• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Hey You

Fjordson said:
Yes yes yes. That's the beauty of what they did with RDR. They literally have the entire Old West to draw upon for future games.

Maybe even have a John cameo from back in his outlaw days. The game could basically be to Redemption what Vice City was to GTA III.
Yeah, awesome.

Its too bad we didn't get more single player DLC for RDR. So many stories that could have been told.

Like you said, we could play as John back when he was running with his gang. I think it would be pretty interesting.

hlhbk

speculawyer said:
I want a damn PC port. C'mon R*. You did it for GTI IV which uses the same engine.

Let me preface the statement below by saying I own and love RDR on 360.

Yeah and look how piss poor that port is. One of the worst optimized ports of all time. IF RDR is gonna run like that I would rather R* not even waist their time.

RPGCrazied

Will have to say the 360 version looks an runs better. PS3 has jaggies all over, and I'm noticing in towns there is an FPS stutter, its not bad though.

No screen tearing, so thats a plus!

I've been playing this for the first time recently, I'm a few missions into West Elizabeth. I agree with Buckethead, larger settlements and gameplay revolving around that would probably be my number one ask for a sequel (which I hope we don't have to wait another 6 years for like Revolver -> Redemption). It didn't bother me through New Austin or Nuevo Paraiso but Blackwater does feel a bit small and empty.

RPGCrazied said:
Will have to say the 360 version looks an runs better. PS3 has jaggies all over, and I'm noticing in towns there is an FPS stutter, its not bad though.

No screen tearing, so thats a plus!

Hmm, I was wondering if I would notice the tech improvement too. Well I guess I should give it a shot.

m0ngo said:
Has anyone seen this comic?

24 hours in the life of John Marston...

http://kafkaskoffee.com/wp/?webcomic_post=24-hours-marston
:lol

Just wanted to say this is hilarious and very true. lol

Solo

So I'm replaying the game for the first time since beating it when it released last year. I got 100% the first time through and am trying to do so again. However, I am having an issue with one of the outfits. I have all the pre-requisites for the US Army outfit, and the only remaining thing to do is to buy the scrap from the tailor in Blackwater. However, when I go into his store, the scrap is always shown as not available.

Is this a known glitch or am I missing something here? I was able to get it last time.

Wiggum2007

I thought overall RDR had more of an American Western vibe. For the sequel I think it'd be great if they went more Spaghetti Western. Those Sergio Leone films had a more fantastical, larger than life feel which I think fits better with the over the top, high body count gameplay than a gritty down to earth style.

Solo said:
So I'm replaying the game for the first time since beating it when it released last year. I got 100% the first time through and am trying to do so again. However, I am having an issue with one of the outfits. I have all the pre-requisites for the US Army outfit, and the only remaining thing to do is to buy the scrap from the tailor in Blackwater. However, when I go into his store, the scrap is always shown as not available.

Is this a known glitch or am I missing something here? I was able to get it last time.

Have you completed all the missions? I don't think it unlocks until a certain point in the story.

Started replaying this yesterday, and man, this is still such an amazingly realized world. The way Marston moves across the landscape as though he's an actual part of the world is something not a lot of open world games get right. The world also feels really 'alive'. Such a great game.

Solo said:

BIG END OF GAME SPOILER
Doesn't show up in the store until you're playing as Jack.

Munin

Wiggum2007 said:
I thought overall RDR had more of an American Western vibe. For the sequel I think it'd be great if they went more Spaghetti Western. Those Sergio Leone films had a more fantastical, larger than life feel which I think fits better with the over the top, high body count gameplay than a gritty down to earth style.

Have you completed all the missions? I don't think it unlocks until a certain point in the story.

Thematically RDR is far more Italian than American (though from an aesthetic standpoint I know what you mean). Italian Westerns were far grittier and morally ambiguous than American westerns at the time. So RDR fits in that much more.

That being said, Red Dead Revolver already went for the all-out cartoon Spaghetti style, so I don't see why that would need to get repeated.

Wiggum2007

Munin said:
Thematically RDR is far more Italian than American (though from an aesthetic standpoint I know what you mean). Italian Westerns were far grittier and morally ambiguous than American westerns at the time. So RDR fits in that much more.

That being said, Red Dead Revolver already went for the all-out cartoon Spaghetti style, so I don't see why that would need to get repeated.

Yeah I guess I was thinking more from an aesthetic point of view. I guess when I say American western I meant more modern westerns like 3:10 to Yuma etc., rather than, say, John Wayne films (now that'd be an interesting route for them to take in a sequel, haha). I haven't played Red Dead Revolver, didn't that game have like evil midget clowns and villains with machine guns for arms? Heh.

Plasmid

I'm playing the undead nightmare dlc and i just did filth and other entertainment, now i can't do anything, i've saved all the towns, and i can't get into mexico, what do i do :(?

andycapps

Munin said:

Yeah it's more similar to the spaghetti westerns, for sure.. There are some similiarities and themes that I found reminscent of The Wild Bunch where they kept alluding to the times changing and how their time had passed, that the world was progressing.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
end game question
is it possible to disarm Edgar Ross in that last duel with Jack?

TheTowel

Always thought a good idea for a sequel would be the Gold Rush. Lots of potential there considering the lawlessness of early California and the various ethnic groups involved with the gold rush.

Ghost towns, Sierra Nevada's, etc.

I'm a bit late to the party. Really enjoyed the game, but like a lot of R* games, I tend to lose a bit of interest in the 2nd half. Anyway I finally opened up Blackwater & Great Plains and did a few of those missions.
After Dutch dies, and Marston goes back home to his family Why am I still playing this game? I am having a hard time finding the fun in herding cattle & killing crows
I really hope there is something that makes this worthwhile, because going back to essentially the tutorial missions is really tedious.

CrazyDude

Iwatas Magic Sports Coat said:
I'm a bit late to the party. Really enjoyed the game, but like a lot of R* games, I tend to lose a bit of interest in the 2nd half. Anyway I finally opened up Blackwater & Great Plains and did a few of those missions.
After Dutch dies, and Marston goes back home to his family Why am I still playing this game? I am having a hard time finding the fun in herding cattle & killing crows
I really hope there is something that makes this worthwhile, because going back to essentially the tutorial missions is really tedious.
You are almost finished.

Dead Man

Stay with it, it will pay you back.

Aspiring

Just keep playing. Trust me.

You're almost there! Keep going!!!

Also, don't forget to do the epilogue mission after the "final" mission. (i.e. after the credits roll, go back into the game and continue playing)

Ok, I just finished it & I give high marks to R* for doing something that I totally wasn't expecting. Something that you just don't see in most forms of entertainment. Whether it's games or film or even books. I don't know if I like what they did or not, but it definitely was surprising.

JMizzlin

In anticipation for LA Noire last night I booted up RDR and started to screw around in multiplayer. Entered my first ever Grand Prix with the hopes of getting the Peacewalker achievement.

Won the race without firing a shot, but I took a shot from another player at the very beginning. The three losing players then voted to boot me for wining legit.

Great community.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Dead Man said:
Not as far as I know.

If you do aim for his hand you'll fill up to about 10% and he'll quickly rise to 100% so he'll shoot you. It's a race to build up the meters you have to kill him since only killing shot will fill it up to beat him.

Me, I just managed to get every single offline trophy. Thinking about shooting for platinum. At level 18 or 20 online but I don't really have it in me for another online level grind.

Dead Man

Eye Drop said:
In anticipation for LA Noire last night I booted up RDR and started to screw around in multiplayer. Entered my first ever Grand Prix with the hopes of getting the Peacewalker achievement.

Won the race without firing a shot, but I took a shot from another player at the very beginning. The three losing players then voted to boot me for wining legit.

Great community.
Online gaming, isn't it cool?

kinoki said:
If you do aim for his hand you'll fill up to about 10% and he'll quickly rise to 100% so he'll shoot you. It's a race to build up the meters you have to kill him since only killing shot will fill it up to beat him.

Me, I just managed to get every single offline trophy. Thinking about shooting for platinum. At level 18 or 20 online but I don't really have it in me for another online level grind.
Yeah, that is about what I thought.

Ok, I just finished it & I give high marks to R* for doing something that I totally wasn't expecting. Something that you just don't see in most forms of entertainment. Whether it's games or film or even books. I don't know if I like what they did or not, but it definitely was surprising.

But you are still not finished until you see the end credits !

DXPett1

Damn this thread bought back memories. Decided to grab Far Away on iTunes. Still gives me shivers down my spine. Such a compelling track coupled with a important moment in the game.

tim1138

Has there been any information on a GotY release for this with all the DLC?
I believe it's Amazon that has a listing for a GotY guide, but nothing for the game itself.

bengraven

You gotta give it up for R* and the amount of effort they put into the end
- doing a special cutscene for every single Stranger mission but one if you're playing as Jack. I think it was almost overkill, especially since I did every Stranger before I finished the game, but it didn't break them, so high five.

That said, Jack's voice and face annoys the shit out of me. They should have got a different actor for his adult form and his face looks like a potato.

Honestly, RDR2 is my most anticipated game right now, even moreso than the ones announced already.

tim1138 said:
Has there been any information on a GotY release for this with all the DLC?
I believe it's Amazon that has a listing for a GotY guide, but nothing for the game itself.

I'm hoping we get one soon and there's a PC release. My PC is aching for this game.

ShaneB

Just started playing this tonight, just a little bit so no real in depth analysis, but first impressions are pretty awesome. Love the vistas and setting, and the voice acting seems superb.

Only thing that is taking a little getting used to is steering the horse and making it do what I want.

bengraven

Really bored, so things I want to see in the next game:

+ Bill Elm return for the music
+ keep the same scale of things - I like the distance between towns and the wide open areas
+ maybe a bit of customization and owning of property ala VC. Let me buy up a brothel or just get a nice little farmhouse.
+ taxidermy!
+ don't get too radical with the time period, setting. 1911 made me nervous already, though it was done perfectly and my doubts were unfounded. It will still be a great game regardless, but being set in 1800's Mongolia or modern day Argentina just wouldn't be the same. Don't pull a Call of Juarez.
+ better, more impactful dueling: if it takes place earlier during the time of the real Western legends not the twilight years like Ricketts, let us fight characters who through story and word of mouth are huge players in the world. Make them feel the like superheroes they were to kids.
+ wait, yes, let's be Landon Ricketts!

- fix Euphoria so I don't have to "drive" Marston sometimes. Also, when is Rockstar going to fix the jumping that hasn't changed since GTAIII? The plodding jump forward that sometimes makes me accidently jump in the water and drown myself
- give me that PC port I've been pissing about in the last few weeks.

I know this is boring, but I can't really think of a lot of things I would want to change, for fear of screwing with what made RDR so great.

This is seriously my favorite free-roaming game of all time. Probably second on my list of GoAT.

Tawpgun

I know this is terrible having this mindset... but...

I kind of wish they don't do an RDR 2. How can anything possible surpass this masterpiece. By far my favorite singpleplayer experience this gen.

KaYotiX

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:

I kind of wish they don't do an RDR 2. How can anything possible surpass this masterpiece. By far my favorite singpleplayer experience this gen.

I agree with you

Fjordson

bengraven said:
Really bored, so things I want to see in the next game:

+ Bill Elm return for the music
+ keep the same scale of things - I like the distance between towns and the wide open areas
+ maybe a bit of customization and owning of property ala VC. Let me buy up a brothel or just get a nice little farmhouse.
+ taxidermy!
+ don't get too radical with the time period, setting. 1911 made me nervous already, though it was done perfectly and my doubts were unfounded. It will still be a great game regardless, but being set in 1800's Mongolia or modern day Argentina just wouldn't be the same. Don't pull a Call of Juarez.
+ better, more impactful dueling: if it takes place earlier during the time of the real Western legends not the twilight years like Ricketts, let us fight characters who through story and word of mouth are huge players in the world. Make them feel the like superheroes they were to kids.
+ wait, yes, let's be Landon Ricketts!

- fix Euphoria so I don't have to "drive" Marston sometimes. Also, when is Rockstar going to fix the jumping that hasn't changed since GTAIII? The plodding jump forward that sometimes makes me accidently jump in the water and drown myself
- give me that PC port I've been pissing about in the last few weeks.

I know this is boring, but I can't really think of a lot of things I would want to change, for fear of screwing with what made RDR so great.

This is seriously my favorite free-roaming game of all time. Probably second on my list of GoAT.
Agreed on everything. I'm one of the only people in the world who actually enjoys the controls in Rockstar games, but the jumping does feel so damn awkward. Trying to be at all specific with it is impossible.

One thing I'd add is a continuation of the stranger missions, just more fleshed out. Those encounters/missions were some of my favourite parts of RDR. Happening upon someone or something interesting when on the road is a quintessential western event.

It makes me sad to think how long it will be until we get another Red Dead (if one is in the cards).

Mik2121

Fjordson said:
Agreed on everything. I'm one of the only people in the world who actually enjoys the controls in Rockstar games, but the jumping does feel so damn awkward. Trying to be at all specific with it is impossible.

One thing I'd add is a continuation of the stranger missions, just more fleshed out. Those encounters/missions were some of my favourite parts of RDR. Happening upon someone or something interesting when on the road is a quintessential happening in westerns.

It makes me sad to think how long it will be until we get another Red Dead (if one is in the cards).
I like it too :p

Sorry for the nooby question, but is there a version of this game that comes with the add ons? I want to get the game, but the Undead DLC seems like a pretty big thing and I would love to get it along with the game if thats possible?

A27 Tawpgun said:

There is a LOT they can do to surpass RDR. As much as I love this game, there were some missed opportunities.

First of all, they need to bring it back to the real Wild West. Civil War, gold rush, "Era of Legends" type of stuff. Confederate vs. Union state happenings, more prospector interaction, lots of "Gunslingers" more outlaw vs. lawmen stuff underneath the War, etc. etc. There's still a lot they can mine (no pun intended)

On the gameplay side, they should add more to the economic system of the game. Buying/selling/trading goods and skins should play an integral part of getting money for guns and ammunition. They could also have property and business ownership of brothels, saloons, a mix of both, housing, farms, stables, etc. They can have a Gang customization where you build your fame or infamy and spread it throughout the game. More random events, more animals, more "life" in some of the populated towns, more interplay between rival gangs and sides of the War that don't necessarily involve the player, etc. etc.

Basically what I'm saying is that they should look at where Saints Row, and more importantly ASSASSIN'S CREED are heading, and take some elements from those games. Aside from obvious fixes like animations, smoothing out Euphoria even more, framerate, etc., they can have a real deep experience here that wouldn't be FORCED on the player, but would add tons of value to the experience. Then of course there's stuff like making Free Mode online an extension of the singleplayer world instead of just 16 players in an even more empty "nothing happening" hub, more mission variety (where were my tense "stakeouts" and more stealth missions), more train hijacking, barfights, more options for thievery, etc. etc.

In other words, they should wait for next gen because disc space and ram will hold this sequel back.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just started this game last night.

I always have a hard time getting into new games. So far this game just strikes me as GTA with a Western skin.

And fuck online trophies in order to get platinum. That's straight up bullshit.

AEREC

CrankyJay said:
Just started this game last night.

I always have a hard time getting into new games. So far this game just strikes me as GTA with a Western skin.

And fuck online trophies in order to get platinum. That's straight up bullshit.

It is pretty much a western GTAIV...which is fine with me since I like GTA's mission structure and the sandbox feel to it.

And ya...some of the online achievements/trophies are ridiculous too...Ill never get them all.

Top Bottom