• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If they don't fix the auto-holster thing... then I don't know if I'm going to buy the zombie stuff, even though I think it looks cool. I honestly don't like playing single player now because the game constantly puts my weapon away while I'm fighting!

It's incredibly annoying. I imagine it'll be even worse with undead everywhere.

todahawk

recklessmind said:
If they don't fix the auto-holster thing... then I don't know if I'm going to buy the zombie stuff, even though I think it looks cool. I honestly don't like playing single player now because the game constantly puts my weapon away while I'm fighting!

It's incredibly annoying. I imagine it'll be even worse with undead everywhere.

wait, what?
I don't know if i've ever run into that, did that just start recently with a patch update or something?

Relix said:
I may buy this game soon. I loathed GTA4 and that alone made me wary of Rockstar. Is this game much better or its the same thing but western?
GTA4 is my biggest disappointment of this generation. Red Dead Redemption is my favourite game this generation.

Evolved1

greenjerk said:
wait, what?
I don't know if i've ever run into that, did that just start recently with a patch update or something?

No it's always been there... but only in single player. If you pull out your weapon, the game will auto holster it like 7-8 seconds later unless you actually shoot. It won't happen during a combat mission though. But it happens everywhere else... even when you're wanted and fighting the law. Like in the middle of the fucking gunfight.

John moves faster when a weapon is equipped -- especially when crouched -- but if you don't shoot every couple of seconds the game will holster your weapon automatically and that will slow your movement speed. You can be running from cover to cover and the game will decide to holster your weapon and now your walking from cover to cover. SMH. It's just incredibly cumbersome/frustrating and really hampers my enjoyment of the single player game -- at least as far as free roam shenanigans.

aristotle

As much as I love zombies, I really liked the trailer. I'm ready to bite on getting it since it's SP, I just hope the length is worth the price.

todahawk

recklessmind said:
No it's always been there... but only in single player. If you pull out your weapon, the game will auto holster it like 7-8 seconds later unless you actually shoot. It won't happen during a combat mission though. But it happens everywhere else... even when you're wanted and fighting the law. Like in the middle of the fucking gunfight.

John moves faster when a weapon is equipped -- especially when crouched -- but if you don't shoot every couple of seconds the game will holster your weapon automatically and that will slow your movement speed. You can be running from cover to cover and the game will decide to holster your weapon and now your walking from cover to cover. SMH. It's just incredibly cumbersome/frustrating and really hampers my enjoyment of the single player game -- at least as far as free roam shenanigans.

Gotcha, i know what you're talking about now... i didn't realize that he moved faster with a weapon out.

Dabanton

Mr Sandman said:
So there isn't any co-op? Not even a survival mode?

*scratches off list*

Check out the debut trailer for the Undead Nightmare Pack. Unleashed upon the world of Red Dead Redemption, the Undead Nightmare Pack will feature an entirely new mostly single-player campaign that follows John Marston as he tries to find a cure for the highly infectious zombie plague that has spread across the frontier.

In addition to this epic new single-player adventure, the Undead Nightmare Pack also features brand new gameplay mechanics, weapons, zombie animals, mythical creatures and even a brand new secret location. All this, plus some exciting new multiplayer details and much more to be revealed very soon.

I'd put it back on your list. R* always shows The SP first then shows the MP nearer launch they did the same for the GTA:IV DLC packs.

Hey You

Mr Sandman said:
So there isn't any co-op? Not even a survival mode?

*scratches off list*
There is some multiplayer stuff, but its focused mainly on SP. I don't know much else about whats in it.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
greenjerk said:
Gotcha, i know what you're talking about now... i didn't realize that he moved faster with a weapon out.
He only moves faster in the sense that he autoruns with his weapon out. You would have to hold the run button with it put away.

Not really something that affected me during my playthrough.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I haven't finished the SP campaign yet, so forgive me for asking what is surely to have been answered already, but is the undead stuff SP? A handful of posts appear to suggest as much.

Edit: Shit, sorry, just noticed my question was answered on this very page. Fuck yes! Going to buy the fuck out of this.

Evolved1

DRock said:
He only moves faster in the sense that he autoruns with his weapon out. You would have to hold the run button with it put away.

Not really something that affected me during my playthrough.

Did you spend a lot of time in the world messing around? Because during the story it's not too much of an issue. Really the only times it bothered me during my "playthrough" was when I was trying to make a stealthy approach on a bounty... otherwise it wasn't a huge deal because the game doesn't do it once combat has begun during a mission. It's only when you're doing non-mission stuff that it's very noticeable. imo.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
recklessmind said:
Did you spend a lot of time in the world messing around? Because during the story it's not too much of an issue. Really the only times it bothered me during my "playthrough" was when I was trying to make a stealthy approach on a bounty... otherwise it wasn't a huge deal because the game doesn't do it once combat has begun during a mission. It's only when you're doing non-mission stuff that it's very noticeable. imo.
I'd say I did. I beat the SP in about 42 hrs. Do you use the draw/holster button at all?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
betweenthewheels said:
it's great they're making zombified animals as well, as the cougars were already scary as shit.

The noise makes me so damn uneasy. I hit the bloody roof when they pounce. :lol

I reached West Elizabeth today and moved the camera around to see a bear was chasing me. I shat bricks.

Evolved1

DRock said:
I'd say I did. I beat the SP in about 42 hrs. Do you use the draw/holster button at all?

Yeah... I constantly have to keep pressing it to re-draw my weapon. That's kind of the crux of my complaint. Considering I use hardcore aiming... I don't think I need the game to holster my weapon for me. Probably will never be fixed, since not many other people notice it I guess. Drives me fucking nuts though.

JaseC said:
I reached West Elizabeth today and moved the camera around to see a bear was chasing me. I shat bricks.

those fuckers are stealthy, man! I was going for the bear achievement and just standing in a high bear encounter area. Spun the camera around looking for any in the distance just to find one 1 charging like 1 foot away from me! This happened more than once!

Hey You said:
How long do you guys think this DLC will be? I hope its the equivalent of the Ballad of Gay tony for GTA IV.

Highly doubt this comes anywhere near the 20 hours Gay Tony offered for one playthrough. I would suspect MAYBE 5-7 hours with some replay value added through multiplayer survival stuff.

bill0527

Do you guys think we'll ever get full-blown expansions like GTA IV got?

Maybe a full-blown expansion that's a prequel and tells the story of Landon Ricketts.

Neiteio

RDR is by far and away my GOTY and one of my favorite games of all time, but I feel a bit disheartened: while my playthrough was glitch-free, my younger brother is playing his file and all matter of weirdness is happening -- the most irksome being a cloud shadow that follows John Marston like a magnet so that he's always in the shadow and you can see the ring of sunlight moving as you move out in the distance. Anyone have this, and is there a chance this amazing undead expansion pack will correct it?

EDIT: Hmm, just checked with my brother and he said the cloud shadow glitch only occurs sometimes... That's good, because RDR's Wild West is the most immersive world since Rapture and far too beautiful to be overshadowed (pun intended).

Dead

well not really...yet
Have the MP DLC packs been selling well?

Im considering buying the Liars and Cheats pack, but im hesitant to do so if it hasn't sold well, since there would be very few people who can play the new stuff

100% single player completion :)

I really liked the overall depressive tone of the game. Aside from the main story, the stranger quests also often ended unexpected / in a bad way.
However, I think the game could need some kind of cutscene that should show
how all the people who met John reacted to his death and/or some more story missions for Jake in which in visits e.g. Bonny.

funniest random moment for me:

I was up in the snowy area and a guy appeared screaming for help as he was chased by two cougars. He fled up a hill and I killed the cougars.
He stopped and turned around to thank me. Suddenly a grizzly ran up the other side of the hill out of nowhere and jumped the poor guy, killing him with one hard blow that made him fly :O (I got the reward though :lol )

(btw. I had much more problems with the bears than the cougars as they often appeared in packs Oo )

oh and I never played RD Revolver and did basically know nothing about RD Redemption and I thought the whole time the backstory of John happened during Revolver, but they are not even connected at all, right? I say this because the game really felt like I should have played the nonexistent prequel :lol

Finally finished it with 98.5% completion. Don't know if I have the stamina to seek the 100% finish right now.

I've seen a few people complaining that the game is too short. I seriously reckon these people are nuts. If you attempt to do all the side missions aswell as challenges, etc, then this game is epic!

Up there with Deus Ex as one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences ever. Can't wait for a sequel, prequel or whatever.

Oh and best cutscene acting and dialog I've ever seen in a game.

The division of Rockstar that made this are some of the most talented devs on the planet. They should be given the Gta franchise and make it better. Grittier. Less about low brow jokes (but then again I guess that's what gta has always been about).

nib95

Banned
Just bought this from PLAY for £27 inc the DLC content saved for pre-orders. Can't wait, been dying to play it for a while but just been too busy to get around to it!

Dabanton

Dead said:

Im considering buying the Liars and Cheats pack, but im hesitant to do so if it hasn't sold well, since there would be very few people who can play the new stuff

I brought it yesterday and it's always pretty busy. Stronghold which is the main new mode always has a full amount of players as does horse racing.

TheFallen

Dead said:

Multiplayer Stronghold and Liar's Dice rooms are always pretty packed. I wouldn't worry about it. Buy it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dabanton said:
I brought it yesterday and it's always pretty busy. Stronghold which is the main new mode always has a full amount of players as does horse racing.

TheFallen said:
Multiplayer Stronghold and Liar's Dice rooms are always pretty packed. I wouldn't worry about it. Buy it.

Yep, I bought it this evening, and its full of people playing it. I spent a ton of time playing Liars Dice, and Stronghold is fun as hell, like im surprised that wasn't the higlight MP mode right out of the box, rather than being kept as dlc

Danielsan

Picked the game back up last week after a long hiatus. Got to Blackwater before that and I kinda got bored. Glad to see the game picking up near the end. Absolutely loathed the Mexico section and all the ridiculous missions that send you doing shitty choirs all over the place. Loved it when you finally
get back to your ranch, son and wife.
Excellent ending as well.
94.8% complete. Might fill it out to 100% some other time.

Certainly a flawed master piece. Leaps and bounds ahead of the shit fest that is GTAIV, that's for sure.

Dabanton

Been getting back into the MP and i really love what R* have done with it. Getting a huge posse together and taking on wave after wave of outlaws is exhilarating. I've also been doing my Master Hunter achievements and just had to go and find a Jaguar in Tall Trees but before he would show i had to take on 14 Cougars.

Finally killed him but then i got stuck in a cabin with 5 cougars circling outside and my Horse ran off luckily i managed to defeat them with my throwing knifes call my horse and get the hell out of there.

This game is such an achievement! It is truly one of the best I've played in 10 years, and that's no bullshit. The graphics are amazing, and the gun play is a treat every time. I find myself actually trying not to shoot people unless they shoot at me, because I don't want to waste such a good mechanic on something for no reason. RDR's gun play is my favorite thus far --this and last generation.

And for a Rockstar game, I'm surprised that the story is as good as it is. I've never been a huge fan of the GTAs (not a fan of suburban settings, and the most-of-the-time boring/useless missions), but they got it right with this one! Rockstar San Diego is the superior team in my eyes, and I hope they can keep up the quality, because I will definitely continue on with this series.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I'm
on the farm with the wife and son
so I'm close to beating it. I hear the multiplayer is just as good, but I don't have XBL gold anymore. Is the multiplayer worth it to upgrade my silver account?

Hmm... I'm missing ONE location down in Mexico.

I've compared my game map with maps on the internet and if my map lists only locations I've been to then I've seen it all!

*cries*

blindrocket said:
Hmm... I'm missing ONE location down in Mexico.

I've compared my game map with maps on the internet and if my map lists only locations I've been to then I've seen it all!

*cries*

I'm pretty sure you can just buy the maps at general stores. But you have to make sure that you select the map in your select screen or else it won't work.

Ben Pierce said:
This game is such an achievement!

I couldn’t agree more! It is easily the most impressive game in a very long time.

The amount of polish is just insane! It’s currently my game of the generation. :D

A game hasn’t impressed me this much since Resident Evil 4. It’s soooooo good!

Bizzyb

Banned
Is there a game with a more beautiful opening shot??

I was just replaying RDR a bit and the very 1st shot it opens with, i.e. the Steamboat on the River waters was just so beautifully done. I think it comes down to how amazing the water looks. Either way I think this game has one of the best openings ever.

Top Bottom