• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

undead_outfits005.jpg

reminder

From the press release:

Also coming soon, Undead Nightmare, a single, stand-alone disc that bundles together for the first time ever, the Undead Nightmare Pack,the Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack, the Legends and Killers Pack, the Liars and Cheats Pack and all the Multiplayer Free Roam modes released to date. Undead Nightmare will be available at retail stores everywhere for $29.99/£24.99/EUR 29.99and does not require a copy of Red Dead Redemption to play.

Dead

well not really...yet
Would them releasing a disc pretty much be the sign that this will be the final DLC pack?

Honestly I would love for there to be even more, I can never get enough of this game

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sounds like we get to choose which version of the game we're going to play when we load the game, GTAIV-style, imo. Doesn't sound like it's being baked into the original single player game at all.

StarEye said:
Sounds like we get to choose which version of the game we're going to play when we load the game, GTAIV-style, imo. Doesn't sound like it's being baked into the original single player game at all.
The way the story contradicts the original, I can only see this as a good thing. But man, I'm looking forward to that DLC pack: Red Dead Redemption and a virulent Zombie horde are like a match made in heaven.

Gribbix

The potential downside of the disk-based version is that the new weapons that were added in the DLC could also be used in singleplayer mode. Since it's a self-contained, standalone disk, I don't see how those weapons would carry over to the original game.

Spent ~3 hours today tracking down the Jackalope, and trying to blow up a Cougar with Dynamite for my Expert Hunter outfit. After the Cougar nonsense which only took about 15 minutes, the rest was my most relaxing, laid back RDR session ever. 2 1/2 hours of no quick saves, no fast travel (not that I ever do), and just watching this world unfold in front of me while I look for the Jackalope. Still the best Day/Night cycle I've ever seen, and the wildlife system in this game is insanely detailed.

Finally been playing this. It really is an amazing game.

Two questions: one's a dumb question and the other is for an item.

1. Where and when do I get the lasso?

2. Dumb question but just wondering, when do weather effects show up in this game? I know there's lightning, snow, rain, thunderstorm etc., but I can't wait to I see them.

Thanks.

Gravijah

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Finally been playing this. It really is an amazing game.

Two questions: one's a dumb question and the other is for an item.

2. Dumb question but just wondering, when do weather effects show up in this game? I know there's lightning, snow, rain, thunderstorm etc., but I can't wait to I see them.

Thanks.

1) Story mission not too far in.

2) They are random, but one of the early story missions has a big storm.

Hey You

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
You get it from one of the first Bonnie Missions

Thanks.
I believe they appear throughout the game. And the snow appears in the top right corner of the map, higher up in Tall Trees. (Unlocked later in the game)

God the player vs player is so bad, yet I can't stop playing it.

It's just disappointing that it wasn't handled better. For pvp they should have made the cover more consistent, size and form wise. Also, less shit to get stuck on. The net code is terrible, too. Half the time my shots don't register, then 3 seconds later the guy will die. Or I'll miss by a mile and kill someone. :lol The controls are too sluggish and the enemies take too many hits + lag making shooting from cover more dangerous than just dashing left and right. I guess this only applies to hardcore, as core it does the aiming for you so in your mind you're not thinking "die already" after every shot. Dead eye is inconsistent as fuck, also. And the starting weapons can put you at a huge disadvantage.

Despite all the problems and frustrations, it's still a ton of fun and it's pretty addicting.

Smash88 said:
Please god let this game be released for the PC by Christmas.

This would get rid of the sluggish controls (which are totally fine for the sp portion) in pvp, and possibly cure some of the hit detection (they'd probably still use p2p, but I found GTAIV PC much less laggy).

Mr Sandman said:
God the player vs player is so bad, yet I can't stop playing it.

It's just disappointing that it wasn't handled better. For pvp they should have made the cover more consistent, size and form wise. Also, less shit to get stuck on. The net code is terrible, too. Half the time my shots don't register, then 3 seconds later the guy will die. Or I'll miss by a mile and kill someone. :lol The controls are too sluggish and the enemies take too many hits + lag making shooting from cover more dangerous than just dashing left and right. I guess this only applies to hardcore, as core it does the aiming for you so in your mind you're not thinking "die already" after every shot. Dead eye is inconsistent as fuck, also. And the starting weapons can put you at a huge disadvantage.

Despite all the problems and frustrations, it's still a ton of fun and it's pretty addicting.

If it controlled like Uncharted 2, it would be AMAZING. As it is now, I find myself enjoying singleplayer and multiplayer free roam WAAAAAY more than PvP. Same thing with GTAIV.

playing through the story again I noticed something with animals. When you are on your horse or your horse is near it will get spooked when an animal is coming to attack. Just a little awesome detail.

Fifty hours in and still holding off the end-game missions I think. I'm just now arriving at
Blackwater

I had no idea there were legendary creatures. They must now be mine. I have a feeling it will take forever but fuck it. Game is perfect. Makes fetch quests feel natural because there's so much to do on the way to and from.

Jhoan

DancingJesus said:
Is there a kind soul who will help me get:

2 guys, 1 Coop - 10
Complete a Co-Op mission with just 2 people.

I'd really really appreciate it..

I'd be willing to do it if you got the 360 version and as long as you have the Carcano Rifle unlocked because I don't have it yet as I recently passed on into Legend (I'm level 10 I believe) because it's gonna be the key to getting that achievement.

owlbeak

Undead Overrun is AWESOME, pure and simple. I wish it had a no time limit mode though, but I understand why they put it in there.

I played it tonight with a friend for the first time instead of randoms and the fun increased by a thousand.

Jipan said:
I'd be willing to do it if you got the 360 version and as long as you have the Carcano Rifle unlocked because I don't have it yet as I recently passed on into Legend (I'm level 10 I believe) because it's gonna be the key to getting that achievement.

Yeah I have the 360 version, I can't exactly remember if I have the Carcano Rifle, it's been a while since I've played. But I'm rank 17.

Jhoan

And just like that, it's done. It was extremely easy to do. Good game DancingJesus. That was pretty fun. Thankfully, a random taught me how to beat every co-op stage using the sniper rifle.

Just finished the main game last night.

Exceptional. The world / environment is incredible.

Bought and queued up Undead Nightmare to play later on. Looks great.

Okay, I just want a small hint. Smallish as possible. Is there any mention in-game of how to find legendary creatures, or is it simple random spawns based on locations of their kind? Then again, I don't even know how to classify a fucking
Jackelope

afternoon delight said:
Okay, I just want a small hint. Smallish as possible. Is there any mention in-game of how to find legendary creatures, or is it simple random spawns based on locations of their kind? Then again, I don't even know how to classify a fucking
Jackelope

A jackrabbit with antelope horns. Thought to become myth after observations of rabbits with a disease that causes horn like carcinomas on it's body. Thanks wikipedia.

Put 13h in 3 days now, that's how good the game is. Just finished
revolution in Mexico
. The following blew my mind:

Had to capture Escuella, who was running away on a horse. Figured I can do it like in the movies - I shot the horse, he fell down, lasso'ed him and dragged back to El Presidio.

Wonderful game.

EDIT: Is there any benefit in doing Social Club Multiplayer Challenges? All the give are Cheats.

Thank you on the description! This game is FANTASTIC! :lol

I was following a herd of deer and bucks up the tallest mountain range I could find near the river and it's awesome. I'm admiring the skybox, making my way up as the thirteen-fifteen of them are backing into a corner at the cliff side, flitting around. I'm skinning the fallen, taking my time, when all of a sudden I see the 'lope! :lol Unexpected, wonderful, and one frantic pistol shot later, and I've got the Master Huntsman outfit. I've nicknamed the hat he wears as Marston's owl hat. :lol It's the best way I can describe it.

Man this game sure is buggy for having been patched five times:/

It happened to me twice already that the cutscene introducing a mission just wasn't there, leaving me in the middle of the action without knowing what the hell had happened before.

I'm getting close to getting 100%, so I have a question about the multiplayer:

1. How hard is it to get Multiplayer Trophies?

2. How much time do I expect to spend running around in Multiplayer?

3. Any good guide to MP out there?

Rather LTTP on this, enjoying it A LOT (PS3). I don't want to go through the entire thread for fear of spoilers, so I have a couple of questions:

1. I thought the game was going to have some sort of intro showing how Marston got into the situation he finds himself at the beginning of the game (I read the manual before playing and they explain it, but the first cutscene was Marston arriving on the ferry and then riding on the train but nothing of how they found him or whatever). Is this normal? I seem to remember a trailer that showed a bit of backstory and I was thinking that was going to be intro to the game. Maybe I skipped a cutscene and didn't realize?

2. Does the game support custom soundtracks? I am loving the music so far but wouldn't mind if I could also listen to a bit of Johnny Cash from time to time (yeah, I know that would be an anachronism, shoot me :p).

I played today until about 3AM and just crossed
the river to Mexico with Irish
. Awesome game.

1. I thought the game was going to have some sort of intro showing how Marston got into the situation he finds himself at the beginning of the game (I read the manual before playing and they explain it, but the first cutscene was Marston arriving on the ferry and then riding on the train but nothing of how they found him or whatever). Is this normal? I seem to remember a trailer that showed a bit of backstory and I was thinking that was going to be intro to the game. Maybe I skipped a cutscene and didn't realize?
Gradually told through dialog in missions throughout the game.

JoeBoy101

Funky. As you progress, you get more of his story, especially when you start getting closer to your old gang members and to federal agents.

JoeBoy101 said:
Funky. As you progress, you get more of his story, especially when you start getting closer to your old gang members and to federal agents.
afternoon delight said:
Gradually told through dialog in missions throughout the game.
Oh, alright, thank you guys. I've noticed Marston telling bits and pieces, but since the manual stated it so openly, I was pretty sure I the first cutscene was going to be basically the telling of that story. Cool beans.

As an aside, this games makes me want a remake of MGS3: Snake Eater for next-gen (not current gen) consoles.

Top Bottom