• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Running into some really strange bugs. Earlier in the last mission in Mexico the entire cut scene would be skipped and go straight to the duel with the soldier. Now I am playing the
"And the truth shall set you free" mission
and when a cut scene is triggered
it is immediately followed by a FAIL screen saying I let Dutch get away.

WTF? :lol

Loving Blackwater (way, way better than Mexico) and the game is terrific overall, just left scratching my head at that one.

Bizzyb

Banned
Dead Man said:
Okay, I have gone back to RDR for another playthrough, and it is still an awesome game, and probably still my favourite this gen, but (isn't there always a but?) R* made some damn irritating choices, which if different, could have made the experience so much more enjoyable.

3 save slots? Really? Why? It makes no sense. They have effectively unlimited saves space available, why not use it, so people can have some saves at different points, especially since you cannot go back from a few points that change the game quite a bit.

This pissed me off too, but I think the did this due to the fact you can now replay older missions. So unlike GTAIV where you had to save right after the mission "Waste Knots Want Knots" in order to replay the mission "Three Leaf Clover", in RDR you don't have to strategically save or else be screwed forever.

Dead Man said:
Controls. Really, so much rubbish here. X to run, hitting doors, all that crap. But other aspects of the controls are crap too. If you draw your gun, it's probably for a reason, don't make him put it away just before I go to shoot someone. And why stop reloading when you leave or enter cover, it makes no sense. Water = instadeath? Who decided that? It's a terrible mechanic, which has a purpose that I'll also address.

The run controls are done so that you ca easily, walk/stroll to take in the scenery, etc. It puts an emphasis on just relaxing and soaking in sights and not running everywhere. The thing with drawing your gun, well, you can easily redraw it by pressing L button if I recall correctly. Water instant death is indeed lame and stupid. Probably just them being lazy.Although since there are no boats maybe they decided it was best for gameplay purposes (no one wants to end up stuck spending 5+ mins swimming out of a lake or back to shore from the ocean.

As for the closed off map, I was hoping there would be a future expansion pack that opened up those areas

todahawk

I don't get the issues with the Mexico parts of the game... maybe its because I love and watched so many Westerns that involve Mexico but I didn't really find it slow, boring or tedious...

Mooreberg

greenjerk said:
I don't get the issues with the Mexico parts of the game... maybe its because I love and watched so many Westerns that involve Mexico but I didn't really find it slow, boring or tedious...

It just seemed like it dragged on forever and isn't nearly as good as the other areas of the game.

Anyway, had the most hilarious unintentional kill I've seen in some time in a game. After
ridding the world of Dutch
there is a bounty posted nearby. I accepted it and rode up to near the mountain where the guy was located. I killed all of his friends really quick with the power pistol and then I hogtied him so I bring him back alive. Once the hogtie animation is over with, the fact that the mountain had a lot of snow on it led the physics system to have him do a face first luge down the side of the cliff and die. :lol Still got $120 anyhow.

Interested to see where the last bit of the game goes. I'm starting it now and I've managed to avoid spoilers over the last three months other than people mentioning how cool it is.

Dead Man

Bizzyb said:
This pissed me off too, but I think the did this due to the fact you can now replay older missions. So unlike GTAIV where you had to save right after the mission "Waste Knots Want Knots" in order to replay the mission "Three Leaf Clover", in RDR you don't have to strategically save or else be screwed forever.
I would agree with that if you could use the new weapons when you replayed missions, or if (Story spoilers ahead)
you could change outfits once you go back to the farm. Since John dies at the end (which was a great decision, I think) after you get to the farm, if you have not saved before that, you cannot change outfits until you are playing as Jack. And who wants to play as Jack?

todahawk

Mooreberg said:
It just seemed like it dragged on forever and isn't nearly as good as the other areas of the game.

Anyway, had the most hilarious unintentional kill I've seen in some time in a game. After
ridding the world of Dutch
there is a bounty posted nearby. I accepted it and rode up to near the mountain where the guy was located. I killed all of his friends really quick with the power pistol and then I hogtied him so I bring him back alive. Once the hogtie animation is over with, the fact that the mountain had a lot of snow on it led the physics system to have him do a face first luge down the side of the cliff and die. :lol Still got $120 anyhow.

Interested to see where the last bit of the game goes. I'm starting it now and I've managed to avoid spoilers over the last three months other than people mentioning how cool it is.

Hmm, it didn't really seem to drag on for me. Maybe cuz i only did the story missions for Mexico and didn't screw around as much.

I won't spoil anything for you but FYI the game isn't truly over until the credits roll. Absolutely loved the ending.

unomas

Banned
Just finished the campaign, very impressed with the entire world and story. The gameplay although GTAesque was unique enough where I wanted to finish before I got too bored with it. I've never finished a GTA game, but Red Dead was solid and I had a hard time putting it down. I've got a backlog of games otherwise I'd probably play some online free roam or multiplayer, only ended up with 16% of the trophies in the game as I didn't really bother with any side missions. completion time was 16 hours. Great game.

ACE 1991

So is there something I'm missing with the save system? I seem to be periodically losing progress. I was three hours in and now other saves are under a half hour of game time.

Arucardo

Mooreberg said:
Running into some really strange bugs. Earlier in the last mission in Mexico the entire cut scene would be skipped and go straight to the duel with the soldier.
Interesting, this happened to me too... Can't remember if I had any other big glitches in the game tho.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
An easy way to save the game without having to camp is to just press select and change your horse. Takes two seconds. Automatically saves.

Game has some warts (putting the weapon away automatically drives me fucking nuts -- person responsible for that should be kicked in the shin) but overall it's just too good to really complain loudly about much at all. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes videogames.

9/10

todahawk

recklessmind said:
An easy way to save the game without having to camp is to just press select and change your horse. Takes two seconds. Automatically saves.

Game has some warts (putting the weapon away automatically drives me fucking nuts -- person responsible for that should be kicked in the shin) but overall it's just too good to really complain loudly about much at all. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes videogames.

9/10

Hey, just starting to get back online again and forgot to tell ya, i lost all my multiplayer progress. i was at level 26. :( not touching it again until i get 100% on single player, i'm almost there, i'm around 95% and just need to finish some bounties and other small jobs.

Evolved1

greenjerk said:
Hey, just starting to get back online again and forgot to tell ya, i lost all my multiplayer progress. i was at level 26. :( not touching it again until i get 100% on single player, i'm almost there, i'm around 95% and just need to finish some bounties and other small jobs.

I'm close to 100% in SP... I have to do that thing where you beat all the gang hideouts within 24 game hours.

Hard to motivate myself for that one haha.

I'm at lvl 20 right now in mp... sucks big time that you lost your progress. :/

Shoot me a message when you want to do some mp... I don't know anyone else who plays this online. Need help with some co-op stuff.

todahawk

recklessmind said:
I'm close to 100% in SP... I have to do that thing where you beat all the gang hideouts within 24 game hours.

Hard to motivate myself for that one haha.

I'm at lvl 20 right now in mp... sucks big time that you lost your progress. :/

Shoot me a message when you want to do some mp... I don't know anyone else who plays this online. Need help with some co-op stuff.

cool, sounds good... will do. yeah, i know i'll need help on the co-op and MP stuff. i don't have anyone else i know playing it either except for one friend, and he's just starting the single player.

Today I was collecting some plants in Diez Coronas, when I noticed a woman begging for help. She asked me if I could take her to the next town. So, I took her with me and instantly got shot by some gangsters. And the "next" town she wanted me to bring her there wasn't something near, but Chuparosa...

I took her there anyway, she gave me a hug and 7 bucks.

Should have shot her right when I picked her up..

Hey You

Patrick Bateman said:
Today I was collecting some plants in Diez Coronas, when I noticed a woman begging for help. She asked me if I could take her to the next town. So, I took her with me and instantly got shot by some gangsters. And the "next" town she wanted me to bring her there wasn't something near, but Chuparosa...

I took her there anyway, she gave me a hug and 7 bucks.

Should have shot her right when I picked her up..
:lol

You should have atleast shot her after and see if that cheap bitch had anymore money.:lol

Oreoleo

NIGHT- said:
Any tips on how to win at liars dice? I have to win a round of it to continue on with my stranger mission :/

Don't bluff, ever. Also every time a bid is placed you can either increase the count of the dice or the actual face value (ie, how many of a particular face value are on the table OR the actual face value). It is more beneficial to start the bid at 1 die with a face value 1 rather than 1 die with a face value of 6 so you have more bid options by the time it gets back around to you. Hope that all made sense :\

NIGHT-

Orellio said:
Don't bluff, ever. Also every time a bid is placed you can either increase the count of the dice or the actual face value (ie, how many of a particular face value are on the table OR the actual face value). It is more beneficial to start the bid at 1 die with a face value 1 rather than 1 die with a face value of 6 so you have more bid options by the time it gets back around to you. Hope that all made sense :\
Thanks, gonna give it another go.

Mindlog

Orellio said:

I almost always bluff at the start of the game :] It throws them off if they continue to build off of your bluff number. I also normally start the bid as high as possible so they start bluffing sooner. When the bid comes back around it's an easier decision to make.

Once you get them down to less than half their dice the AI is terrible.
Actually, it's probably just that the AI is terrible. When you get the hang of it you win every time. I won a lot of games waiting for sunset/rise/an NPC to get in position.

If 2 other opponents:
First bet is 2-3 a high number I don't have or if I rolled 3+ of a number then that number I rolled +1 die.

todahawk

Anyone else running into glitches where their horse just up and dies?

It was kinda random before but on two bounties I was on foot once, i called the horse and it died and the other time it died while we were riding toward town (but no enemies visible or on radar).

DonMigs85

Mindlog said:
I almost always bluff at the start of the game :] It throws them off if they continue to build off of your bluff number. I also normally start the bid as high as possible so they start bluffing sooner. When the bid comes back around it's an easier decision to make.

Once you get them down to less than half their dice the AI is terrible.
Actually, it's probably just that the AI is terrible. When you get the hang of it you win every time. I won a lot of games waiting for sunset/rise/an NPC to get in position.

If 2 other opponents:
First bet is 2-3 a high number I don't have or if I rolled 3+ of a number then that number I rolled +1 die.
When they have only one dice left it's a sure win since they always tell the truth.

greenjerk said:
Anyone else running into glitches where their horse just up and dies?

It was kinda random before but on two bounties I was on foot once, i called the horse and it died and the other time it died while we were riding toward town (but no enemies visible or on radar).

Could it be a snake?

This game would be fun except for the connection problems. "Session problems with other players."

Fuck that. Every other Xbox game works, says I have open Nat. Router is set to open nat. RDR doesn't work.

So, I'm still collecting plants to get to level 10. Now I have to collect 10 bunches of edelweiss and two other plants. I collected 10 edelweiss and two other plants, but the bar is not even halffull. Do they mean 10 bunches = 20 sole plants?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Patrick Bateman said:
So, I'm still collecting plants to get to level 10. Now I have to collect 10 bunches of edelweiss and two other plants. I collected 10 edelweiss and two other plants, but the bar is not even halffull. Do they mean 10 bunches = 20 sole plants?
Select the challenge in your journal. It should show you how much you collected versus how much you need for each item.

hipgnosis

Finished this one a week ago. What an awesome game. The presentation was probably the best I've seen this gen. Music was really great also.
I was especially impressed near the end when I was returning to my ranch and Compass was playing. What an awesome scene.
Enjoyed the ending aswell and was satisfied when the credits rolled.

I'd take this over GTA anytime.

Goldrusher

Patrick Bateman said:
That's your problem right there. You don't need "two other plants", but "two of every plant available".

Evolved1

Patrick Bateman said:
What the hell???

You can actually do it pretty quick... use a survivalist map and you should have everything collected from all areas before the time expires.

Salsa

Net_Wrecker said:
So rumor is Brad Pitt will be playing John Marston in a RDR movie. I can see it working, but I don't know how official the news actually is.

Everytime a new movie comes up, Brad Pitt is rumored to star.

I wouldnt hold my breath.

Dabanton

greenjerk said:
Hmm, it didn't really seem to drag on for me. Maybe cuz i only did the story missions for Mexico and didn't screw around as much.

I won't spoil anything for you but FYI the game isn't truly over until the credits roll. Absolutely loved the ending.

I loved the Mexico sections. I used to love the missions where the NPC would be riding somewhere and John joined them and they would have a long conversation as they rode to the misson.

Radogol

New DLC details at Rockstar website.

The part I found most baffling/interesting:

Later this fall, we will be presenting our original mostly Single-Player DLC release: the Undead Nightmare Pack.

Unleashed upon the world of Red Dead Redemption, the Undead Nightmare Pack will feature an entirely new single-player campaign that follows John Marston as he tries to find a cure for the highly infectious zombie plague that has spread across the frontier.

In addition to the lengthy single-player adventure, The Undead Nightmare Pack features brand new gameplay mechanics, weapons, zombie animals, mythical creatures and even a brand new secret location.

The Undead Nightmare Pack will be available simultaneously for download via PlayStation Network ($9.99) and Xbox LIVE (800 Microsoft Points). We'll have lots more info soon.

I'm not entirely opposed to playing up the supernatural aspect of the Old West, but I'm still surprised they're taking it this far. Mythical creatures?

Bizzyb

Banned
Radogol said:

I'm not entirely opposed to playing up the supernatural aspect of the Old West, but I'm still surprised they're taking it this far. Mythical creatures?

There be Yeti in dem dere hills...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Radogol said:

This sounds pretty awesome, despite being ridiculous. I'm enjoying the hunting challenges so hopefully I can bag me a yeti or something.

Radogol said:

Sounds great!

At the very least...
I get to play as John again... miss the guy

Lothars

So it looks like the next DLC pack will be out September 21st, I wish it would be out sooner but at least they have announced a date for it.

Moobabe

Lothars said:
So it looks like the next DLC pack will be out September 21st, I wish it would be out sooner but at least they have announced a date for it.

And the free roam pack is bundled in with the paid DLC :(

Mooreberg

Finished. Definitely my Game of the Year so far. And likely to remain that way since this fall is looking a bit lean on releases.

* Game completed
* 83.2%

* Total time played
* 23:51:48

* Days passed
* 31 days

* Missions completed

* Missions failed

* Missions retried

All the stuff they did with the R* Social Club pages is terrific. Now to 100% this sucker and perhaps eventually try multiplayer when I re-up on Live Gold. :D

Kak.efes

It's kind of ridiculous that poker wasn't included in free roam when the game launched. That, along with the scarcity of people in towns (in free roam) were my only two gripes.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Yeah, every time I see this thread on the front page I always try to figure out if it means a PC version announcement. :lol

Alucrid

Banned
Moobabe said:
And the free roam pack is bundled in with the paid DLC :(

That pissed me off. I was probably going to buy that set of DLC anyways, but now this means that I can't play the free one with my friend who rarely buys DLC.

Top Bottom