• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

I'm really happy for you guys. GOTY for me. It was soooo awesome.

I still haven't started Undead Nightmare because I think I don't want to face full completion of the game.

Double D

This is one of those games I loved and said I'd continue playing after I beat it, but haven't. Totally skipped Undead Nightmare, too. For some reason I find it challenging to put this game back into my 360.

Booshka

andycapps said:
Just started this game yesterday. Probably about 2 hours into it, so far it is good but the story hasn't really started picking up yet. Heard the first hour or two is tedious. Not sure whether to keep plowing through story missions or do as many side quests as I can. Figured I might need to do those side quests so I can level up aspects of my character.
Do a little bit of both, the first area is very fun to do both side quests and main quests. Mexico can drag a little so don't wear yourself out in New Austin. I spent a lot of time in New Austin messing around and experimenting, so when I got to Mexico, I was surprised how long it lasted, and ended up just wanting to get to the next area. If I would have paced it better, I probably would have enjoyed Mexico more.

andycapps said:
Just started this game yesterday. Probably about 2 hours into it, so far it is good but the story hasn't really started picking up yet. Heard the first hour or two is tedious. Not sure whether to keep plowing through story missions or do as many side quests as I can. Figured I might need to do those side quests so I can level up aspects of my character.
It gets really fun once you get the lasso. The tedious part is Mexico. It lasts forever.

andycapps

Booshka said:
Do a little bit of both, the first area is very fun to do both side quests and main quests. Mexico can drag a little so don't wear yourself out in New Austin. I spent a lot of time in New Austin messing around and experimenting, so when I got to Mexico, I was surprised how long it lasted, and ended up just wanting to get to the next area. If I would have paced it better, I probably would have enjoyed Mexico more.

Is there a way to know what the actual story missions are? Is it in the journal or something? Because right now I've got 3 people I can talk to for missions and then a bunch of side missions can pop up to duel someone or hunt something or whatever. Or the side missions to find somebody's kid or bring in an outlaw that's wanted.

andycapps

Goldrusher said:
The letters on the map are the people giving you the story missions.

Gotcha, thanks! Got the lasso last night by the way and the new horse from Bonnie. No saddle on it yet, I assume I have to buy that somewhere.

Goldrusher

I don't remember, but there might also be question marks which lead to story missions, check those out too.

But everything else is triggered by people yelling at you, stuff you find, wanted posters on walls, etc.
And of course the challenges (sharpshooter, hunter, etc.) in the menu.

andycapps

drizzle said:
Still nothing on the horizon about this game coming out on the PC, right?

Damn you, Rockstar

The additional resolution and maybe reduced pop-in would help some, but you'd have to play it with a gamepad. Can't imagine steering the horse and doing some of the things with KB/M.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
PC version is also more future proof. Aside from the better resolution and better framerate (and generally looking a lot better) that's the reason I want one.

Heck, that's the reason I buy most PC games nowadays.

bengraven

I truly hope there's a PC version some day, but I don't expect one. I think we're going to be looking at less and less console ports, especially from large companies that are sick to death of pirating.

Which is sad, because this game would be so amazing on PC.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
andycapps said:
The additional resolution and maybe reduced pop-in would help some, but you'd have to play it with a gamepad. Can't imagine steering the horse and doing some of the things with KB/M.
So? I play Just Cause 2 with a controller, but I much rather play it on my PC. I didn't buy Red Dead on the 360 because I'm waiting for a PC version, but I'm starting to believe that it wont be the case.

Now if only the digital version of it on the 360 would drop price...

andycapps

drizzle said:
So? I play Just Cause 2 with a controller, but I much rather play it on my PC. I didn't buy Red Dead on the 360 because I'm waiting for a PC version, but I'm starting to believe that it wont be the case.

Now if only the digital version of it on the 360 would drop price...

Oh I can definitely understand that. But really if you have a 360, or even a PS3, I'd suggest getting it however you can. It's a great game and the technical issues aren't bad. It's really beautiful actually, and there are some issues of pop-in when you're riding into towns but it's not too distracting to me.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
andycapps said:
Oh I can definitely understand that. But really if you have a 360, or even a PS3, I'd suggest getting it however you can. It's a great game and the technical issues aren't bad. It's really beautiful actually, and there are some issues of pop-in when you're riding into towns but it's not too distracting to me.

I would buy it a second time just to get it on PC. I already have it on PS3, but considering getting it for the X360 as well, so I can play the best version currently available. Then when I've done that, I will get Undead Nightmare.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
andycapps said:
StarEye said:
I would buy it a second time just to get it on PC. I already have it on PS3, but considering getting it for the X360 as well, so I can play the best version currently available. Then when I've done that, I will get Undead Nightmare.
Unlike both of you, rather than spending 80 bucks to get the best version (40 on the 360 and an eventual 40-50 on the pc), I much prefer buying the best version (the non-existent PC version) and use the rest of the money to buy more games. :D

andycapps

drizzle said:
Unlike both of you, rather than spending 80 bucks to get the best version (40 on the 360 and an eventual 40-50 on the pc), I much prefer buying the best version (the non-existent PC version) and use the rest of the money to buy more games. :D

How's that working out for you thus far? :) If you don't mind getting a used copy, you can get a 360 copy for $24 including shipping via Amazon. It's a 3rd party seller but my copy came quickly and is in good condition.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
andycapps said:
How's that working out for you thus far? :) If you don't mind getting a used copy, you can get a 360 copy for $24 including shipping via Amazon. It's a 3rd party seller but my copy came quickly and is in good condition.
It's working pretty much the same way it did for Darksiders: I wanted to play it, was expecting a PC version, nobody said anything about it for months, decided to buy the XBox version, a couple months later the PC version came out and I didn't even started playing the 360 version.

Which made me even more furious (because the 360 version has VSync issues), so I never played the 360 version and finally bought the PC version on a Steam sale for 7 bucks.

So yeah.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I just picked up the X360 disc versions of RDR and Undead Nightmare and am wondering if they are completely separate like GTA, or does installing Undead Nightmare at the same time as RDR get me anything extra in the base game? What's the best way to play through this?

Also, any gameplay protips I should know about before getting too deep in?

stuminus3

bengraven said:
I truly hope there's a PC version some day, but I don't expect one. I think we're going to be looking at less and less console ports, especially from large companies that are sick to death of pirating.
I don't think this is true at all. The larger percentage of 3rd party console games get a PC port, even RDR is a weird exception in Rockstar's case as most of their library is available on PC.

What's changed in recent years is that games used to be made for PC then ported to console, now it's the other way around. Oh, and Microsoft fucked up their own market to sell more Xboxes, but that's a console first party.

Hey You

letsbereasonable said:
Sorry if this has been answered, but I just picked up the X360 disc versions of RDR and Undead Nightmare and am wondering if they are completely separate like GTA, or does installing Undead Nightmare at the same time as RDR get me anything extra in the base game? What's the best way to play through this?

Also, any gameplay protips I should know about before getting too deep in?
Nah, nothing extra. I would definitely play through the main storyline (and make sure you play until you see the credits screen pop up) then play Undead Nightmare.

This is one of my all-time favorite games. I love it. The gameplay,characters, visual design, soundtrack, voice acting..everything about this game is top notch. Cougars and bears can fuck off though in this game though. Especially cougars. Coming out of the bushes to kill you in 2 hits?! It was bullshit especially when you try to melee kill 2 of those sumbitches.

But besides that, I have Undead Nightmare but I've barely played it. I don't know whats wrong with me.

ssowinski

andycapps said:

I have it sitting in the perpetual backlog and have been eyeing it quite a bit since Undead came out. Will start it after Bulletstorm (short) and Killzone 3 (would probably ruin FPSs for me) as long as 3D Dot Heroes or Demon Souls doesn't hook me first. Or Assassins Creed 2 - but probably won't start that until I'm ready to play Brotherhood too.

I'm sure with all the DLC included. My game of the year. Really wish they hadn't cut so much on in freeroam though(lasso, population, random npc events, trains) maybe next time.

Aurora

I finished the story in the space of like 2 days. Couldn't put the controller down. An absolute masterpiece of a game.

I recently had the urge to play this again and go for 100%. I'm only missing the bounty missions.

For someone who's completed the zombie DLC, can you tell me if it's worth it?

I finally got around to playing this and it's a lot of fun and very addicting. What's stands out the most for me is the voice acting, it's consistently excellent. The guy who plays John Marston deserves whatever accolades he got because he is spot on. You couldn't have a more perfect voice for the role. The dialogue is good too, and that it's of high quality throughout is impressive considering the huge amount of it.

I've been in Mexico for a few hours now, and like every big open world game I've played, fatigue is setting in because of the repetition. Thankfully, the story is propelling me along and the game is still enjoyable. I'd like to start wrapping things up soon, though...

Pikelet

The-Warning said:
I finally got around to playing this and it's a lot of fun and very addicting. What's stands out the most for me is the voice acting, it's consistently excellent. The guy who plays John Marston deserves whatever accolades he got because he is spot on. You couldn't have a more perfect voice for the role. The dialogue is good too, and that it's of high quality throughout is impressive considering the huge amount of it.

I've been in Mexico for a few hours now, and like every big open world game I've played, fatigue is setting in because of the repetition. Thankfully, the story is propelling me along and the game is still enjoyable. I'd like to start wrapping things up soon, though...

The game hits a bit of a lull during the Mexico portion. Picks up dramatically directly after this section, although you probably have more to go than you think :)

Dead Man

I'm glad people are still getting into this game. It is a different pacing to most games, and I think it does it well. It feels like what R*N were trying to with GTAIV, but here R*SD have made it work.

Riposte

I only played this recently.

A lot of people hyped up the moment when you first enter Mexico... I ended up being disappointed. (Actually the game altogether doesn't live up to the hype of best game of 2010, but that's always the case with these kind of games.) The ending did impress me a lot though. The variety in scenery is probably my favorite thing about the aesthetics. I would have been more interested from the gecko if they had saved Mexico for last(and maybe got rid of its pointless GTA-like side-quest storyline completely). Out of the two style-over-substance third person shooters which dominated everyone's GotY, I prefer Mass Effect 2... but RDR is my favorite cowboy game ever. (And I like westerns more than space opera.)

I am not sure if I want to play Undead Nightmare. I don't think I can take anymore of those GTA shooting mechanics.

Vik_Vaughn said:
This is one of those games I loved and said I'd continue playing after I beat it, but haven't. Totally skipped Undead Nightmare, too. For some reason I find it challenging to put this game back into my 360.

do it! you won't regret it! I'm the same way with alan wake, however :-/

Hyperborean said:
I only played this recently.

A lot of people hyped up the moment when you first enter Mexico... I ended up being disappointed. (Actually the game altogether doesn't live up to the hype of best game of 2010, but that's always the case with these kind of games.) The ending did impress me a lot though. The variety in scenery is probably my favorite thing about the aesthetics. I would have been more interested from the gecko if they had saved Mexico for last(and maybe got rid of its pointless GTA-like side-quest storyline completely). Out of the two style-over-substance third person shooters which dominated everyone's GotY, I prefer Mass Effect 2... but RDR is my favorite cowboy game ever. (And I like westerns more than space opera.)

I am not sure if I want to play Undead Nightmare. I don't think I can take anymore of those GTA shooting mechanics.

these are not GTA shooting mechanics. The shooting feels so right to me, and gta never had that.

I loved this so much and want to go back to it but have a backlog to beat first.

Amazingly I've never watched any Westerns (unless Blazing Saddles counts) and the film made me want to give some a try, too many to chose from though ha.

I hope for a sequel or prequel of sorts, I take it Red Dead Revolver isn't really worth playing?

I also had the creepy
Staring Jack
bug at the end.

One more point did the opening music remind anyone else of Lost?

Pikelet said:
The game hits a bit of a lull during the Mexico portion. Picks up dramatically directly after this section, although you probably have more to go than you think :)

That's alright. I'm gonna try to play less the next few days to recharge my batteries. I was playing non-stop and wearing myself out, the game is so addicting. "Just one more mission!"

Lassoing and hogtying never gets old.

One of my favorite missions in Mexico was
with that guy, forgot his name but he reminded me of Al Pacino in Scarface, and you're running along the side of the train and have to stop the bandits from blowing it up. Racing fast with my horse to get in front of the train and on the other side to take down bandits was great, so much fun. But then I thought, wait, was I supposed to jump on the train and shoot them from there? Hmm, might want to try that mission over again. Anyway.

When Rockstar nailed it with this game they really did nail it. I got my poncho on and I feel like Clint Eastwood.

Riposte

This game was definitely at its best when a train was involved. You weren't able to rob trains outside missions were you? I would totally go boot up the game right now if you could.

(Also I will say shooting in here was better than any GTA so far, but I still didn't like it.)

Hyperborean said:
This game was definitely at its best when a train was involved. You weren't able to rob trains outside missions were you? I would totally go boot up the game right now if you could.

(Also I will say shooting in here was better than any GTA so far, but I still didn't like it.)

Shooting is good and satisfying but it can get awkward and messy if enemies or animals are too close to you and you're in dead eye.

I put targeting on expert early on because it seemed like the game was targeting for me on normal.

soultron

Banned
I know this sounds stupid, but I hope LA Noire will contain some sort of nod to RDR. A Marston suit would be too out of place, but I'd enjoy that so much.

Jeff Albertson said:
I hope for a sequel or prequel of sorts, I take it Red Dead Revolver isn't really worth playing?

I was itching for more after beating Redemption as well, I can assure you that Red Dead Revolver does NOT scratch that itch. Red Dead Revolver is... ok, I guess. There's a cool moment or two but it is very last gen and kind of weird too

Marleyman

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:

I did the same thing.

Ben Pierce said:
these are not GTA shooting mechanics. The shooting feels so right to me, and gta never had that.

They are not that different. I'm playing through GTA IV, TLaD, and RDR right now and having no problem switching between games. The main difference is, and I played on normal, that RDR will lock to a target but then you can move the reticule anywhere you want. In GTA, once locked on, you can only aim around the target and it always re-centered when you stopped moving the stick. You could also move the the lock to another target, which I don't think you can do on normal in RDR. I found both ways work well with their games. The gunfights are more about management of enemies than aiming your gun, so the mechanics never really got in the way. I'm quite happy they have a lock-on mechanic, to be honest, I get frustrated enough in these games.

RDR was smart to give 3 control options though. The next GTA will certainly continue that trend.

I'm at the later stages of the game
(Blackwater)
, and I've had three crashes. And when I say crashes I don't mean freezing, my PS3 abruptly powers off completely out of nowhere. Before it happens I do notice that textures start acting funny and not loading properly. I've had no problems my entire game until now, and I have no problems with other games so I don't think it's my PS3.

I checked online and there were other people that had problems when this game came out. Some people even reported that this game permanently ruined their PS3, so I'm a little nervous about continuing. I tried some fixes, one being turning off auto-save and everything seemed okay for awhile, so I turned auto-save back on and it happened again. So maybe it's that and I'll leave it off this time.

I noticed this game works the PS3 pretty hard. We'll see what happens. Anyway, still liking it. So many little touches and attention to detail, even things like poker, the amusing things the characters say and the way they deal the cards. I've never been a big fan of poker but I spent more than an hour playing last night (trying to get an outfit), and it's fun.

I hope I can finish and it doesn't brick my PS3.

As others have said, this is one my favorite games of this generation. Loved the setting, loved the music, loved the dialogue, loved the historical references.

However, if there's one thing that can be improved (in Rockstar games in general) it's enemy AI. I didn't feel that the AI got aggressive enough until John's last mission making a lot of the battles beforehand a bit boring. Enemies should try to eventually out-flank you, especially when they have numbers- not just sit behind some object all-day and poke their heads out every once and awhile.

I finished the game and wow, fantastic. It's the type of game that stays with you after the credits roll.

*Ending spoilers:

I managed to know nothing about the ending going in, but I suspected John might die. I could sense the impending doom during the relatively happy Beecher's Hope ranch activities and while John was tutoring his son. There was also a bit of foreshadowing. Either way, it was an emotional experience, enhanced even more by the great music choices. When I was the son Jack, I knew that couldn't be it, could it? So I eventually headed off to Blackwater hoping I could find that bastard Ross and get revenge. I was relieved to meet the agent who told me where Ross was, I thanked him then blew him away with a shotgun. I wouldn't have done that as John because I played straight-up good the whole game, but it felt right as Jack.

I found Ross and riddled him with bullets. Very satisfying.

So many cool things to talk about with RDR but it's already been done in this thread. I'll say this though: I wish Rockstar focused more on Bonnie and Marshall, and had more characters like them. Normal, but interesting people. Rockstar just can't help but indulge in these over-the-top, wacky people like the Professor and Seth. Nothing wrong with humorous and amusing characters, but for example did everyone in Mexico have to be a total nutcase? (except Landon Ricketts and maybe Luisa)

One of the highlights was the
flirty relationship between Bonnie and John, I was bummed when she disappeared from the game until the end. I enjoyed the scene when she watched Abigail and John ride off in the wagon, and you could tell by her body language she had feelings for John.
A nice, subtle moment.

Flaws and all, easily one of my favorites games this gen.

cwmartin

Yeah im LTTP, but, I just started playing and I'm really really digging it. About to the start mission assaulting Fort Mercer and having a great time. Although I don't really understand horse breeds at all, but anyway. I want to play this thing online but from everything I've read it really helps to play with others you know or plan to play with them. Everyone on my friends list is still CoD heavy. Is multiplayer still active? Fun? Anyone want a new red dead posse member?

Top Bottom