• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Jack's voice will man up overtime with cigarettes and whiskey. He's still a very young man.
GOTY tho. Hands down. Mass Effect 2 did good, but this stole my GOTY.

Montresor

3 red rings while doing Pike's Basin runs in free roam. But then I turn on the 360 again and it works fine.

I'm worried. If it breaks again it better be another 3-red ring or an E74 error. My regular 1-year warranty has expired but the 3-year RedLight/E74 warranty is still in effect.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
greenjerk said:
Dude, we seriously need to posse up for some co-op or multiplayer...

Yes definitely. I'm trying to mow through the SP because I don't want to spoil the locations/missions for myself playing in co-op.

I probably won't be able to hold out much longer though. I've been marathoning this the last few days and I'm probably not even halfway through. :lol

It's so atmospheric, and the animation is so good... I find myself walking/trotting most places because it feels very cinematic or whatever. Game is too good.

My only complaint is that when (I'm in hardcore aiming mode) I draw my weapon with L1 it will holster in a couple seconds later if there isn't an enemy around. It's incredibly annoying.

Other than that this is game of the century.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, it's been fun, but I think I'm going to be trading this in towards BlazBlue CS come the end of the month.

It's a wonderful game, and a STRONG contender for my personal GOTY, but I haven't touched it in over a month. Beat the story and have 92.8% overall completion and just don't feel compelled to go for the 100%. And let's face it, RDR is going to be easy as hell to find, and likely $20-30 used within a year. Whereas BBCS is going to be rare as fuck within months.

But I will say that I enjoyed every minute of RDR. Fantastic game. Kudos, Rockstar San Diego. You made a beautiful, compelling, and most importantly FUN game. :D

Seraphis Cain said:
Well, it's been fun, but I think I'm going to be trading this in towards BlazBlue CS come the end of the month.

It's a wonderful game, and a STRONG contender for my personal GOTY, but I haven't touched it in over a month. Beat the story and have 92.8% overall completion and just don't feel compelled to go for the 100%. And let's face it, RDR is going to be easy as hell to find, and likely $20-30 used within a year. Whereas BBCS is going to be rare as fuck within months.

But I will say that I enjoyed every minute of RDR. Fantastic game. Kudos, Rockstar San Diego. You made a beautiful, compelling, and most importantly FUN game. :D

I'm in the same boat. I explored as much as I could in single-player, dabbled in some multiplayer, but yeah... I think I'm redeemed. (har, har).

Redemption is honestly one of those rare games that comes around every once in a while in this industry and basically says to everybody, "fuck you, this is how I'm running things." I couldn't be happier, and when I look back on video games in twenty years, Red Dead Redemption will be a game I'll tell my kids about.

I haven't finished the game yet (up to Reyes in Mexico), but so far I'm finding it boring, and pretty tedious. It looks great and sounds good too, but it keeps with GTA4's style of "follow the path or fail" mission design, giving the player very little choice in taking on any particular thing. Dead or alive bounties are cool, but the story missions are so scripted there's not much room for player creativity.

The AI is whack-a-mole brain dead, the shooting (on normal) requires no skill (I've never felt the need to ever use dead eye), and nearly every mission is a combination of riding something, shooting guys, and shooting guys while riding something, all of which I'm getting tired of.

The story is so completely ridiculous: "I need to catch this bad guy, so I'm going to murder hundreds of dudes for you so you'll help me in some small way, but I'm really a good guy." The setting feels like it's trying to be realistic, but the sheer numbers of enemies you mow down would fill every settlement on the map several times over. There's no sense of continuity from one mission to the next. For example, there's a massacre at a farm, and the very next day I'm there trying to help some moron sell snake oil to a crowd of people, and the farm appears to be just fine. Every character I've met so far is annoying, and they all like to babble on incessantly in cut scenes and on interminable horse rides on the way to shoot guys. What's worse, my character feels like a gullible idiot who'll agree to do anything anyone asks him without bothering to think of his own solution.

Sorry I'm so down on a game a lot of people in this thread really enjoy, but that's how I feel.

Montresor

I want to get a posse of eight GAF'ers going on the 360... I've been playing multiplayer so much over the past few days, trying to get to level 50 (I'm at 34 now). I realized that it can get incredibly fun going from hideout to hideout with a big posse. And helping posse members get journal challenges (can't believe how many there are, I've been addicted to them. yesterday I actually started collecting wild feverfew...).

Evolved1

What's a ballpark estimate for single player length... I'm wondering how much I have left.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I can't kill a snake :mad:

I can't find em. I hear a rattle but that's it. I've only seen 1 up close and that was during a cut scene.

For fun, I turn GOD mode on, jump on top of the train and start shooting people because for some reason, the train can outrun the army.

Hootie said:
25-30 hours I guess?

oh man, I didn't get to Mexico for ~40 hours. :lol

jobber said:

I can't find em. I hear a rattle but that's it. I've only seen 1 up close and that was during a cut scene.

They're literally everywhere. Just run around in the plains for a few minutes.

todahawk

recklessmind said:
What's a ballpark estimate for single player length... I'm wondering how much I have left.

Heh heh, i was wondering the same thing. Which act are you in? I think there's 3 total and I haven't even finished the first. Like you said, I don't want to spoil the SP with MP locations...

BTW, the coop missions were an absolute blast last night. Can't wait to finish off the rest of them and unlock the advanced ones.

todahawk

jobber said:

For fun, I turn GOD mode on, jump on top of the train and start shooting people because for some reason, the train can outrun the army.

Shit, i'm still in act 1 and killed a ton of them around Armadillo. When you hear the rattle start looking around carefully (they'll bite and stun you).

I've been meaning to try and hop on a train to shoot five birds for so long. Problem is, every time I look at the map the damn train is literally on the other side of the map. Is there any easy way to get on the train that I'm somehow missing?

Also, I think I'm almost finished with Mexico and I just now learned how to make a camp. All this time my dumbass was running to the nearest stage coach. So much time and money wasted.

Tkawsome said:
I've been meaning to try and hop on a train to shoot five birds for so long. Problem is, every time I look at the map the damn train is literally on the other side of the map. Is there any easy way to get on the train that I'm somehow missing?

Also, I think I'm almost finished with Mexico and I just now learned how to make a camp. All this time my dumbass was running to the nearest stage coach. So much time and money wasted.

trains are always on their set courses. You'll have to hoof it on horseback (or be a pussy and wait in town) to catch one.

a good tip is to go to your map, see where the train is, go back to the game, wait a few moments, then check the map again and check the train's direction.

Evolved1

greenjerk said:
Heh heh, i was wondering the same thing. Which act are you in? I think there's 3 total and I haven't even finished the first. Like you said, I don't want to spoil the SP with MP locations...

BTW, the coop missions were an absolute blast last night. Can't wait to finish off the rest of them and unlock the advanced ones.

Glad you had fun, because I had a blast and I'm thinking I'll probably try and platinum this one. So, I'll need help golding the co-ops and then doing the advanced missions.

As far as single player... I'm probably right at the end of act 1. Hard to say exactly cause I've been avoiding spoilers but I have a feeling it's the end of the first area. Plus I do all the side missions and things, and chase down outfit unlocks... stretches things out a bit.

I'm still going to play MP while going through SP...

Can anyone offer some NAT advice? I'm stuck with NAT 3 even when I have the PS3 wired directly into the modem. Meaning I can't play RDR with most of my friends list. Should I contact my isp?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
TheBrain76 said:
Can anyone offer some NAT advice? I'm stuck with NAT 3 even when I have the PS3 wired directly into the modem. Meaning I can't play RDR with most of my friends list. Should I contact my isp?
most likely your modem has a built in firewall . contact your isp and ask for the ip address for the web configuration screen.then set your console's ip in the modems dmz and your done

I need some help. I wanna play multiplayer with my brother but every time I send him an invite or he sends me one and I accept it it comes up with an error : (

We’ve only managed to play together once....it’s getting really annoying! And we live in the same house! Anyone wanna explain this ‘NAT’ thing to me in English?

Evolved1

red shoe paul said:
You guys good? I wouldn't mind playing a game or 2 with you..

I don't know if we're good. We're cool though.

Hootie

TheStringTheory said:
The
Level 10 Sharpshooter challenge
is so frustrating, it's ridiculous.

Go to Thieves Landing
Empty Mauser pistol until you only have 15 bullets left and reload
Save
Go to saloon
Take cover behind counter
Disarm!

Worked for me at least.

Dead Man

Hootie said:
Go to Thieves Landing
Empty Mauser pistol until you only have 15 bullets left and reload
Save
Go to saloon
Take cover behind counter
Disarm!

Worked for me at least.
Good spot. I did it in Pikes Basin. Same technique though.

TelemachusD said:
I haven't finished the game yet (up to Reyes in Mexico), but so far I'm finding it boring, and pretty tedious. It looks great and sounds good too, but it keeps with GTA4's style of "follow the path or fail" mission design, giving the player very little choice in taking on any particular thing. Dead or alive bounties are cool, but the story missions are so scripted there's not much room for player creativity.

The AI is whack-a-mole brain dead, the shooting (on normal) requires no skill (I've never felt the need to ever use dead eye), and nearly every mission is a combination of riding something, shooting guys, and shooting guys while riding something, all of which I'm getting tired of.

The story is so completely ridiculous: "I need to catch this bad guy, so I'm going to murder hundreds of dudes for you so you'll help me in some small way, but I'm really a good guy." The setting feels like it's trying to be realistic, but the sheer numbers of enemies you mow down would fill every settlement on the map several times over. There's no sense of continuity from one mission to the next. For example, there's a massacre at a farm, and the very next day I'm there trying to help some moron sell snake oil to a crowd of people, and the farm appears to be just fine. Every character I've met so far is annoying, and they all like to babble on incessantly in cut scenes and on interminable horse rides on the way to shoot guys. What's worse, my character feels like a gullible idiot who'll agree to do anything anyone asks him without bothering to think of his own solution.

Sorry I'm so down on a game a lot of people in this thread really enjoy, but that's how I feel.

I'm exactly where you're at in the game and couldn't agree more. The cut-scenes are the absolute fucking worst. It's the same problem that Vice City Stories and GTA4 had with their story and main characters. I simply find it impossible to buy into this garbage story.

Yeef

Dead Man said:
Good spot. I did it in Pikes Basin. Same technique though.
You guys made it more complicated than you needed to. The reload at the beginning of dead eye doesn't count as reloading, but just to be sure I used the Evans Repeater since it's got 22 shots. Just head to any gang hideout. Dead Eye to disarm, they'll pull out a second gun and you can disarm them again. It takes a minute or two to get them all.

I actually ended up having to do it about 6 or 7 times in a row because it didn't auto-save afterward and I kept getting myself killed after having completed it.

Dead Man

Yeef said:
You guys made it more complicated than you needed to. The reload at the beginning of dead eye doesn't count as reloading, but just to be sure I used the Evans Repeater since it's got 22 shots. Just head to any gang hideout. Dead Eye to disarm, they'll pull out a second gun and you can disarm them again. It takes a minute or two to get them all.

I actually ended up having to do it about 6 or 7 times in a row because it didn't auto-save afterward and I kept getting myself killed after having completed it.
I tried that technique, but I found it much quicker to just dump the rounds from a gun and do it that way.

Hypno Funk

Just recently got 100% on this, managed to do it in 23hr 57mins 47s, so just under the 24 hour mark. That said this was my second attempt at the story so I just skipped all the cutscenes and did the extra side-missions.

Worst part of the game for me is waiting for things out of your control to happen, (i.e. Master Hunter Challenge 5, killing 2 cougars with your knife)

todahawk

recklessmind said:
I don't know if we're good. We're cool though.
...and drunk (maybe that's why I died so much... only 1 beer though). :lol

who's our third? I should be on tonight for a bit... back to work after a long holiday weekend :(

bloodydrake said:
most likely your modem has a built in firewall . contact your isp and ask for the ip address for the web configuration screen.then set your console's ip in the modems dmz and your done

Thanks! I'll try that.

Tricky I Shadow said:
I need some help. I wanna play multiplayer with my brother but every time I send him an invite or he sends me one and I accept it it comes up with an error : (

We’ve only managed to play together once....it’s getting really annoying! And we live in the same house! Anyone wanna explain this ‘NAT’ thing to me in English?

Basically need NAT 1 or NAT 2. NAT 1 is usually if you have a wired connection (my issues not withstanding) and NAT 2 is what you want with a wireless connection. It gets tricky depending on what router you have, but it's not impossible. If you have a PS3 there are a ton of really helpful threads on the playstation forums.

Evolved1

greenjerk said:
...and drunk (maybe that's why I died so much... only 1 beer though). :lol

who's our third? I should be on tonight for a bit... back to work after a long holiday weekend :(

Maybe we can recruit a random or something... I'll be on for a bit tonight, but I have a big job tomorrow, so not too long/late.

PS3 gaffers looking to posse up: my tag is Evolved1, send FR and put GAF & RDR in message.

todahawk

recklessmind said:
Maybe we can recruit a random or something... I'll be on for a bit tonight, but I have a big job tomorrow, so not too long/late.

PS3 gaffers looking to posse up: my tag is Evolved1, send FR and put GAF & RDR in message.

Same here, i can't stay up too late tonight either...

Animal

Banned
I admit the missions in mexico were pretty boring and I almost stopped playing the game.

I am glad i didn't quit because the ending was very much worth it!

Helmholtz

Just finished the game, managed to do so spoiler free. Fucking amazing ending, probably one of the best I've ever seen in a game. I think the last portion of the game puts this above ME2 for goty for me. The shooting in the game didn't do much for me, but everything else from the atmosphere to the story really drew me in.

Nelo Ice

Banned
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...content_plans_for_red_dead_redemption.article

edit:late again :lol

Legends and Killers Pack (Releasing beginning of August 2010)
New active map locations, characters and more:

* 9 New Multiplayer map locations — more than doubling the amount of territories in the Multiplayer Competitive modes
* 8 New Multiplayer characters— play as characters from Red Dead Revolver
* Introducing a new projectile weapon: the Tomahawk, with corresponding Challenges for single player and multiplayer
* New Achievements/Trophies
* Pricing: $9.99 (PlayStation Network), 800 Microsoft Points (Xbox LIVE)

Liars and Cheats Pack
New Competitive Modes, Multiplayer Mini-games in Free Roam, and more:

* ‘Attack and Defend’ Multiplayer Competitive Mode and Challenges
* New Multiplayer Horse Races complete with mounted combat
* Play as the heroes and villains of Red Dead Redemption as well as 8 additional multiplayer characters
* Multiplayer versions of Liars Dice and Poker from the single-player game
* Introducing a new weapon: the Explosive Rifle, with associated Challenges available in single-player and multiplayer

* New Achievements/Trophies
* Release date TBC

Free Roam Pack
Delve deeper into the world of Red Dead Redemption with new Modes, Challenges and Gang Hideouts to discover:

* Additional Free Roam Challenges
* New action areas and defensive placements
* Posse Scoring / Posse Leaderboards
* New ‘anti-griefing’ measures in Free Roam
* Release date and pricing TBC

Undead Nightmare Pack
Ghost towns and cemeteries come alive in a West gone horribly wrong:

* Brand new single player adventure, Challenges and quests
* 8 New Multiplayer Zombie characters
* Additional animals unleashed in the world
* New Dynamic events

* More details to follow...
* Release date TBC

Walshicus

I'm excited and I'm going to buy these... but you just know their integration into the game will be shit.

I really am baffled by how much Rockstar sucks at game menus and integrating DLC. Does anyone really prefer fumbling around in-game to set up something that could be done in half the time with a decent title menu?

todahawk

Sir Fragula said:
I'm excited and I'm going to buy these... but you just know their integration into the game will be shit.

I really am baffled by how much Rockstar sucks at game menus and integrating DLC. Does anyone really prefer fumbling around in-game to set up something that could be done in half the time with a decent title menu?

Yeah, I'm very interested but justing into the MP now (only level 10). I've been playing with Reckless and man it's a struggle to do some basic shit and navigate.

I'll wait on see on the first two but the zombie pack sounds awesome, I was thinking about that as I went by a cemetery near one of the towns while playing the other night.

I puzzled by the "anti-griefing measures" as part of the free roam dlc. Pricing and release date TBC? Why would anti-griefing fixes be part of paid DLC???

MNC

That seems so good...... Too bad I hardly buy DLC. Plus integration will be CRAP.

Oh come on. Things like 'anti grief measures' for free roam should be free. Just general upgrading of the experience should be free. Additional modes/maps/characters, pay. Don't fuck up and split the community Rockstar.

Dead

well not really...yet
Finally some single player dlc...will probably finally dive in to Multi when that 2nd pack is released

Binabik15

Hi Gaf, I´ve got a question:

Is the MP in this game good enough to make up for the whole "shooting with R2" and worse graphics on PS3? Those two things make me lean towards buying it on the 360, but I don´t have live, so good MP could be the deciding factor.

MNC

Binabik15 said:
Hi Gaf, I´ve got a question:

Is the MP in this game good enough to make up for the whole "shooting with R2" and worse graphics on PS3? Those two things make me lean towards buying it on the 360, but I don´t have live, so good MP could be the deciding factor.
Uh. Shooting with R2 is fine and the graphics are fine as well. If you really can't stand less foliage in some spots and a less bright image, buy 360 version.

I like the multiplayer, but random freeroam isn't that much fun. You should play it with friends, and it'll be alot more fun.

Top Bottom