• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

qirex99

Banned
TelemachusD said:
I haven't finished the game yet (up to Reyes in Mexico), but so far I'm finding it boring, and pretty tedious. It looks great and sounds good too, but it keeps with GTA4's style of "follow the path or fail" mission design, giving the player very little choice in taking on any particular thing. Dead or alive bounties are cool, but the story missions are so scripted there's not much room for player creativity.

The AI is whack-a-mole brain dead, the shooting (on normal) requires no skill (I've never felt the need to ever use dead eye), and nearly every mission is a combination of riding something, shooting guys, and shooting guys while riding something, all of which I'm getting tired of.

The story is so completely ridiculous: "I need to catch this bad guy, so I'm going to murder hundreds of dudes for you so you'll help me in some small way, but I'm really a good guy." The setting feels like it's trying to be realistic, but the sheer numbers of enemies you mow down would fill every settlement on the map several times over. There's no sense of continuity from one mission to the next. For example, there's a massacre at a farm, and the very next day I'm there trying to help some moron sell snake oil to a crowd of people, and the farm appears to be just fine. Every character I've met so far is annoying, and they all like to babble on incessantly in cut scenes and on interminable horse rides on the way to shoot guys. What's worse, my character feels like a gullible idiot who'll agree to do anything anyone asks him without bothering to think of his own solution.

Sorry I'm so down on a game a lot of people in this thread really enjoy, but that's how I feel.

You're not alone. These are my exact sentiments. I was on the fence btw this and JC2 and foolishly let the Gamspot tool sway me. Anyhow, I traded RDR for JC2 on the handy GAF trade thread and enjoy JC2 orders of magnitude more.

I found RDR to be very boring and dull. I fell asleep several times - while the game does look good, I found myslef forcing myself to "break" horses, chase coyotes and other nonsensical shit that I had zero desire to do. Even the cut scenes are boring. And the whole GTA style driven story really falls apart here...

There's zero continuity between what happened before the mission and when the chick starts chattin you up.

Its funny b/c JC2 chaos system deftly sidesteps this issue. By encouraging the player to cause chaos by "any means" completing side mission or just blowing stuff up moves the story forward _ AND IT MAKES SENSE!.

Ultimately, maybe its me, but i would rather free fall for 30 sec onto an military airport, grapple onto a harrier about to take off, hijack the plane as it takes off, turn the bitch around, dodge incoming SAMs, crash freshly hijacked plane into an oil rig, parachute to safety, jack an attack chopper and rip the rest of the platform to shreds chuckling to myself - than play POKER in an wild west saloon and ride covered wagons??????

GQman2121

Banned
So you get all of that for $10? Or each pack is $10 apiece? If it's the latter, that would be insane. The community would be so splintered, it would be damn near impossible to enjoy.

soldat7

Where's my "The Lost and the Dagnabit" and "The Ballad of Gay Reyes"? I really want full story expansions, not more multiplayer stuff.

GQman2121 said:
So you get all of that for $10? Or each pack is $10 apiece? If it's the latter, that would be insane. The community would be so splintered, it would be damn near impossible to enjoy.

Looks like $10 a piece to me. I'm currently only getting the Zombie pack, didn't care much for the multiplayer in this game. I really hope they make the "TBD" pack with the anti-griefing free though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
soldat7 said:
Where's my "The Lost and the Dagnabit" and "The Ballad of Gay Reyes"? I really want full story expansions, not more multiplayer stuff.

Yeah, I was also disappointed to see that they've only announced one pack that includes single player content but I still think they'll add some GTAIV style expansions. I mean, RDR has been a big success for them so far and it seems like they'd be losing out on a lot of potential cash by NOT doing it. Then again, didn't the GTAIV expansions not sell very well?

I really want it though, I love this game so much but right now I don't really have much to do aside from a couple challenges.

I just can't get into the MP for some reason. I liked the idea of free roam but it always ends up just being me running around an open field by myself as people ride around on horses and take pot shots at me. I don't have many people on my friends list playing RDR online anymore and it's hard to find a good group with randoms.

Montresor

Oh my god yes! Multiplayer Liar's Dice and Poker... i'm so excited!:D :D :D

I've been addicted to this game for the past two weeks. I've almost earned the main game 1000. I just have the Level 50 achievement left (I'm at level 42). I haven't done a single bit of co-op though and I'm worried that's going to be really really hard to complete 100%.

What's your experience, GAF, with the gold-star-every-advanced-co-op-mission achievement/trophy?

Wowbagger

nourali2 said:
What's your experience, GAF, with the gold-star-every-advanced-co-op-mission achievement/trophy?

Surprisingly easy. Seems only points matter, so take your time, go for headshots and chain kills as much as possible for bonus points.

Rockstar's got its priorities ass-backwards. Nobody'll give a shit about the multiplayer eight or ten months from now. The single-player is where people will always wind up going. Pour DLC into that, if they must. There's a ton of "map" that could be used for new areas.

Montresor

Wowbagger said:
Surprisingly easy. Seems only points matter, so take your time, go for headshots and chain kills as much as possible for bonus points.

Awesome. I want to complete RDR really badly. I love this game.

I can't believe they're actually going to add Liar's Dice / Poker in the multiplayer. That's gonna be so good. And there's going to be some "anti-griefing measures" in free roam. :D

disappeared said:
Rockstar's got its priorities ass-backwards. Nobody'll give a shit about the multiplayer eight or ten months from now. The single-player is where people will always wind up going. Pour DLC into that, if they must. There's a ton of "map" that could be used for new areas.

Yeah bitterly dissapointed they are releasing 2 whole packs dedicated to adding more multiplayer maps.

Definetely agree that there are too many multiplayer dedicated things in that DLC reports. If anything, they should've just made:

- One big multiplayer PvP pack with the new maps, and modes, and factions
- One big "Free Roam Pack" with the new skins, new Free Roam challenges, new weapons, Free Roam mini games, and all the other stuff
- One big Singleplayer pack with the new random events, missions, animals, etc.

Anything applicable would be used across both singleplayer and multiplayer, people could buy what they want according to what they play the most, and everyone would be happy.

The pack don't seem to be focused enough IMO. Also, I agree that the community will be split too much because of the nature of all these packs. Having bigger GTAIV-like expansions that include EVERYTHING for $20 would be MUCH, much better.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That DLC is a lot of money for not a lot of content, it's pretty ridiculous. Considering GTA4 had some of the best value DLC ever (40 hours in Gay Tony and counting...) this really sucks. Multiplayer DLC is almost always a bad idea since it splits the community and RDR's multi is pretty crap anyway. A real shame but I'll be saving a pretty penny by not buying any of it.

MNC

Hey, if you have a group of friends playing, I'll definitely play this 8 to 10 months from now. Some friends still play GTA4 freeroam. (I actually didn't even like GTA4)

All I can say is, bring on more co-op missions.

Bizzyb

Banned
Looks like I'll be picking up that Undead DLC. Wish they included the tomahawk in that one as well.

Oh well...

EDIT: What the FUCK!?? I just noticed, these a four different releases?? For some reason I saw them as just two releases. Dammit Rockstar what the hell?? Why would you splinter your base by 4? So stupid. Also, it's going to cost damn near $40 to get ALL the experiences?? And this is coming from the same company that gave us TWO FULL games with full multiplayer additions for the same price?

Man, I just may have to boycott this shit unless they either fix the pricing or decide to combine some of this.

Those DLC packs are pretty damn poor. I might buy Liars & Cheats one, just for multiplayer Poker and Liars Dice, but then I think those should have been in multiplayer from the start.

Everything else though I don't really care about. Hurry up Rockstar, and make some single-player DLC in the vein of Lost & Damned/Gay Tony.

In about an hour (11 AM CST) Gamestop.com is going to have RDR new for $24.99 XBX/PS3. Throw an extra 1.99 game in the basket and use the coupon code SAVER for free shipping.

Think this is worth a new thread?

Gekko87

I got a code for "Golden Guns Weapon Pack" for PS3 (Maybe 360?) if anybody wants it. Just PM me I guess.

I should note that I'm not too sure it will work, only because I got a code on a slip inside my game then for some reason Amazon emailed me another one.

MNC

Genesis Knight said:
In about an hour (11 AM CST) Gamestop.com is going to have RDR new for $24.99 XBX/PS3. Throw an extra 1.99 game in the basket and use the coupon code SAVER for free shipping.

Think this is worth a new thread?
Do it, it's a great game and I'm sure people would love to be notified of this.

Also Gekko, sent PM.

I just scrolled up and saw the post about the game being boring; I'm having complete opposite sentiments.

Missions are indeed loosely based upon eachother but I love the dialogue, characters, and while Marshton seems mighty gullible at times, he really, really needs to get to Bill Williamson
Though there have been times he would've easily gotten to him
so he'll do anything possible for his family. I just had the mission where I had to help Seth (grave raider) get to Moses for a map, and I'm loving the scenery, the riding, the setting (It looks the best when it's daytime) and from multiplayer I can already tell Mexico will be a goddamn blast.

I'm constantly itching to play the game more and more, although these West Dickens missions are pretty shit for the story, though entertaining.

jred2k

I don't want to say you won't enjoy it because its different for everyone, but I found New Austin to be the height of the game. Mexico seems like it will be interesting, but once you're there you'll only find about one or two tolerable characters. I found Mexico to be the area where Rockstar fell back into the flaws that usually annoy me in their games. The characters felt exaggerated for no reason other than being a caricature and the missions lost a lot of their variety. However, I do think that part of my frustration came from playing a lot of Free Roam before getting to Mexico or West Elizabeth, so it didn't feel new to me like New Austin did when I started the game.

Binabik15

Radogol said:
Umm... What's wrong about shooting with R2?

It sucks compared to shooting with R1? I prefer R1 shooting over both consoles triggers.

MNC said:
Uh. Shooting with R2 is fine and the graphics are fine as well. If you really can't stand less foliage in some spots and a less bright image, buy 360 version.

I like the multiplayer, but random freeroam isn't that much fun. You should play it with friends, and it'll be alot more fun.

Shooting with R2 isn´t fine at all. It might be decent with DS3s, no idea, but certainly not with my sixaxises. Pushing it down until the trigger connects to the plastic for shooting, no thanks.

And worse graphics are never fine if you have another option.

Tl;dr, looks like I´ll get it for the box. I don´t have RL friends playing console games. That´s "childish" :|

So my bro just got Master Hunter rank 10 but he didn't get anything for it... I know you're meant to get somthing but the game just doesn't want to let him have it :p

Radogol

Binabik15 said:
It might be decent with DS3s, no idea, but certainly not with my sixaxises.

Maybe that's the problem. I have DS3 and I never even realized that I'm shooting with a different button than usual until you brought it up.

Hydranockz said:
So my bro just got Master Hunter rank 10 but he didn't get anything for it... I know you're meant to get somthing but the game just doesn't want to let him have it :p

Are you sure? When he kills an animal, doesn't he get a regenerative item in addition to skin and meat?

DonMigs85

I got used to the PS3 controls, but I always wished that L2/R2 were curved/convex like the Xbox or GameCube shoulder buttons/triggers.
I do admit the 360 version also looks slightly sharper (since it's native 720p versus 640p on PS3) but it's not THAT big a deal, performance is about the same and the lesser foliage isn't a huge deal.

Radogol said:
Are you sure? When he kills an animal, doesn't he get a regenerative item in addition to skin and meat?
Nope... and now his mission indiators aren't showing up (those letters on the radar). It's probably being glitchy :p

I finished the game and my opinion is pretty much unchanged.

MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILERS

First off, the climatic fight against Dutch--consists of me shooting a single bullet at a lamp. Really, this is what we've building up to? Then, I get to go back home and--repeat all the tutorial missions with a whiny son and ultra whiny old guy. At this point it's incredibly obvious there's a twist coming up because otherwise the game would be over, so after a (long) while the government goons shows up and you murder them all....

Oh wait, you murder all but a dozen or so, and then for some reason instead of tossing one of the many sticks of dynamite you have on your person into the conveniently tightly bunched last group, and then moving out of the country and changing your identity, you walk straight up to them and attempt to gun them all down using a weapon with an unfavorable bullet to enemy ratio and inevitably go down in a hail of gunfire. Cue cheesy music and...

Oh, but now you're the son so keep playing; it's years later but that stranger still wants some flowers for his wife. But if you want the true final ending you have to go talk to three separate people whose descriptions will surely identify you to the authorities after you murder a retired government employee, which only counts if you tell him first you're going to do it. The end.

jred2k

In addition to this post^:

SPOILERS
I found it kind of ridiculous that all during the last part of the game the government agents kept telling John how the West was changing and cowboys were becoming all but extinct. Cut to at least 10 years in the future and things haven't changed one bit. The world has now gone through a World War, but there is still one car in all of Texas and Blackwater hasn't expanded even a little.

I know it would have taken a ton of work to re-craft a huge world like RDR's, but it makes the Jack part feel like its just thrown in because. I love that Rockstar is able to make big sandboxes, but I'd really like to see what they could do if they trimmed the excess. At its best RDR is one of the most engaging games I've ever played, but as a whole it wears kind of thin.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
jred2k said:
In addition to this post^:

SPOILERS
I found it kind of ridiculous that all during the last part of the game the government agents kept telling John how the West was changing and cowboys were becoming all but extinct. Cut to at least 10 years in the future and things haven't changed one bit. The world has now gone through a World War, but there is still one car in all of Texas and Blackwater hasn't expanded even a little.

I know it would have taken a ton of work to re-craft a huge world like RDR's, but it makes the Jack part feel like its just thrown in because. I love that Rockstar is able to make big sandboxes, but I'd really like to see what they could do if they trimmed the excess. At its best RDR is one of the most engaging games I've ever played, but as a whole it wears kind of thin.

Only three years pass between John's death and Jack killing Ross.

j-wood

On the PS3, what button can you press when you lasso a horse and are trying to keep it from running away while you move closer? They always just seems to yank me down and then I have to lasso them again.

Jigsaw

Banned
just finished it,what a shit ending

killed my desire to play through the story ever again

great game ruined by one of the least satisfying endings ever

"just like pa showed me" for the rest of the post game?fuck you rockstar

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Jigsaw said:
just finished it,what a shit ending

killed my desire to play through the story ever again

great game ruined by one of the least satisfying endings ever

"just like pa showed me" for the rest of the post game?fuck you rockstar

Did you see the credits? If not it isn't over.

As much as I LOVED RDR, I'm definitely in the disappointed by the DLC announcement crowd.

Legends and Killers Pack - Aside from more skins (yawn) and a new weapon that probably isn't going to be effective in MP anyway, this is basically just more locations for the competitive game types that no one plays anyway? Pass.

Liars and Cheats Pack - More modes that people won't play. It was such a pain in the ass finding players in anything other than freeroam when I was still playing the MP, I can't imagine these modes will have a sufficient player base to keep them alive. I'd really love to be able to play Liars Dice and Poker online, but again, I can't imagine it being easy to find people playing them. Pass.

Free Roam Pack - Getting better. If I was still actively playing the MP, I'd probably go for more gang hideouts. I've already hit level 70 though and didn't find the MP compelling enough to go back to, sadly. And why the hell do I have to pay for anti-griefing fixes? That's like a slap in the face. Or is this one all free? There's no pricing for it in the PR. Pass (unless it's free).

Undead Nightmare Pack - LOVE zombies. Would love them in RDR. Purchasing this one really depends on how much it adds to the game. If it has an actual story and not just 2 or 3 new missions along with some random events then I'm interested. Possible purchase.

It's a shame the DLC isn't more like GTA IV's. I'd love a prequel or to play though some of the main game's important events from the view of another character.

Montresor

Seraphis Cain said:
Only three years pass between John's death and Jack killing Ross.

There goes that.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the DLC announcement (absolutely ridiculous pricing) but it's all completely overshadowed by my excitement for Liar's Dice and Poker online. That's going to be so great. Bluffing, spot-on bids, calling, flushes... :D

Oni Jazar

Jigsaw said:
of course i did and it was still pointless and not satisfying at all

Not satisfying? I couldn't disagree more if I tried. To each his own. I thought the game was nearly perfect. Just dragged a bit in the middle.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I think this game might have ruined the enjoyment for me when I'm playing other games.

Every time I start a new game all I can think about is hurrying up and finishing it so I can go back to Red Dead! It’s too good! : (

Jigsaw

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Not satisfying? I couldn't disagree more if I tried. To each his own.

it was just another boring duel and he was dead instantly,there should have been another dialog afterwards and then *bam* bullet between the eyes,THAT would have been satisfying...i had more fun executing his helpless wife and brother

I thought the game was nearly perfect. Just dragged a bit in the middle.

oh yea,the "mehico" part was way too long

Loxley

On my second playthrough now, since I had the game 100% completed four days after it released, I'm taking my sweet time with everything this time around :D

One thing that still sort of bugged my about one of the stranger's missions (Jenny's Faith) that actually bothered me the first time around:
I really feel like Marston wasn't the kind of guy to just give her the medicine and leave her there even though she asked him to. She was clearly delusional and not well at all, I was expecting John to just say "No, I'm taking you into town to see a doctor" despite that being against her "wishes". It's not like she would have put up a fight or resisted him, she was far too weak to crawl, much less stand. Surprised he didn't ask where her father was either. I just felt like John would have helped her a bit more, since she clearly wasn't thinking rationally.

todahawk

Dash Kappei said:
Is there any reason to dab in multiplayer if I don't have a mic or I can just sell the game once I beat the sp?

If you aren't playing with friends you don't really need a mic. You can hop into Free Roam and just start blasting away.

I've been playing the co-op missions and clearing some gang hideouts with some fellow GAFfers and the mic is very helpful for those types of games.

Does it strike anybody else as kind of funny how pretty much every character you encounter is almost buddy-buddy with Marston in cutscenes and as soon as you are riding with them somewhere they start talking shit on Marston or questioning his motives, lifestyle, etc?

Top Bottom