• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

RedStep

seat said:
I'm not saying everyone in public online games is stupid, but... yeah, generally, the majority of XBL is stupid. Do you two seriously want to argue that it's not? If so, you'd be proving my point.

And yet, you only contributed to that demographic by arguing with a stranger for several minutes over spelling. I think that if I had been in that game and overheard that exchange, I would have come to the same conclusion as you.

seat

RedStep said:
And yet, you only contributed to that demographic by arguing with a stranger for several minutes over spelling. I think that if I had been in that game and overheard that exchange, I would have come to the same conclusion as you.
I kept it brief and left out the details. If I had told the story you would agree with me. Regardless, I'm over it.

unomas

Banned
I finally opened up my copy of Red Dead 2 days ago and started playing, my fiance is completely hooked. The atmosphere, characters, and beginning parts of the story have her completely hooked. I'm not very far into the game, just 3 hours or so, but I have to say so far the game is excellent. GTA IV did nothing for me, but Red Dead is simply amazing so far. Can't wait to get back to it tomorrow.

eshwaaz

End spoilers (if you haven't seen the credits roll, don't look!):
I just beat it, and I feel drained. I can't believe how powerful the entire ending was (from John's death through to the end credits). The way the game plays out after Dutch dies is so brilliantly unorthodox and unexpected; I can't think of any experience to compare it to. The relationship between John and his wife, and the bonding between him and his son were so well-handled; so natural and believable. With each mission I kept holding my breath, waiting for something to go horribly wrong, but I assumed either Abigail or Jack would end up dying. When John was gunned down, I was slack-jawed.

Even with Jack ultimately killing Ross and avenging his father, I still miss playing as John. Still, I wouldn't change a thing - it was an amazing end to an amazing game. Rockstar San Diego deserves serious kudos for this one.

Hey You

Finally went out and rented RDR(People were hogging it and not returning it). I'm liking the game so far. It's gonna take a little more getting used to after playing GTA IV so much.
I hate how random people come after you.:lol

Dizzle24

I'm glad there is a "Mission replay" feature so I can play some of the awesome missions again without starting a new game. This is my game of the forever.
I never really felt connected to characters in other games like I was in RDR. JM for life! :lol

Falt said:
Just got prompted for an update (360). Hope this has a fix for multiplayer. Jumping on!

Edit: "You were removed...blah blah blah"

Bah, guess not.

Best of all, I can't use my Improved Campfire at all now.

I click on it and nothing happens. (Yes, I know I need to be out in the wilderness to use it)
So now, no fast travel for me using the campsite.

AND...none of the merchants in Escalera show up now so I can't get the rebeldes uniform.

Pretty discouraging.

eshwaaz said:
End spoilers (if you haven't seen the credits roll, don't look!):
I just beat it, and I feel drained. I can't believe how powerful the entire ending was (from John's death through to the end credits). The way the game plays out after Dutch dies is so brilliantly unorthodox and unexpected; I can't think of any experience to compare it to

it feels like disc 4 of shenmue 2 to me, you've beat the boss, then it's just cruising through china at your own pace as you bond with shenhua, a character only seen in small flashes before then... I had a similar feeling as I played the end of RDR.

It was very enjoyable, but I didn't like how John walked out of the barn and copped it, I could've taken all those lawmen down so it annoyed me, kill the character off in an unwinnable situation please!
plus fighting my way to dutch only to have him drop off a cliff is a bit annoying too, some boss fight!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
My friend and I just spent 2 hours punching and knifing bears/cougars :lol.

jizzlobber said:
it feels like disc 4 of shenmue 2 to me, you've beat the boss, then it's just cruising through china at your own pace as you bond with shenhua, a character only seen in small flashes before then... I had a similar feeling as I played the end of RDR.

It was very enjoyable, but I didn't like how John walked out of the barn and copped it, I could've taken all those lawmen down so it annoyed me, kill the character off in an unwinnable situation please!
plus fighting my way to dutch only to have him drop off a cliff is a bit annoying too, some boss fight!

There were no boss fights in the wild west XD. but i have to admit. a harder edgar ross standoff or a harder dutch fight would be better for the game. maybe in the next DLC.

Dizzle24 said:
I'm glad there is a "Mission replay" feature so I can play some of the awesome missions again without starting a new game. This is my game of the forever.
I never really felt connected to characters in other games like I was in RDR. JM for life! :lol
It would be really great if this became a standard feature in open world games... really adds a lot of replay value.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
still find it a little annoying but mostly disappointing and jarring that John Marston is little more than the biggest errand boy in the history of gaming. I seriously can't remember a character who is bossed around by everyone he meets and does little errands for everyone and anyone who asks.

I think its more the crowd being forgiving of this than the writers being any good that he can maintain his badass persona, if I was to be my usual picky self, I would probably hold it against the game. However I find myself accepting it and just enjoying the game for what it is, but this stuff always breaks the illusion for me, feels a little false, like a character was shoe-horned into a game and doesn't quite fit right.

Most of the talks are like this:

JM: Listen I don't have time for this! I have my own problems and you're gonna help me or I will kill you
NPC: yes I respect you have problems but so do I dammnit!! and only you can help me!
JM: sigh... ok then lets go.

For this reason it s a great game but it doesnt rank as one of the games of the generation or GOTY for me. All the bugs and sparse multiplayer don't help its cause.

Still very enjoyable though and one of the very few games I will attempt to finish and 100%

kaizoku said:
still find it a little annoying but mostly disappointing and jarring that John Marston is little more than the biggest errand boy in the history of gaming. I seriously can't remember a character who is bossed around by everyone he meets and does little errands for everyone and anyone who asks.

Every RPG protagonist ever.

Shaneus

kaizoku said:

I think its more the crowd being forgiving of this than the writers being any good that he can maintain his badass persona, if I was to be my usual picky self, I would probably hold it against the game. However I find myself accepting it and just enjoying the game for what it is, but this stuff always breaks the illusion for me, feels a little false, like a character was shoe-horned into a game and doesn't quite fit right.

Most of the talks are like this:

JM: Listen I don't have time for this! I have my own problems and you're gonna help me or I will kill you
NPC: yes I respect you have problems but so do I dammnit!! and only you can help me!
JM: sigh... ok then lets go.

For this reason it s a great game but it doesnt rank as one of the games of the generation or GOTY for me. All the bugs and sparse multiplayer don't help its cause.

Still very enjoyable though and one of the very few games I will attempt to finish and 100%
Agreed. Not really spoiler worthy, but the random guy where you have to get three of a few different types of flowers? Absolutely pointless. Adds nothing to the plot and what would motivate John to do anything about it?

leng jai

Came across another little random even for the first time. A stranded guy on the side asked me to his his friend, and as soon as I got close to him he lassoed me off my horse and stole it. Pretty silly of him really, because of course I gave him a bullet to the back of his head.

How many stranger missions are there all up? Apparently I haven't even done 15 yet according to the achievements.

Dizzle24 said:
Wait what? There is? How?

I can't believe how bad the
end game
is. Feels so tucked on and ruins the atmosphere. Also I don't want
to play as Jack. He feels off and sounds like a girl on the horse.

Way to bring down an otherwise amazing experience, Rockstar :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's weird, I thought the ending was pretty awesome and powerful but at the same time
it also made me not want to keep playing after it. I wish I left a separate save with John before the ranch sequence.

bunbun777

schennmu said:
end game

There is a cheat to *end game spoilers*
play as Jack-- why in the hell did they not include a cheat to play as John? I have no reason but I still think they will patch it in-- who knows-

Tricky I Shadow said:
So I just
killed Bill Williamson and am leaving Mexico.

How much more do I have? Please tell me a lot more!
How much time you spent in New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso respectively should give you a good idea as to how much time you'll spend in West Elizabeth.

schennmu said:
end game

I disagree.

Dead Man

bunbun777 said:
There is a cheat to *end game spoilers*
play as Jack-- why in the hell did they not include a cheat to play as John? I have no reason but I still think they will patch it in-- who knows-
Agree, that is one of the most needed cheats!

How much time you spent in New Austin and Nuevo Paraiso respectively should give you a good idea as to how much time you'll spend in West Elizabeth.

Oh wow! I knew that the game had three main parts to it, but I was thinking that the third was going to be much shorter than the previous two. Awesome! :D

Tricky I Shadow said:
Oh wow! I knew that the game had three main parts to it, but I was thinking that the third was going to be much shorter than the previous two. Awesome! :D
Mileage varies from person to person, of course. Honestly, I would say it's about as long as the New Austin section.

bj00rn_

Banned
Shaneus said:
Agreed. Not really spoiler worthy, but the random guy where you have to get three of a few different types of flowers? Absolutely pointless. Adds nothing to the plot and what would motivate John to do anything about it?

Because he misses his wife and thus projects himself........? Marston didn't want to leave his family for the revisit of his murky past, he was pushed into it. Romance is a breather from that. I find it kinda odd that you missed that important aspect of the story/plot.

I just got the game yesterday, I wasn't believing the hype (especially after I heard some not so great things pre-release). But after staying up till 1am playing and then getting up at 7am to play more, I can say that this is the most addicted I have been to a game since Mass Effect 2.

Hey You said:
Finally went out and rented RDR(People were hogging it and not returning it). I'm liking the game so far. It's gonna take a little more getting used to after playing GTA IV so much.
I hate how random people come after you.:lol
you must be a bad dude, I never had anyone come after me :D

leng jai

They did a pretty poor job on the gatling gun. Didn't feel meaty at all, especially in comparison to the normal weapons. All the gatling gun sequences were stupid and exactly the same. Hold the trigger until the wave of sacrificial clowns stop coming...

Apocryphon

brandonh83 said:
Just bought it and put in about 30 minutes. I'm happy to say that the game is absolutely deserving of the immense praise it has gotten so far.

30 mins? You haven't even started heading cows yet!

Shaneus said:

You mean you didn't give her a foot massage :lol

Zeliard

Can't wait till I see this ending. :lol

I mean, you've got some calling it one of the greatest endings to a video game ever, while others are saying it practically ruined RDR. Seems very much love it/hate it - when something is that polarizing, if nothing else, it's probably at least unique and unforeseen.

eshwaaz

jizzlobber said:

Good comparison; I'd forgotten about that. It is a very similar vibe - I loved it in that game as well.

After having some time for the ending to soak in, I agree with your second point as well.
I'd taken on that many opponents and survived countless times before. You're right - having John just walk out to his death doesn't make much sense based on previous events and his established character. I suppose it could be interpreted as John realizing that his family would be in constant danger unless he sacrificed himself; the agents would pursue him no matter where he fled.

jizzlobber said:

I'd prefer to think John gave himself up for his family. As some folks in the thread have expressed, Marston may have considered the possibility that so long as men like Edgar Ross exist, he'll have no peace. It also effectively cements the likability of John Marston, and especially why we hate Edgar Ross so much. Marston genuinely tried to leave the outlaw life that didn't want to leave him. He believes in change whereas Ross is blinded by his own definition of justice and such a black-and-white ideal. In some strange way, in the world of RDR, John Marston's death may be the final nail in the coffin for the American west.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
damn it, I rode into Mexico at night, which spoiled it.

is there a cheat to make the game perpetually at sun-rise or sun-set?

Zeliard said:
Can't wait till I see this ending. :lol

I mean, you've got some calling it one of the greatest endings to a video game ever, while others are saying it practically ruined RDR. Seems very much love it/hate it - when something is that polarizing, if nothing else, it's probably at least unique and unforeseen.
seriously.

Dead Man

Rez said:
damn it, I rode into Mexico at night, which spoiled it.

is there a cheat to make the game perpetually at sun-rise or sun-set?

seriously.
Not that I know of, thee is one to change the weather, but I think the clock is locked. You can advance time by making camp and going to the save menu, you don't actually need to save.

Oni Jazar

kaizoku said:

I don't disagree but you've just described every single GTA game.

Ken Masters said:
Just got the game, what should I focus on in this game to get the best experience out it?

I have been finding myself doing missions for an hour, then playing poker for an hour, then hunting for an hour... It is really nuts that I am enjoying all of this.

Dead Man

God damn Unnatural Selection trophy. I have checked my stats against the RDR wiki list and I should have the damn thing. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is a difference between wild and domestic goats?

Ken Masters said:
Just got the game, what should I focus on in this game to get the best experience out it?
Single player is by far the best for me, MP sucks unless you have a private match going. Money is easily gained by hunting, there is no real need to grind, just do what interests you.

Havok

Dead Man said:
God damn Unnatural Selection trophy. I have checked my stats against the RDR wiki list and I should have the damn thing. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there is a difference between wild and domestic goats?

Single player is by far the best for me, MP sucks unless you have a private match going. Money is easily gained by hunting, there is no real need to grind, just do what interests you.
Do you have an owl kill? That's the one I was missing, they're hard to see. Got mine at Beecher's Hope at night.

Top Bottom