• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Montresor

Creamium said:
Undead Nightmare question :
Is there a quick and sure-fire way to get the Chupacabra to spawn? I've looked at guides that give locations, but unlike other 'rare' creatures, I can't get this one to appear on any of the supposed locations he spawns at. I've reached the final rank of the hunting challenge, so I really should find this thing at some point, but no luck so far

There is no surefire way to get that thing to spawn. I read up on the achievement online and looked up possible locations, but there's no guarantee it'll show up at any one location. You basically have to search the entire eastern half of Mexico, running around on your steed until you find it. I found and killed it just south of Casa Madrugada. But other people have found it west of Torquemada, near Sepulcro, in the southern portion of Diez Coronas, etc... There's no quick and easy way to get the achievement, you just have to keep at it and hope for the best.

It might have been a coincidence, but right before I found the
chupacabra
there were goats nearby... given the history of the creature, maybe goats are a clue that the creature's nearby.

Wow Undead Nightmare was lame, there was hardly any mission variety, it's either fetch quests for items or zombies, saving a bunch of towns that will come under attack again or cleansing burial grounds. The only memorable mission was the
train to Mexico
. On top of that the multiplayer still has problem finding games even though I have an open NAT.

Thank god I rented this.

Montresor

Finding games... in multiplayer? It''s almost like a foreign concept. It was all free roam for me.

I fucking hate the pvp modes in Red Dead. I spent the minimum amount of time in there just for the achievements. But I love chilling in free roam. I think I've put 60+ hours into free roam alone just doing journal challenges and gang hideouts.

I'm very glad that LA Noire won't have any multiplayer.

edit: I actually loved multi Liar's Dice and Poker, so there's that.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Montresor said:
There is no surefire way to get that thing to spawn. I read up on the achievement online and looked up possible locations, but there's no guarantee it'll show up at any one location. You basically have to search the entire eastern half of Mexico, running around on your steed until you find it. I found and killed it just south of Casa Madrugada. But other people have found it west of Torquemada, near Sepulcro, in the southern portion of Diez Coronas, etc... There's no quick and easy way to get the achievement, you just have to keep at it and hope for the best.

It might have been a coincidence, but right before I found the
chupacabra
there were goats nearby... given the history of the creature, maybe goats are a clue that the creature's nearby.

Yeah I found it a while ago. Seems to be random indeed.

The most fun I had in multi was to just go friendly free roam, posse up with some folks and go from gang hideout to gang hideout. Normal player matches are a lot less fun to me, especially since it can take ages to get into a game from the lobby.

And I will agree, Liar's Dice and Poker are a lot of fun online.

Montresor said:
Finding games... in multiplayer? It''s almost like a foreign concept. It was all free roam for me.

Yeah I always got into free roam but constantly got kicked out after about a minute of gameplay. RDR multiplayer doesn't agree with me at all.

1000/1000.

Fantastic game annoying people in MP aside.

I'm debating between Bully: SE or Portal 2.
Probably will go with Portal if they have that.

chuckywang said:
Has there been any news on the GOTY edition? I'm mainly wondering if I can use my PS3 save game on the GOTY edition.

well, savegames of GTAIV vanilla and GTAIV complete edition were compatible (within the same region).
It's basically the exact same game version. The complete edition even uses the same install data of vanilla GTAIV instead of installing it's own files.

I borrowed RDR from a friend, finished it and ended up liking it really much. So RDR(compatible with my savegame)+Undead+DLC all on one disc (at least for the PS3 version I guess) would be perfect for me.

TheUsual

Gold Member
upJTboogie said:
Yeah I always got into free roam but constantly got kicked out after about a minute of gameplay. RDR multiplayer doesn't agree with me at all.
Same here. Free roaming was a fun concept, but getting spawned killed about ten times in a row, I said fuck it and never touched it again.

I heard they fixed the spawn issue, but I can't believe the multiplayer shipped the way it did. That was the only thing that left a sour taste for an overall incredible experience.

Hey You

TheUsual said:
Same here. Free roaming was a fun concept, but getting spawned killed about ten times in a row, I said fuck it and never touched it again.

I heard they fixed the spawn issue, but I can't believe the multiplayer shipped the way it did. That was the only thing that left a sour taste for an overall incredible experience.
If your not into the killing other Players, play some Friendly Free Roam. You can't kill (or be killed) any other players in the game.

You can focus on the objective (hideouts,hunting etc) without worry that some arsehole is looking at you through their reticule.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Hey You said:
If your not into the killing other Players, play some Friendly Free Roam. You can't kill (or be killed) any other players in the game.

You can focus on the objective (hideouts,hunting etc) without worry that some arsehole is looking at you through their reticule.
Was that added in?

EDIT
Looked at the game updates. Wow, really wish that was in from the get-go. Might have to check it out sometime.

Hey You

TheUsual said:
Was that added in?

EDIT
Looked at the game updates. Wow, really wish that was in from the get-go. Might have to check it out sometime.
Yeah, it was added a couple of months ago I believe.

Its the only free roam I usually play.

Teknoman

Had no idea that was added. Then again, it was fun to have people band together to do missions, yet have to worry about a rival posse taking your targets/killing you.

Futureman

Teknoman said:
Hoping L.A. Noire really knocks it outta the park. After playing Red Dead, I really have high expectations for it.

same team or does Rockstar just publish both?

Just picked up a 360 and need to get RDR ASAP.

vehn said:
Rockstar developed RDR, but are only publishing LA
LA Noire is developed with outside developer Team Bondi. However, that does not mean there is no Rockstar hand in it at all ('only publishing'). Rockstar NYC is very much involved in bringing the game to fruition (just like Rockstar NYC worked with Rockstar San Diego to get RDR done).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The other day i saw Dead Read Redemption Nightmare (PS3) in a shop.
Its something like GOTY edition? Full game + DLC?

* I havent played RDR

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fersis said:
The other day i saw Dead Read Redemption Nightmare (PS3) in a shop.
Its something like GOTY edition? Full game + DLC?

* I havent played RDR

The fuck is wrong with you? :p

Love everything about this game. One question, I stopped playing for awhile, and then i put the game in today. It downloads a small patch and the game starts. The screen just zoomed in. Doesnt look good. Does that happen to anyone else? And wat can i do to change it?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hey You said:
It includes all the DLC, not the full game however.
Bummer :(

Sn4ke_911 said:
The fuck is wrong with you? :p
Sowwy.

I looove spaghetti westerns and i was going to get RDR Nightmare but it doesnt have the full campagin :(

EDIT: Oh yeah in my country games dont drop prices.

Fersis

Hey You said:
Get on it!

Its a steal for $10 (if you get it separately). The best ten bucks I've ever spent on a DLC.
But thats the thing.
It sold at 90 dollars just like a full retail package thats why i asked if it has the full campaign.

Hey You

Fersis said:
But thats the thing.
It sold at 90 dollars just like a full retail package thats why i asked if it has the full campaign.
90 Dollars? What?

Its supposed to be $29.99(£24.99) for the Disc.

the chris

Going to spoiler this just in case, but I just got to
Mexico
and I was wondering how much of the story I have left time wise.

the chris said:
Going to spoiler this just in case, but I just got to
Mexico
and I was wondering how much of the story I have left time wise.

Yeah, you're almost at the halfway point....its an epic game.

Echoplx

So just posted this in the Steam thread but figured here would be more appropriate;

-

So I'm really not sure where to post this, but i was just talking to a friend who is currently crashing at my place and apparently his lecturer at uni worked on/is working on Red Dead Redemption and apparently he showed them RDR running on one of the Uni PCs

All i know is he refused to speak any more about what he's actually doing there and that the game was in a incomplete form. But he said it was RDR all the menus and loading screens said RDR and the game looked and played like RDR.

-

I'm confident he isn't lying to me, so does anyone else know what this could be? Possibly just devtools on the PC (I'm not sure how the engine works)

th3dude

Hey You said:
Get on it!

Its a steal for $10 (if you get it separately). The best ten bucks I've ever spent on a DLC.
Can you elaborate? I haven't played this at all and want to pick it up. What's the best and cheapest way to get all of the goodness?

Dacon

Banned
Buckethead said:
Just hit 100%.

31 hours, 34 minutes. Holla!

Those hunter/survivalist challenges were a pain in the ass.

I loved the challenges!

I spent so much time with this game. I haven't been so immersed in a game's environments in so long. I wish I could wipe my memory of it so I could experience it again.

Well I spent about 4-5 hours exploring every nook and cranny of the map just to see what I could find, enjoy the scenery, and see what I could come across in the encounters.

aparisi2274

JetBlackPanda said:
RDR is probably my favorite game of the last decade, I really hope we get a sequel.

I loved RDR as well, but where do you go with a sequel?

Marston is dead, and his son got the revenge he was seeking. So do you continue the story with his son? Or do you do a prequel when Marsten was still running with Dutch and the rest of the gang?

MaddenNFL64

aparisi2274 said:

Marston is dead, and his son got the revenge he was seeking. So do you continue the story with his son? Or do you do a prequel when Marsten was still running with Dutch and the rest of the gang?

The west was dying already. I'd go back in time.

Chiggs

Gold Member
3chopl0x said:
So just posted this in the Steam thread but figured here would be more appropriate;

-

So I'm really not sure where to post this, but i was just talking to a friend who is currently crashing at my place and apparently his lecturer at uni worked on/is working on Red Dead Redemption and apparently he showed them RDR running on one of the Uni PCs

All i know is he refused to speak any more about what he's actually doing there and that the game was in a incomplete form. But he said it was RDR all the menus and loading screens said RDR and the game looked and played like RDR.

-

I'm confident he isn't lying to me, so does anyone else know what this could be? Possibly just devtools on the PC (I'm not sure how the engine works)

Probably just devtools like you mentioned, but I would love RDR on the PC.

MaddenNFL64 said:
The west was dying already. I'd go back in time.

Hell yeah. I want a game where the outlaws vs. lawmen is still in full effect, and everyone still lives and breathes "Wild West" without the looming sense of change in the air from 1911 RDR. Also, I want Indian territories, full bank robberies (both random events + player led), notorious gangs running a muck, Civil War backdrop, gold prospecting, etc. etc. etc.

Red Dead Revolution, baby. Bring it on.

aparisi2274 said:

I would continue the story, make it sort of a
family saga of sorts... move the story into the Roaring 20s/Dirty 30s era and turn Jack Marston in a bank robber or something. Plus, always though Red Dead Retribution would be a cool name for an RD game.

RPGCrazied

Just got this at gamespot for $24.99. I played and beat the shit out of the 360 version, but now that I own a PS3, going to do it all over again. :)

I have yet to even try the undead DLC yet. Should be fun.

Hootie

One more exam and then I'm free for the summer! I plan on playing the fuck out of LA Noire but right afterwards I am making sure I replay RDR, I beat it last year when it first came out but I have touched the story since. Can't wait!

Fjordson

Net_Wrecker said:
Hell yeah. I want a game where the outlaws vs. lawmen is still in full effect, and everyone still lives and breathes "Wild West" without the looming sense of change in the air from 1911 RDR. Also, I want Indian territories, full bank robberies (both random events + player led), notorious gangs running a muck, Civil War backdrop, gold prospecting, etc. etc. etc.

Red Dead Revolution, baby. Bring it on.
Yes yes yes. That's the beauty of what they did with RDR. They literally have the entire Old West to draw upon for future games.

Maybe even have a John cameo from back in his outlaw days. The game could basically be to Redemption what Vice City was to GTA III.

Fjordson said:
Yes yes yes. That's the beauty of what they did with RDR. They literally have the entire Old West to draw upon for future games.

Maybe even have a John cameo from back in his outlaw days. The game could basically be to Redemption what Vice City was to GTA III.

excelent!

I'd like bigger cities/settlements in a sequel.

Granted riding in open spaces is fun, but that was probably my biggest gripe with RDR.

My vision for open world games like these probably is limited by current technology though.

Top Bottom