• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Pennybags

Meus Renaissance said:
I don't really know how much of a bad-guy you can be in this game though. Sure, you can shoot civilians, wear a bandana and have a bounty on you, but the in-game interaction between the characters would I imagine remain exactly the same, and you would still have the reluctant-hero politely saying Hello and Thank You, would you not? It's times like this I wish Bioware's interactive dialogue system was in these type of games

IIRC, Marston's quips and town-speak (B button) dialogue change depending on your current state of honor. For example, the usual "Hello, sir!" would be replaced by "Get out of my way!".

I agree that a cutscene dialogue system would have been nice. Somewhat jarring that no matter how much of a damned bastard I was between missions, Marston always acted like a polite little boy scout during cinematics.

CozMick said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ex...ed-dead/700834
Nice! Too bad I have to wait some time before I can play it.

So I finally
killed Edgar Ross. Then the credits started with this beautiful song. I felt so sad. No ending had the same effect on me since MGS3. Just beautiful. Writing is just fantastic in this game, probably the best written game of this generation. I wish my english was better so I could tell why exactly.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Ok so maybe I missed this but is there any way to prevent your horse from following you when you are out in the wild?

I'm trying to sneak up on my bounties but my fucking horse alerts them EVERYTIME.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I accidentally read a spoiler so I figured I might as well power through the rest of the game. "Finished" it just a while ago. Pretty good. I agree with Fowler on almost everything he said.

Now, to 100% or no. :|

Teknoman

Can someone reinvite me to the PSN RDR Chatroom? My 60gig died, so I had to switch to a 120gb slim. Doing this, reactivating, etc. knocked me out of both RDR and Uncharted 2 chatrooms. PSN TeknomanEX

Also Outlaw rafting tomorrow :lol

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
After around 20 hours or so, I have found that I am rushing through the storyline. The optional content like the challenges seem pointless to me all of a sudden... guess I am just pissed off that even though I already like, collect a hundred of plant/meat/skin A, the game would just casually say "Collect 9129301203102 more of plant/meat/skin A in addition that you already have!"

FUCK THAT! Why wouldn't the game just let me go with what I already have? Additional unnecessary shit like this only serve as useless padding to the game. It pisses me off.

Also the Honor system is useless. Why would I be a bad guy if the mission/cutscenes all played out the same? All it promotes is just huuuuge inconsistency between gameplay and the narration if I choose to become a bad guy, ultimately breaking the immersion and the believability of John Marston's character. Why bother introducing Honor system if the game's narration forcibly pushes you into a good guy with how it narrates the story unless you want your character to become horribly inconsistent?

Bah. I am now just arrived in Blackwater and just plowing through the main missions. Maybe an occasion I will do Stranger missions (since they're nice although some of them amounts nothing more than collect this collect that mission, bah!), but FUCK the challenges and everything else. Just the main mission.

Not planning to replay this... I hope at the very least the conclusion is satisfactory.

Datwheezy said:
Read this today: (talks about the ending, so DO NOT read unless you have seen the credits roll) http://mwclarkson.blogspot.com/2010/06/real-john-marston.html

Thought it was a pretty interesting idea, even though obviously not supported in any way by the game. It also made me think that the idea of an unreliable narrator for a game could be really interesting if done well.

Excellent read. I think the same as you though.

Roxas said:
Hey guys, just wanna say Outlaws DLC pack is up on the EU Playstation Store now :D

15MB

Ah cool, I thought it wasnt going to be up till 6pm for some reason, will download tonight.

Do you get experience for multiplayer when doing the co op missions? (grinding the gang hideouts is long)

Fowler

Datwheezy said:
Read this today: (talks about the ending, so DO NOT read unless you have seen the credits roll) http://mwclarkson.blogspot.com/2010/06/real-john-marston.html

Thought it was a pretty interesting idea, even though obviously not supported in any way by the game. It also made me think that the idea of an unreliable narrator for a game could be really interesting if done well.

I agree: Really interesting idea, but not one the game really supports.

But one place where I completely disagree with the article is the notion that it's more satisfying. It goes back to what bishoptl and ScOULaris were saying: This is a true ROLE-PLAYING game. You play the role of John Marston. And for that to happen, you need to connect with the character.

Yeah, a guy with fairly modern ideas of women's rights is completely out of touch with the Old West setting -- but entirely necessary to make you feel like you are John Marston. You need to be able to find a little bit of yourself in a character to properly connect, IMO, and a character who screwed whores and beat women at every turn would be probably be difficult for anyone living in 2010 to empathize with. And I feel like the game, particularly the ending, was so great because John's journey became almost personal.

The idea of a "fictional" character is a really cool idea, but not for RDR. I'd love to see someone try to tackle this in another game, though. It actually seems like the sort of thing BioWare would do.

Dead Man

DRock said:
Any impressions on the new coop missions? I'm struggling at work here... :(
Yeah, my main coop guy is away until the weekend, don't want to play them for the first time with a public scrub! Hope its good. Even just letting us do a few more activities from the single player would be awesome.

Sacha

DRock said:
Any impressions on the new coop missions? I'm struggling at work here... :(

They're pretty cool, diversified and all. I'm just a bit disappointed that there's no mission involving a train. :D I'm missing only one gold medal, then I'll move on to the missions in difficult.

Square Triangle said:
Anyone want to tear up the coop missions later on? (PS3)

I'm down. My PSN ID is Poticha, feel free to add me.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
bishoptl said:
Best game I've played in the last two years, hands down.

Normally after completing the story in a R* game, I start pissing about - stacking up cars in intersections and blowing them up, going sociopath sniper on rooftops, all the antisocial stuff. It's fun to blow off some steam after dealing with Niko's idiot cousin, that idiotic final nightclub level in Gay Tony, etc.

Not this time. I played through RDR as a good guy. As good as the story would allow me to be. Now that John's dead, it feels like going sociopath as Jack would be dishonoring John's memory somehow. Ridiculous, I know - but that's how I feel. No other explanation for it. In fact, I'll probably start a brand new game and play as a bad guy instead, just so I don't "contaminate" this particular saved game and the ride it took me on.

Kudos, Rockstar. This is what game narrative should be.

Jack's final act in the game dishonored John enough already. He took everything John tried to instill in the boy and threw it all out of the window in a fleeting moment of revenge. Jack is basically Rockstar saying "It's okay. Go nuts now. Go get the bounty achievements and such if you haven't already.

Then again, perhaps I feel that way because John's character frustrated me to no end during the Dickens/Irish/whatshisname missions all the way until the end. He became a whiny bitch, killing indiscriminately to accomplish his goal. Hell, John helps plunge a portion of a foreign country into a worse hell than they were already in!

Then I'm suppose to feel bad John's fate? Don't think so.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Dead Man said:
Yeah, my main coop guy is away until the weekend, don't want to play them for the first time with a public scrub! Hope its good. Even just letting us do a few more activities from the single player would be awesome.
My main coop guy's xbox RROD yesterday. I hope he can borrow someone's xbox tonight so I can play some coop goodness.

Did I also hear correctly that the download also opens up more ambient challenges, like over 100?

DonMigs85

The Fort Mercer hideout/gunslinger bit keeps resetting for me. Is this normal?
I already completed it and Leon survived to get his treasure, but if I pass by the area again later he's back outside again!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Guts Of Thor said:
Ok so maybe I missed this but is there any way to prevent your horse from following you when you are out in the wild?

I'm trying to sneak up on my bounties but my fucking horse alerts them EVERYTIME.

are you dismounting before stopping completely (R1/RB)? If you hop off while moving, he'll keep moving himself.

Montresor

Hello Red Dead GAF. I started this game today and I think this will be a home away from home for the next month (probably). My initial impressions are very favourable... I love that right off the bat it seems just like GTA in the old, wild, lawless west.

One thing I am worried about is this "missable" achievement that I've read about. Spurred To Victory.

As long as I never mount random horses and always hitch the same horse I'll eventually get it? I think I'm just gonna stick to that horse Bonnie gave me (all I've done so far is help her patrol and kill some coyotes).

DonMigs85 said:
The Fort Mercer hideout/gunslinger bit keeps resetting for me. Is this normal?
I already completed it and Leon survived to get his treasure, but if I pass by the area again later he's back outside again!

Yup, that's normal. Gang hideouts reset ever in-game day (I believe).

nourali2 said:
As long as I never mount random horses and always hitch the same horse I'll eventually get it? I think I'm just gonna stick to that horse Bonnie gave me (all I've done so far is help her patrol and kill some coyotes).

You don't need to hitch a horse once it's yours. Hitching a different horse is what will replace the one you currently have. So it's actually safe to ride other horses as long as you don't hitch them. Just make sure yours doesn't get killed before you do the required number of missions. Those damn cougars hate horses!

Radogol

nourali2 said:

You can mount random horses as often as you like, just make sure not to hitch them. I got the achievement without knowing about it so you shouldn't have any problems.

NekoFever

Laughing Banana said:
Also the Honor system is useless. Why would I be a bad guy if the mission/cutscenes all played out the same? All it promotes is just huuuuge inconsistency between gameplay and the narration if I choose to become a bad guy, ultimately breaking the immersion and the believability of John Marston's character. Why bother introducing Honor system if the game's narration forcibly pushes you into a good guy with how it narrates the story unless you want your character to become horribly inconsistent?
John Marston's character isn't a murderous bad guy, though. The game is about his redemption as he tries to get away from his old life of crime, and even then they make it pretty clear that he wasn't all bad. You can play it as a monster because it's an open enough game to let you do that, but the character has a pretty clear arc, whether you choose to play him or not. They couldn't really avoid the issue without turning Marston into a Gordon Freeman kind of character.

Agree on the 'in addition to any you already have' thing, though. Hated that.

jkanownik

Wellington said:
Now, to 100% or no. :|

Yes. You'll see new outfits, legend bonuses and random characters along the way. It's a bit of a grind but there isn't anything frustrating in it like there was in GTA IV

(WHY THE F(@#&@ IS MY MOTORCYCLE FLIPPING OVER? GO STRAIGHT GOD DAMN IT!!! WTF, HOW DID I MISS THAT JUMP? YOU MEAN I CAN JUMP TOO FAR?!?! FU R*!@!)

Rikyfree

In the I Know You missions,
I find it funny in the last part that the man says it's a fine spot. If you notice, he's standing directly on John's future grave.

ckohler

Radogol said:
You can mount random horses as often as you like, just make sure not to hitch them. I got the achievement without knowing about it so you shouldn't have any problems.

nourali2, something to be aware of: There is one stranger encounter in the game (in Mexico) where you will be asked to hitch a different horse than your own to complete it. So, you might want to skip finishing that encounter until you have this achievement. You can always complete that particular stranger encounter at any-time afterwards.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Yeah the DLC isn't running too smoothly. Me and two friends have managed only 2 games not freezing / crashing or finishing (i.e. the game doesn't activate a check point). And that's trying for about 4 hours.

So far I've only gotten a game out of two of them. The other 4 just freeze while loading (the Escape and Ransom ones we tried a few times but nothing, and the Walton's Gold mission glitches when you get half way through).

Maybe too much traffic...

Finally got this awesome game, haven't gotten too far into the story and didn't try out the online yet but this game is awesome, my favorite part so far are amount of random encounters and strangers you just meet randomly in the game.

Sielys

With the new DLC, if you fast-travel to twin rocks you instantly clear it, I'm getting 400xp every 3 seconds by spamming the replay button.

DodgerSan

Three buddies and I played right through the co-op this evening with zero problems (UK).

Very cool for a free download, and with the new challenges there's scope for replayability.

nli10

Kintaro said:
Jack's final act in the game dishonored John enough already. He took everything John tried to instill in the boy and threw it all out of the window in a fleeting moment of revenge. Jack is basically Rockstar saying "It's okay. Go nuts now. Go get the bounty achievements and such if you haven't already.

Then again, perhaps I feel that way because John's character frustrated me to no end during the Dickens/Irish/whatshisname missions all the way until the end. He became a whiny bitch, killing indiscriminately to accomplish his goal. Hell, John helps plunge a portion of a foreign country into a worse hell than they were already in!

Then I'm suppose to feel bad John's fate? Don't think so.

More ending discussion:

I thought that the final mission with Jack Marston was a cool idea. And the Ultimate test of morality - could you confront your dad's killer and then forgive them to show that he raised you better? Unfortunately RockStar saw the Jack character as a McGuffin to enable players to carry on after the end, and just tacked on a mission where you kill an old man for revenge. Didn't really work for me.

I get that Jack is supposed to be bad due to daddy issues, but they seemed to work through those in the Homestead missions. I guess I was wrong because that kid's an absolute bastard to his horses.

There are a couple of other things I spotted on the way through, but the hijacking and execution of my character that I am supposed to be playing by the writers on three occasions during the story is my main gripe and a little too DVD and not enough game for my liking. There are a lot cleverer ways of putting the family in similar situations which they didn't explore.

I didn't like the finality of the Barn showdown. I could see them all outside and I know I can hole up in Bonnie's barn and kill a heck of a lot of lawmen. One dynamite and it'd have been a very different set of circumstances. John has no reason to give up as it'd endanger his family more by not being able to prevent them being followed.

Also - if we are in the future why is everything still exactly the same as when John dies? Another hint that the ending was changed?

Otherwise a very, very good game and much better than I expected from Rockstar. I will buy another of their games next generation to see how they have moved the genre on again. I hope they actually spend time with horses next time instead of just looking at lots of video footage though, some of the AI & 'horse-breaking' was hilarious to anyone who grew up on a stables.

Enjoying the Ach. too - a decent list all with reasons to complete that give gameplay rewards and not just random tasks.

The story as discussed above was weak in places compared to other mediums but good for a game.

k0ji-wd

Sielys said:
With the new DLC, if you fast-travel to twin rocks you instantly clear it, I'm getting 400xp every 3 seconds by spamming the replay button.

Could you explain in more detail please? Maybe this will finally mean I can get that top MP rank achievement :lol

Top Bottom