• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Cornbread78

Ok, so I was playing online wit one of my buddies the other night and replayign the same mission quite a few times to essential grind the XP and gain levels. Well some Douchbag on top of a cliff in the back kept killign me with a sniper rifle. Is there any redemption I can get for killing these types of idiots? What's the best way to get them back?

I've had this game for about 3 weeks now and I just can't bring myself to play it anymore (I've just opened Mexico). I'm finding it too boring. The story isn't gripping enough, I couldn't give a shit about the characters and the scenery gets a bit old after a while.

I've not even tried MP yet, but I doubt it will boost any interest.

Raiden

Banned
Bought the game 2 days ago, and gotta say, first minutes in .. i knew this was more my kind of game then GTA.

Love the setting, the characters, the music and John in general. It feels fresh to play with this kind of character.

Gravijah

Been playing Just Cause 2 lately. Makes me appreciate how beautiful RDRs world is, in JC2 I don't even care about half of the places. That, and I realized that yes, it is possible to make an open world game TOO BIG.

Gribbix

Here are some screenshots from the Legends and Killers DLC.
rdr_legkill_screen0014zde.jpg

rdr_legkill_screen002tzd7.jpg

rdr_legkill_screen003lbce.jpg

rdr_legkill_screen0046a7o.jpg

Montresor

Man I can't wait for the new DLC... I know the pricing is a little ludicrous but I need more Red Dead Redemption game play. I wish they were releasing them all at the same time instead of in waves.

Anyway, I need to play a new game on the 360 but I can't decide which. Can any of you guys help me out? My brother has the following games lying around:

Bayonetta
Star Wars Force Unleashed
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands
Splinter Cell Conviction

Which of those four are the best, most fun, to go after? OR, should I just go out and buy Alan Wake? *shrugs*

slewis7

Raiden said:
Bought the game 2 days ago, and gotta say, first minutes in .. i knew this was more my kind of game then GTA.

Love the setting, the characters, the music and John in general. It feels fresh to play with this kind of character.

Exactly my feelings. Also, I like being able to play as a good guy rather then a scumbag (Nico).

nourali2 said:
Man I can't wait for the new DLC... I know the pricing is a little ludicrous but I need more Red Dead Redemption game play. I wish they were releasing them all at the same time instead of in waves.

Anyway, I need to play a new game on the 360 but I can't decide which. Can any of you guys help me out? My brother has the following games lying around:

Bayonetta
Splinter Cell Conviction

Which of those four are the best, most fun, to go after? OR, should I just go out and buy Alan Wake? *shrugs*

Hmm...don't buy Alan Wake unless you can get a good deal.

I would play Bayonetta all the way through, and try out Force Unleashed. Prince of Persia is pretty mediocre and Splinter Cell wasn't too hot either. Definitely give Bayonetta a go.

nourali2 said:

Bayonetta
Splinter Cell Conviction

Bayonetta, think I have played the game for 50 hours in two weeks now. While also finishing Mass Effect 2.

nourali2 said:
Bayonetta
Splinter Cell Conviction

Lemme just put it like this: Bayonetta is the only game I have ahead of Red Dead Redemption this year, and is by far my favorite game of this generation. If you enjoy DMC style action games, this is the God (or Goddess?) among them.

On RDR DLC: Those characters look really cool, but that pack is NOT worth the money, ESPECIALLY when the 8 "New Multiplayer Locations" are probably already in the game. No way that pack should be one cent over $5, and even THAT'S pushing it when looking at the same type of content for a better price in a BETTER PvP game, Uncharted 2.. I thought Rockstar was the one developer that did DLC well but they should be ashamed of themselves.

Montresor

Plat?

And now I know what I'll play alongside my Mass Effect 1200 run: Bayonetta. :D

I just realized, I put probably 55 hours into multiplayer with probably less than half an hour in the deathmatch modes. I absolutely love the free roam - even advanced co-op was fun. I would ride the horse from gang hideout to gang hideout instead of using fast travel just because I wanted to complete a free roam journal challenge (travel 300 miles on a horse). I'd scour Mexico for rabbits and prickly pears, hole up in El Presidio and shoot up Federales just to complete public enemy journal challenges, etc...

I like how whenever you finish the Gaptooth Breach hideout, there's a stagecoach waiting. If you have an eight-person posse it just feels too cool driving everyone around.

Adamm

Finally finished this game today, after it was taken away in my broken PS3 for over a month :(

I was
slightly disappointed
with the ending

I just seemed like such an anti-climax - you just shoot Ross and walk away, after some of the other epic missions building up to this, this one seemed a bit dull and un-epic...

I wish it had of ending just after John Marston was killed - he would fall to his death just after gaining his redemption after sacrificing himself to save his son & wife, to continue it on after this seemed unnecessary.

Another nice place for it to end would have been just after you kill dutch and ride off to see your family with the music playing as you ride, although this may have been too happy of an ending for this game :lol

But apart from that i loved this game, definatly
one of
the best game
s
this gen

Finished the game and loved it. There were some issues involving pacing, the dialogue while you were riding with people got a little formulaic, and some strange plot holes at the end
Why did John walk out the front door of the barn if he knew the entire army was there? He could have just exited through the back door and fought them from a better position, I mean, I just slaughtered a larger army from my front porch seconds ago.
but the game was still amazing. It's hard to imagine another game topping it for my GOTY.

I do have a question though.
I thought it was strange I couldn't capture Bill alive. They let me capture the other guy, but when I tried to lasso Bill the revolutionary guy shot them both up before I got a chance to react. I felt, almost, cheated out my victory there. Did it just glitch out for me, or was that supposed to happen?

Oh, and I would have loved it if Dutch was in the game a little more. His performance was so good, it's a shame you only get to see him a couple of times.

Edit: I altered my "question" to actually make it a question.

Adamm

Tkawsome said:
I do have a question though.
I thought it was strange I couldn't capture Bill alive. They let me capture the other guy, but when I tried to lasso Bill the revolutionary guy shot them both up before I got a chance to react. I felt, almost, cheated out my victory there.

I tried to do the exact same thing, i assume they just wanted you to
kill him

Hung Wei Lo

I caught Blazing Saddles on TV last night, figured I'd give it a go since the last time I saw it, I was a weee little lad...
Mongol riding into town on the bull - so that's where the bull mount is from:lol

are there any other references that i was too slow to pick up on? :p

Ataturk

Tkawsome said:
Why did John walk out the front door of the barn if he knew the entire army was there?

The way I saw it was that he'd accepted that he'd never be allowed by the government to live in peace . It was better for his family if he died.

dork

Banned
Question about the CoOp DLC.

Was gonna buy it and play with my brother. Is it seperate from the single player?? Like Do i just load up online and we can start coop without messing up my sp save?

Radogol

dork said:
Question about the CoOp DLC.

Was gonna buy it and play with my brother. Is it seperate from the single player?? Like Do i just load up online and we can start coop without messing up my sp save?

It's free, dummy.

And yes, it's totally separate.

Huggy

Anyone else bummed that with expert aiming on the camera is still auto targeting/leading enemies? They should patch it out.
Really, the best auto aiming I've ever seen is in Just Cause 2, which really looks like a better version of a concept I once came up with. Complete control over the camera, auto targeting and pinpoint shots all available.

Ataturk said:
The way I saw it was that he'd accepted that he'd never be allowed by the government to live in peace . It was better for his family if he died.

That makes sense. Still, it seems a bit out of character for him to accept his fate there and not escape to take the fight to the army instead. I would have loved an ending similar to The Wild Bunch, where you're entering the enemies base knowing full well you won't get out alive. You're just there to take out as many people as you can, and maybe kill Edgar Ross in the process. Aw man, if you managed to get Rickets to team up with you it would have been epic.

BTW, what happened to Ross's partner? Did I somehow miss him getting killed? I thought he survived the attack on the army truck, but I don't remember seeing him after that.

ngower

ughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughugh

I got the game today and I thought I was saving (Game, then something else in the menu) but I was loading a previous save point. How do I save mid-game?

ngower said:
ughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughugh

I got the game today and I thought I was saving (Game, then something else in the menu) but I was loading a previous save point. How do I save mid-game?

you can ether open up your camp or buy a house but honestly the autosave did most of the work for me

Radogol

While dreams are usually brain garbage, I just had one that was actually inspiring. I was reading a new Game Informer and there was a preview of a new Red Dead game inside. It presented a direction which I would call retarded under normal circumstances but since I’m still not completely awake, I find it awesome.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

Red Dead Retribution

The plot starts just after ‘The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed’ mission. The twist is:
You play as John Marston.

As I said, I’d scoff at this idea if the preview didn’t convince me how fresh and exciting it could be.

The high concept is that because of the life he had led, John became sort of an agent for the higher power. A bounty hunter for God if you will. Or... The Devil himself. Think ‘I Know You’ missions.

And that’s the aspect of the Wild West mythos that would be cranked up in Retribution. Marston would be the mysterious stranger influencing people’s lives, bringing foul men to justice and then riding off into the moonset. It could be like ‘Touched by an Angel’ if Monica carried a revolver.

During the day, Marston would appear as a normal gunslinger. While he’d look familiar to some, no one would be able to place his face.

But at night... At night he’d become a skull cowboy, a terrifying creature of the night, while his steed would appear translucent, with bones showing.

And as the player would roam the moonlit plains, he would see the terrible past of the land come alive before his eyes, sort of like in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. A group of Indians being executed. A stagecoach attacked and destroyed. A young angry man by the name of John Marston robbing and killing defenseless travelers…

Dutch and Abigail could still somehow factor into the plot, perhaps representing two sides of the same scale – damnation and salvation respectively.

And John’s final test? A retired government agent by the name of Ross got murdered while on a hunting trip. He was a good man and needs avenging.

Obviously, the preview I’ve read in my dream was less detailed and had some stupid shit in it. For example, there was a plane on one screenshot :lol

Dead Man

Radogol said:
While dreams are usually brain garbage, I just had one that was actually inspiring. I was reading a new Game Informer and there was a preview of a new Red Dead game inside. It presented a direction which I would call retarded under normal circumstances but since I’m still not completely awake, I find it awesome.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you:

Red Dead Retribution

The plot starts just after ‘The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed’ mission. The twist is:
You play as John Marston.

As I said, I’d scoff at this idea if the preview didn’t convince me how fresh and exciting it could be.

The high concept is that because of the life he had led, John became sort of an agent for the higher power. A bounty hunter for God if you will. Or... The Devil himself. Think ‘I Know You’ missions.

And that’s the aspect of the Wild West mythos that would be cranked up in Retribution. Marston would be the mysterious stranger influencing people’s lives, bringing foul men to justice and then riding off into the moonset. It could be like ‘Touched by an Angel’ if Monica carried a revolver.

During the day, Marston would appear as a normal gunslinger. While he’d look familiar to some, no one would be able to place his face.

But at night... At night he’d become a skull cowboy, a terrifying creature of the night, while his steed would appear translucent, with bones showing.

And as the player would roam the moonlit plains, he would see the terrible past of the land come alive before his eyes, sort of like in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. A group of Indians being executed. A stagecoach attacked and destroyed. A young angry man by the name of John Marston robbing and killing defenseless travelers…

Dutch and Abigail could still somehow factor into the plot, perhaps representing two sides of the same scale – damnation and salvation respectively.

And John’s final test? A retired government agent by the name of Ross got murdered while on a hunting trip. He was a good man and needs avenging.

Obviously, the preview I’ve read in my dream was less detailed and had some stupid shit in it. For example, there was a plane on one screenshot :lol
Pale Ghost Rider, is that you?

Variable

Okay, I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread already, but I just beat the game and my mind is blown. The ending was unlike any other game I have played before. Are there any other games that have this kind of ending?

Dead Man

Variable said:
Okay, I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread already, but I just beat the game and my mind is blown. The ending was unlike any other game I have played before. Are there any other games that have this kind of ending?
The only other game I've played with an ending where (Spoilers for an old PS1 game AND RDR ahead!)
the protaganist is killed is the first Tenchu, but that had nowhere near the impact, and there was no gameplay after that. Also, it was only the male ninja, not the female ninja who died.

It's hard to know how much to spoiler tag there. Do I say the name of the game, so people don't get spoiled? Or will that spoil the ending of RDR?

W1SSY

I really need to get back to playing this. I got to Mexico and then slowly stopped playing the game because I was not a big fan of the missions with driving the wagon. I have probably spent more time wasting it on hunting and other side quests.

Radogol

W1SSY said:
I really need to get back to playing this. I got to Mexico and then slowly stopped playing the game because I was not a big fan of the missions with driving the wagon. I have probably spent more time wasting it on hunting and other side quests.

I know THIS IS NOT WHAT CORE GAMERS DO, DAMMIT! but you can just skip the wagon missions if they annoy you that much.

Klocker

Dead Man said:
The only other game I've played with an ending where (Spoilers for an old PS1 game ahead!) and RDR
the protaganist is killed is the first Tenchu, but that had nowhere near the impact, and there was no gameplay after that. Also, it was only the male ninja, not the female ninja who died.

It's hard to know how much to spoiler tag there. Do I say the name of the game, so people don't get spoiled? Or will that spoil the ending of RDR?

yea, your PS1 spoiler tag does spoil RDR as well IMO so do not read people! and the name would spoil RDR for those who have played it

Garret

ThirstyFly said:
Just press the PS button on the controller. move over to the music section on the XMB and pick a song or playlist. Doesn't work while playing online though.

Thanks! That was quite useful. I don't think I'd have ever thought about doing that :lol. It sounds quite loud, though, I guess I'll have to work my way around that.

ThirstyFly said:
Just press the PS button on the controller. move over to the music section on the XMB and pick a song or playlist. Doesn't work while playing online though.

That's a bummer. I was hoping it would work for the online since that's when I'd rather listen to whatever I wanted while shooting people other than the game's own soundtrack.

Playing the music I enjoy during the SP would simply just destroy the immersion in the game, but on MP not so much as I'd mostly run and gun people :lol

Oh well :D

LowParry

Okay so I gave into the hype but haven't played RDR yet. Just what am I getting myself into? Sidenote: I don't like GTA. Am I in trouble?

Raiden

Banned
CcrooK said:
Okay so I gave into the hype but haven't played RDR yet. Just what am I getting myself into? Sidenote: I don't like GTA. Am I in trouble?

Not really, in my opinion, if you like The Good the Bad and the Ugly, or the other 2, you will love this:lol

I kinda like the GTA's though, but this is more for me, the action feels so right and every bullet counts. And it is TONS OF FUN.

Like my latest game-session, i had to capture this "thug" alive, he ran off with his horse, i go chasing him, he is too far to use my lasso, i shoot the horse in the leg, horse drops with the guy, he goes running on foot, i shoot him in the legs>falls and stumbles further>> he pulls his gun, i shot his weapon out of his hand... and he finally put his hands up:lol

F'n awesome!

Raiden

Banned
Double post!

Wow, so i just finished this game ... holy f'n shit at the ending and the game in particular. This is for sure my GOTY.

Spoilers>
Very brutal ending, my respect to Rockstar for taking on this ending and story
I love stuff like this, not pussied out to get "dem" happy endings. Very awesome that you then play with his son and can take on this revenge mission.
The game knows how most people would think.

You're at the graves of your parents with Jack, first thing you want and do is revenge! I dont see any mission markers, too bad, i go to blackwater, talk to this stranger .. and well you know the rest!

Now i'm gonna do the rest of the game and achievements, though i dont want to play as Jack tbh, maybe there is a way to change this?

witness

Fucking shit this game is frustrating. So I'm early in the game where I'm herding horses and its the most confusing and frustrating fucking experience in a game this year. I just turned the damn thing off in anger.

Gravijah

witness said:
Fucking shit this game is frustrating. So I'm early in the game where I'm herding horses and its the most confusing and frustrating fucking experience in a game this year. I just turned the damn thing off in anger.

Slow down.

Raiden

Banned
witness said:

I can see people getting frustrated at this, but honestly did not happen to me, as the herding pretty much happens automatically, just walk behind them and let them do the work?

Top Bottom