• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

BigBoss

Jimmy Stav said:
How can I get another Bollard Twin bounty, or am I fucked? I did a bunch before I even got the lasso.

Keep on doing the bounties from McFarland Ranch, eventually you'll get a Bollard twin.

still cant fucking find death horse after spending over 4 hours or just riding around.. -_- got all horses but that one (had death on ending but didnt get horse #3 yet)

really annoying.

mf.luder

Just finished the main story this morning. Very good. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I didn't think this game would appeal to me this much because I can't stand GTA for longer than a few missions.

I am going to the store to buy some MS points and purchase the DLC.

Rikyfree

Hmmm I have a problem in my game. I can't get the california mission to come up. And I'm already in Mexico. I've beat the game once already and it came up for me then, but not now. Anyone know of having this issue?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Worst achievement ever. Managed to get In a Hail of Bullets (500 kills with revolver/pistol) at the spoiler event at the very end. A scene that was supposed to be dramatic was turned into, more or less, a joke. :p

And with that I've finished this game. Started some online adventuring and found it to be very fun. I'm split about the game. While I think it's good and more games should try to be like it--it feels like they made several games and just glued them together. There's the action-adventure plot of the game that they're trying to sell as a GTA-in-the-west. There's a roleplaying adventure with some great choices and it could have been awesome if they've just focused on that aspect. And there's an MMO with lots of stuff to do. The only thing that holds them together is the game world. Disjointed.

And while the overall plot is good it's padded so much it's intolerable. The writing is at times so bad you'd ask yourself if it was made up as they went along. It would have made a awesome 6-8 hour game. It's too long for the dramatic punchline. And the punchline is possibly the most intresting thing they didn't do anything with. Voice acting is all over the place, which is rare in a Rockstar game.

A good game with some great potential.

So is there general consensus on which version to buy? I prefer my PS3 controller, but am open to the 360 version if there's a MAJOR technical snafu in the PS3 release.

The only notable difference is that the 360 version if now available as a Games On Demand title. It costs too much ($59.99), but if you prefer digital distribution, it might be worth it to you. Other than that, they're very similar.

Sharkington said:
The only notable difference is that the 360 version if now available as a Games On Demand title. It costs too much ($59.99), but if you prefer digital distribution, it might be worth it to you. Other than that, they're very similar.
Actually the 360 graphics are a little better. This has been well documented.

I don't consider that to be a notable difference. Both versions look amazing, and the differences only matter to people that like looking at comparison screens.

Sharkington said:
I don't consider that to be a notable difference. Both versions look amazing, and the differences only matter to people that like looking at comparison screens.
I agree, not a huge difference. I would definitely go by your controller preference and whether you want to play online with friends.

I finished the game this morning and I was thinking, it is still worth grabbing all multiplayer DLC (Cheats and Liars and Legends and Killers)? I played some online matches on the PS3 and I could see that few people still play it.

DonMigs85

sanji_blue said:
I finished the game this morning and I was thinking, it is still worth grabbing all multiplayer DLC (Cheats and Liars and Legends and Killers)? I played some online matches on the PS3 and I could see that few people still play it.
You can probably skip them if you don't care much about trophies (although the tomahawk is cool in single player).
I recommend Undead Nightmare most of all though.

I was finally able to find a copy of the soundtrack on vinyl for $15.95 (only a dollar more than the Rockstar Warehouse site)! :D

The site has been sold out for a while and the ones I saw on eBay are twice the original price. I love the soundtrack and love collecting vinyls. Plus, this two LP set is on red vinyls!

Hey You said:
I wonder whats next for RDR. I hope R* isn't done with DLC. A DLC on the scale of The Ballad of Gay tony would be heavily.

Undead Nightmare was the scale of The Ballad of Gay Tony, right?

But I agree, more DLC would be nice. Maybe something that progresses the world time wise i.e. seeing more development in surrounding cities, maybe even play different character stories.

Konosuke

Gary Whitta[B said:
It's always worth sitting at camp with random strangers, you never know what interesting stories you might hear. Some Mexican dude was just telling me about a prostitute he'd seen who could "shoot water out of her concha with the force of a hose." :lol
I just got the game and that is the absolute truth. The following happened to me in the 1st hour. Sit for a tale with me GAF.

After Marston finshed his first nightwatch, he and his horse, a mighty brown horse went to admire the wilderness at night.
A valley was ahead of them, and feeling adventurous the two went ahead. But suddenly, out of nowhere a wild Boar appeared!

Marston, as confident as he is, picked up his rifle and shot the Boar twice in it's chest. But the animal did not died. It's was now filled with anger, rage even.
Admired by the fierce animal, Marston couldn't decide whether or not to use his trusty Dead Eye. So he shot the Boar some more, landing each shot in it's chest, but to no avail...the Boar was still alive and started to circle Marston and his sturdy horse.

Little did he know that the Boar was attacking his partner, the brown horse. Marston and his horse were knocked to the ground. A couple of more rifle shots had finally slain the hellish Boar.
But as Marston looked behind he noticed his horse wasn't up. Then he realized the horse was killed by the effin Boar.

After skinning the Boar, Marston wanted to have a memento of his fallen horse. Their time together was short, and he hadn't named his horse. So he skinned his horse as well and as he pierced it's carcass he said:

"Man, you're stinky!"

After a few moments wandering the area of this sad event, more Boars appeared. Now with more experience, Marston used his Dead Eye and swiftly headshotted each Boar that dared to appear.

As he was finishing skinning the last Boars he heard shouts ahead. Maybe it was a scared person after hearing some many shots. But he went to check anyways.
He gasped as he saw a dead Boar and by it's side a silver horse, also dead.

"What madness is this??", he thought.

Marston, now filled with curiosity went to look for the owner of the silver horse, and after a while a short, bald man with a hammer on it's side approached the horse.
The man stood there for a while, and as the Sun was rising the man started to walk to the horizon, with Marston by it's side.

After walking for a few minutes, the man stopped. He had found something. Marston went to check it as well. A dead man was there. Marston looked at the bald man and saw him sad, having a reaction of disbelief. The man did not talk, but Marston understood who was the dead man. The Boars are a force to be reckoned with. Marston and his bald friend now knew this.
The two left the scene, after Marston carefully looted the dead man. With the Sun now standing high, they arrived at MacFarlane's Ranch.
The bald friend departed ways with Marston, as he went to mourn in his own way. He grabbed his hammer and started to fix the hen, and after that a barrel.

"Life continues", Marston thought to himself as he headed towards Bonnie's house.

Who knows what awaits Marston in the future. All we know is the West is wild and dangerous, and filled with Boars. The hunt now begins.

AzBat

How many Game of the Year awards has Red Dead garnered so far? There's Spike's VGA, Gamespot's GOTY and GamesRadar Platinum Chalice Awards. Anymore?

Dizzle24

I might just try MP again this weekend since it's Double XP until January 3rd. Almost Rank 50! thanks to the glitch a few months back :lol

Tried to go back to GTAIV Free Roam the other day, and I just can't do it. The improvement to controls in Red Dead Redemption, and even the more subtle improvements they put in Undead Nightmare just kill GTAIV because they're similar enough for you to notice just how bad they are in GTAIV.

The animations, the weapon controls, the shooting, taking cover, walking, and general responsiveness are SO SO SO much better in Red Dead Redemption. The weapon controls especially when dealing with the D-Pad vs. Weapon Wheel is such a HUGE step back in terms of speed, and ease of use. If the next GTA, IN ANY WAY, goes back to what GTAIV did instead of improving on Red Dead Redemption's system, it'll be a huge problem.

Drewsky

Net_Wrecker said:
The animations, the weapon controls, the shooting, taking cover, walking, and general responsiveness are SO SO SO much better in Red Dead Redemption. The weapon controls especially when dealing with the D-Pad vs. Weapon Wheel is such a HUGE step back in terms of speed, and ease of use. If the next GTA, IN ANY WAY, goes back to what GTAIV did instead of improving on Red Dead Redemption's system, it'll be a huge problem.
I forgot you could take cover in Red Dead. :lol

Drewsky said:
I forgot you could take cover in Red Dead. :lol

You didn't use it in normal singleplayer? I haven't done it at ALL in Undead Nightmare, but I used it a lot in vanilla singleplayer because many of the "big shootout" missions strategically placed you either in cover, or very close to cover after a cutscene, especially in Mexico.

None of these Rockstar games control or animate as well as Uncharted 2 though, and that's what they should be striving for. Sure Euphoria is great for body physics and stuff, but for normal movement across terrain, Uncharted 2 is king in 3rd person action/adventure territory.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Revisited this after a long absence due to all the game of the year stuff, also needed to clear some HD space and I knew I was near the end of this. Turns out I had one final mission of the main campaign before the lengthy epilogue :lol

all in all I dont think its game of the year for me. very fun and first Rockstar game I've enjoyed for what it is since GTA III, its a well made game in a well realised world. Leaps and bounds better than GTA IV (which I always hold up as the standout example of awful game design hidden behind aesthetics and pomp).

But a few things just irritated me after awhile. Collecting things is a major pain in the ass. The bloody skinning animation, tracking down animals was painful. I just spent like 2 or 3 hours tracking down 5 fucking beavers, made all the more frustrating by swarms of wolves coming at me all the time. I even got myself in an area where bears were coming at me non stop. Between each bear I would have time to get off my horse, skin them and get back on the horse and another bear would already be on me. I killed 20 bears in this little area alone (got my achievement woo! 5G boo! ) but all I bloody wanted was bloody beavers!!

I tried baits and instead I got cougars, wolves, boars and bears. I tried like 5 different hotspots and tracked an entire river. In the end I randomly stumbled on one beaver and kept going back to that same spot and getting it when it respawned.

All that effort for one bullet point in one of 15 missions needed to earn one achievement. I wouldve been tempted to go for all single player achievements before tonight but I think that one just finished me.

me and RDR are done and dusted I think. Was a fun ride but our time is up and the final taste isnt particularly a nice one and the ending and ultimately the story made no lasting impression on me.

Got this game as a Christmas present, and I'm enjoying the everloving shit out of it. Closing onto the 20 hour mark, currently in Mexico. I haven't bothered doing the collectathons, only the small sidequests that seemed interesting and of course the main quest, which is pretty good and in line with usual western fare.

A couple annoyances I've encountered are how outlaws keep respawning on your way back with a live prisoner to collect the bounty, and the dismal voice acting of practically all characters found in Mexico. Those are minor, though, and do not shit too much my enjoyment of the game, which is shaping up to be my high point of this year.

cresto

Question: I got both red dead redemption and the undead nightmare standalone disc for the 360 for xmas. I want to be able to access the undead nightmare and expansion packs through the RDR disc, does anyone know how to do this or if it is even possible? I'd hate to have to swap out discs to enjoy the dlc :/

Drewsky

Net_Wrecker said:
You didn't use it in normal singleplayer? I haven't done it at ALL in Undead Nightmare, but I used it a lot in vanilla singleplayer because many of the "big shootout" missions strategically placed you either in cover, or very close to cover after a cutscene, especially in Mexico.
You're right, they did kind of force the issue in Mexico. But near the end of the game and especially in Undead Nightmare I never take cover.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ugh, I just got the ending spoiled while looking around for images of costumes. I've pretty much lost all desire to play the game - this sucks.

I was late to the party as well.

I felt enraged for what happens to the main character at the end of the game.
R* really did a great job with how the story plays out.

Waaaay above GTA IV and the DLC's. Although, I loved johny's character and the DLC, John Marston epic story in New Austin was a blast.

I managed to do banks robberies, but how do you attack trains? Every time I jump on a train, I go for the passengers, draw out the gun, they start screaming and the train just stop after that.?

Just got this as an xmas gift and I really love it so far. I mean, I'd heard it was good, read it was good, but the greatness doesn't come across until you actually play it. The detail in this game is nuts. Only my second day of playing it and encountered my first rain storm as I was taking out one of my bounties, just amazingly cool. Then headed back to town to claim the reward and had a duel in the rain, awesome! And then decided to take in a movie....was the elixir cartoon. I still can't believe the attention to detail, I love little things like that. Not sure why I didn't buy this as soon as it was released...anyway, will be putting many hours in on this one.

Oni Jazar

kaizoku said:
But a few things just irritated me after awhile. Collecting things is a major pain in the ass. The bloody skinning animation, tracking down animals was painful. I just spent like 2 or 3 hours tracking down 5 fucking beavers, made all the more frustrating by swarms of wolves coming at me all the time. I even got myself in an area where bears were coming at me non stop. Between each bear I would have time to get off my horse, skin them and get back on the horse and another bear would already be on me. I killed 20 bears in this little area alone (got my achievement woo! 5G boo! ) but all I bloody wanted was bloody beavers!!

The beavers were one of the easiest challenges. You just head towards the river not far from your ranch.

yeah more long singleplayer DLC would be awesome, why does rockstar not want my money?

Gay Tony & Lost'n'Damned were good stuff and i think they could do a lot more of those in Red Dead's world. Just give us different characters and situations to deal with, the world works fine as it is! ;D

One campaign as Bonnie's father, another one as a bandit with some great bank robbery scenes. A proper last mohican indian campaign. A mexican soldier having morality issues and no real war to fight(afghanistan refitted!)... So much material to work with!

Lime

Since this is just some Swiss store putting up a PC version of Red Dead Redemption I don't think this qualifies as thread-worthy, but nevertheless a PC version of RDR is certainly rumoured. The cover is the same as the Swiss cover of the 360 version of RDR (without the 360 banner).

Via Google translate
Red Dead Redemption

PC (WIN XP/Vista/7) PC (WIN XP/Vista/7)

Genre: Actionspiel Genre: Action

Entwickler: Rockstar San Diego Developer: Rockstar San Diego

Publisher: Take 2 Publisher: Take 2

Preis: SFr. Price: SFr. 75.00 75.00

Release: 2011 Shipping: 2011

pc_reddeadredemption.jpg

http://www.wog.ch/index.cfm/details/product/22711-Red-Dead-Redemption

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Probably has been said before, but I think the addition of managing a farm would actually make the economic system worth it.

Jafku

New Update 1.06:

* Red Dead Redemption:
The game no longer reboots when switching from MP to SP, or from regular SP to MP.

Going to the main menu from any mode or leaving Undead Nightmare single player mode will still reboot (except Japan).

Lasso will now retract properly when thrown while riding fast on a horse.

Removed display message saying "This horse is now your trusty steed" when you hitch a horse that you already own.

Re-enabled world-wide multiplayer compatibility with Japan.

Fix for failing and retrying the mission You Shall Not Give False Testimony, Except for Profit where attempting to shoot the skull prevents John from using his gun until switching to an unarmed state and back.

Fix for Land Grab multiplayer mode where occasionally the match will start with the timer at 500 and the game doesn’t end and no XP is awarded.

Fix for player becoming stuck indefinitely when sitting at a certain Liar's Dice chair in Casa Madrugada.

Fix for the host entering an unresponsive loading screen when client opts to join another session as the lobby timer reaches 0 seconds.

Fix for picking up opponents bag at the same time as it is returned to their chest, during a game of Grab the Bag.

Fix for issue that causes multiple mine carts to appear when replaying Gaptooth action area.

Fix for selecting private Free Roam during a barker countdown, which was causing a constant load.

* Undead Nightmare DLC:
The Gunslinger Achievement/Trophy now recognizes zombies as enemies.

Fixed a disparity in the headshots and undead headshots stat when shooting zombie animals.

Fix for meter not advancing during Undead Overrun when one player leaves the game in progress.

Fix for player occasionally bonding with undead horses and the Four Horses of the Apocalypse.

Fix for occasional crashing or freezing in the Las Hermanas area & during the mission Mother Superior Blues.

* Liars & Cheats DLC:
Fix for player becoming stuck indefinitely when sitting at certain Liar's Dice chairs.

Fix for issues when a user is removed from a Liar’s Dice session due to connection issues with other players, but the camera remains in the dice game while the player is returned to Free Roam or chooses other game modes.

Fix for issues with obtaining The Big Bluff Achievement (Xbox 360 only).

* Undead Nightmare Disc:
Original Game mode option removed from main menu.

Fix for 75 second delay before displaying an error message when installing on a system with a completely full hard disk (PS3 only).

SCHUEY F1 said:
Probably has been said before, but I think the addition of managing a farm would actually make the economic system worth it.

Rockstar just needs to go all Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing with some of the aspects of their games. Not having farm managing in RDR, or the ability to purchase real estate in GTAIV, or an economic system that matters in either game is really surprising. Not everyone would be into it, but for the people that are, it would add a whole new level of addiction. Also, real time seasons, and holidays please :D

But yeah, I want more DLC on the level of Gay Tony/Lost & Damned for RDR.

Septimus

Does anyone know if it's possible to take my PS3 save file on a USB stick and put it in another PS3 to pick up where I left off?

Hey You

Septimus said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to take my PS3 save file on a USB stick and put it in another PS3 to pick up where I left off?
I don't know about the PS3 but I'm pretty sure you can do this on the 360.

Worth a try.

Top Bottom