• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Dead Man said:
God damn Unnatural Selection trophy. I have checked my stats against the RDR wiki list and I should have the damn thing. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is a difference between wild and domestic goats?
There's an in-game list of animals you have killed in one of the Stat menus. Just cross-reference that with the list required for the trophy and you should spot the one missing. That's how I realized wild horses counted seperately and got it. :)

Dead Man

BeeDog said:
Have you killed a wild horse then? That was my missing animal. :lol
Yep, got one of those too. Also a seagull, a songbird, beavers, everythig in the hunting challenges, a buffalo, everything! :lol Oh well, I was never going to get the MP trophies anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Revolutionary said:
There's an in-game list of animals you have killed in one of the Stat menus. Just cross-reference that with the list required for the trophy and you should spot the one missing. That's how I realized wild horses counted seperately and got it. :)
Yeah, I've done that, and I just can't find anything missing. I might just go hunt one more of everything before spitting the dummy! :D

WJD

Loving this game so far, but Mexico has dragged a bit. (I think I've nearly finished that part though).

The most interesting characters were easily the likes of Bonnie and Marshall... Do I get to see them again? I miss Bonnie :(

Mikey Jr.

Finished the game. The ending was amazing, but everything before was terrible in terms of story. The story is so paper thin that its not even funny. Honestly, its just a series of random events. Its a shame because the characters, animation, writing, is amazing. But there is nothing holding it together.

WJD said:
Loving this game so far, but Mexico has dragged a bit. (I think I've nearly finished that part though).

The most interesting characters were easily the likes of Bonnie and Marshall... Do I get to see them again? I miss Bonnie :(

No on the Marshall, yes on Bonnie but only briefly.

Dead Man

Maybe I am just being rubbish at spotting the missing animal. Here is what I have showing on my stats page as being killed at least once:

Armadillos
Bears
Beavers
Bighorn
Boars
Bobcats
Buffalo
Chickens
Cougars
Coyotes
Crows
Deer
Dogs
Ducks
Elk
Foxes
Goats
Hawks
Domesticated Horses
Wild Horses
Owls
Rabbits
Raccoons
Seagulls
Skunks
Snakes
Songbirds
Vultures
Wolves

And 25 Wild species killed.

If anyone sees the missing one, please let me know, and mock me at will! :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There are bald eagles in the snowy mountain areas.

I felt kind of bad for blasting one of them.

Also, Bucks are separate from Deer, have you murdered one of them yet?

Pigs

Snuggler said:

emot-911.gif

Dead Man

blanky said:
Eagle!

:|

I am fail :(

Snuggler said:

So much fail! In my defence it is 2am here, and I've been watching Le Mans, World Cup, and F1 all weekend with almost no sleep.

Finally finished it. Damn, what an ending.
I really loved it, but hated it too because I like John so much, but that is what made it powerful. Wouldn't change it, I don't think. I'm really going to miss these characters. I wish Bonnie had more screen time. Before the whole Beechers Hope ranch section, I was really hoping his wife was long dead so he could end happily with Bonnie. Her final scene where she sulks off unhappy because she obviously loves, or at least really likes John, was more affecting than I thought it could be. Maybe I'm a soft romantic at heart :p When the agent said "Your wife died in a prison riot last week" I was secretly thinking "Yes!", haha. But once introduced, they handled John's relationship with his family really well. It was just the perfect amount for you to feel the impact of having it all taken away so soon after.

The only thing that annoys me is that I was looking forward to getting 100% but I really don't like playing as Jack. He's not as cool and he's an immature cowboy shouting "Yeehaw!". Luckily I kept a save before the final mission, so I think I'm going to do everything else from that point. I'd wish I had done that initially.

God damn Beavers!!

There's loads of Rivers why cant they put their differences behind them and unite to build the great dam of tall trees, i go near the river pour out some bait then get attacked by Yogi Bear and his pals!!!!

Mr Solo Dolo said:
God damn Beavers!!

There's loads of Rivers why cant they put their differences behind them and unite to build the great dam of tall trees, i go near the river pour out some bait then get attacked by Yogi Bear and his pals!!!!
I saw a ton of the beavers I needed north of the great plains, by that big river running west to east.

Dead Man

Snuggler said:

Well, I just killed a Buck, and it added to my count of Deer. Can't find an Eagle though.

Edit: It was an eagle I was missing. Thanks for the help!

SamuraiX-

Mr Solo Dolo said:
God damn Beavers!!

This seriously made me :lol

Well done. :p

blanky

Dead Man said:
Well, I just killed a Buck, and it added to my count of Deer. Can't find an Eagle though.

third area spoilers
remember that mission where you scouted Dutch's camp? you had to climb the mountain, kill a bear, a cougar and then the last one you'd see an eagle left of you. there should be more there i thin.

Dead Man

blanky said:
third area spoilers
remember that mission where you scouted Dutch's camp? you had to climb the mountain, kill a bear, a cougar and then the last one you'd see an eagle left of you. there should be more there i thin.
Already found one, but thanks for the tip.

eshwaaz

InaudibleWhispa said:
Finally finished it. Damn, what an ending.
I really loved it, but hated it too because I like John so much, but that is what made it powerful. Wouldn't change it, I don't think. I'm really going to miss these characters. I wish Bonnie had more screen time. Before the whole Beechers Hope ranch section, I was really hoping his wife was long dead so he could end happily with Bonnie. Her final scene where she sulks off unhappy because she obviously loves, or at least really likes John, was more affecting than I thought it could be. Maybe I'm a soft romantic at heart :p When the agent said "Your wife died in a prison riot last week" I was secretly thinking "Yes!", haha. But once introduced, they handled John's relationship with his family really well. It was just the perfect amount for you to feel the impact of having it all taken away so soon after.

The only thing that annoys me is that I was looking forward to getting 100% but I really don't like playing as Jack. He's not as cool and he's an immature cowboy shouting "Yeehaw!". Luckily I kept a save before the final mission, so I think I'm going to do everything else from that point. I'd wish I had done that initially.

I know what you mean. I'm trying to wrap up some side quests as Jack, but after spending 50 hours with John it just doesn't feel right. Plus, here's a kind of melancholy to that world now after everything that happened.

Bizzyb

Banned
Hey guys is it possible to Rob Blackwater Bank??

I can't seem to get to the back area past the first room with barred windows. Even when shooting the glass windows out I still can't get through.

Well I just beat the game. Overall a vast improvement over GTA4, however I still felt like most of the characters were totally unlikeable and the main character still did missions that felt pointless or out of character. Also I thought the dialogue was pretty poor in a lot of places, I would be surprised to hear the voice actors recorded their lines together because the timing seemed really off. Every line seemed like a non-sequitor.

Also not real happy having to
play as Jack in the after-game. Don't care for him at all and it means I'll never get to see John wearing the army, the marshal or the bureau outfit. Also I was pissed I had to face off Ross in a duel, I was planning on hogtieing him and setting him on fire. :lol To make up for it I killed his wife before hand, an eye for an eye I say.

All the same... Those are mostly just nitpicks... This game still represents a 1000x improvement over GTA4.

Dead Man said:
Yep, got one of those too. Also a seagull, a songbird, beavers, everythig in the hunting challenges, a buffalo, everything! :lol Oh well, I was never going to get the MP trophies anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I've done that, and I just can't find anything missing. I might just go hunt one more of everything before spitting the dummy! :D

What I realised is some of your kills referenced in Collectibles (when you've skinned them) doesn't register as an actual kill sometimes as shown in Misc. I skinned all the animals, e.g. Bighorns and yet it didn't show that in Misc. This is the reason for the confusion.

Bizzyb said:
Hey guys is it possible to Rob Blackwater Bank??

I can't seem to get to the back area past the first room with barred windows. Even when shooting the glass windows out I still can't get through.

Isn't the safe to the right of the door?

is anyone else kinda annoyed/disappointed by basic movement and feel of gameplay, compared to GTAIV?

like holding the run button, Marston just runs way too fast... it felt much better in GTAIV. the running animation looks much sillier too. also, when you bump into NPCs, the reactions are all weird with iffy collision detection or sometimes there's no reactions at all, many times an NPC just awkwardly slides to the side, like in some PS2 game... i dont remember that happening in GTAIV. when you walked on the street and bumped into NPCs in GTAIV, it looked and felt much more realistic and well done. it's as if they scaled back Euphoria this time... which would be weird as hell. overall almost every movement and interaction seems to lack the feel of weight, which is damn disappointing. horses too often feel like they're just sliding through the environment, and WAY too fast.. when you bump into fences or a cactus or whatever at full speed, you dont fly off the horse or anything (like you would fly through the windshield in GTAIV), you just come to a very awkward looking full stop.. what the hell?

and i still don't understand why there are no camera view options, why cant i get closer to the character?! the camera is waaaaayy too far! so goddamn annoying, pisses me off every moment. i can't get immersed in the beautiful world they built when i can't get close to it. camera is too far -> feel of the game ruined for me.

i understand i'm nitpicking, but these little issues make the game irritating to play for me, especially coming straight from GTAIV (Gay Tony), which felt just perfect gameplay-wise.

Aurora

^ I've never had an issue with the distance of the camera at all. How would having a camera closer in make it better to view a landscape? Totally disagree with you on this point.

PowderedToast

astroturfing said:
is anyone else kinda annoyed/disappointed by basic movement and feel of gameplay, compared to GTAIV?

like holding the run button, Marston just runs way too fast... it felt much better in GTAIV. the running animation looks much sillier too. also, when you bump into NPCs, the reactions are all weird with iffy collision detection or sometimes there's no reactions at all, many times an NPC just awkwardly slides to the side, like in some PS2 game... i dont remember that happening in GTAIV. when you walked on the street and bumped into NPCs in GTAIV, it looked and felt much more realistic and well done. it's as if they scaled back Euphoria this time... which would be weird as hell. overall almost every movement and interaction seems to lack the feel of weight, which is damn disappointing. horses too often feel like they're just sliding through the environment, and WAY too fast.. when you bump into fences or a cactus or whatever at full speed, you dont fly off the horse or anything (like you would fly through the windshield in GTAIV), you just come to a very awkward looking full stop.. what the hell?

and i still don't understand why there are no camera view options, why cant i get closer to the character?! the camera is waaaaayy too far! so goddamn annoying, pisses me off every moment. i can't get immersed in the beautiful world they built when i can't get close to it. camera is too far -> feel of the game ruined for me.

i understand i'm nitpicking, but these little issues make the game irritating to play for me, especially coming straight from GTAIV (Gay Tony), which felt just perfect gameplay-wise.
completely agree, i was disappointed about the lack of camera options aswell. when i checked the control screen in options i couldn't believe it.

Aurora said:
^ I've never had an issue with the distance of the camera at all. How would having a camera closer in make it better to view a landscape? Totally disagree with you on this point.

a closer camera would bring me closer to the game world. simple as that. now i feel too far away. there's a disconnect there for me... and it sucks.

a closer camera would help with viewing NPCs, objects in the game world, everything really...

K, did the Blackwater bank robbery mission, is there much left to the game because I'm really getting tired of the sp and want to get it over with soon.

BattleMonkey said:
K, did the Blackwater bank robbery mission, is there much left to the game because I'm really getting tired of the sp and want to get it over with soon.
I'd say you have about 2 hours left. Game is long.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Meus Renaissance said:
What I realised is some of your kills referenced in Collectibles (when you've skinned them) doesn't register as an actual kill sometimes as shown in Misc. I skinned all the animals, e.g. Bighorns and yet it didn't show that in Misc. This is the reason for the confusion.

tried to join in your game earlier but couldn't connect >_<

got the "do all hideouts in one free roam session achievement" though, they're all stupidly easy no? Hope the DLC is more challenging, and not in the sense that you die a lot unless you hide. I'd just like more in the form of team work, having to flank, cover, use gatling guns and cannons, ride wagons and so on. Right now its just a very easy shooting gallery and its a race for who can kill people quickest - and thats kinda mostly down to what gun you use. Fun but lacks depth.

I can't wait for a huge gang match up with friends though.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm trying to complete the challenge where you have to kill bears with 1 shot each. What the hell gun did you guys use? I figured going into Deadeye and getting a headshot would be enough, but the things are still chasing after me.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Wellington said:
I'm trying to complete the challenge where you have to kill bears with 1 shot each. What the hell gun did you guys use? I figured going into Deadeye and getting a headshot would be enough, but the things are still chasing after me.

The Buffalo Rifle is the weapon to use.

To get it,
you have to be past Master Hunter Rank 5

Falt

Wellington said:

I used the semi-automatic shotgun. Let them charge then use deadeye at the last second for a headshot. Worked every time.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Wiggum2007 said:
Or just aim the sniper rifle right between the eyes.
Alright I managed to do the cougar challenge so I have the rifle. I thought any sniper rifle would do, but when those fuckers are charging it's hard to focus on a headshot.

I'm consistently getting killed by groups of cougars as I search for red sage trying to help Kid Icarus in Mexico. :|

Also, where are the beavers? Been looking around Aurora Basin and haven't seen any.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i finally got passed 'that' part of the game..one side comment..i really..and i cant stress this enough .fucking HATE the duels in this game..why turn something based on twitch speed into a pointless fucking mini puzzle?..really fucking irritiating mechanic in an otherwise stellar game

comrade

Gr1mLock said:
i finally got passed 'that' part of the game..one side comment..i really..and i cant stress this enough .fucking HATE the duels in this game..why turn something based on twitch speed into a pointless fucking mini puzzle?..really fucking irritiating mechanic in an otherwise stellar game
It's really not twitch based at all and is really easy.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
comrade said:
Care to share? Can't stand duels either, they often seem so random. I get the cursor to the center of the dudes body and pull the trigger before he does, yet it's a minimal jump on the bar.

I think the implementation of duels is one of the weaker things in the game; add in the lack of a real tutorial for them and it's just a mess.

If I knew someone were just starting out I'd tell them (in addition to how the stupid duels actually work) that you can disarm any of the random challengers you get, but don't even bother to try for any of the story/side-mission related ones. I tried to disarm in nearly every single duel I was in and it cost me a few lives.

EDIT:
Wellington said:
Care to share? Can't stand duels either, they often seem so random. I get the cursor to the center of the dudes body and pull the trigger before he does, yet it's a minimal jump on the bar.

You are supposed to pull the trigger as the pulsing cursor is white and tiny. That makes the blue bar rise a lot more. It's really a sloppy system which doesn't really evoke a sense of dueling at all.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
comrade said:

i didnt say it was twitchy..i said it SHOULD have been twitchy..duels were based on who drew the gun first and shot the other guy..not who mines a planet ala mass effect 2 style

*edit* thanks foom..that did help

Bizzyb

Banned
foomfoom415 said:
I think the implementation of duels is one of the weaker things in the game; add in the lack of a real tutorial for them and it's just a mess.

If I knew someone were just starting out I'd tell them (in addition to how the stupid duels actually work) that you can disarm any of the random challengers you get, but don't even bother to try for any of the story/side-mission related ones. I tried to disarm in nearly every single duel I was in and it cost me a few lives.

EDIT:

You are supposed to pull the trigger as the pulsing cursor is white and tiny. That makes the blue bar rise a lot more. It's really a sloppy system which doesn't really evoke a sense of dueling at all.

So true. I had to kill everyone in every duel that was related to the story/side missions. Shit I even had FULL BAR once and I STILL could not get the gun out of his hand, OR at least the shot off first. Tried about 10 times with one guy and I just could NOT do it. So I just filled the bastard full of lead (after 3 times of just trying to do that).

Dueling is sometimes a broken mess.

Weak.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed a lot of the mission design up until this point (Mexico), but I'm starting to get that familiar GTA feeling where suddenly the game's general forward momentum has totally flatlined, and the missions aren't exactly getting any fresher.

Your princess is in another castle was just a total cop out of an ending for New Austin. It had such a great, well-paced build up, too.

I have as of yet avoided most side-quests and the like, I might start doing some of those as a palette cleanser.

Also, why has my Dead Aim suddenly been gimped? It used to auto-tag, which I kind of liked.

Glad I played what I have, it was totally worthwhile, but unless the story and mission design suddenly kick me in the ass with some new twist, I'm not sure how much longer it will be able to hold me.

Rez said:
Also, why has my Dead Aim suddenly been gimped? It used to auto-tag, which I kind of liked.

I was surprised at this too, but you quickly realize how much better it is. No longer are you accidentally wasting 3 or 4 bullets on a single dude (and his horse). You can drop everyone in a single a shot to the head much easier. In fact, if anything this version of Dead Aim probably makes things a little too easy.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rez said:
I really enjoyed a lot of the mission design up until this point (Mexico), but I'm starting to get that familiar GTA feeling where suddenly the game's general forward momentum has totally flatlined, and the missions aren't exactly getting any fresher.
I agree with you, but I think the flatline comes later on in the game, after completing Mexico. I'm doing side quests in order to keep the game fresh.

vhfive

Has anyone done Master Hunter II - Rank 4. It's the one where
one have to kill the legendary jaguar "Khan". I must have killed at least 50 cougars (using all of my ammo for all my guns) in the red circle and he still didn't show up. Is there something you need to do to gat him to show up?

Top Bottom