• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

gdt

I'm trying to get the Reyes' Rebels Outfit, and I've completed all of the tasks minus the last one.

Problem is, the general store in Escalera won't let me purchase it. The scrap has an "unavailable" sign over it :/. Is this a glitch or something? Or do I have to do some rebel missions first?

aparisi2274

Just finished the game tonight, with about 32hrs of playtime, and all I can say is, wow!

When I picked the game up, I didn't think I would like it one bit seeing as how I am not a fan of the GTA series, and this is pretty much GTA in the old west, but the more I got into the game, the more I enjoyed the story, and the gorgeous scenery and backdrops (if you haven't yet watched a sunrise in this game, stop and do yourself a favor.) are just awe-inspiring.

My overall score for the game is an 8.5! There were some minor glitches that annoyed the crap out of me, and I was not a big fan of missions that only appeared at certain times of the day, forcing me to save multiple times in a row, just to get the mission to open.

I am probably going to skip on the MP portion of the game as I am not a fan of annoying little fleebs who constantly just camp out waiting to snipe/shoot players as they spawn into a match.

I'll tell you what I won't be skipping, the inevitable sequel, where you continue on as
Jack Marston.

EDIT: I completed 80.9% of the game.

Finally picked this game up, waited until I could find a used copy for uber cheap (20$).

Holy fuck this game blew away Limbo as my GOTY. I am convinced there will be nothing to replace it, though ME2 is still waiting for me. As everyone knows there's a million and one things to do in the single-player, but what really surprised me was how addictive and fun the multiplayer is. It's out of this world. Co-op missions, gang shootouts, capture the bag, all of it completely enticing and refreshing. I hope people play this for a long time to come, which I believe they will.

GOTY, GOTY, GOTY. Should not have bought this during the school year. :lol

gdt

Just finished this, and holy moly jesus christ what a game. During HUGE ACTUAL SPOILERS
John's death, I was on the verge of tears figuring that was the end. But nope, I got one more mission as the awesome Jack looking for revenge.

What a fantastic game. One of the best games ever made.

35 hrs, 96%. Wonder what I'm missing...

Edit: Duh, I'm missing a few outfits.

I'm having this annoying bug in the game. I can't start the mission after West Dickens go to the doctor. It says come back tomorrow at 8PM, I do that and it keeps saying the same thing. I tried 8AM, slept for several days, did a couple of stranger questions and still nothing.

Anyone had something similar happened? Am I fucked and gonna have to start over?

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
I'm having this annoying bug in the game. I can't start the mission after West Dickens go to the doctor. It says come back tomorrow at 8PM, I do that and it keeps saying the same thing. I tried 8AM, slept for several days, did a couple of stranger questions and still nothing.

Anyone had something similar happened? Am I fucked and gonna have to start over?
Never had that happen, what console are you on. I had a bug on PS3 that fixed itself after I uninstalled the game data and reinstalled, maybe try that?

DireStr8s

sweet jesus, i can't figure out the redeemed trophy. according to a trophy checklist i have done **everything** (8,8, & 4 bounties even), yet here i sit clueless @ 95.5% complete.

I love this game but this is darn annoying.

gdt

Where can I check my bounties at (360 version)?

I could've sworn I saw a counter somewhere...

I'm at 99.5%. Each bounty adds .01% :/. I'm pretty sure it's the bounties I'm missing...

DireStr8s

gdt5016 said:

I'm at 99.5%. Each bounty adds .01% :/. I'm pretty sure it's the bounties I'm missing...

you can check your bounties @ the rockstar social club site and your in-game stats . you need 8 from new austin, 8 from psuedo-mexico & 4 from blackwater.

Dead Man said:
Never had that happen, what console are you on. I had a bug on PS3 that fixed itself after I uninstalled the game data and reinstalled, maybe try that?

Thanks, but the problem seems to have fixed it self... After alot of hunting and sleeping it finally swiched to "Come back at 8PM today" and then switched to "Come back between 5PM-8PM" and the next day it worked. Pretty weird lol.

gdt5016 said:

Did you do the Aztec Gold strangers mission? I'm pretty sure its worth .5% and it was the only thing I had left after I finished all the bounties.

DodgerSan

I'm another in the "just finished it today" camp.

I've been sitting at the last 4-5 missions for a couple of weeks trying to catch up on other stuff. But I really wanted to get this done before Reach Tuesday.

Amazing, amazing game. The atmosphere, detail and setting are second to none. The writing's great as well. Really strong contender for GOTY for me.

The 'real' ending is so emotional and well handled as well. I don't know if it's scripted, but as I approached Ross's hunting camp, a thunderstorm broke out, and our final shootout was held to the sound of thunder. Awesome stuff! :D

I just wanted to say that I thought this game was very boring. I thought the controls were stiff and awkward, and the combat way too easy and felt like the combat in a B level game. I also thought the game had way, way, way too many cut-scenes. Also, riding the horse was in no way fun. Thank you.

Great... now I'm having another bug... Trying to do the Gang Hideouts in 24 hours for the suit and Tumbleweed is ALWAYS deserted. I've tried waiting a full week and it was still deserted :S

DodgerSan said:
I'm another in the "just finished it today" camp.

I've been sitting at the last 4-5 missions for a couple of weeks trying to catch up on other stuff. But I really wanted to get this done before Reach Tuesday.

Amazing, amazing game. The atmosphere, detail and setting are second to none. The writing's great as well. Really strong contender for GOTY for me.

The 'real' ending is so emotional and well handled as well. I don't know if it's scripted, but as I approached Ross's hunting camp, a thunderstorm broke out, and our final shootout was held to the sound of thunder. Awesome stuff! :D

Did that for me too, I assume its scripted.

Now, in all sincerity, now that the hype is gone, please answer one question before I buy the game: how really are the controls?

Exactly the same as in GTA IV or kinda tweaked/better? Because I thought that those were godawful and made the game almost unplayable to me.

Guevara

Mt Heart Attack said:
Now, in all sincerity, now that the hype is gone, please answer one question before I buy the game: how really are the controls?

Exactly the same as in GTA IV or kinda tweaked/better? Because I thought that those were godawful and made the game almost unplayable to me.

Super better.

vazel

Banned
Mt Heart Attack said:

Controls are too easy, no worries there. Auto-aim helps you out too much, and then there's dead eye targeting which is just cheap. I hope for a PC port where auto-aim is disabled and you're just relying on mouse precision.

vazel said:
Controls are too easy, no worries there. Auto-aim helps you out too much, and then there's dead eye targeting which is just cheap. I hope for a PC port where auto-aim is disabled and you're just relying on mouse precision.

You can disable auto-aim on the console versions.

vazel

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
You can disable auto-aim on the console versions.
Still, no auto-aim with mouse would be better. I do realize why they enable auto-aim on gamepads(especially trying to aim while riding a horse with a gamepad would be annoying).

vazel said:
Still, no auto-aim with mouse would be better. I do realize why they enable auto-aim on gamepads(especially trying to aim while riding a horse with a gamepad would be annoying).
Don't forget you have dead-eye as well though. The combination of manual aiming and dead-eye for difficult situations (such as shooting pursuing riders from horseback) actually works really well on consoles. The controls are excellent.

Mt Heart Attack said:

Yes, John Marston has the same weight and feel as the GTA characters. Jumping is still amazingly awkward but it's rarely used. I feel the character controls were better in the original Red Dead. I guess it was something left over by Capcom...

But don't let my nit picking hinder your decision. If you did, you'd miss one of the best games this generation.

Dead Man

FrostuTheNinja said:
Yes, John Marston has the same weight and feel as the GTA characters. Jumping is still amazingly awkward but it's rarely used. I feel the character controls were better in the original Red Dead. I guess it was something left over by Capcom...

But don't let my nit picking hinder your decision. If you did, you'd miss one of the best games this generation.
Yeah, the character movement has the same feel, but the combat mechanics are improved (especially the cover system), which helps a lot. It is similar enough to GTAIV that I was really disappointed at first, but unlike GTAIV, it is rarely intrusive. Except on some doorways where John insists on walking into the doorframe!

Rezbit

Just finished all the story missions.
Man, what a depressing ending. Everyone dies, except the son who gets a massively hollow revenge. Sad face.
Awesome game though.

Just realized that the new DLC lets you play the mini games online... and they're charging for it...

That kinda fucking sucks, something that should have been there from the start....

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
Just realized that the new DLC lets you play the mini games online... and they're charging for it...

That kinda fucking sucks, something that should have been there from the start....
Yeah. Even if I was going to buy it, that level of cynicism would stop me.

Metalmurphy said:

That was supposed to be free dlc, iirc, but there was something about MS only allowing so much free content

IrishNinja

argh, hoping someone can help with this.

I'm at "An appointed time" -
just quick-traveled to the new town after finishing mexico, saved at the bed there
- and now im trying to load my game from a memory card on another offline 360. the load screen shows my date/time & mission properly, but when i click to load it, it goes right to the game's first mission, no matter what i do.
i tossed the data over to the system's HDD, same deal. even tried an earlier save just in case it was that mission i borked, no dice, still loads "Exodus in America" no matter what i do. any ideas?

crispyben

IrishNinja said:
argh, hoping someone can help with this.
Might be an issue with patches? I read something to that effect I think... Do you have them all?

Anyway, did any of you have issues with the "On the trail of De Vaca" achievement/trophy? I finished the game, bought all maps but something is fucked up now that I've "used" them all in sequence. All names show on my in-game map compared to the printed map or the the 100% map in the Rockstar Social Club, yet in the stats menu I only have 92/94 areas discovered, with 50/45 in New Austin, 29/32 in Nuevo Paraiso and 13/17 in West Elizabeth... What's more, the 100% map in the Rockstar Social Club says I'm 83/94!

I'm not aiming for Platinum or even finishing the game 100%, but still this pisses me off for some reason... I read something about being able to rebuy some maps, I'll investigate that in my next session.

Dead Man said:
Yeah. Even if I was going to buy it, that level of cynicism would stop me.

Well... I'm not gonna buy it, I rarely buy DLCs and the online community is pretty much dead on PS3.

Last night there wasn't a single game going on, either co-op, team based, etc... and I couldn't find a free roam with more then 3 people.

owlbeak

Anyone get the new DLC? Just purchased and am downloading now! Can't wait to have more free roam gang hideouts and hunting grounds, as well as poker and liar's dice.

Stronghold multiplayer sounds pretty good, as well. Too bad they probably didn't boost XP. It's impossible to level up when the competitive games give you like 250xp for winning. Gang Hideouts at least give you 1,000 or so.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
crispyben said:
Might be an issue with patches? I read something to that effect I think... Do you have them all?

Anyway, did any of you have issues with the "On the trail of De Vaca" achievement/trophy? I finished the game, bought all maps but something is fucked up now that I've "used" them all in sequence. All names show on my in-game map compared to the printed map or the the 100% map in the Rockstar Social Club, yet in the stats menu I only have 92/94 areas discovered, with 50/45 in New Austin, 29/32 in Nuevo Paraiso and 13/17 in West Elizabeth... What's more, the 100% map in the Rockstar Social Club says I'm 83/94!

I'm not aiming for Platinum or even finishing the game 100%, but still this pisses me off for some reason... I read something about being able to rebuy some maps, I'll investigate that in my next session.

I'm stuck at 99.9%. I'm missing the Primera Quebrada bounty location in Mexico, even though I've already fulfilled a (live) bounty there. I'm trying to get it to respawn, but I've retrieved/killed 20 bounty targets so far (bounties started at all three towns), and I'm getting repeats of everything except Primera Quebrada. I've tried different outfits too, but it just won't come up. So frustrating (and dull). :(

DireStr8s

I've only checked out some of the hideouts. All smaller scale clear/protect ranch type stuff. Enemys seem to have higher health than the older ones. The explosive rifle is pretty cool; feel less vunerable in free roam when i'm carrying it.

todahawk

Metalmurphy said:
Well... I'm not gonna buy it, I rarely buy DLCs and the online community is pretty much dead on PS3.

Last night there wasn't a single game going on, either co-op, team based, etc... and I couldn't find a free roam with more then 3 people.

yeah, i'd love to get platinum, all i need to do is finish the MP trophies but no one from my friends list is ever on anymore :(

I ignored this game/series because I don't really like Western / cowboys etc. (aside from Lucky Luke in my childhood).

Borrowed it now from a buddy....

yeah... I'm hooked right now, fucking awesome game. I do all the side stuff, too.

The world gets a big thumbs up from me. Thunderstorm. Animals.

Top Bottom