• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Hootie

witness said:
Fucking shit this game is frustrating. So I'm early in the game where I'm herding horses and its the most confusing and frustrating fucking experience in a game this year. I just turned the damn thing off in anger.

sSv44.jpg

AniHawk

So where to begin discussing this game. I guess with the fact that this is the type of game I don't really care for anymore (heavily story-driven, aspiring-to-be-hollywood movie games). I didn't expect to be sucked in by it all. Visually, it's a beautiful game, with a shitload of detail on everything. It's almost baffling how good everything looks, and how well everything animates. I was seriously impressed that we didn't go too far into uncanny valley, thanks to the great facial animation and lip syncing.

Voice acting was great. Music was awesome. I know I'm late to the party, but holy shit when Far Away started playing.

Story was all right, but I think it started to lose its focus a lot in the buildup to the charge on
Fort Mercer. I thought the Hanging of Bonnie Macfarlane (where I totally went Wyatt Earp from Tombstone on) kinda brought everything back to point at Bill. I would have loved to have seen more of Dutch, since he felt like a much more interesting bad guy. Also, it was amusing to see how many GTAisms made their way in, especially once you get to Mexico. Ending was bittersweet, and the buildup to it, from a story standpoint, was pretty well done. I like that the ending makes sense, that Jack would have the skills he does because his father taught them to him.

I loooooved shooting things and riding on horseback. All that stuff worked really well, and it always felt so good to knock someone off their horse without using Dead Eye. I could have done without herding livestock. Good god. And that stuff at the end was just rehashed gameplay for the sake of story (and that's bad).

And all that would have made an outstanding game, but there's minigames to try, movies to watch, strangers to help, challenges to complete, and jobs to take.

I think the old west theme was a pretty good choice for a sandbox game. I can't imagine there are many people left who remember it as it was, so it left a lot up for the guys at Rockstar to make up. The end result is a video game world that doesn't feel like one, instead of just a simulated version of a city. I think being able to go inside buildings (something I've wanted from GTA for a while), helps too.

This is my favorite "Hollywood" game. It hits all right right notes and gives you some little "only in a video game" moments as well (Far Away and other songs).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
My favorite free activity is getting a big bounty, get chased by Marshalls and blast them to kingdom come from pointblank range with the Buffalorifle. Just watching them getting blown 9 feet or so back is awesome!

That, and I found a new way to attract bears. Lassoed a citizen who was wandering around in Tall Trees, dragged him behind me while riding slowly. Looked back and noticed 4 bears chasing me :lol

Dead Man

AniHawk said:
So where to begin discussing this game. I guess with the fact that this is the type of game I don't really care for anymore (heavily story-driven, aspiring-to-be-hollywood movie games). I didn't expect to be sucked in by it all. Visually, it's a beautiful game, with a shitload of detail on everything. It's almost baffling how good everything looks, and how well everything animates. I was seriously impressed that we didn't go too far into uncanny valley, thanks to the great facial animation and lip syncing.

Voice acting was great. Music was awesome. I know I'm late to the party, but holy shit when Far Away started playing.

Story was all right, but I think it started to lose its focus a lot in the buildup to the charge on
Fort Mercer. I thought the Hanging of Bonnie Macfarlane (where I totally went Wyatt Earp from Tombstone on) kinda brought everything back to point at Bill. I would have loved to have seen more of Dutch, since he felt like a much more interesting bad guy. Also, it was amusing to see how many GTAisms made their way in, especially once you get to Mexico. Ending was bittersweet, and the buildup to it, from a story standpoint, was pretty well done. I like that the ending makes sense, that Jack would have the skills he does because his father taught them to him.

I loooooved shooting things and riding on horseback. All that stuff worked really well, and it always felt so good to knock someone off their horse without using Dead Eye. I could have done without herding livestock. Good god. And that stuff at the end was just rehashed gameplay for the sake of story (and that's bad).

And all that would have made an outstanding game, but there's minigames to try, movies to watch, strangers to help, challenges to complete, and jobs to take.

I think the old west theme was a pretty good choice for a sandbox game. I can't imagine there are many people left who remember it as it was, so it left a lot up for the guys at Rockstar to make up. The end result is a video game world that doesn't feel like one, instead of just a simulated version of a city. I think being able to go inside buildings (something I've wanted from GTA for a while), helps too.

This is my favorite "Hollywood" game. It hits all right right notes and gives you some little "only in a video game" moments as well (Far Away and other songs).
Yeah, certainly my favourite R* game this gen, and my favourite big budget, AAA type deal as well. I have posted before about all the gripes I have with it, but even with those, it does so much else right and gets it so right, that it is simply an awesome experience.

neorej said:
My favorite free activity is getting a big bounty, get chased by Marshalls and blast them to kingdom come from pointblank range with the Buffalorifle. Just watching them getting blown 9 feet or so back is awesome!

That, and I found a new way to attract bears. Lassoed a citizen who was wandering around in Tall Trees, dragged him behind me while riding slowly. Looked back and noticed 4 bears chasing me
:lol
LOL, have to try that

junker

neorej said:
That, and I found a new way to attract bears. Lassoed a citizen who was wandering around in Tall Trees, dragged him behind me while riding slowly. Looked back and noticed 4 bears chasing me :lol

:lol This reminds me of a time in Tall Trees when a roadside stranger asks me to save his wife is is being hanged. I follow him and shoot the rope and when she falls, out of nowhere a bear appears and mauls her. Don't know if it was scripted but it was hilarious.

yophlow

Banned
I never found attracting bears hard at all. Walk 5 metres into Tall Trees, KABLAMMO bear in my face. Three seconds later, three more bears charging at me.

Dead :)

Marvie_3

Banned
neorej said:
:lol :lol :lol

Hootie

Yeah what I like to do is ride around on my horse dragging people behind me and letting them get eaten by wolves and shit. :lol

It's too bad you cant run off cliffs with them dragging behind you.

dark_chris

HalfbrickPhil said:
I never found attracting bears hard at all. Walk 5 metres into Tall Trees, KABLAMMO bear in my face. Three seconds later, three more bears charging at me.

Dead :)

Same here. I never had problems with the bears. Easy to get and find. =D

witness said:
Fucking shit this game is frustrating. So I'm early in the game where I'm herding horses and its the most confusing and frustrating fucking experience in a game this year. I just turned the damn thing off in anger.

Yea I felt the same exact way. Just started the game tonight. The herding the horses and cattle bullshit sucks terribly, but at least there are a bunch of fun missions to do along the way. I just pray to god im done with cattle herding

Question: How do I find strangers? I randomly came across one in town for the mission American Appetites, but don't want to miss any in the future if I can help it.

Sblargh

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Yea I felt the same exact way. Just started the game tonight. The herding the horses and cattle bullshit sucks terribly, but at least there are a bunch of fun missions to do along the way. I just pray to god im done with cattle herding

Question: How do I find strangers? I randomly came across one in town for the mission American Appetites, but don't want to miss any in the future if I can help it.

Just roam, they eventually appear. And no need to worry, because there is no stranger in some placed that is hard to find, just play the game and you will eventually come across them.

(unless you are somehow not travelling between towns, using some method of skipping the travel)

GQman2121

Banned
Strange, I never felt like the herding or catching horses was all that difficult. I just took it slow and it all seemed to play out as it should. Maybe you're rushing it?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I still love playing this even though I have almost nothing left to do. Now that the main story is done and I have the full rep achievement, I'm playing as a total bastard. One of my favorite things to do is to ride on top of the train and fire my buffalo rifle at people as it's moving. Also, hogtying people then setting them at the edge of a cliff and cutting off the rope so they stand up and fall to their demise.
Good stuff.

After buying this game on launch, I've finally cleared enough away from my backlog to crack it open. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the color/saturation levels right for this game. Worse, it seems I'm crushing the fuck out of my blacks. And I've never seen a game vary this much as I jump between presets either, it's friggin wild.

Also I freaked the fuck out the first time I skinned a horse. Ick.

wouwie

I haven't been following this thread for a long time. What has been the general opinion on the visual side of things? For me, it's up there with the most beautiful games ever made. I'm at the 3rd world now and the snow area is just incredible. I'd go as far as to say that this game impressed me probably even more than Uncharted 2. The whole day/night thing is beautiful. The skies are breathtaking at times. The weather effects are amazing and the textures are very impressive. The world feels alive. The animals are great, the atmopshere is superb.

I'm playing the ps3 version. I would have loved to see and play the (apparently better) xbox version. From a technical point of view, i hope that with future consoles, they are going to be able to reduce the popin. That's the only thing that is a bit annoying.

leng jai

wouwie said:
I haven't been following this thread for a long time. What has been the general opinion on the visual side of things? For me, it's up there with the most beautiful games ever made. I'm at the 3rd world now and the snow area is just incredible. I'd go as far as to say that this game impressed me probably even more than Uncharted 2. The whole day/night thing is beautiful. The skies are breathtaking at times. The weather effects are amazing and the textures are very impressive. The world feels alive. The animals are great, the atmopshere is superb.

I'm playing the ps3 version. I would have loved to see and play the (apparently better) xbox version. From a technical point of view, i hope that with future consoles, they are going to be able to reduce the popin. That's the only thing that is a bit annoying.

Graphics are absolutely incredible and up there with the most impressive visuals I've seen this gen. I've played both and the 360 version is significantly sharper which helps a lot, but the PS3 version is still impressive.

witness

Wooooooooooooooooooooow I just finished this and I am speechless. My favorite ending in years (even over Assassins Creed 2's which I thought was incredible).

Booser

I hate sandbox games, dont own a single GTA but this is one of my favourite games of all time. Its absolutely nails everything. And that ending. Oh man.

Hey You

Man I stay outta tall trees as much as I can. I am still freaked out and looking over my shoulder for those damn bears and cougars.:lol

Dead Man

Hey You said:
Man I stay outta tall trees as much as I can. I am still freaked out and looking over my shoulder for those damn bears and cougars.:lol
They mostly come out at night. Mostly. But they hunt in packs! What the hell! Packs of bears, chasing you across country? Why?!

Hootie

Hey You said:

This. The atmosphere mixed with the freaky music messes with my head whenever I'm up there.

eso76

I had awesome fun yesterday tying a nun up in my lasso and dropping her in the middle of the tracks, waiting for the train.

Too bad the train took too long and i was killed by a pack of wolves i didn't see coming and couldn't witness the spectacular outcome.

Will try again today.

Just started this today and after two hours I'm really enjoying the experience. It's been a rather relaxed one so far which I'm enjoying - I know later in the game I'll probably be killing bandits by the dozen, but now I'm having fun taking in the surroundings.

I'm finding the herding quite fiddly and it takes me a lot longer to do than it should. I think it's mostly to due with the fact that riding a horse is much harder than driving a car and once I get used to controlling them I'll be fine, but I've certainly been frustrated a few times as a result of this.

I have to say my favourite thing so far is shooting lots of animals. It probably makes me a horrible vegetarian, but there's something oh so satisfying about plucking a few birds out of the sky and skinning them. Shooting the rabbits made me sad though because they're so cute and now I have to kill 5 more for the sharpshooter challenge. :(

I'm not feeling the game of the year vibe I've been hearing about, but then I've barely scratched the surface and anticipate getting addicted like nobodys business.

todahawk

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just started this today and after two hours I'm really enjoying the experience. It's been a rather relaxed one so far which I'm enjoying - I know later in the game I'll probably be killing bandits by the dozen, but now I'm having fun taking in the surroundings.

I'm finding the herding quite fiddly and it takes me a lot longer to do than it should. I think it's mostly to due with the fact that riding a horse is much harder than driving a car and once I get used to controlling them I'll be fine, but I've certainly been frustrated a few times as a result of this.

I have to say my favourite thing so far is shooting lots of animals. It probably makes me a horrible vegetarian, but there's something oh so satisfying about plucking a few birds out of the sky and skinning them. Shooting the rabbits made me sad though because they're so cute and now I have to kill 5 more for the sharpshooter challenge. :(

I'm not feeling the game of the year vibe I've been hearing about, but then I've barely scratched the surface and anticipate getting addicted like nobodys business.

You'll get the vibe, it takes a bit... for me it was when I cleared out this little house as part of a mission. I collected a few pistols and then I noticed the sun was setting. I turned, standing on the little porch and watched as the sun went down. It was gorgeous. I just sat there for a while watching.

Hell, I just love calling my horse. I could do it all day... seriously. And I've gotten horribly attached to my Kentucky Saddler.

Wait to you get to the lasso. There's a bit of a curve to get the feel for it but I love lassoing shit, busting broncos.

The one thing that this game made me realize is how much I love westerns. I went out and bought the Clint Eastwood "man with no name" series, 3:10 to Yuma, Tombstone, The Magnificent Seven and my all time fav, Once Upon a Time in the West. I hadn't watched the majority of them in years but it all came rushing back to me. The Man with Harmonica music is unmistakable and unforgettable.

I've also dug back into my Louis L'Amour books.

Man, the game just feels so right and it's so relaxing when I want it to be. Sometimes I just ride around and take in the sights. But there's nothing like riding into a gang hideout with guns blazing... the more i play the more i love it.

greenjerk said:
You'll get the vibe, it takes a bit... for me it was when I cleared out this little house as part of a mission. I collected a few pistols and then I noticed the sun was setting. I turned, standing on the little porch and watched as the sun went down. It was gorgeous. I just sat there for a while watching.

Hell, I just love calling my horse. I could do it all day... seriously. And I've gotten horribly attached to my Kentucky Saddler.

Wait to you get to the lasso. There's a bit of a curve to get the feel for it but I love lassoing shit, busting broncos.

The one thing that this game made me realize is how much I love westerns. I went out and bought the Clint Eastwood "man with no name" series, 3:10 to Yuma, Tombstone, The Magnificent Seven and my all time fav, Once Upon a Time in the West. I hadn't watched the majority of them in years but it all came rushing back to me. The Man with Harmonica music is unmistakable and unforgettable.

I've also dug back into my Louis L'Amour books.

Man, the game just feels so right and it's so relaxing when I want it to be. Sometimes I just ride around and take in the sights. But there's nothing like riding into a gang hideout with guns blazing... the more i play the more i love it.
I'm now up to five and a half hours and as I predicted, I've totally been sucked in.

Needless to say the atmosphere is fantastic, the story is by far the best thing Rockstar has ever produced and hunting is tremendous fun. What I really love, though, is the feeling that I'm shaping the world in a legitimate way. In GTA4 (which I absolutely love, for the record) you had some cool comments from the pedestrians and a few random moments that felt real, but in this game it's happening all the time. A few examples, if I may:

I heard lots of screaming as I was riding my horse to a nearby town and looked over to see a man being chased by a pack of coyotes. I quickly pull out my rifle, shoot all of them before they can pounce and the man stops and starts thanking me. As I ride towards him, however, I can't stop my horse fast enough and hit him. As he pulls himself up he starts screaming again and runs off in the opposite direction.

Another time I managed to kill my horse by slipping off a cliff, whistling for him to come down, and then all I saw was a brown shape come flying down in front of me with a thud. Not my smartest moment.

Finally, a man stopped me to ask if I could get back his horse that had been stolen so I rode off in that direction and shot the thief, but before I could lasso and drag it back to him the horse sprinted across the train tracks just as a train was coming. That probably got the biggest laugh out of me for the whole month. :lol

I'm sure these things have happened to most of you, but it feels unique to me, and that's what's so cool about it. :D

Foliorum Viridum said:
Another time I managed to kill my horse by slipping off a cliff, whistling for him to come down, and then all I saw was a brown shape come flying down in front of me with a thud. Not my smartest moment.
Don't blame yourself there - that horse was destined to have a Darwin moment.

It cracks me up whenever that happens too. What a resounding thud it makes.

I said to my girlfriend as I fell that it would "probably warp to me" when I whistled ala Ocarina of Time.

It was a very needed lesson about the logic within the game. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can't stop playing this game. Just when I think I'm out, it pulls me back in.
It feels like forever since I finished the main story but I'm still playing it almost every night. I can lose myself for hours just traveling across the lands and working on the ambient challenges. I wasn't sure at first but this is definitely my game of the year so far.

There are so many fun ways to be a evil. Try hog tying someone then throwing bait on top of them or go to the docks at Thieves Landing and run into people so they fall into the water and die. Or try following the train and throwing Molotovs into the windows. So much fun.

Oh yeah, speaking of trains I finally had a cool glitch yesterday. I got on the train when it was stopped at Manzanita post and there was a fucking horse on the train in the open area between the passengers, just standing there. I got on it and tried walking out the door but it made us fall off the side.

Snuggler said:
I can't stop playing this game. Just when I think I'm out, it pulls me back in.
It feels like forever since I finished the main story but I'm still playing it almost every night. I can lose myself for hours just traveling across the lands and working on the ambient challenges. I wasn't sure at first but this is definitely my game of the year so far.

There are so many fun ways to be a evil. Try hog tying someone then throwing bait on top of them or go to the docks at Thieves Landing and run into people so they fall into the water and die. Or try following the train and throwing Molotovs into the windows. So much fun.

Oh yeah, speaking of trains I finally had a cool glitch yesterday. I got on the train when it was stopped at Manzanita post and there was a fucking horse on the train in the open area between the passengers, just standing there. I got on it and tried walking out the door but it made us fall off the side.
It's interesting you raise the ways you can be evil because I feel like moreso than any other Rockstar game they encourage you to be good. In five hours I haven't done a single bad deed. In that time in GTA4 I had slaughtered a whole police station. :lol

The fact John is such a genuinely nice chap at this point, even though he has a dodgy background, really helps this. I know they tried the same thing with Nico and it all fell apart, but I'm sensing that they're going to continue getting this character right.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Foliorum Viridum said:
It's interesting you raise the ways you can be evil because I feel like moreso than any other Rockstar game they encourage you to be good. In five hours I haven't done a single bad deed. In that time in GTA4 I had slaughtered a whole police station. :lol

I was the same way in my time with the story mode, I always helped people and I did my best to avoid killing civilians. I think I was only responsible for about 30 or so civilian deaths during that time which is actually horrific in real life standards but still very responsible for a GTA game.
After finishing the story I decided that I would have more fun as an asshole, you can do a lot of fucked up stuff, so now I'm just going all out and playing as the meanest, baddest dude in the West.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ok haha wow... I'm near the end of the game, but still seeing new and unexpected stuff now and then.

Today I'm working on an ambient challenge and it gets messed up by some women feigning despair about her broken wagon so her accomplices can jump me. They were easy to kill, as usual, but they interrupted my challenge and that really pissed me off. So there she is begging me for forgiveness or whatever and I decided I wasn't hearing any of that. Hmm... how to punish her in a way proportionate to my frustration level. I think about it for a bit,
and recall a very cliche scene you often see in a lot of western themed cartoons and things, though never through to its bloody conclusion. I decide that todday, if the game allows for it... there will be blood. I hogtie her, throw her on the horse, and check the map. It's going to be a ride.

I don't want to say any more, for fear of spoiling it... but holy shit, it worked. I couldn't believe it. I was laughing and then suddenly
a trophy award popped up. Omg I lost it.
:lol

A+ Rockstar.

Snuggler said:
I was the same way in my time with the story mode, I always helped people and I did my best to avoid killing civilians. I think I was only responsible for about 30 or so civilian deaths during that time which is actually horrific in real life standards but still very responsible for a GTA game.
After finishing the story I decided that I would have more fun as an asshole, you can do a lot of fucked up stuff, so now I'm just going all out and playing as the meanest, baddest dude in the West.
I'm sure I will become a monster, as I'm dying to get that achievement I've heard about
for tying a woman to the railway track
, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. It'll be a post-story thing for me, too. :)

DonMigs85

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm sure I will become a monster, as I'm dying to get that achievement I've heard about for tying a woman to the railway track, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. It'll be a post-story thing for me, too. :)
Just wear the bandana. Even w/o it, it's not a huge loss of honor.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm sure I will become a monster, as I'm dying to get that achievement I've heard about *snip*

Wow... glad I just happened to figure that out a few mins ago before you spoiled it. Wouldn't have been the same.

Is that considered spoiler stuff? Oops. I thought it was pretty common knowledge, I've seen it talked about in other threads and on lots of podcasts etc.

I've tagged it just to be safe. :)

Top Bottom