• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

gdt

Just started this last night, super awesome so far.

It's fucking beautiful, and insanely immersive. Riding through at night was so sweet.

Only about an hour and a half in.

Radogol said:
New DLC details at Rockstar website.

The part I found most baffling/interesting:

I'm not entirely opposed to playing up the supernatural aspect of the Old West, but I'm still surprised they're taking it this far. Mythical creatures?
Will buy, but developers, stop with this zombie shit. Does not fit the tone of RDR at all.

I just got the latest newsletter and it said this

The Free Roam Pack was originally planned as a free download, but due to the platform networks' restrictions on numbers of free packs we can give away

So basically Microsoft ruining things for everyone else again?

legend166

I beat the game today. Took me 19 hours and 57 minutes, and I got 75% of it done.

Pretty good overall. My main felling though after finishing it, is one of missed opportunities. They created this amazing world, but didn't use it anywhere near as well as they should have. Firstly, the story:

Talk about paper thin. Half the time the character motivations made no sense. For the first two thirds of the game, Marston seems to have no problem at all with hunting down his old crew. They tell us he was betrayed. Ok, makes sense. Then when you start going after Dutch, he won't stop whinging about it. Even after they show Dutch as a crazy murderous psychopath. Marston basically has a complete change of heart about what he's doing and they don't tell us why.

On top of that, basically the only reason they gave for the government coming back and killing Marston was "Edgar Ross and the government are dicks." It was stupid. I understand Rockstar were trying to push the whole "You can't escape the past, no matter how hard you try" theme, but at least give some motivation otherwise it doesn't come across as believable.

I don't think I need to talk about Mexico. Everyone else seems to have done so already. Talk about a waste of time.

Secondly, the missions really were a waste of the setting. You've got this whole amazing world and probably 80% of the missions still involved shooting things. So frustrating.

7.5/10.

legend166 said:
On top of that, basically the only reason they gave for the government coming back and killing Marston was "Edgar Ross and the government are dicks." It was stupid. I understand Rockstar were trying to push the whole "You can't escape the past, no matter how hard you try" theme, but at least give some motivation otherwise it doesn't come across as believable.

7.5/10.

This is wrong, the motivation was fairly obvious(to me, at least) the Government(Ross) needed a new media scapegoat to kill, Marston was it(read a paper bought after John dies, it should have a report on the death.)

Kittonwy

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Just started this last night, super awesome so far.

It's fucking beautiful, and insanely immersive. Riding through at night was so sweet.

Only about an hour and a half in.

Until a bear or a cougar comes out of nowhere and takes down your horse in one pounce and then kills ya while you're down.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
legend166 said:
I beat the game today. Took me 19 hours and 57 minutes, and I got 75% of it done.

Pretty good overall. My main felling though after finishing it, is one of missed opportunities. They created this amazing world, but didn't use it anywhere near as well as they should have. Firstly, the story:

Talk about paper thin. Half the time the character motivations made no sense. For the first two thirds of the game, Marston seems to have no problem at all with hunting down his old crew. They tell us he was betrayed. Ok, makes sense. Then when you start going after Dutch, he won't stop whinging about it. Even after they show Dutch as a crazy murderous psychopath. Marston basically has a complete change of heart about what he's doing and they don't tell us why.

I don't think I need to talk about Mexico. Everyone else seems to have done so already. Talk about a waste of time.

Secondly, the missions really were a waste of the setting. You've got this whole amazing world and probably 80% of the missions still involved shooting things. So frustrating.

7.5/10.

Marston at the end of the day was still responsible for what happened on the train, he could never escape the past, nothing was forgiven, all of those who were involved had to be hunted down and killed and Marston was the last one on the list, the public probably wanted justice paid in blood and it wasn't going to end until everyone involved was taken down, Marston probably knew deep down he wasn't going to get away with what he did in his former life.

The Mexico part just kind of illustrated how the country was forever in this cycle of being ruled by a corrupt dictator, the dictator getting overthrown by someone who would become yet another dictator (Abrahim "hope/change" Reyes), the ones in power were corrupt and the revolutionaries were naive and stupid as fuck.

ram

legend166 said:

i`ll agree on the story part - it was weak and still is.

23 hours later and I've finally finished it at about 75 percent or so...

What can I say? It truly is a masterpiece and is definitely my GotY so far. This is most certainly Rockstar's best title in their catalog and has easily surpassed everything else they've done to date.
Enough credit can't be given to the VA in this as well. Highlights for me being John Marston, Dutch, and the man in black/stranger...Easily some of the best, if no the best, voice acting I've heard in a game.

EDIT: oh yeah, and Marshall is pretty amazing too

Oreoleo

ram said:
i`ll agree on the story part - it was weak and still is.

It suffers the same problem GTA4 does of being stretched out far too long. Kudos to Rockstar for actually making a 3rd act worth giving a damn about in a video game but it takes about twice as long to get there as it should.

And it doesn't help that it sticks to the "3 island" approach like GTA does. I couldn't believe I was still in the first area waiting to go to Fort Mercer and take down Williamson at 10 hours in. They could have axed Mexico from the game completely and I don't think it would have made a difference.

I like the game and the world a lot, but they could have trimmed some of the fat in the name of a better paced narrative.

legend166

Kittonwy said:
The Mexico part just kind of illustrated how the country was forever in this cycle of being ruled by a corrupt dictator, the dictator getting overthrown by someone who would become yet another dictator (Abrahim "hope/change" Reyes), the ones in power were corrupt and the revolutionaries were naive and stupid as fuck.

But what does any of that have to do with John Marston and his story? That's the problem. It's basically a 6 hour b-plot in the middle of the game for no reason.

Esquala was a completely irrelevant character. You could have gone straight from Williamson to Dutch and not missed anything.

Daigoro

SuperSonic1305 said:
I just got the latest newsletter and it said this

So basically Microsoft ruining things for everyone else again?

god that is such comeplete bullshit.

really frustrating. certainly makes me that much less likely to buy any of the DLC they're putting out.

Orellio said:
It suffers the same problem GTA4 does of being stretched out far too long. Kudos to Rockstar for actually making a 3rd act worth giving a damn about in a video game but it takes about twice as long to get there as it should.

And it doesn't help that it sticks to the "3 island" approach like GTA does. I couldn't believe I was still in the first area waiting to go to Fort Mercer and take down Williamson at 10 hours in. They could have axed Mexico from the game completely and I don't think it would have made a difference.

I like the game and the world a lot, but they could have trimmed some of the fat in the name of a better paced narrative.

i agree 100%. they really needed to edit the whole story a lot better.

by the time i was about to beat the game i just wanted it to be over already. it lessened the impact of the plot for me im sure.

love most of the game but i got really tired of the story by the time i had left Mexico. left me burnt out.

ShinAmano

So I finished it last night and this was my only problem...
the final scene I knew what was coming so I aimed at all three of the government officials and put them all down...yet they lived...not cool...I want now to be able to exact my revenge as his son but the game feels much weaker without John as the lead.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
NIGHT- said:
Buy a console? Plenty of games on either HD console that will never come to PC
Rockstar seems to pretty much always eventually release their games on PC. So we wait.

Dizzle24

ShinAmano said:
So I finished it last night and this was my only problem...
the final scene I knew what was coming so I aimed at all three of the government officials and put them all down...yet they lived...not cool...I want now to be able to exact my revenge as his son but the game feels much weaker without John as the lead.

Go to Blackwater as Jack.

Bizzyb

Banned
legend166 said:

7.5/10.

I agree that much of the settings were wasted. We needed more missions that used unique gameplay mechanics or scenarios that directly involved the setting. Now, granted the map is HUGE with lots of areas that are barren or unpopulated we still could have done more unique missions that involved the waterfalls or rivers or trains or hell even the Army Camp that was NEVER used in any meaningful way.

Also it would have been nice to have more missions that took place in town, like imagine a mission where you got stuck in a burning building and had to escape out the back or by jumping through the window.

Although I do disagree with you about the ending.
I like how they ran with theme they went with and how they pulled it off. Ross wanted to kill the entire gang or at least Take John in. He saw John as a pawn and was going to do him in from the get-go. He was doomed from the start and only went along to spare his family. Our hero, main character, being doomed to death is something we rarely see in videogames. Especially when everyone always has a happy ending to see themselves return in the sequel...and you know what, I liked it

Goldrusher

BobsRevenge said:
Rockstar seems to pretty much always eventually release their games on PC. So we wait.
Only 1 of the 8 previous Rockstar-published Rockstar San Diego games got a PC port.

Not Midnight Club.
Not Smuggler's Run.
Not Smuggler's Run 2.
Not Smuggler's Run Warzones.
Not Red Dead Revolver.
Not Midnight Club 3.
Not Table Tennis.
Not Midnight Club Los Angeles.

Anyway, added the DLC to the OP.

gdt

Can someone give me a hand real quick?

-Where can I find boars? I found one by Thieves Landing (by that creepo's cabin), but I can't seem to find anymore :/. I'm trying to get another rank in...one of those challenges.

-One of the outfit steps says I have to "search Thieves Landing". Search...how?

-Another says I can purchase it at TL, but the tailor is always empty...

Goldrusher

gdt5016 said:
-Where can I find boars? I found one by Thieves Landing (by that creepo's cabin), but I can't seem to find anymore :/. I'm trying to get another rank in...one of those challenges.
Check the map that comes with the game (ie the paper map, not the one in-game).

gdt5016 said:
Upstairs in that big house near the water, where a mission with Irish takes place.

gdt5016 said:
The tailor himself nowhere to be seen ? Try to find him, then talk to him.
Or maybe you have to wait until "new items are available", don't know.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Goldrusher said:
Only 1 of the 8 previous Rockstar-published Rockstar San Diego games got a PC port.

Not Midnight Club.
Not Smuggler's Run.
Not Smuggler's Run 2.
Not Red Dead Revolver.
Not Midnight Club 3.
Not Table Tennis.

Pfft, those are old.

gdt5016 said:
Can someone give me a hand real quick?

1. You can find some a little bit north of the MacFarlane ranch up in some hills. May take a bit but they will show up. Warning though, it's also a spot that can potentially have cougars.

2. Already answered.

3. It should show up after you do some story missions.

Goldrusher said:

Not Midnight Club.
Not Smuggler's Run.
Not Smuggler's Run 2.
Not Red Dead Revolver.
Not Midnight Club 3.
Not Table Tennis.

Well they made the GTA IV engine and it got a PC port.

A not-so-great but OK one.

gdt

Ok, got the boars!

...Now to melee knife two cougars!

Any tips on how to do that? Those fuckers come hard and fast.

GQman2121

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Ok, got the boars!

Head to Rio Bravo during the day and stay on your horse. Use a pistol and shoot the cat two or three times. Jump off your horse and attempt to finish it off with your knife. It helps to run in circles around them if they're looking at you.

Dead Man

BobsRevenge said:
Plus I don't think anyone cared about that game.
I cared about that game. Best arcade racer this gen, better than Burnout.

gdt5016 said:
Ok, got the boars!

Or, you can just circle them on your horse and knife them from horseback. Same place you got the boars, north of the McFarlanes Ranch there should be plenty of them

Equus Bellator Apex

This fucking coop is making pull out my fuck hair.

Who the fuck decides it's a good idea to run into the fucking fort guns blazing without ever trying to get to cover.

Has that ever worked.

Ofcourse the idiot gets killed.

Then another idiot tries to run in and repeat the same thing.

Then Someone revives one of them and what do they do?

They run even futher into the fucking place WITHOUT TAKING ANY COVER until the process starts over again.

FUCKING. USELESS. TWATS.

Every single goddamn time.

bill0527

I bought this when it was released, but had to throw it in the backlog pile.

I finally got around to it last week and just finished it today. I got around 32 hours into it and 85% complete.

Nothing more I can say that hasn't already been said. Its a flawed masterpiece and my GOTY so far.

A couple of things that annoyed me - I have a plasma TV, professionally calibrated so my blacks are very black on the TV. The game was just too dark, especially at night, even with the in-game slider brightness cranked up. I had to turn my TV brightness from 48 to 85 just so that I could see at night.

Speaking of night - I appreciate the sense of realism that the day/night cycle brought to the game, but after a while, I just found it to be annoying more than anything else. Another problem that I had ties into this and that is - the save system for the game. Nothing more frustrating than to have collected several hundred dollars worth of furs and plants, only to get jumped by a grizzly bear or cougar, and have the last 30 minutes worth of work completely shot to hell.

The game apparently wants you to manually save, and save often, and I find this to be a little ridiculous and a huge waste of time. You almost need to make sure you are constantly saving, especially after an important kill of an animal, case in point - the mission where you have to collect a bunch of crap for that guy building the glider in Mexico. I died a couple of times - once after having collected a lot of mats.. only to get jumped by a wild animal or a random bandito shooting up the countryside, and then you just lose every damn thing if you haven't saved recently. The least they could have done is make sure you don't lose everything you collected since your last save, in case you die.

Back to the day/night cycles - I also found it frustrating that some of the main missions only take place at certain times of day/night so then you have to constantly save, save, save, and save, to move the clock ahead. This is a very clunky mechanic and another waste of time (annoyance).

Other than that, I really have nothing else but praise for the game. They nailed the old west setting perfectly. The graphics were jaw-dropping gorgeous at times. And pretty damn good the rest of the time. I didn't find the story to be as bad as some others apparently did.

Now on to multi-player, which I started tonight and played for about 30 minutes. This free roam shit appears to be useless. Just a bunch of douchebags killing you as soon as you spawn. I got to co-op real quickly and ran a couple of successful missions.

I know I'm LTTP on the multi, but if anyone is still actively playing (and you aren't a douchebag), then please add my Live gamertag : Bill0527. I'll probably buy the Legends and Killers pack in the next day or so.

G-Fex

Just got it today after trading in my stuff at gamestop.

Wow from the first while to the save point I knew I was going to love this game. Shooting Coyotes is cool.

Top Bottom