• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Neuromancer said:
2 quick questions (I've not played this game in months.)

1. Where can you buy dynamite?

2. Where's a good place to kill a bunch of snakes?

Thanks.
Didn't even know you could buy dynamite, but I found this:
internet said:
The Dynamite is unlocked during the "Father Abraham" mission. Afterward, you can purchase it at stores all over the frontier.
On the snakes:
internet said:
Places I have seen them: all over Mexico, north and west of Armadillo, northern Great Planes.
I also read there are a few around Pike's Basin. They're supposed to make a distinctive sound when nearby (rattle maybe?).

Hey You

Arcipello said:
Thread has 360 pages now.... Is that a sign that I should replay it? Coz dammit I will !
Yes! I am just starting my replay as well. Only two or three missions in.

FunkyPajamas said:
I also read there are a few around Pike's Basin. They're supposed to make a distinctive sound when nearby (rattle maybe?).
Yep. That's exactly what you'll hear.

FunkyPajamas said:
Didn't even know you could buy dynamite, but I found this:

On the snakes:

This "internet" guy has all the answers! Thanks.

Just finished the main storyline and I have to gush.
I can't think of a single game's ending that gripped me quite the way this one did. The Abbigail, Jack, and Uncle missions leading up to the army's assault on the ranch showed a much appreciated "family man" side to John and made his sacrifice that much more heart-wrenching. Being able to play as Jack three years later and actually avenge his father's death was an unexpected twist for me as well. Best of all, after the credits I can go back and do all of the side quests and challenges I missed - and allow Junior to make a name for himself in the process. I love it; game deserves every award it won.

I am not sure if I should have done a LTTP thread or not, but anyway:
Started playing this game two weeks ago, just finished it, and fuck it was brilliant. I am of those who couldn't finish GTA4 (i won't say it's a turd, but i did get bored), and RDR was enthralling from beginning to end.

Unlike some others here, I did love the early mission and the missions that led to the ending
herding was really fun
. I actually liked the mexico bit a lot more than the beginning of the game
especially because most of the characters you meet at the beginning of the game - save bonnie and the sherif - are so fucking despicable, that slimebag merchant and all his annoying mannerisms, the insane grave digger, the stupid lying irish. The mexican characters were often flawed, but at least they were more entertaining. And some of them were great - landon ricketts in particular
I do dislike the tendency rockstar has to force you to work for characters that - if they were not story characters- your first instinct would be to murder them.

The story was simple but great, the music phenomenal, and the ending was really well done.
i wonder how many were in my case, but i found the jack marston 'remember my family' mission immediately after the death of john, just because i was mad and decided jack would go to town and become a mass murderer. Meeting the dude right away and going after that fucking douchebag satiated my thirst of vengeance and i let jack stay a good guy.

I also think it's the first game i played where i could just roam around, not doing anything, and just enjoy looking at the scenery and listen at the environment. The world rockstar created was very beautiful, and i really enjoyed riding for no particular reason to places (something which I was very bored by in GTA and just wanted to hop in the first cab i found). Not even Assassin's creed 2, with its beautiful city, came close to that sentiment for me.

rvy

Banned
Finished it yesterday, the story and ending were great, but I felt quite bored and tired of the game in the last missions.
Regardless, awesome experience. And the Gentleman's Attire unlocked for some reason.
Not for Marston though

SillyPuty

Neuromancer said:
2 quick questions (I've not played this game in months.)

1. Where can you buy dynamite?

2. Where's a good place to kill a bunch of snakes?

Thanks.

I personally found more snakes in the Great Plains

LM4sure

Banned
Got this game through Goozex a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it. I only put it in my queue because of all the praise it got, and I have not been a huge fan of the GTA games. For some reason, this game is just amazing. I cannot really pinpoint why it is so much better than GTA IV. Maybe the story, excellent voice acting, gameplay...I dunno! I'm loving it though.

Question: Is the DLC worth getting if I'm not going to play it online (I'm on CFW).

DonMigs85

LM4sure said:
Got this game through Goozex a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it. I only put it in my queue because of all the praise it got, and I have not been a huge fan of the GTA games. For some reason, this game is just amazing. I cannot really pinpoint why it is so much better than GTA IV. Maybe the story, excellent voice acting, gameplay...I dunno! I'm loving it though.

Question: Is the DLC worth getting if I'm not going to play it online (I'm on CFW).
Undead Nightmare is worth it, but you can get it on disc.

I finished the single player over the weekend I have nothing to say it’s all been said before simply amazing. I happened to finish it the same time the DLC content is on sale on XBLA $5 bucks for Undead Nightmare can’t complain, after the ending of the real game it was great to hop back in the world.

I decided to try a little multiplayer just for a brief change, but I can't play anything. Apparently my connection sucks so much that I get kicked from any thing I try to join except free roam with maybe one to three other players. It sucks.

FunkyPajamas said:
That first night with the full moon and that song slowly playing in the background. Goddamn. What a moment.

The sun was setting at the time I did it, and it made it even better.

Klocker

RadioHeadAche said:
I decided to try a little multiplayer just for a brief change, but I can't play anything. Apparently my connection sucks so much that I get kicked from any thing I try to join except free roam with maybe one to three other players. It sucks.

your NAT is probably set to strict (or moderate)

get it open and you should be fine

storl026

RadioHeadAche said:

The sun was rising for me
after gunfighting and coming down the river on the raft during the night
. It was kind of like a new beginning, a new day. That was a personal top-three moment in gaming.

soultron

Banned
Mexico is just fucking beautiful in the game. The colour palette used for the buildings is amazing. Small details like draperies dancing in the wind, clay pots everywhere, etc.

Just stunning. I used to just wander around aimlessly at times in Mexico.

I just finished Undead Nightmare and am really looking forward to going back to RDR to 100% it.

I've been making my way through RDR lately and it's been a real joy; no other game I've played has so convincingly taken the player to another time and place. There's nothing like getting lost in the desert wilderness and soaking in the atmosphere in solitude, facing off in a duel during a thunderstorm, or stabbing a wolf in the face. The sunsets are just spectacular as well.

Having just returned to America after journeying through Mexico, I'm looking forward to getting mauled by some big goddamn bears in New Elizabeth. I've actually kept the same horse since the begging of the game-- the wild stallion from one of the early herding missions with Bonnie. I couldn't care less that there are swifter, stronger steeds out there; after all the adventures I've had with my horse, I intend to finish the game with him if at all possible.

Also, they really nailed the Euphoria integration; shooting criminals in this game is so damn satisfying. Putting some rounds in a baddie's face and leaving him with a crater where it used to be never gets old.

DonMigs85

soultron said:
Mexico is just fucking beautiful in the game. The colour palette used for the buildings is amazing. Small details like draperies dancing in the wind, clay pots everywhere, etc.

Just stunning. I used to just wander around aimlessly at times in Mexico.

I just finished Undead Nightmare and am really looking forward to going back to RDR to 100% it.
I'm sure my jaw will really drop once I see it running on PC in 1080p with everything maxed. Sometimes I find it hard to believe this is the same engine that powered GTAIV and Midnight Club LA, it just looks so much nicer.

DonMigs85

Spaceman Spiff said:
I've been making my way through RDR lately and it's been a real joy; no other game I've played has so convincingly taken the player to another time and place. There's nothing like getting lost in the desert wilderness and soaking in the atmosphere in solitude, facing off in a duel during a thunderstorm, or stabbing a wolf in the face. The sunsets are just spectacular as well.

Having just returned to America after journeying through Mexico, I'm looking forward to getting mauled by some big goddamn bears in New Elizabeth. I've actually kept the same horse since the begging of the game-- the wild stallion from one of the early herding missions with Bonnie. I couldn't care less that there are swifter, stronger steeds out there; after all the adventures I've had with my horse, I intend to finish the game with him if at all possible.

Also, they really nailed the Euphoria integration; shooting criminals in this game is so damn satisfying. Putting some rounds in a baddie's face and leaving him with a crater where it used to be never gets old.
You're talking about the palomino horse, the Kentucky Saddler? It's actually one of the top 3 best horse breeds in the game. It has the 2nd best speed, defense, and stamina.
I did defect to the black horse later on though (American Standardbred) since it has the highest speed, although poor health.

DonMigs85 said:
You're talking about the palomino horse, the Kentucky Saddler? It's actually one of the top 3 best horse breeds in the game. It has the 2nd best speed, defense, and stamina.
I did defect to the black horse later on though (American Standardbred) since it has the highest speed, although poor health.

Heh, I didn't know that. His stamina is practically limitless, especially after considering the bonus you get for sticking with a horse for a while-- stays near top speed all day long without skipping a beat.

Razorskin said:
So I'm in Blackwater and completed the I Know You stranger task.

What the hell is he? Some sort of hallucination?

It's open to interpretation. Most believe that he's God, the Devil, or another otherworldly entity. Some think he's a personification of John's guilt. Some think he's just a weird guy and John missed. After you beat the game, check the following page.

Got this game on Black Friday...I wanted to like this game...but It just BORESSSS me to TEARS. Shame as it seems to be a very good game.

harriet the spy said:
where in the game are you?

Last story thing I remember doing was some chariot type race with that fake doctor dude and winning. Then for fun I rode the train around while shooting at animals from the top then doing a stick up and hoping on my horse and riding till I got bored. So Yeah...that was like sometime in early Januray or late december.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I've actually kept the same horse since the begging of the game--

That's a bit of a feet...I think I went through about 10 horses. Some killed in shootouts, some fell off cliffs, and some were just abandoned for others in all the confusion.

Spectral Glider said:
That's a bit of a feet...I think I went through about 10 horses. Some killed in shootouts, some fell off cliffs, and some were just abandoned for others in all the confusion.

Yeah, early on I wasn't going out of my way to keep my horse out of trouble, but after a dozen or so hours with the same steed, I started leaving him behind when infiltrating gang hideouts and using liberal amounts of Dead Eye to keep him from getting hit during shootouts.

It's funny, after arriving in Mexico, and having left my horse behind on the shores of New Austin, I thought I was finally going to have to find a new ride. Then I randomly whistled, and what do know, he comes running over the hillside. Got to love those teleporting steeds. :lol

MacBosse

Sevket-Erhat said:
I cannot believe I have missed this one until it got so many Game of the Year awards. Such a master piece

God damn, I wish I had missed it so I could experience it for the first time right now ... oh gaming bliss!

Hey You

BigJonsson said:
Any idea if there will be a new version with all the DLC on the disc already?
Do you mean The Original Story stuff + all DLC?

There's a disc with all the DLC on it already, but not that contains everything from the original disk.

Gribbix

BigJonsson said:
Any idea if there will be a new version with all the DLC on the disc already?
Most likely, assuming you mean an RDR + DLC/UN collection (not necessarily on one disk). Gamestop.com has a March listing for a Red Dead Redemption Game of the Year Edition strategy guide.
-Special Hardcover edition makes this giant tome a prized collectible for all Red Dead Redemption fans.
-Covers all three DLC releases, including mission walkthroughs, new challenges, and Multiplayer.
-Expanded coverage of the original game - everything from the original Signature Series guide and more.
-Conceptual Art Gallery featuring never before seen early development sketches.
-Complete list of Achievements and Trophies.

mokeyjoe

Stackboy said:
How can a game be both boring and be good?

momolicious said:
The game is HUGE but anyone else feel that it feels empty and not have much to do in the wilderness besides long horserides and shooting some random animals?

It's this that makes it for some and kills it for others. Personally I felt there was plenty to do and any more would have been unrealistic. The wilderness is so beautiful and relaxing it's what made the game for me, a zero-pressure sandbox that had just enough to give it purpose (via the ambient challenges, random encounters etc) but not enough to incur stress. And there's always fast travelling available.

I can understand why some people think this may be boring, but it's part of what really made the game work for me.

andycapps

Just started this game yesterday. Probably about 2 hours into it, so far it is good but the story hasn't really started picking up yet. Heard the first hour or two is tedious. Not sure whether to keep plowing through story missions or do as many side quests as I can. Figured I might need to do those side quests so I can level up aspects of my character.

Top Bottom