• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Bizzyb said:
Is there a game with a more beautiful opening shot??

I was just replaying RDR a bit and the very 1st shot it opens with, i.e. the Steamboat on the River waters was just so beautifully done. I think it comes down to how amazing the water looks. Either way I think this game has one of the best openings ever.

Only sucks that we don't know why they were on that steamboat in the first place :p

Dead

well not really...yet
Ok. So Undead Nightmate actually takes place outside of the main game and will be accessible from the main menu. There will be new weapons and outfits as well. :D

edit: The free Savvy Merchant and Expert Hunter outfit pack wil be out on the 12th as well!

I started playing Red Dead Redemption last week. Thanks to vacation and a serious cold, I've put major time into it and have nearly finished.

RDR is the first open world game I've truly loved. Beautiful world I want to explore (we also don't see it in many games), great tweaks to the GTA gameplay (thanks, Dead Eye) and terrific characters.

John Marston is a man I enjoying playing as. I want to see how his story unfolds because, despite all the dishonorable things he may have done in his past, he's an honorable man. He's likable in a way (for me) GTA characters are not. I did not enjoy playing as Niko in GTA 4... he complains about finding a better life but has no problem mowing down hundreds of (not always guilty) people. He's a bad guy working for bad people and doing bad things.

Marston is the total opposite (at least the way I've played). It's amazing how much a difference a well-developed and likable character can make.

Bravo to Rockstar. I'm a few missions past
John's return home to Abigail and Jack
and know the end of the game is near. I'll be sad when it is.

Dead Man

Stumbled across this and thought of RDR:

aVlQd.jpg

Deware80

Banned
hmmm can't wait for the new dlc, looks like Rockstar took a page out of Treyarch's book on the multiplayer side with battling hordes of zombies, this will be a perfect tie over until Black Ops releases with Nazi Zombies 2.0, can't wait!:D

Dabanton

FunnyBunny said:
I started playing Red Dead Redemption last week. Thanks to vacation and a serious cold, I've put major time into it and have nearly finished.

RDR is the first open world game I've truly loved. Beautiful world I want to explore (we also don't see it in many games), great tweaks to the GTA gameplay (thanks, Dead Eye) and terrific characters.

John Marston is a man I enjoying playing as. I want to see how his story unfolds because, despite all the dishonorable things he may have done in his past, he's an honorable man. He's likable in a way (for me) GTA characters are not. I did not enjoy playing as Niko in GTA 4... he complains about finding a better life but has no problem mowing down hundreds of (not always guilty) people. He's a bad guy working for bad people and doing bad things.

Marston is the total opposite (at least the way I've played). It's amazing how much a difference a well-developed and likable character can make.

Bravo to Rockstar. I'm a few missions past
John's return home to Abigail and Jack
and know the end of the game is near. I'll be sad when it is.

Agree. It seems R* learned that they can do 'bad' characters that are still have some humanity left hopefully they have carried this over to GTA5...

abundant said:
- DLC is about 6 hours long
- 4 types of zombies
- New weapons: a torch, holy water, and a blunderbuss which uses zombie parts as ammo
- Native American Mythological creatures are in the game

And after all these years, we'll finally have Bigfoot! :lol

Undead Nightmare looks really, really good. First DLC I'm actually considering so far. Would've came back for the Liars and Cheats pack, but I didn't want to pay $10 for it...

...until Microsoft gives me the bonus 800 points for spending 2400 in Oct which I've already done.:D

Deware80

Banned
God damn it is anyone else having connection issues in multiplayer? I keep getting thrown into free roam and then another free roam due to connection issues with other players, but then I can play the co-op dlc with no problems. WTF, any fixes? I'm on ps3

Deware80 said:
God damn it is anyone else having connection issues in multiplayer? I keep getting thrown into free roam and then another free roam due to connection issues with other players, but then I can play the co-op dlc with no problems. WTF, any fixes? I'm on ps3

I don't know if this will help but I used to have problems like this. It turned out I was using NAT type 3, fixed it by changing connection to NAT type 2.

Deware80

Banned
Alien Manobo said:
I don't know if this will help but I used to have problems like this. It turned out I was using NAT type 3, fixed it by changing connection to NAT type 2.

Hmmm thanks for your help, but it turns out I already have NAT type 2 based off the network tests. Anyone else have any other solutions? I want to play online but I can't because of my connection to other players. Wanted to play stronghold damn it.

Branson

And here I thought that zombies were getting old, and they go and put them in Red Dead. -_- Here Rockstar, take my $10 already.

sethcheek

I only recently got the 100% achievement, then I downloaded the Legends & Killers DLC. Now when I go into my Single Player journal, ALL my journal entries, the marksman/survivalist/etc ones, the Stranger ones, are GONE, except for the Tomahawk ones. In fact, where the Stranger ones should be is the explanation of WHAT the stranger missions are, as though I just started the game.

They're all completed so I guess it doesn't really matter, but did this happen to anyone else?

DonMigs85

Dabanton said:
Holy shit:lol

I surprised that your horse doesn't have defensive manoeuvres for when animals like Cougars and Bobcats attack.
Good idea. They could've assigned a button to make them kick out or something.

DireStr8s

sethcheek said:
I only recently got the 100% achievement, then I downloaded the Legends & Killers DLC. Now when I go into my Single Player journal, ALL my journal entries, the marksman/survivalist/etc ones, the Stranger ones, are GONE, except for the Tomahawk ones. In fact, where the Stranger ones should be is the explanation of WHAT the stranger missions are, as though I just started the game.

They're all completed so I guess it doesn't really matter, but did this happen to anyone else?

that's just the games way of telling you that you have nothing to do. the tomahawk challenges will disappear upon completion as well.

KingDizzi

Banned
Got this game today and I'm having problems playing it on my launch PS3. I put in the disc, says I need patch 1.04 and then I press x, I just see a blank screen followed by my PS3 resetting. I have tried no less than 5 times now and have no fucking idea what I'm doing wrong, for reference I also got PoP today and its 1.01 patch installed no problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dabanton said:
Agree. It seems R* learned that they can do 'bad' characters that are still have some humanity left hopefully they have carried this over to GTA5...

Exactly what I think. John Marsten is the best character R* has ever had, and I think he's my favorite of all time (or really close to it)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
MrTroubleMaker said:
The Hunting and Trading Outfits pack is up.

It's free

Not exactly... you have to complete missions to unlock the outfits in the game. Some are a bitch! :lol

Ben Pierce said:
Exactly what I think. John Marsten is the best character R* has ever had, and I think he's my favorite of all time (or really close to it)

I wish I could play with John after completing the game...

recklessmind said:
Not exactly... you have to complete missions to unlock the outfits in the game. Some are a bitch! :lol

I wish I could play with John after completing the game...

:( me, too. I had a feeling he would die in the game...that's how the cowboys go out. I'm playing as Jack now (haven't beaten the game completely), and it's just not the same. I wonder how they're going to do the next Red Dead...

TeTr1C

Great trailer. This must come out in October!!

Is this a single player conversion only or does this all carry over into a separate mutliplayer? Just imagine defending that mansion in Tumbleweed from zombies with your friends! :D

Deware80

Banned
TeTr1C said:
Great trailer. This must come out in October!!

Is this a single player conversion only or does this all carry over into a separate mutliplayer? Just imagine defending that mansion in Tumbleweed from zombies with your friends! :D

From whats been said in a few previews, the multiplayer is basically like nazi zombies. You and a group of others try to survive wave after wave of zombies. Should be great.

Spoilerish question about undead nightmare DLC:

Will you automatically be John Marston even if you've already beaten the full game? Because I'd much rather be John than Jack for it.

Gribbix

rasberryjam said:
Spoilerish question about undead nightmare DLC:

Will you automatically be John Marston even if you've already beaten the full game? Because I'd much rather be John than Jack for it.
Yes

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...d_&_answered_undead_nightmare_edition.article
Rockstar Games said:
The Undead Nightmare story takes place during the “home” period of the main game, while John is trying to rebuild his ranch but before the end of the game, a period that we imagined took several months. You play Undead Nightmare as John, and it is an entirely stand alone game that runs separately from Red Dead Redemption’s main story.

Dead

well not really...yet
Happy they finally released the other 2 pre-order otufits, free no less!

The one that was actually chosen was so much worse than these two :lol

Top Bottom