• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

mrseaves

Banned
RDR is the most memorable game I've played in a long time. A great blend of gameplay, music and writing. Too bad it's not on PC.

I'm RTTP (returning to the party) - and I'm having a whale of a time now that I've slowed down and not tried to blast my way through it.

Online is quite enjoyable too. It reminds me of that Jedi Outcast piece that guy wrote (can't remember where from) on following the rules that might not necessarily be in the game, but those made by the players. Yeah, you get some assholes that will just camp out or dead eye you every time you go near them, but every so often you get people coming to your rescue when you're trying to do a gang hideout, or perhaps even the people you've fought over a territory with joins your posse.

tl;dr: People can still shoot you, but the fact that they don't is quite powerful stuff - particularly when it's the easy thing to do.

Meier

Finally started playing Undead Nightmare.. took some time to get back into the flow as I forgot a lot of the controls. I didn't remember how to do Dead Eye at all but hitting RB now sticks in my mind so I'll have to try it next time I get on. Shame that you don't get your weapons or anything from the regular mode.

Vik_Vaughn said:
This is one of those games I loved and said I'd continue playing after I beat it, but haven't. Totally skipped Undead Nightmare, too. For some reason I find it challenging to put this game back into my 360.
This is me to a T. I loved it -- probably the GOTY for 2010 but I just didn't feel the urge to come back to it. Bought Undead Nightmare during the Christmas half off sale and just now finally starting to play it. I'm sure it will grab me like the original did.

Meier said:
Bought Undead Nightmare during the Christmas half off sale and just now finally starting to play it. I'm sure it will grab me like the original did.
Me too. First I had to 100% the original game, and was amazed that I actually did (in fitting fashion, I shot a wild horse to finish it off).

I hope Undead Nightmare is fairly funny, 'cause I don't want some scary ass game freaking me out in a dimly-lit basement.

Tawpgun

MarshMellow96 said:
I'm RTTP (returning to the party) - and I'm having a whale of a time now that I've slowed down and not tried to blast my way through it.

Online is quite enjoyable too. It reminds me of that Jedi Outcast piece that guy wrote (can't remember where from) on following the rules that might not necessarily be in the game, but those made by the players. Yeah, you get some assholes that will just camp out or dead eye you every time you go near them, but every so often you get people coming to your rescue when you're trying to do a gang hideout, or perhaps even the people you've fought over a territory with joins your posse.

tl;dr: People can still shoot you, but the fact that they don't is quite powerful stuff - particularly when it's the easy thing to do.

This. I love RDR freemode and GTA freemode. It's really cool to see people working together when their first instinct in a shooting game is to kill you.

I remember playing GTAIV free mode and the entire lobby was divided between like 4 different "factions" if you will. Then it turns out two jerks (although highly skilled) decided to wreck us in helicopters. We all united against them and were bringing them down easily with concentrated fire. It was the coolest thing.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Avyrocky said:
PC RDR where art thou?
I'd pay up to 90 dollars (50 for the game, 40 for the DLCs) for a Red Dead Redemption PC port.

However, reading the "nightmare development cycle" personal blog post from that self-proclaimed ex-rockstar employee makes me think that it's never going to happen.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I remember playing GTAIV free mode and the entire lobby was divided between like 4 different "factions" if you will. Then it turns out two jerks (although highly skilled) decided to wreck us in helicopters. We all united against them and were bringing them down easily with concentrated fire. It was the coolest thing.
I was hoping this is how the game would be. APB-style. Everybody pal up with a crew and then grab some hardware and go harass people. Haha. I tried the helicopter thing with a buddy and it was harder than it looked.

I found RDR multi a little more satisfying, for whatever reason. Like they didn't design it as an afterthought. Too bad they didn't introduce hardcore MP right off the bat. When some shithead gets a buffalo rifle in auto-aim mode, you can only hope that you surprise him.

Tawpgun

DeuceMojo said:
I was hoping this is how the game would be. APB-style. Everybody pal up with a crew and then grab some hardware and go harass people. Haha. I tried the helicopter thing with a buddy and it was harder than it looked.

I found RDR multi a little more satisfying, for whatever reason. Like they didn't design it as an afterthought. Too bad they didn't introduce hardcore MP right off the bat. When some shithead gets a buffalo rifle in auto-aim mode, you can only hope that you surprise him.

RDR had more features in free mode which was awesome, but also took away from the core experience. I sort of missed riding around the city and trying to organize events with other players. Those improptu grudges and gang wars that would erupt were fun too.

What I want in GTAV is a posse system like in Red Dead. That would be cool as hell, and they probably will add it too.

If there is an RDR 2, they should add in more RPG elements (upgrading your character abilities and equipment.)

I enjoyed doing the missions to get new outfits, but then you get the outfit after all that work and it's like ehhhh. A let down. Same thing with hunting and picking flowers, the activity was fun but there was little payoff except to complete challenges.

Mr, marston nooooooooo!

The heck did they kill him for!!!! :(
Fracking yellowbellies.

Game is epic by the way. I bought it 2 weeks ago and i just beat it. When i first started playing i couldn't really get into it. It was pretty boring. I thought GUN for PS2 was a much better game. But now they both have a place as my favorite western (pun?) games.

"Easy up now"

(Are there no credits in this game?)

Tawpgun

Kung Fu Grip said:
:O =0 ;O =p

Edit- I was wondering what was going on. I've been running little marston around for awhile now.

Did you beat it? Credits and all?

Did you find the guy at Blackwater?

overcast

Didn't get to put my thoughts into this thread. But I guess I'll join the others praising this game.
It was an absolutely fantastic experience. The complete package that I want in a video game. It was my GOTY last year. This is one of those games you know will be a classic once you experience the ending.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I just finished it yesterday and the ending was incredible. Unfortunately, one of my friends had already spoiled me
that Marston dies
, but that didn't take away from the experience. The last mission was just so good. You could feel the tension and
Marston facing his death like a man was completely awesome
. I would have loved to know more about Marston's past life, but the dialogue between each character you did a mission with was decent enough to get a general idea of things. Excellent game.

Edit:

By the way, the end of the mission where
Bonnie looks at Marston as he's going away back to his ranch with his wife was the saddest thing ever! It's like a bitter sweet moment that whole time for Bonnie. I felt sad for her because I love the relationship he had with Marston. It's like she's meant to be forever alone or something.

I finished the game the other day. What a fantastic ending, Marston has to be my favorite video game character this gen.

Wanting to enjoy the ending again I went to YouTube and my eyes drifted slightly to the comment section where I found out about and had the epilogue spoiled.

About the epilogue
The magic was taken away since I was so used to disarming in all the duels and Ross can't be disarmed. I was hoping for a cool execution cutscene :(

After 5 attempts I decided on turning his head into powder by filling it with a clip from the Mauser. His ragged corpse fell into the river, never to he seen again.

That freeze frame at the end was epic

Now that tge story is over I'm going for 100%, at level 7 for Master Hunter and Survivalist, done the other two. Also need another 7 bounties and the Marshall outfit.

Shame that
my John will never get to wear the Legend of the West outfit

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The-Warning said:
One of the highlights was the
flirty relationship between Bonnie and John, I was bummed when she disappeared from the game until the end. I enjoyed the scene when she watched Abigail and John ride off in the wagon, and you could tell by her body language she had feelings for John.
A nice, subtle moment.

Flaws and all, easily one of my favorites games this gen.

Agreed 100%. I never understood the Rock Star Games hype, but this game and moments like this made me see.

mclaren777

I just started playing RDR yesterday and I played for 10 hours straight.

It's much better than I expected and far superior to GTA4 in my opinion.

Bizzyb

Banned
Guys, don't forget to Pick up Undead Nightmare. Sure it could get a little repetitive but there is SO MUCH new content added and lots of reprising roles and returning favorites. Easily a worthy addition to play. Just remember that it's supposed to be campy horror and you'll have fun

A27 Tawpgun said:
Did you beat it? Credits and all?

Did you find the guy at Blackwater?

Found out what i had to do.

You know whats funny? I was already planning to do that!!!! :O

Wandering around lost i decided to buy a newspaper. What do i read inside?
Edgar Ross is retired and living by the lake with his wife in cholla springs. ORLY? I say. Taking all the credit for what my daddy did and killing him?
Oh no you didn't motherfucker.

I hopped on my horse with anger and road down there anticipating to blow his ass away. Obviously no one was there. But when i found out what i actually had to do from talking to the guy at blackwarter it just put a smile on face and made the game that much better.

Minamu said:
Any newbie tips? Without spoilers

Stay on track with the ambient challenges, they follow the progression of the story. Also, doing them nets you some nice bonuses such as free stagecoach rides, more ammo at your safehouse and faster dead eye. Most of all, you get a bad ass outfit when you finish all of them.

With the survivalist challenges make sure to buy the survivalist maps from any general store. They make the visible range for plants on your map much further.

Have fun and don't come back to this thread until you've finished the game although this last page looks pretty safe, I wouldn't risk it.

I probably should play this but I'm a completionist and this has a lot of stuff to do.

I liked the little bit I played at a friends' however.

rocksteady1983 said:
Just beat father Abraham where you have to bury some explosives in the road. How much of the main storyline would you say I have left?

Probably a few more things in Mexico, and then quite a bit more stuff up north. I can't give a number but you have plenty of game left.

Buckethead said:
I probably should play this but I'm a completionist and this has a lot of stuff to do.

I liked the little bit I played at a friends' however.

I completed 94.5 % in 42 hours. I might someday 100%, but I finished the story and that just took the desire away.

Minamu

toasty_T said:
Stay on track with the ambient challenges, they follow the progression of the story. Also, doing them nets you some nice bonuses such as free stagecoach rides, more ammo at your safehouse and faster dead eye. Most of all, you get a bad ass outfit when you finish all of them.

With the survivalist challenges make sure to buy the survivalist maps from any general store. They make the visible range for plants on your map much further.

Have fun and don't come back to this thread until you've finished the game although this last page looks pretty safe, I wouldn't risk it.
Thanks, I'll take you up on the advice ^^

mclaren777

I just fully finished RDR and I have a piece of advice for anybody who is just starting...

Once you beat the mission that plays this song just watch the following cutscene, then take out the disc and snap it in half.

Everything that comes after is terrible and in my mind it ruins both the story and the enjoyment of the gameplay.

UrbanRats

mclaren777 said:
I just fully finished RDR and I have a piece of advice for anybody who is just starting...

Once you beat the mission that plays this song just watch the following cutscene, then take out the disc and snap it in half.

Everything that comes after is terrible and in my mind it ruins both the story and the enjoyment of the gameplay.
25char_swearengen.jpg

"Run for your fucking life.."

mclaren777

I enjoyed the domestic missions that happened after that song but I disliked the way John treated Uncle and everything that occurs after the horse hunt, especially the very end at the river.

Fjordson

Interesting. I thought the final act (and the true ending) was brilliant. I even liked the beginning and end of Mexico. It just dragged a bit in the middle for me.

I wish they'd release some episodes or something for Red Dead. Have already gotten 100% in RDR and Undead Nightmare. More single-player content in that world would be really great.

mclaren777 said:
I enjoyed the domestic missions that happened after that song but I disliked the way John treated Uncle and everything that occurs after the horse hunt, especially the very end at the river.

So you enjoyed the missions...yet it ruins the story...ok

Ok I am LTTP, I just finished it like 10 minutes ago. Actually, I finished it 20 minutes ago, then I came onto GAF to read the OT and ask
why the game abruptly stops after the graveyard scene following John's death

So after reading that part, I
went down and tracked down that sonofabitch in the hopes of getting some goddamn answers about why he killed my father even after he'd helped him. I then proceeded to die like 3 times because I had forgotten how to do duels. I think I still don't know because I ended up mashing the shoulder and trigger buttons and killing him either way.

My favorite part in the entire story was
after Dutch's death, I got to ride off to my ranch with that badass song playing in the background. Felt like a movie!

I don't think I will end up 100%ing this game, and I have put in about 16 hours into the game. Have about 65% completion. I feel content in leaving it that way. I also found out I was -$8 in gambling throughout the game. Looks like the house always wins; even in a video game!

I enjoyed the story slightly more that GTA4, and that's probably because they trimmed a lot of the fat from the middle (I said lot, not ALL of the fat).

I really like what R* did with this game. I really feel sorry that it was plagued by shitty management, but the people who were involved should really pat themselves on the back. Even after a shitty work situation, they ended up doing some really, really good work. Not sure I would be similarly motivated if I was in the same position. Well done.

zoukka

LTTP also, played about 7-10 hours in two days. Let's keep it short:

Nice world with a lot of things to do.
Awesome visuals, even though the night/day cycle is pre-baked.
Has a lot of the GTA magic in it.

But the story kinda sucks big time. Characters are a joke and they look and animate like Team America puppets. No emotional connection to anyone. The smaller stories through missions are really bad... no conclusions and consequences at all.

And in the end, the only collectibles worth collecting are the treasures. I found SotC far more satisfying with the lizard tails than the overabundance of animals and stuff in RDR.

Oh and the firefights become boring and easy VERY FAST.

Nice game, but I strongly doubt I'll even finish it.

So I finished this back in June last year, but got an urge last week to explore the world again.

Well, let's just put it this way... I've put at least 15 more hours into it, just exploring, taking in the vistas, hunting, etc. Fuck, it's one BEAUTIFUL world. I'm slowly working my way towards 100%.

I can't remember a game's world that has fascinated me this much... I'd have to go back to Perfect Dark to think of a game I sunk so much time into, just experiencing the world.

I love you, RDR.

Bizzyb

Banned
zoukka said:
LTTP also, played about 7-10 hours in two days. Let's keep it short:

Nice world with a lot of things to do.
Awesome visuals, even though the night/day cycle is pre-baked.
Has a lot of the GTA magic in it.

But the story kinda sucks big time. Characters are a joke and they look and animate like Team America puppets. No emotional connection to anyone. The smaller stories through missions are really bad... no conclusions and consequences at all.

And in the end, the only collectibles worth collecting are the treasures. I found SotC far more satisfying with the lizard tails than the overabundance of animals and stuff in RDR.

Oh and the firefights become boring and easy VERY FAST.

Nice game, but I strongly doubt I'll even finish it.

Are you playing with Expert Difficulty? It uses a completely manual aiming system. No lock-on at all. Instantly Makes it almost an entirely different game and it's not easy at all.

Cerilli

Neo Member
Hey everyone.

I just finished this game for the first time last night
(including killing Edgar Ross)
, and the ending really made me reflect on how great this game truly is. I'm still thinking about it! I don't think I've ever had the story in a game do that for me... the closest might be Mass Effect 2, but this is so much better in a different way.

I'm so glad I played through this to the end, it's the first time I've been motivated enough to do so with a Rockstar game. I'm still looking forward to going back in to the world to get 100%,
but it just doesn't feel the same now that I'm no longer John. Also, I find it kind of funny that some of the people from side quests that I started are still waiting for me a few years later. Gotta go find some flowers for that old man before he croaks...

So good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Recently started this game and I definitely had to warm up to it. Early on the game has some clunky and downright boring missions (who at Rockstar thought herding cows would be fun?), but it really picks up once you plan to
storm fort Mercer
. Now I'm south of the border and it seems it's only getting better.

There are some pointless inclusions though, like the hunting and skinning, which seems pretty useless once you start raking in money and the petty cash from hides isn't really worth it. Also: unskippable repeated animation of skinning ain't cool.

The game also seems to have randomly dropped
Bonnie as a character. After you save her from hanging she disappeared. I hope she returns at some point, I like her.
The moment you're on horseback for the first time in Mexico and the Jose Gonzalez song starts playing... man. That has to be one of the more memorable moments this generation for me. Incredible.

ShinAmano

I just finished Undead Nightmare and have to say this was a massive letdown after how fantastic the main game was. Everything in UN felt like a chore...oh well I wont let it sour my thoughts on RDR as it is a fantastic game.

Montresor

I just bought all the new DLC (it was discounted at 1600 microsoft points - very nice) and I've been stoked to try it out. I haven't played Red Dead in almost 8 months, ever since I got 1100/1100 and completed the game way back in the summer.

3ur4zn said:
So I finished this back in June last year, but got an urge last week to explore the world again.

Well, let's just put it this way... I've put at least 15 more hours into it, just exploring, taking in the vistas, hunting, etc. Fuck, it's one BEAUTIFUL world. I'm slowly working my way towards 100%.

I can't remember a game's world that has fascinated me this much... I'd have to go back to Perfect Dark to think of a game I sunk so much time into, just experiencing the world.

I love you, RDR.

I absolutely love free roam, and you mostly explained why. RDR's landscape is the kind of world you just LOVE to get lost in, especially with a big posse, running around completing hideouts, doing free roam journal challenges, or just plain taking in the sights, riding from mexico to america on horseback while the sun sets behind you. The terrain is diverse and beautiful and breath-taking. I LOVE this game.

Now to go for that 1500/1500.

Montresor said:
I absolutely love free roam, and you mostly explained why. RDR's landscape is the kind of world you just LOVE to get lost in, especially with a big posse, running around completing hideouts, doing free roam journal challenges, or just plain taking in the sights, riding from mexico to america on horseback while the sun sets behind you. The terrain is diverse and beautiful and breath-taking. I LOVE this game.

Spot on mate! You have no idea what I'd give to explore New Austin for real haha!

PS - Is Undead Nightmare still 1600 points?

Aurora

ShinAmano said:
I just finished Undead Nightmare and have to say this was a massive letdown after how fantastic the main game was. Everything in UN felt like a chore...oh well I wont let it sour my thoughts on RDR as it is a fantastic game.
Hmm this is a bit worrying to hear. I too am a huge fan of RDR, and having recently 100% it I was looking for a new fix via Undead Nightmare.

Is it not worth it then?

Montresor

3ur4zn said:
Spot on mate! You have no idea what I'd give to explore New Austin for real haha!

Undead Nightmare on its own is 800 points. The Undead Collection (think mega Gears pack from two summers ago) contains all three paid DLC packs for 1600 points, including Undead Nightmare, Legends and Killers, and Liars and Cheats.

BTW, I hate that my character has the lowest possible honour. I think it's because I stupidly went for that Friends In High Places achievement and saved right afterwards. For that challenge you have to get a bounty of $5000 on your head and then use a pardon letter. Well I killed civilian after civilian, swelling the bounty on my head, without thinking that my picture perfect honourable character would become a dishonourable thug afterwards. I saved after getting the achievement, instead of just turning it off and reloading.

Anyhow, I need to know something about the new free DLC (the two free outfits). How come there isn't an option to make the challenges "active." It used to be that with outfits you can make a particular outfit an active challenge, and so on the mini map you would see a pink circle giving you a tip on where to go next to tick off a task on your outfit checklist. There's no such option with the two new outfits.

Hey You

3ur4zn said:

Undead Nightmare Collection (All DLC's in this pack. Save 800 MSP if you bought them indivually) is 1600 Microsoft Points.

Undead Nightmare by its self is 800 points.

Aurora said:
Hmm this is a bit worrying to hear. I too am a huge fan of RDR, and having recently 100% it I was looking for a new fix via Undead Nightmare.

Is it not worth it then?

Totally worth it. I would have paid double the price it is for it. It will itch that spot you've got.

Top Bottom