• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

AcridMeat

Banned
Welp I finally finished the game tonight. I got the game around when it came out and got around early Mexico before the semester started and hadn't played any story missions really until this winter break. So a lot of time has passed. I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

I loved the game when playing it over the summer and it's one of my favorite games this year, however finishing it off felt different. I'm going to blame it on the fact I was pushing through every story mission when I picked it back up because I wanted to finish it, despite the fact what I loved most about it was the ambient challenges and just wandering around.

Now, for the end of the game.
Once I got back to his family the game felt awkward as fuck. I disliked almost every mission except for hunting with Jack, since they were largely similar to the Bonnie missions in the opening which I despised.

It could be the amount of time that passed since I had been around the story, but I also felt like I had no explanation for how his family acted as characters. That is, barely any development once I met them, so I didn't care about them. I mean I know it was supposed to be a surprise that it wasn't such a happy jolly family, that makes sense. Maybe it was just the dialogue between them was inconsistent so I didn't know if they were pissed at each other or if they were happy with each other. I understood how they wanted to portray Jack but some of his dialogue was kind of weird I felt.

So Uncle died, that seemed absolutely meaningless.

When Marston was confronted by that final group of officers and it goes into dead-eye, I forgot how to tag enemies so I initially only shot once so I thought I failed and loaded up a save after John was killed. Which then took me back through the start of that entire fight, kind of frustrating but funny.

The transition with the graves to reveal Abigail is dead seemed abrupt but I don't see it as a fault. Jack's motivation for killing Ross seemed a little weird too. Sure he loved his dad, but he grew up mostly without him right? I guess it was a little unclear as to how much time had passed since they were kidnapped and when John comes back. It was also confusing how long he was back home before being gunned down.

Despite this I loved the fact I decided to buy the automatic German pistol right before gunning Ross down, that was damn satisfying watching 20 shots go into that fucker. The title card was fantastic as well.

Last point I want to make is that credit scroll was long as hell and I'm sad there was nothing at the end of it.

Still loved the game, I'm just a bit disappointed with how the last part went.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I finished the SP campaign today, after burning myself out on the game having played it non-stop for a few weeks straight back in October.

Not only does it cement my decision to name it my GoTY, but fuck me, this is - by far - Rockstar's best game. There are no words to describe the extent of how constantly I was pleasantly surprised by the supreme greatness of the world that defined Red Dead Redemption.

I can only hope Rockstar North staff look to their sister-studio-developed RDR to see how open-world game should be done.

Bravo, Rockstar. Bra-fucking-vo.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Started playing this yesterday, I dont' think a game has captured me from the get-go like this one. Maybe Fallout 3. Thats a very good sign.

NIN90

WAIT!

End game spoiler
There are missions after you take control of Jack? I didn't see no mission markers! The again, I saw no credit roll either.

Ataturk

NIN90 said:
WAIT!

End game spoiler
There are missions after you take control of Jack? I didn't see no mission markers! The again, I saw no credit roll either.
Wait a bit and look for a guy in Blackwater, in a gazebo iirc

CozMick

Banned
Just double dipped on the 360 version and bought the Undead Nightmare Collection.

Undead Overrun has to be the single greatest game-mode in the history of gaming, desperately needs a hardcore version though, casual noobs are rotten to the core.

The game is HUGE but anyone else feel that it feels empty and not have much to do in the wilderness besides long horserides and shooting some random animals?

AcridMeat said:
Now, for the end of the game.
Once I got back to his family the game felt awkward as fuck. I disliked almost every mission except for hunting with Jack, since they were largely similar to the Bonnie missions in the opening which I despised.

It could be the amount of time that passed since I had been around the story, but I also felt like I had no explanation for how his family acted as characters. That is, barely any development once I met them, so I didn't care about them. I mean I know it was supposed to be a surprise that it wasn't such a happy jolly family, that makes sense. Maybe it was just the dialogue between them was inconsistent so I didn't know if they were pissed at each other or if they were happy with each other. I understood how they wanted to portray Jack but some of his dialogue was kind of weird I felt.

So Uncle died, that seemed absolutely meaningless.

When Marston was confronted by that final group of officers and it goes into dead-eye, I forgot how to tag enemies so I initially only shot once so I thought I failed and loaded up a save after John was killed. Which then took me back through the start of that entire fight, kind of frustrating but funny.

The transition with the graves to reveal Abigail is dead seemed abrupt but I don't see it as a fault. Jack's motivation for killing Ross seemed a little weird too. Sure he loved his dad, but he grew up mostly without him right? I guess it was a little unclear as to how much time had passed since they were kidnapped and when John comes back. It was also confusing how long he was back home before being gunned down.

Despite this I loved the fact I decided to buy the automatic German pistol right before gunning Ross down, that was damn satisfying watching 20 shots go into that fucker. The title card was fantastic as well.

Last point I want to make is that credit scroll was long as hell and I'm sad there was nothing at the end of it.

Still loved the game, I'm just a bit disappointed with how the last part went.

I have similar thoughts but a bit to add:

Yes, I didn't like most of the family missions either. I hate the herding ones with a boiling passion, but these here were easier than the Bonnie ones at the beginning of the game. Still didn't care for them.

I know what you mean about the awkwardness of the family characters and how they related to John. I do think it made sense in regards to the story though. I know we don't know how long John has been away exactly, but I figure long enough to make things tense. Add in the type of life John previously lead and you get the strained dialogue. In a way, I thought it was interesting that the missions from that point on weren't as interesting or exciting to the player. I think it would have been intriguing if they allowed an option where John simply couldn't adjust to family life and then goes back out on his own, or one where he chooses Bonnie. Horrible I know, but we all know people that have done these things. Thought that would have been an interesting moral dilemma for the player.

As it stands, I did enjoy that you could then become Jack. However, after his lone mission, it's kind of disappointing how there's nothing else story wise for him to latch on to. Thought it would have been cooler if John's old side missions got wiped out for newer ones and to have the towns people say things like, "Is that the son of Marston?" Anyway, still an amazing and fun game. Now I've got to fire up Undead Nightmare.

AcridMeat

Banned
Spectral Glider said:
I have similar thoughts but a bit to add:

I know what you mean about the awkwardness of the family characters and how they related to John. I do think it made sense in regards to the story though. I know we don't know how long John has been away exactly, but I figure long enough to make things tense. Add in the type of life John previously lead and you get the strained dialogue. In a way, I thought it was interesting that the missions from that point on weren't as interesting or exciting to the player. I think it would have been intriguing if they allowed an option where John simply couldn't adjust to family life and then goes back out on his own, or one where he chooses Bonnie. Horrible I know, but we all know people that have done these things. Thought that would have been an interesting moral dilemma for the player.

I agree, I believe that's exactly what they were going for. I just think they did a poor job in making the player give a damn about it, which I'll blame on being away from the story for so long. Over the course of the game you are just given a few stories of his past, and in turn that's all you know about his family. I just wish they used the time with the family for more development than some banter before chores I guess.

edit: I also get that they wanted to show Marston in the life he was planning on starting by being a farmer. To have him live his dream.

AcridMeat said:
I agree, I believe that's exactly what they were going for. I just think they did a poor job in making the player give a damn about it, which I'll blame on being away from the story for so long. Over the course of the game you are just given a few stories of his past, and in turn that's all you know about his family. I just wish they used the time with the family for more development than some banter before chores I guess.

edit: I also get that they wanted to show Marston in the life he was planning on starting by being a farmer. To have him live his dream.
I think it would have been a bit better had they started the game with the family as an introduction/tutorial, taken you away from them (so that you'd actually miss them) and then at the end you'd come back and play some more around them. I think it would have had a greater impact.

In the little time I managed to spend with them I did kind of connected though. I wanted to protect them and I felt bad for my son which I had neglected. To be honest I agree with you both on the writing of Jack's character though: it isn't very clear at the begining if he's happy to have his dad back or not, and then it just seems to go back and forth between "we don't need you" and "you're going to go away again". Then again maybe that's what teenagers acted like back then :p

It truly was for me one of the best endings of this generation and probably in my top 10 ever. I ran into the final mission without knowing it (but kind of suspected it because no credits had rolled) and it blew me away. I don't think Jack avenged his father because he loved him (which I feel he did) but because his father was put down like a dog and his mother probably died of a broken heart due to it.

Finally, it bothered me that the game wouldn't let me climb to the top of the barn at the end and just throw a few molotov cocktails at the soldiers. I would have rained fire and lead on those guys. See how's got the upper hand then.

Wiggum2007

FunkyPajamas said:
Finally, it bothered me that the game wouldn't let me climb to the top of the barn at the end and just throw a few molotov cocktails at the soldiers. I would have rained fire and lead on those guys. See how's got the upper hand then.

Or toss out a lit stick of dynamite when he takes a peak out the barn door, hehe.

Wiggum2007 said:
Or toss out a lit stick of dynamite when he takes a peak out the barn door, hehe.
I thought about that too but a stick of dynamite could easily be thrown back if the fuse wasn't short enough. It could have been thrown on the ground and then shot though.

On the topic of dynamite: did we get dynamite sticks in the inventory as weapons? I think we got some for specific missions but not to carry around like the molotov cocktails, did we?

Hey You

I would have liked a little more
time at the end of the game with the family part. Seemed too short.

I'm really hoping we get another SP DLC on the scale of TBoGT.

rvy

Banned
Got to play it yesterday for a short while, but watched for 3 or so hours. Fucking brilliant and amazing. Ordered mine today, can't wait.

JaseC said:
I finished the SP campaign today, after burning myself out on the game having played it non-stop for a few weeks straight back in October.

Not only does it cement my decision to name it my GoTY, but fuck me, this is - by far - Rockstar's best game. There are no words to describe the extent of how constantly I was pleasantly surprised by the supreme greatness of the world that defined Red Dead Redemption.

I can only hope Rockstar North staff look to their sister-studio-developed RDR to see how open-world game should be done.

Bravo, Rockstar. Bra-fucking-vo.
Couldn't agree more. Just finished this tonight, as I have taken my sweet time with it since I started it.

Red Dead is to me, the pinnacle of the gaming experience to date. So god damned well done.

FunkyPajamas said:
I think it would have been a bit better had they started the game with the family as an introduction/tutorial, taken you away from them (so that you'd actually miss them) and then at the end you'd come back and play some more around them. I think it would have had a greater impact.
I disagree. It had more impact on me since I didn't think that I was actually GETTING my family back; I was expecting the worst. And not only did I get them back, but the game wasn't over?! Most stories like this end once the hero is returned to his family, but there was still a final act to go. The impact would've been lost on me if you had already met the family and was used to doing missions with them. If anything, I wish we had more missions with the family at the end. I loved every one of them.

In the little time I managed to spend with them I did kind of connected though. I wanted to protect them and I felt bad for my son which I had neglected. To be honest I agree with you both on the writing of Jack's character though: it isn't very clear at the begining if he's happy to have his dad back or not, and then it just seems to go back and forth between "we don't need you" and "you're going to go away again". Then again maybe that's what teenagers acted like back then :p
Of course that's what teenagers act like! Even still today! What 16 year old do you know who is totally well-adjusted?! It was awkward, but realistically so. Jack was growing into a man, so of course he wants to be independent, especially of his father. But at the same time he does love his father, so he doesn't want him to go gun-slinging and die.

I think that they didn't give you control over John after his family left cause he was resigned to dying. I think he realized that his former life would never be gone from him, and he would always be endangering his family. So to ensure their survival, especially his son (whom he never wanted to live a life like his father) he let himself die. Cause once he's gone, there would be no reason to go after his family.

FAKE EDIT: Do we really have to spoiler tag everything in this thread now? My post looks ridiculous because of this!

This is my little lttp post. I originally bought RDR on day 1 but barely touched it for a bunch of stupid reasons. Whatever, my second copy from Amazon was delivered yesterday and I have begun.

I'm a couple hours in and I'm really enjoying it. The story and characters are much better than I would ever expect. This is one of the rare times that I want to play to see more cutscenes and story development rather than gameplay. The gameplay is great of course.

Like:
-Graphics/story/characters/setting
-Shooting and bullet time
-Riding my horse throughout the world. Horse riding is very satisfying
-There have been some really interesting missions so far and I'm addicted to looting fallen enemies
-All the fun things there are to do from poker to movies, treasure hunting to sharp shooting and even skinning deer for the hell of it

Dislike:
-I'm hours in and there's a surprising lack of shooting and combat
-Game took a while to get off the ground. It was Harvest Moon for a bit too long.
-Minigames can be agitating. Mandated horse wagon racing? Why.
-I would like the overall pacing to be a bit faster.

So far I'm having a blast. I'm not 100% hooked or blown away beyond belief but I'm impressed and enjoying myself. I don't think I can honestly say I've experienced anything that warrants RDR's insane amount of GOTY winnings but there's plenty of RDR still left to make my way through before I can make a final call.

I am pleased.

Agyar

FunkyPajamas said:

Gaining the upper hand and defeating the squad would only have continued to trap him and his family on a course that could only end in their death at the hands of the government. Stepping out of the barn was John's acceptance of the fact he could never escape this fate and while he was alive, neither could his family.

Harpuia

The ending of this game was amazing. Watching
John get shot up and fall to the ground
damn near made me cry. :( It didn't feel too satisfying
Getting to kill Ross as Jack
but it was a nice end. I freaking loved this game. I might be getting Undead Nightmare, and maybe some of the multiplayer DLC...or not seeing as how the multiplayer is kinda boring.

Always-honest said:
it's amazing to me that this game didn't get more GOY awards.
Yep. And try as I might I don't understand how Mass Effect 2, as good as it is at what it does, holds even a candle to this game. I loved the first Mass Effect too, but the sequel is just not even close, in terms of ambition, potency, storytelling, beauty and immersion. RDR is a novel, punctuated by tons of sub missions, whereas Mass Effect is solid science fiction pulp.

But hey, games like Mass Effect do have more immediate bang for the buck, so I guess that's something.

I've put a lot more hours into the game and I'm still playing right now. The story is so great and the action has picked up. Yes. GOTY. All of the awards. I love this game.

I do have a few complaints - there can be nasty jaggies at times, there's a bit too much "Do me a favor" stuff (making John comment on it doesn't make it ok, it should have been written to not feel so errand-y imo) and waypoints often behave in a manner I can't understand (I set a waypoint and the red line ends nowhere near where it was set, I'll travel to waypoint via campsite and I'm not there either) but overall this is a killer experience.

Nelo Ice

Banned
looks like rockstar is finally going to give us the last 4 avatar awards through an xp challenge

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...star-xp-challenge-now-available-pitch-in.html

The Red Dead Redemption Rockstar XP Challenge has officially begun, ladies and gentlemen. Grizzled veterans and greenhorns alike in Red Dead Redemption multiplayer on Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network will be on equal footing as the entire online population works starting today to unlock special avatar rewards for their respective platforms. In lieu of the originally announced "Skin It to Win It" and "I Shot the Sheriff" Challenges to unlock these avatars, the test will now be for players on each console to harness their collective XP earning skills online and get that thermometer up from zero to 100%.

jonnybryce said:
waypoints often behave in a manner I can't understand (I set a waypoint and the red line ends nowhere near where it was set, I'll travel to waypoint via campsite and I'm not there either)

The red way point line only follows roads and paths, so if you set an X to an area that's off the road or path like the middle of a desert or up on a hill, the line will stop along the road or path that is closest to your X. Now, if you point to a town, you'll get right in the town because a road runs directly through it.

Finished the game today, had an absolute blast.

Ending was sort of expected, but still done very well. My only gripe was that Jack's final confrontation with Edgar Ross was just very rushed and there wasn't a hell of a lot of depth to it. They could've thrown in a lot more dialogue, touched on some important themes and even added an option to leave Ross. Instead they just cheaped out with a duel.... A bit 'meh' in my book, but for me the game really ended with John's death, so there we go.

Also I came across what I can only assume to be a bug in John's very final showdown. After Abigail and Jack have made their getaway on the horse and he is still in the barn, Jack's 'Bear Attack' model suddenly appeared by the door and just stood there watching John as he paced around before walking out to his fate.

Now to invest in some points and pick up Undead Nightmare! Hoping its included in the XBLA Rockstar sale next week.

rvy

Banned
I think my Gentleman attire glitched. I linked with the Social Club, the website tells me I unlocked the suit, but it doesn't show up in the outfits tab. Any way to fix this?

Hey You

rvy said:
I think my Gentleman attire glitched. I linked with the Social Club, the website tells me I unlocked the suit, but it doesn't show up in the outfits tab. Any way to fix this?
What Platform?

If your on the 360, try clearing your cache.

Kevtones

Got 100% in this yesterday.

Tedious grind of bounties at the end but I had a great time with this game. Really well-realized world with a ton of flaws and some dumb pacing.

Still, a fantastic achievement and one of my top 10, maybe top 5 from 2010.

Considering Undead Nightmare.

Just loaded up the game and remembered that my last save of John Marston was after the first
ranch mission near the end of the game which means, according to Rockstar law, I can't change my outfit. Because you know, once you settle down to ranch life, you have to wear the same clothes for the rest of your life.

And I have another save as Jack, who can change his clothes, but he's a punk ass bitch who I hate having to look at, and listen to.

What an effing bummer. =(

Apath

Just started getting into it, but I have to say, once you figure out how to play and get a hang of all the controls, this game is phenomenal. Things are so convincing and well pulled off that the combat is always surprising to me when you're able to single handedly take down gangs of over a dozen men.

A little early to tell, but this looks to be one of my top 5 games for this generation.

Neuromancer said:
Just loaded up the game and remembered that my last save of John Marston was after the first
ranch mission near the end of the game which means, according to Rockstar law, I can't change my outfit. Because you know, once you settle down to ranch life, you have to wear the same clothes for the rest of your life.

And I have another save as Jack, who can change his clothes, but he's a punk ass bitch who I hate having to look at, and listen to.

What an effing bummer. =(
I forget which outfit it was but there was one outfit that made
jack
look like the most badass dude in the game. Maybe it was the bandit outfit. I forget, haven't played in ages.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Got 100% in this yesterday.

Tedious grind of bounties at the end but I had a great time with this game. Really well-realized world with a ton of flaws and some dumb pacing.

Still, a fantastic achievement and one of my top 10, maybe top 5 from 2010.

Considering Undead Nightmare.

Undead Nightmare is only 400 points in the R* sale. Do iiiiiiittt.

FunkyPajamas said:
Really? Can't you go to a nearby town and change clothes in one of the rooms/saloons/houses? That sucks.
That is correct. Even in free-roam, not actually in a mission or anything, you can't change clothes once you reach that point.

It's really dumb.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I forget which outfit it was but there was one outfit that made
jack
look like the most badass dude in the game. Maybe it was the bandit outfit. I forget, haven't played in ages.
Yeah look like that's the way I'm going to have to go from now on.

WORK YA DAMN NAG

Ugh.

Hey You

mikeybwright said:
I'm about to buy this, but does anyone know if there is gonna be a GOTY/Ultimate edition of it coming out soon?
I haven't heard anything.

Does R* do GoTY editions? I know they did it for PS3 GTA IV since Xbox got timed exclusive DLC.

2 quick questions (I've not played this game in months.)

1. Where can you buy dynamite?

2. Where's a good place to kill a bunch of snakes?

Thanks.

Top Bottom