• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Jedeye Sniv said:
That DLC is a lot of money for not a lot of content, it's pretty ridiculous. Considering GTA4 had some of the best value DLC ever (40 hours in Gay Tony and counting...) this really sucks. Multiplayer DLC is almost always a bad idea since it splits the community and RDR's multi is pretty crap anyway. A real shame but I'll be saving a pretty penny by not buying any of it.

Got a case in point, I downloaded the new modern warfare map pack the other day, now I cant join anyone on my friends list games as it says my playlist is more upto date than theirs.

Definetly a bad idea releasing paid for map packs.

Hootie

Fuck Rockstar and this DLC shit. They could have easily put all that into the original game.

From a business standpoint its a fine idea, but we're just getting raped as usual.

Just finished the "I know who you are" stranger mission.

I totally called it from the first moment I met the guy. Something about his voice really gave me a "Lucifer" vibe. It felt a bit short though, you were put through two tests and he just says "hi" for the third encounter, I would have liked at least one more test. It didn't seem like there were any consequences for my actions, I was always taking the good route though so maybe it would be different if I screwed those people over.

I'm also really loving the music in the third territory.

Wow, so apparently a "dark horse has response to my whistle" because my honor is pretty low. It looks pretty sweet, but I don't remember getting any special type of horse for having high honor.

Huggy

IronFistedChampion said:
Wow, so apparently a "dark horse has response to my whistle" because my honor is pretty low. It looks pretty sweet, but I don't remember getting any special type of horse for having high honor.

Don't you get a coat for going for high honor?

Montresor

Erm... I think I encountered a glitch in co-op. I'm almost positive I've beaten every advanced co-op mission but I didn't get the achievement for it. I had already golded every mission except for Ammunition, and I've never played Ammunition before on advanced. Me and my group silvered it, but no achievement for beating every advanced mission came up. =(

Can someone please help me with the following question: does going legendary (prestige-ing) reset your achievement counting/tracking for co-op? I think I golded (and beat) two of the missions before going legendary.

Yuck at the stat tracking for co-op though. There's no way to find out which ones you've beaten or golded. Yawn. I love the co-op, it's really satisfying to gold an advanced mission with a good group, but the lack of stat tracking is grating my nerves. FUCK.

Loxley

Hootie said:
Fuck Rockstar and this DLC shit. They could have easily put all that into the original game.
Did you sit in on the design meetings? How do you know this is all stuff they could have "easily" added to the retail disc? I'm not saying one way or the other, but it annoys me how people's knee-jerk reactions to all DLC now is to just assume it's shit the developers have had completed since six months before the game released and have just been sitting on it.

I understand anger towards the kind of DLC that's already on the disc and you're essentially paying to unlock it, no arguments there at all. But notice with the announcement of that DLC there were no screenshots, videos or anything. That tells me that none of it is really ready to be shown yet. Besides, three of the four DLC packs don't even have a vague release date yet, which pretty much indicates to me they're not done.

Again, for all I know I could be wrong, maybe Rockstar has had this DLC done since before San Andreas was released, but it just bugs me to see people whine so matter-of-factly about things that they have convinced themselves are true when in fact they have no fucking idea if it is.

All that said, I'll jump on the disappointment bandwagon that most of the DLC is for multiplayer :(

Montresor

Well I golded Ammunition in advanced co-op and it gave me both achievements (beat advanced missions & gold advanced missions). Really weird glitch, seeing as I had already beaten Ammunition on silver. It didn't give me the achievement for beating every advanced mission until I golded Ammunition. *shrugs*

I just need to beat a co-op mission with two people (2 guys 1 co-op) and get a 10-chain kill and I'll have 1100. Whew!

Hey You

I really wish R* would have put Twin Rocks on the in game map so I didn't have to search on google. I searched for a bit and all I found was "Go east of armadillo" "North East". Finally found a wiki with the picture of the location on the map.

And I can't dual worth shit.

Montresor

Hey You said:
I really wish R* would have put Twin Rocks on the in game map so I didn't have to search on google. I searched for a bit and all I found was "Go east of armadillo" "North East". Finally found a wiki with the picture of the location on the map.

And I can't dual worth shit.

Twin Rocks appears on the map if you zoom in a little. If you're zoomed out all the way the in-game map will only show the names of major areas. For example, you'll see only Hennigen's Stead on the map if you're zoomed out, but if you zoom in slightly you'll also read MacFarlane's Ranch. Same with Twin's Rock and a lot of other interesting monuments or settlements, like Ojo del Diablo, the Hanging Rock, etc.

Assemble!

A little lttp, but this is a great game.

Question: Was this patched at all for bugs? Ive had to two freezes so far, but havent hooked up LIVE yet to see if it's been updated with any patches.

MNC

Just made it to Mexico, with the song. Maaaaaan. So good :D In my head a little montage started showing of all John's endeavours so far. Make me appreciate the narrative and story in this game much more.

DonMigs85

Finished the game a couple days ago. Took a little over 36 hours, with 87.8% completion and 52% of the trophies.
Was actually sad during the credits since I didn't want the game to end yet. :(

I don't understand all the gripes about the DLC with RDR. I would understand if the DLC was pivotal to the main story line but it isn't. Without the DLC, you still get a full pledge experience and the DLC is all optional. DLC is only to help out the developers financially as they try to continue provide extra content that may interest fans of the game. Since I don't play the multiplayer mode, the only DLC that has caught my attention is the Single Player Zombie story that is scheduled to come out later this year. All in all, Rockstar created a great experience worth the price of entry. If you hate paying for the optional DLC, don't buy it.

MNC

Does anybody else set up camp and save so it turns daytime before they're going for a ride? :lol The setting's so much more lovely when the sun's burning hot :D

Goldrusher

MNC said:
Just made it to Mexico, with the song. Maaaaaan. So good :D In my head a little montage started showing of all John's endeavours so far. Make me appreciate the narrative and story in this game much more.
There's a similar song when you get to go back to your family. So be sure not to miss that either.

Leunam

MNC said:
Does anybody else set up camp and save so it turns daytime before they're going for a ride? :lol The setting's so much more lovely when the sun's burning hot :D

Sometimes, but if it's a heavy storm at night, I stick around.

Goldrusher said:
There's a similar song when you get to go back to your family. So be sure not to miss that either.

That song was epic. I remember listening to it and riding back to my family as fast as I could to end up crashing into a guy on a cart. Killed him, his horse and my horse. The crash also ended the song playing at the exact moment I hit them. I laughed so hard.

MNC said:

Haha, back when the game came out, and I was playing single-player, there was a heatwave in the UK, and I was really hot all the time, but it actually made me feel a lot more immersed in the game. :D I remember there being a rainy day at one point, and I missed being hot and sweaty, as playing the game felt "off" that day.

MNC said:

I actually don't like disrupting a day/night cycle in games, especially when the sky, and thunderstorms in RDR look so amazing so I did my best to move time ahead as little as possible during the story. I really appreciate how long and varied the day/night cycle is in RDR, Rockstar did an amazing job in that department. Times of day, and types of weather stick around for a long time, and you never feel like "Ugh, it's day/night already?"I wish other open world games would put as much care into the day/night cycle as Rockstar has done this gen.

Crazypanda_85 said:
I don't understand all the gripes about the DLC with RDR. I would understand if the DLC was pivotal to the main story line but it isn't. Without the DLC, you still get a full pledge experience and the DLC is all optional. DLC is only to help out the developers financially as they try to continue provide extra content that may interest fans of the game. Since I don't play the multiplayer mode, the only DLC that has caught my attention is the Single Player Zombie story that is scheduled to come out later this year. All in all, Rockstar created a great experience worth the price of entry. If you hate paying for the optional DLC, don't buy it.

I think you're missing the point. People WANT to buy DLC, and WANT more of this game, but not adversarial multiplayer modes. The DLC should really be focused on Singleplayer, and making Free Roam everything it can be with PvP stuff coming dead last.

Dead Man

Net_Wrecker said:
I think you're missing the point. People WANT to buy DLC, and WANT more of this game, but not adversarial multiplayer modes. The DLC should really be focused on Singleplayer, and making Free Roam everything it can be with PvP stuff coming dead last.
Exactly. Make the Free Roam more like the single player (mini games, co op story missions) and add more single player content, and I would open my wallet for DLC for only the second time. What has been announced is less interesting. RDR is just not a very good PvP game. The controls do not suit that play style.

NeoUltima

I avoid reading anything on the web about the game to avoid spoiling myself before I beat it. I thought I beat it, so I start to look up stuff for endgame...and find out about something I would much rather have found out myself regarding a certain endgame stranger mission. :(
Guess I only have myself to blame.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
My friend bought the game on PS3 and I'm about to cave in but he says that there is no way to prevent auto-aim people from joining your match. I call bullshit. Is that true?

Dead Man

subversus said:
My friend bought the game on PS3 and I'm about to cave in but he says that there is no way to prevent auto-aim people from joining your match. I call bullshit. Is that true?
Don't buy it for the MP. Buy it for the SP, and get some friends to join private MP. Only way to play imo.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dead Man said:
Don't buy it for the MP. Buy it for the SP, and get some friends to join private MP. Only way to play imo.

So that's true then? No playlists for people with no auto-aim?

Dead Man

subversus said:
Don't know, sorry. I only play private with friends. I think some of the game types may limit this, maybe the veteran matches?

big_z

100% the single player
level 24 online

online is burning out for me. it doesnt have enough substantial things to do to build your levels. sure theres tons of small crap to do like pick weeds but the pay off isnt worth while.

i think im going to play alan wake and then come back to this.

subversus said:

You can enter "Hardcore Free Roam" which is "Expert targetting" only. There are also 'Hardcore Gang Matches' and 'Hardcore Free for All', so you shouldn't worry much about it

Dead Man

pslayer666 said:
You can enter "Hardcore Free Roam" which is "Expert targetting" only. There are also 'Hardcore Gang Matches' and 'Hardcore Free for All', so you shouldn't worry much about it
That's the ones I was thinking of. Thanks.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Couple questions:

-Where is a good place to hunt beavers?

-
I just completed the stranger mission, "Eva in Peril" and was wondering if it was possible to kill Mario instead of giving him $200 to free Eva at your first meeting with them?

Guts Of Thor said:
Couple questions:

-
I just completed the stranger mission, "Eva in Peril" and was wondering if it was possible to kill Mario instead of giving him $200 to free Eva at your first meeting with them?

- I tend to find them around Tall Trees. I can't remember seeing them anywhere else.

-
He's a very important part of her mission so I doubt you can kill him. Try it out though, I'm pretty curious to find out if it changes anything.

Parham

Banned
Guts Of Thor said:
Couple questions:

-
If you shoot Mario, you will scare away Eva and fail the mission.

Jigsaw said:
just finished it,what a shit ending

killed my desire to play through the story ever again

great game ruined by one of the least satisfying endings ever

"just like pa showed me" for the rest of the post game?fuck you rockstar

:lol

Exactly how I felt when I finished the game, needless to say, I still think the game, while fun for a while, is overhyped. Let my friend borrow it and can't say I really miss playing the SP or the awful MP. Sad really, I just wish there was more to do, the game just got boring once you finish it. Rockstar games seem to be great for a one time playthrough, but after that, it just goes downhill...

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
So the poker in the DLC is only going to be for playlists, not freeroam? I guess they are doing that so people can't mess up your game by throwing dynamite under the table.

I think the DLC packs sounds pretty good, other than the first one and the prices. I like the online in this game and adding more content definitely increases it's potential.

I still would like to see some single player DLC though.

bryehn

Almost done with Crackdown 2, cant wait to get back to Red Dead Redemption. Best open world game this gen for me, even better than the Saboteur (which I loved).

Would love to see more SP DLC, would be really easy to slip in like Fallout or Oblivion did.

Haven't touched multi yet, not sure I ever will, but multiplayer gambling of any sort is enticing.

j-wood

How does the LAN option work for multi-player on the PS3? I noticed the option the other day when I paused while in multiplayer and went to the multiplayer tab.

Hey You

Just beat the main storyline.

Never would have expected that ending. I went into a thread and some idiot didn't warn about spoilers, so I knew about the ending a week or two ago. :(

JoeBoy101

-PXG- said:
How or when do I get duel to occur in Armadillo? I want my Deadly Assassin suit :mad:

Need to get your fame up a bit. Don't worry, will happen before too long. Its not structured though, its a random event, like the robberies or prostitutes being attacked.

-PXG-

JoeBoy101 said:
Need to get your fame up a bit. Don't worry, will happen before too long. Its not structured though, its a random event, like the robberies or prostitutes being attacked.

I beat the game. My Fame is like 80% full.

Montresor

I think I'm starting to like achievements a little too much. I was thinking about the new DLC and was getting stoked about the possibility of a Liar's Dice or Poker achievement. I just really loved those games in single player and I think they will be fun as hell in multiplayer. The CPU never ever tries to claim a bid as spot-on.

Hung Wei Lo

after spending some time with Transformers WFC, I decided to download the DLC and get a move on some co-op goodness...problem is, I've been trying for a week now and after completing ONE mission, I went from not being able to connect to a game/infinite loading screen to now being able to connect to a game, but having it freeze :(

I kind of liked it better when I could just press the PS button from the comfort of my couch to restart the game...now I have to get up and press the reset button ;_; anyone have similar issues, or am I SOL? I've already tried deleting & reinstalling both the game data/DLC

MNC

subversus said:
You can make an expert free roam I think. And you can make it private. If people are in your posse, they don't have auto aim either.

Garret

This might sound like a stupid question, but I read that one could use a custom soundtrack when playing this game, but I haven't been able to find the option that enables this (I own the PS3 version).

Thanks in advance.-

Bizzyb

Banned
NeoUltima said:
I avoid reading anything on the web about the game to avoid spoiling myself before I beat it. I thought I beat it, so I start to look up stuff for endgame...and find out about something I would much rather have found out myself regarding a certain endgame stranger mission. :(
Guess I only have myself to blame.

Until you see credits the game is never "beat" and even then sometimes it's still not "over", i.e. Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

Garret said:
This might sound like a stupid question, but I read that one could use a custom soundtrack when playing this game, but I haven't been able to find the option that enables this (I own the PS3 version).

Thanks in advance.-

Just press the PS button on the controller. move over to the music section on the XMB and pick a song or playlist. Doesn't work while playing online though.

Top Bottom