• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh yeah, question for those who have managed to get 100% completion.

Is it possible to make it impossible to get 100%?
My concern is that a couple of the outfits require actions such as capturing a Bollard Twins gang member alive and capturing a treasure hunter bounty alive but I think I might have killed them all already. I did all the bounties in Armadillo and I probably have like one left in Blackwater so I'm worried that I might not be able to get 100% now which is what I'm working towards right now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Foliorum Viridum said:
Is that considered spoiler stuff? Oops. I thought it was pretty common knowledge, I've seen it talked about in other threads and on lots of podcasts etc.

I've tagged it just to be safe. :)

I wasn't trying to be a dick if that's how it came across... and maybe it's common knowledge, but I didn't know about it. It's hidden on the trophy list, so it was a welcomed surprise for me.

No worries bro.

Just funny timing considering I'd just posted about it.

Snuggler said:
Oh yeah, question for those who have managed to get 100% completion.

Is it possible to make it impossible to get 100%?
My concern is that a couple of the outfits require actions such as capturing a Bollard Twins gang member alive and capturing a treasure hunter bounty alive but I think I might have killed them all already. I did all the bounties in Armadillo and I probably have like one left in Blackwater so I'm worried that I might not be able to get 100% now which is what I'm working towards right now.

The bounties can be attempted over and over until you get them alive, I believe.

Ha, I hadn't even highlighted your post as I wanted to avoid spoilers. How freaky!

You weren't a dick. :) I was actually worried I was being a dick by leaving it unmarked. :lol

Munin

So what are the chances of a PC port being announce anytime soon? :/ I sold my 360 recently, and RDR is the only game that I really, really would like to play.

Evolved1

I'm at a pretty annoying part of the game.... I'm going to shoot this fucking dog I swear to god.

DonMigs85

Munin said:
So what are the chances of a PC port being announce anytime soon? :/ I sold my 360 recently, and RDR is the only game that I really, really would like to play.
Probably gonna be out sometime next year, similar to GTAIV. I just hope it's much better optimized.
It should look AMAZING in 1080p and at least a steady 30FPS.

Evolved1

Finished the main story... I'm at about 90% single player completion. Not really in the mood to do final impressions atm, but they were overwhelmingly positive. One of the greatest games ever, without doubt.

I think about my list of gripes and they're pretty minor considering the scope of the game. Little technical issues here and there and some annoyances during gameplay due to occasional clunkiness in the controls, but it's all minor stuff. I'd say my biggest complaint as far as gameplay enjoyment was the damn game automatically holstering my weapon a few seconds after I'd drawn it. That was actually just perpetually bothersome through the entire single player experience because it made the game feel far more clunky than it really was. Devs, if I'm in expert targeting mode and I pull my weapon... it's because I meant to. And I'll put it away when I want to, thanks. It was really annoying. Unnecessarily.

I'll post a little later on the positives.

Amazing/10

todahawk

recklessmind said:
Finished the main story... I'm at about 90% single player completion. Not really in the mood to do final impressions atm, but they were overwhelmingly positive. One of the greatest games ever, without doubt.

I think about my list of gripes and they're pretty minor considering the scope of the game. Little technical issues here and there and some annoyances during gameplay due to occasional clunkiness in the controls, but it's all minor stuff. I'd say my biggest complaint as far as gameplay enjoyment was the damn game automatically holstering my weapon a few seconds after I'd drawn it. That was actually just perpetually bothersome through the entire single player experience because it made the game feel far more clunky than it really was. Devs, if I'm in expert targeting mode and I pull my weapon... it's because I meant to. And I'll put it away when I want to, thanks. It was really annoying. Unnecessarily.

I'll post a little later on the positives.

Amazing/10

Just about done with act 2 I think, I'm pushing hard to finish so I can get back to some multiplayer.

Goldrusher

Foliorum Viridum said:
Is that considered spoiler stuff? Oops. I thought it was pretty common knowledge, I've seen it talked about in other threads and on lots of podcasts etc.

I've tagged it just to be safe. :)
I think it's a secret trophy, but it's not story related.

Evolved1

greenjerk said:
Just about done with act 2 I think, I'm pushing hard to finish so I can get back to some multiplayer.

Near the end the game drags a little bit... even worse than the end of Mexico... but I think when it's all said and done, I like how they ended things. A bit of repetitive, slightly boring gameplay is not too much to endure for a very interesting, satisfying conclusion.

I'm starting MP again soon... but not before I 100% the SP. I'm so close, might as well. And it's still fun to do the side stuff.

Hey You

Anyone experience the bug with the Stranger Character Mission "The Wronged Woman"?

I went to the church, talked to the girl. I then went to the saloon, talked with Harold and then dueled. I won and looted his body.

However, the Question Mark symbol appeared outside the saloon. I saved the game twice and even rode up to the church. Still outside. I restarted my xbox 360 and there was Harold standing on top of his dead body. I pulled my gun and pointed at him, and it said the Mission has failed.

I have googled this, and numerous others have had this problem.

I have emailed RDR support, waiting on a reply. Anyone else experience this issue? What should I do?

Chris_C

I just got this on Wednesday... productivity in my off hours has suffered somewhat. Great game. I have yet to play Gay Tony, but going back to GTA IV's sluggish controls will be hard, even though I actually loved the heck out of that game.

Erasus

Got this a few days a go. Finished up The Darkness and went on this. Seems great so far. Taking cover feels more unchartedey

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Anyone still playing online? I've spent a shitload of time playing the single player but I probably haven't put much more than an hour into the multiplayer portion. I feel like I'm missing out on a huge chunk of the game but I just don't get it I guess. The deathmatch and capture the flag style modes aren't very interesting. I like the idea of free mode but it's basically just me running around by myself as people take shots at me.

I'll probably try out some co-op missions for the first time tonight, if anyone on XBL wants to play you should add me. I'd rather play with some decent people than randoms.

So, eight hours in my impression of this game goes from loving it, to really questioning some design choices. I'm really enjoying the experience as a whole, but I feel that the strength of the game isn't being played up to as much as it could be.

For example, I've just got to
Mexico
and with the invasion of the
fort
and the journey there afterwards, I've probably killed 100 guys in the last half an hour. It's not very fun to do that. The shooting mechanics are good, but I don't think that the missions should be structured around just doing that. I mean, the coolest part of the last hour was,
upon arrival in Mexico, having that song play as I rode across the hills, into the sunset with the river flowing next to me and a pack of wolves running around.
and I think that sums up my whole experience thus far.

I'd much rather be in the wild, experiencing things like that in a mission, rather than invading a town and shooting dozens of bandits. I realise that to many that's a really cool fantasy that's been promoted by certain films etc, but to me the strongest parts of the game has been the start where you help out Bonnie on her farm and deal with everyday issues, or slightly more dramatic conflicts like
saving her horses before the barn burns down.

Also, all of the unique things that I mentioned in this post have been somewhat ruined by the fact that these things keep occuring. I've now helped a dozen women get their horse and carriage back, saved even more from a pack of wolves, etc etc. I realise it adds much more content to the game, but I liked them because they were these moments which felt natural. The mechanics of chasing down a guy who has stole a horse isn't that much fun, but stumbling upon this rare situation that I could help with? That was a rush. I wish that Rockstar had created many more things like this to include in the game so that they didn't repeat themselves too much and thus ruining the impact of the events.

I realise this could be read as a very negative post, but it's not intended that way. It's only because the game does so many things right that the other aspects stand out to me as questionable or disappointing. I think here Rockstar could've made a much more subtle experience where you're not the best shot in the wild west and kill bandits by the dozen and still had an amazing game, if they focused less on GTA-esque missions and more on the way that life was hard back then and how smaller tasks could be just as compelling.

dk_

I was just browsing my achievements on the Xbox hp and I saw that the "No dice" achievement of Red Dead Redemption is gone, although it is mentioned on numerous sites such as xbox360achievements.org.

And you thought Activision is mad :
From IGN :
Rockstar Games has dated the first of four additional downloadable packs for Red Dead Redemption it announced last month.

Dubbed the Legends and Killers Pack, players will get nine new multiplayer maps, a new Tomahawk weapon, additional trophies and achievements, and eight new playable multiplayer characters from Red Dead Revolver, 2004's western title released for PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

The pack will be available for download on Xbox Live for 800 Microsoft Points and PlayStation Network for $9.99 next week on August 10.

moai

Hey You said:
Anyone experience the bug with the Stranger Character Mission "The Wronged Woman"?

I went to the church, talked to the girl. I then went to the saloon, talked with Harold and then dueled. I won and looted his body.

However, the Question Mark symbol appeared outside the saloon. I saved the game twice and even rode up to the church. Still outside. I restarted my xbox 360 and there was Harold standing on top of his dead body. I pulled my gun and pointed at him, and it said the Mission has failed.

I have googled this, and numerous others have had this problem.

I have emailed RDR support, waiting on a reply. Anyone else experience this issue? What should I do?

something similar happened to me, on the mission
where the son goes hunting bears. i killed the bear and the cutscene triggers. during the cutscene i could see two jacks, there was a model of the son still hiding behind the rock and the other one was talking to john and getting on the horse. the way back i could only hear john talking, the dialogue for jack was muted.
really weird seeing two models of jack at the same time.

Hey You

moai said:
something similar happened to me, on the mission
where the son goes hunting bears. i killed the bear and the cutscene triggers. during the cutscene i could see two jacks, there was a model of the son still hiding behind the rock and the other one was talking to john and getting on the horse. the way back i could only hear john talking, the dialogue for jack was muted.
really weird seeing two models of jack at the same time.
:lol Weird.

I have emailed and tweeted RDR support about this, they haven't replied back yet.

Chris_C

So RDR has apparently taught me how to play poker. I mean, in the past week I've easily sunk 12 hours into it. I'm still a little fuzzy on some of the more exotic hands though.

Karud

Chris_C said:
So RDR has apparently taught me how to play poker. I mean, in the past week I've easily sunk 12 hours into it. I'm still a little fuzzy on some of the more exotic hands though.

R* is training you to lose everything you own in real life gambling. :lol

On the other hand, I bought a set of liar's dice, because of RDR.

Decado

This is probably the most interesting open-world game since Mafia, for me. That being said, most of the usual issues apply: pacing is slow and travelling gets dull, the side quests are often lame and R* likes to force me to play silly mini-games that I couldn't care less about. The action is considerably better than GTA and many other 3rd person shooters, though.

I get the feeling some elements are going to be squandered and awesome ideas unimplemented.

That being said, the setting, acting and cutscenes are nicely done. Would much rather see a sequel to this than GTA. A pity they let some of the RDR team go :(

Bleh, the game fucking glitched on me after
And the truth will set you free
mission and didn't give me any kind of marker or anything for the next missions. I really don't want to do that mission again, motherfucker.

Anyone had this happen to them? Hell, I'd say I went through a good damn portion of the game glitch free, but the past two hours or so I've played have been buggy as hell.

Fuck me, my first encounter with bears was so much fun. He came running out of the trees at me, so I pumped his face full of shotgun shells. Proud with myself, I turn around and see another running straight at me and he manages to knock me to the floor. I somewhat scramble up quick enough to put another two shotgun shells in his face, but then out of nowhere a third came charging at me and mauled me before I had a chance to reload. :lol

Mr. Sam

I remember when I was hunting a bear - and my friend was watching me - I was making my way through the woods and crouching; walking real slow. I was listening and looking carefully. I was surveying some trees a few hundred yards away with my sniper scope when all of a sudden, one just strolled up behind me and was like, "Hey, what you huntin'?" I nearly shat my pants.

Well, fuck, I just completed it.

I knew he was going to die during one of the missions with his son, just by the way he was talking and how I was having an active role in "making him a man" but it still hit me really hard. I love how the last hour dropped all of the previous shit and took it back to the basics, giving you time to see John at home with his family and trying to get his life back together. I loved the first two hours of the game for presenting the mundane aspects of Western life in such a way and the pay-off here was perfect. When I was protecting my family I felt a rush that I hadn't felt throughout the entire game, and then when I opened those barn doors and saw my inevitable death I thought "fuck it" in my head which then lead seamlessly into the game giving me one last chance to defend myself.

My final time was 18 hours, which is about 10 shorter than the time it took me to finish GTA4. I think this proves that Rockstar have realised that their stories are better when they keep it short (as proven by the GTA 4 Episodes) however I still feel that if the main story of the game was 10 hours shorter my view of it overall would be better.
Mexico
was an awkward middle section which really didn't have much point. The change in scenery was nice, but the characters and missions had no impact on me. I much prefered to see how the Wild West was being affected by modernity and the government, rather than the
quest for revolution
which has been done in so many other games. I also felt that at a point the mission structers got a bit repetive: going from X to kill a bunch of Ys and then returning to X. One real standout mission to me near the end was
scoping out the base up in Tall Trees with the Native American and having to split up and scale the mountain. I came across a bear I had to kill, a couger that chased me as I was reloading so I had to run and leap up a ledge and the whole sense of exploration was fantastic. I wish there was more of that rather than shooting a bunch of bandits in a town.

Despite my criticisms of the story, the best aspects of the game stems from the amazing world Rockstar created. I didn't think I'd see a world as well realised as Liberty City for quite some time, but they managed to do it. I can't think of many developers that would make such an empty landscape an interesting place to be but I loved it when I got away from the railroads and saloons to go hunt some deer or bears up in the mountains, then galloping across the desert with the sun setting and fellow riders appearing as silhouettes on the horizon.

Dabanton

Mikasangelos said:
I just started this game 2 days ago.....any pointers.

Take your time and explore. The side missons are fun as are some of the challenges you come across just riding around.

Don't kill people for no good reason as you'll incur a bounty which you have to pay.

Angst

Foliorum Viridum said:
Could you expand on this? I've just done 2 more hours, doing a bounty or two, helping strangers etc, and nothing has triggered. Do I need to go to a certain place or something? :)
Yes. Read a newspaper for clues. End-game spoiler:
you're looking for the guy who killed your father.

DarkKyo

On the way to Maine last week I noticed a redemption center on the road called "Marston's Redemption" :lol

Wish I got a pic but we never went by it again.

Dead Man

Foliorum Viridum said:
Could you expand on this? I've just done 2 more hours, doing a bounty or two, helping strangers etc, and nothing has triggered. Do I need to go to a certain place or something? :)
More direct description (instruction spoiler, not a story spoiler)
Stranger mission in Blackwater at the train station.

Dechaios said:
On the way to Maine last week I noticed a redemption center on the road called "Marston's Redemption" :lol

Wish I got a pic but we never went by it again.
That's pretty funny.

Montresor

The new DLC looks so unappealing. I've put ~~65 hours and counting in multiplayer, almost all of it in free roam. I love getting a posse together and doing gang hideouts, journal challenges, etc... following the blue posse leader waypoint on the mini map. I just can't stand the game play in the competitive multiplayer modes (capture the bags, free for all, and gang shootouts). It kind of annoys me that there's a whole DLC pack devoted almost exclusively towards the competitive multiplayer modes.

On the bright side there is one new achievement I can get without having to buy the new DLC or play an ounce of multiplayer modes:

Call it a Comeback!
Come back from 2-0 deficit and win a Hold Your Own game.

Who needs Deadeye?
Kill 3 or more players in a standoff or showdown.

Stick and Move
Get 3 kills with knives or throwing knives in a single competitive match.

Double Bagger
Double capture 3 times in a single Gold Rush map.

Headhunter
Kill 5 players via headshot in a single Shootout or Gang Shootout.

Legendary
Reach level 50 and pass into Legend.

Hail Mary
Get a kill greater than 35 yards with a Tomahawk.

Axe Master
Complete all Tomahawk challenges in Single Player.

Original Gunslinger
Get 25 Deadeye kills with Red.

Reeeeal Good
Get 25 Dynamite kills with Pig Josh.

Montresor

neoism said:
Is the in game clock broke in this game...? I know I've played longer than 40 hours..

If it helps, the stat pages for single player and multiplayer record statistics completely separately. I.E. maybe your single player stat page says you've played 25 hours, and your multiplayer stat page says you've played 40 hours, for a total of 65 hours overall in Red Dead.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just started playing this last week and it is as good as everybody said it was. Done 30 of the 57 story missions with 10hr 22min on the clock. Spent a fair bit of time doing missions for "strangers" since they are particularly entertaining. They did a much better job integrating them here than in GTA IV. Nice to see after nine years Rockstar / Take 2 have another team capable of taking the engine and doing something cool with it. Game of the Year so far for me.

Chris_C said:
I just got this on Wednesday... productivity in my off hours has suffered somewhat. Great game. I have yet to play Gay Tony, but going back to GTA IV's sluggish controls will be hard, even though I actually loved the heck out of that game.

I finally broke down and bought Episodes from Liberty City and realized why I was so hesitant to buy RDR, which is still my GOTY. For some reason I find the GTA missions really, really sloppily designed or frustratingly hard for the sake of being frustratingly hard. Call it dumbed down, easy or casual, but I found RDR much more fun simply because I didn't want to throw my controller every 20 minutes. I can't believe RDR people got laid off. The GTA team could learn a lot from them. It just pisses me off all the DLC is for mp stuff.

Top Bottom