, I've rambled on for too long. I just wanted to spew some of my thoughts about the game
's ending and its lasting impact.

You summed up perfectly my impressions on the game
and the ending, feelings and all
. Very well put.

ScOULaris said:
Do you feel the same way about the loading screens? Or am I just a weirdo?

I thought the exact same thing
with my first loading screen as Jack : those little snippets of John's life that served as a way to pass time between missions suddenly became tokens of remembrance. To be honest I'm not sure it was intended that way but all the pieces of the game's narrative including little details like the loading screens really fit in a perfect way.

ScOULaris

Yeah, they make me
reflect on my time spent playing as John, riding around, hunting, and doing random things. As Jack, I kept John's horse, and I don't plan on replacing him.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
can you actually (end game spoilers)
shoot the government guy at the end?

This might be really obvious, but I just realized that if you check your mission stats you can replay any mission you want. Felt kind of dumb when I figured that out. :lol

Filldough

Rez said:
can you actually (end game spoilers)
shoot the government guy at the end?

Yes (thank GOD!!!) A stranger Mission pops up called, "Remember my Family" or something like that... I completely agree with what you guys are saying, even the Loading screen sadness haha. I've been playing thru a second time and its amazing how much foreshadowing there is in conversations. Or even John's actions, he tries very hard to be a good person but he has his own idea of justice that was obviously framed during his years as an outlaw. For example the scene where Reyes is tied up about to be executed and the girl runs up with a knife and gets shot and John just loses it and kills everyone. Its like no matter how hard he tries to be good there is a part of him that is untamed and will never fit into the society forming around the demise of the old west. Fucking FANTASTIC game.

Oh, anyone else think it was really interesting the way they treated the buffalo? Seeing the herd the first time was epic. I couldn't help but shoot the dumb beasts. Then I find out they don't come back... :(

Just thought it was interesting and an excellent commentary on the way people wiped out the buffalo...

soldat7

ScOULaris said:
And the best part is that his death was warranted, plausible, and even inevitable within the context of the game's story and themes.

I disagree on a single point:
His death was certainly plausible and inevitable, but most definitely not warranted, IMO. John Marston was gunned down in cold blood after fulfilling his end of the bargain. He made a deal with supposed lawmen, and was subsequently used by Edgar Ross and murdered by him only after he served no more purpose. It's pretty clear that Ross was not interested in justice, but that he thought of Marston as nothing more than a savage, good only to be purged and brought down like the Native Americans before. And because of this, it is that much more satisfying playing as Jack and exacting revenge on Ross in the end.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I finally finished, I think the game was a tad long. Good game, not great. Marston was good as was the world. Many supporting chars were bad and cliche. The story was good, but the missions got a bit repetitive, ride horse, shoot three dozen guys, repeat. The sim stuff like hunting or cattle driving was ok, but not real fun. I can see how some folks love it, but I was just plowing through the main story trying to get to the end before I gave up, sort of like GTA4. Ending was good. Never really tried MP, don't have the energy for more old west at this point.

I hope the sequel moves into 1920s NYC and the surrounding areas.

Solid 85% overall.

LiK

Finished! LOVE the way it ended. kinda cool that the
ending had to be discovered from a Stranger mission. i didn't know that was the way it was supposed to end. VERY cool. i wonder how many people simply thought the game was never ending after John's death?they might not ever see Jack get his revenge.
:D

Yeef

Doing the final Survivalist challenge and I had like 3 plants to go when my PS3 froze. I really wish the game auto-saved every five minutes or something.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Loved this game. And so far is my game of the year and can't see it falling off the list too far..

LiK said:
Finished! LOVE the way it ended. kinda cool that the
ending had to be discovered from a Stranger mission. i didn't know that was the way it was supposed to end. VERY cool. i wonder how many people simply thought the game was never ending after John's death?they might not ever see Jack get his revenge.
:D

I just beat it and there is nothing on my map for any strangers. I beat all the stranger missions before the end of the game. There is nothing on my map for anything. What is Jack's revenge?

Nelo Ice

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
I just beat it and there is nothing on my map for any strangers. I beat all the stranger missions before the end of the game. There is nothing on my map for anything. What is Jack's revenge?

go to the blackwater train station

Aspiring

FINALLY!!!! 100% i feel so good. First R* game to ever do that and besides a few annoying hunting challenges it was perfect. Now i can finally play Alan Wake, yet that thread was dead withing a week. Hope its as good as this was.

LiK

OldJadedGamer said:
Nice, 50 extra achievement points while I was at it. Oh, and I killed his wife and brother too just because they were close to him
A wolf killed his brother when I was leaving. I looted his body. Hilarious. Make sure to loot Ross too. I think he gave me a grand.

Arcipello said:
i was REALLY hoping there was more time laps footage of the beautiful vistas in from this game, the best i could find was this one:(

to any GAFFERS out there that can record ingame footage i beg you to do better than this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMNxtnnDl6s&feature=related

That's amazing! So much detail and polish! But lol at the vibrating trees and the guy selling newspapers by the light post for so long. :lol

Lothars

OldJadedGamer said:
Nice, 50 extra achievement points while I was at it. Oh, and I killed his wife and brother too just because they were close to him

same here,
his wife provided me the dasterdly achievement and his bother died from a shot in the head than the guy that witnessed it suffered the same fate but I also really enjoyed killing him as well

Animal

Banned
ScOULaris said:
So I just beat the game a few days ago, and I was wondering if anybody else has been listening to the soundtrack
and feeling sad when they hear certain songs. Dead Man's Gun is sad for obvious reasons, but it's Compass that really gets me. It reminds me of John riding back to his family and finally thinking that he would get to live out the rest of his life in peace. Remembering that moment in light of what transpires in the end makes me feel genuinely sad, which is a testament to Rockstar's development of not only John's character, but the reality of the game world.

They made his death impactful by making it permanent. No other game has done this as effectively, in my opinion. Sure, you can restart the game, but in the canon of the game's story and the story of you playing the game, John's dead and not coming back. Playing as Jack furthers the feeling of melancholy because it maintains the finality of the events at the end of John's story. Since the game world continues to exist after John's death, it makes his passing seem that much more real.

I even get a little sad when loading screens pop up now, showing pictures of John in various locales. It's similar to the feeling I get when looking at a picture of a dead celebrity whom I liked.

And the best part is that his death was warranted, plausible, and even inevitable within the context of the game's story and themes. And it makes sense from a gameplay perspective as well. By being forced to play as Jack after the story is over, the player will most likely feel more comfortable going apeshit and slaughtering people at random because they view Jack as a lost soul with a huge chip on his shoulder. If the story had left John alive with a happy ending, it wouldn't have made much sense for a reformed outlaw-turned rancher to go on killing sprees.

Ah, I've rambled on for too long. I just wanted to spew some of my thoughts about the game's ending and its lasting impact. I can't think of another game that handled the death of a playable character this well, for both story and gameplay purposes.

I just beat the game a couple days ago and I feel exactly the same about it. It really made me stop and give proper meaning and weight to what transpired.

Dare I go as far as saying it made me think about my own real life in relation to this in-game realization.

Bravo Rockstar.

JoeBoy101

Just finished the game after 40 hours or so and have to agree with alot of the other people, ending was simply magnificent. Still emotional about it. I have to say,
the music that plays as you head home as John is fantastic (Compass?) and then after you shoot Ross as Jack (Dead Man's Gun). I liked it more than when entering Mexico.

EDIT: What ScOULaris said. :D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(Ending spoilers.)

I was talking about this with a friend yesterday but I'm not sure: is this the first game (open world or not) that lets you keep playing after the end that permanently kills its main character? I'm curious if any other game has done something similar and how it was handled. If there aren't, kudos to Rockstar for pulling it off so well and for the first time.

Animal said:
Anyone who thinks games aren't art after playing this game from beginning to end can go fuck themselves.

Agreed. Game has sucked my gaming soul. Having a hard time playing anything else even after I beat it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Divorced literally everything else, the most astonishing thing about this game is the actual world. As a 3D-sculpture, the thing is mind-boggling.

The more of everything else that is piled on top of it (control inertia, sometimes janky animation, sometimes ham-fisted dialogue, mission structure, the degree and subsequent consequence of the chaos you can inflict), the more the game becomes very much a product of 2010. The world, though, is years ahead of what nearly everyone else is doing.

Art in relation to games is a meaningless buzz-word that needs to die.

mujun

Fuck this game. Checkpoints suck. I never thought it would happen but I might have to start hating the Rockstar open world games.

jergrah

Finally finished the story last night -- such a fantastic game from start to finish. It unseated Mass Effect 2 as my favorite game of the year, which I didnt think could happen.

I really hope we get some single player DLC expansions.

Sielys

Ok, just beat the game and went online for the first time.

Is online all about being camped by a 3 man posse, each member sitting on 1 of 3 different spawn points with high powered pistols? All I wanted to do was some gang hideouts.

I moved to a different free roam but they followed me across 3 servers, until I was forced to play by myself in LAN party :(

Also, what does "Killed casually by [PLAYERNAME]" mean?

owlbeak

Sielys said:
Also, what does "Killed casually by [PLAYERNAME]" mean?
That means they're little bitches like almost everyone online. "Casually killed by" means they are using casual aiming mode, so as soon as they lock onto you, you're pretty much dead because it will never lose the lock-on, despite if you're moving or not. That's why the new expert-only free roam will be a godsend.

eshwaaz

ScOULaris said:

Very nice post, and I totally agree.
I finished the story a week ago and have been finishing up some side missions with Jack, and it's been a very melancholy experience. Going back and revisiting the Marston ranch evoked genuine feelings of loss. Over just a few short missions they had established likable characters with plausible, endearing relationships, which is something most games don't manage to do over the course of an entire game.
Amazing work by Rockstar.

Yeef

Just got 100% in single player. I think two or three weeks from now I'll got for Spurred to Victory and Have Gun, Will Travel then shelve this one.

At first i was WTF GTA set in the Wild West.

Game went along, story kicked in, John Marston was a badass. The ending made was both WTF and Happy.

Good job rockstar. You made one hell of a game. *bows*

SamuraiX-

You know you've played too much Red Dead Redemption when...

- You see birds flying overhead and you reach for a pistol/rifle...
- You see skunks running around your neighborhood and your first instinct is to shoot them because you've been looking for them all over the place for your Hunter Challenge.

Yeah. R*SD did an amazing job with the wildlife in this game. :D

Finished the game last night. On the whole enjoyed it a lot. Ending was
abrupt but fitting. I was starting to get a bit sick of hearing Johns voice though so the change of character, albiet late in, was a nice change. Also, the fact that I never really liked using John as a bad character, I could exact my revenge and go on random killing sprees and not give a shit with Jack like some hateful teen.

I don't normally get into open world games and I have really disliked the past 2/3 main GTA games as they just bore me. But the setting and the characters in this just had you glued. I think it started to get a bit boring once you got into Mexico for me but I was never left wanting to give up, always wanting to see what's next. The landscapes, different environments and the sky/lighting were all a treat to behold.

Just a really well done game, though not without it's problems here and there and a few glitches (which are more funny than game breaking, the ones I encountered.
One of which was the protect Jack mission, who's injured behind a rock from the bear. I died on first attempt and when it reloaded and I killed the bear, there was a double of Jack behind the rock too. He just stood there while the real Jack walked away and got on the horse. Quite a surreal/funny/weird moment
). I'd say overall an 8/10.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that's nothing, during the ending
a body-double Jack was standing frozen in crucifix position in front of the barn doors as real Jack rode off and John contemplated walking out before finally doing so.
Kind of a mood breaker.

eznark

Banned
Rez said:
a body-double Jack was standing frozen in crucifix position in front of the barn doors as real Jack rode off and John contemplated walking out before finally doing so.
Kind of a mood breaker.

That wasn't a bug you just don't understand what Rockstar was trying to convey with that profound ending. He is risen.

Mr. Sam

eznark said:
That wasn't a bug you just don't understand what Rockstar was trying to convey with that profound ending. He is risen.

I had a similar thing with two of the same character models doing different things in the same cut scene. Was bizarre.

Dead Man

Rez said:
Kind of a mood breaker.
Had the same one. Good times. :lol

Yeef

In all the time I played [PS3] I only ran into one bug (but I ran into it a few times). When headed into Blackwater everything would freeze and Marston would be teleported around the screen at random for about 15 seconds then everything would go back to normal. It's only happened on long, fast rides from far away to Blackwater, so I'm guessing it's a loading issue.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rez said:
Kind of a mood breaker.

I didn't have that one happen,
I had a weird glitch in the scene where the uncle dies. It was supposed to be sad but for for some reason when he laid down to die there was a big ass pot that was melded into his body. I could only see his head above it. Kind of killed the mood for me.

The biggest mood killer for me was the ride down from the mountain after the last mission with Dutch. Listening to the song, slowly clip-clopping through the woods, but when I got to the Great Plains something caught my eye. I thought it couldn't be, but riding closer confirmed my suspicions: Bear, motherfucker. Just chillin' out there, about a hundred metres away from my farm. And between him and the farm I encountered six Cougars. Big ol' moment killer.

That was a glitch, right? There isn't a scripted gauntlet of death on the way to Beecher's Hope?

Top Bottom