• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Buckethead said:
Best story in all of video games and incredibly deep sidequest system.

The "best story" part is extremely debatable. Beat the game last night, was very disppointed in the last 2 hours.

Ledsen

The story is standard western fare, but I guess it's pretty unique in video games. I liked it, even though the characters are one-dimensional.

Radogol said:
The last 2 hours are what makes it great.

Indubitably. Whenever I think of Red Dead Redemption, I think of that ending. I see everything after as an epilogue of sorts, but the ending left me
devastated. I was literally left upset for days afterwards.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'll say it right now.

Best narrative of this gen.
The only part that bothered me was the disconnect between the way you could play Marston, and the Marston we encountered in the story and cutscenes. I played Marston as a high honor character, so to see him
switching sides (multiple times) in Mexico without giving it a simple thought
came across as odd.

The sections in New Austin and West Elizabeth were great, though. Dat ending.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
John may very well be the best character I've ever played. I was honestly happy to see him
get reunited with his family

Raging Spaniard said:
The "best story" part is extremely debatable. Beat the game last night, was very disppointed in the last 2 hours.

I thought they were great. I loved how the game was clearly winding down rather than having an abrupt, rushed ending. I was satisfied with the outcome too.

Great game, I generally disliked all things Country Western themed before RDR.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I guess I'll buy it, but when I clear out at least 50% of my PS3 backlog. This should be fast.

Can I make decisions which affect the story somehow? Because if I can I'll buy it without clearing out my backlog.

Radogol

subversus said:
Can I make decisions which affect the story somehow?

Not really, but there are some cool choices to be made. It's very inconsistent, though - some missions are painfully linear, others are pretty really reactive.

I usually don't like Free roaming games like GTA, but RDR is really a great game and playing in a Western setting was amazing and even refreshing .

One of the best surprises of this gen!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There were some great moments in the narrative, particularly the early and later chapters, but just like GTAIV it gets lost in between. It deviates from the more interesting plot lines and gets muddled as too many characters come and go with no real purpose. The Mexico segment is probably the best example of this. Gorgeous environment but just about everything that occurs during those chapters has no bearing on the overall plot and the characters introduced are quickly forgotten.

Part of the problem is due to the length and scope of these games, but I think the narratives would benefit a lot if they could cut that kind of fat out.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hwasong said:
Huh? What would you have done instead?

I liked the idea and concept behind the ending, but not the execution.

Jack was just not developed enough, the whole idea of killing John is good but should have happened earlier in the story so that theres more to the ending than just find bad guy and shoot him, plus there are plot holes. Why wasn't John shot right after killing Dutch? Doesn't make sense to let him live for like, 3 days.

I dont dislike it because it made me upset, being upset is fine. I just dont think the dialogue and presentation lived up to the idea.

Definitely one of my favorite gaming experiences so far. Everything was superb, minus the occasional glitch. Hoping to play online more, so feel free to add me on PSN.

PSN ID: SlLENTCAPYBARA

The game's random nature combined with the limited saving does drive me up a wall at times.

I had gathered three Armadillo skins for one of the challenge, and decided to go back to town. On my way back, I get the "my horse got stolen" random encounter. Being the honorable sort, I decide to help out...

I get jumped in the middle of it by a cougar! Naturally, he kills my horse, I go tumbling down a cliff... and die!

I know about the "change horse to immediately save" trick, but unfortunately there's that damned 20 missions while on one horse achivement/trophy... :-/

Edit:
Is the social club login of any value? I have no interest or desire in any of the Grand Theft Auto games.

bengraven

Edvardelis said:
Is the social club login of any value? I have no interest or desire in any of the Grand Theft Auto games.

It's fairly harmless and you get a great suit for free that lets you into high stakes games.

Also:

The Red Dead Redemption section features:

A community page made to look like a copy of the Blackwater Ledger
A stat tracker linked to the player's Xbox Live or Playstation Network account
A Trophy / Achievement tracker
An interactive 100% Completion Checklist
An interactive map of all locations and their respective in game status
Details of exclusive in-game challenges that unlock cheats for the game
Multiplayer Leaderboards
The Gentleman's Attire Outfit which only requires you to sign the Social Club

RDR_unlocksGentlemansAttireOutfit.jpg

Hey You

I don't know if this deserves its own thread but...

We just wanted to let all our Red Dead fans and especially multiplayers out there know that we have some fantastic and entirely FREE DLC coming your way as a show of appreciation for your amazing support since the game’s release last year - including new fan-favorite playable multiplayer characters by popular demand as well as something for all players of Deathmatch, Grab the Bag, Gang matches and other online modes.

Stay tuned and we'll have more details for you soon.

Blog Post

Its awesome that they are giving us Free DLC, but honestly I want some more Single Player DLC for RDR.

Fjordson

Hey You said:
I want some more Single Player DLC for RDR.
That would be awesome.

This probably sounds weird, but thinking about RDR makes me depressed at this point. Probably going to be a while before anything new in the series =(

So as a noob to the game (I have literally just gotten started), I have a few questions.

What happens if my horse dies, I have just got the stallion and I presume its a decent horse, if it dies will it respawn? Or will it be lost? Can it randomly die in battle if its near me (like if I jump off near enemies to do a mission?)

Is there a easier way to keep my horses speed up than spamming A when stamina allows? Holding A seems to make him slow down.

Are there any missable missions? I know with these free roam games you may end up doing something that puts you in a different part of the map, I dont wanna miss out on anything though.

I have just brought the rabbits foot, and it seems like a good investment, but what is money like in this game, is it hard to come by or can I basically buy what I want?

When it comes to selling animal skins and wildflowers, am I better off looking for the best price, or is there just a static price for all of them? Is there any advantage to holding onto that kind of stuff?

Thanks in advance, amazing game!

bobs99 ... said:
So as a noob to the game (I have literally just gotten started), I have a few questions.

What happens if my horse dies, I have just got the stallion and I presume its a decent horse, if it dies will it respawn? Or will it be lost? Can it randomly die in battle if its near me (like if I jump off near enemies to do a mission?)

It depends. If it's your first horse or you bought it (own the deed), it'll respawn. If you tamed it, it's dead. Enemies can and will attack the horse. Especially animals.

Is there a easier way to keep my horses speed up than spamming A when stamina allows? Holding A seems to make him slow down.

Nope. It's the big annoyance I have with the game.

Are there any missable missions? I know with these free roam games you may end up doing something that puts you in a different part of the map, I dont wanna miss out on anything though.

Doesn't seem like it.

I have just brought the rabbits foot, and it seems like a good investment, but what is money like in this game, is it hard to come by or can I basically buy what I want?

A lot of the weapons you get for free from missions/hideouts. If you really care, you can check the wiki. Money doesn't seem to be all that difficult, since you can get ammo for free from chests and weapons on the ground.

When it comes to selling animal skins and wildflowers, am I better off looking for the best price, or is there just a static price for all of them? Is there any advantage to holding onto that kind of stuff?

I ran into one quest that needed a certain number of plants picked, 3 of the first three kinds. Haven't seen any others so far. The challenges force you to start fresh regardless of how many you may have.

Edvardelis said:
It depends. If it's your first horse or you bought it (own the deed), it'll respawn. If you tamed it, it's dead. Enemies can and will attack the horse. Especially animals.

Nope. It's the big annoyance I have with the game.

Doesn't seem like it.

A lot of the weapons you get for free from missions/hideouts. If you really care, you can check the wiki. Money doesn't seem to be all that difficult, since you can get ammo for free from chests and weapons on the ground.

I ran into one quest that needed a certain number of plants picked, 3 of the first three kinds. Haven't seen any others so far. The challenges force you to start fresh regardless of how many you may have.

Thanks for that! I guess im going to buy the upgraded campsite and bandolier belt then, Dont see why not considering money seems to come fairly easy. Its a shame about the horses, but I guess eventually ill buy the deed to one of the better horses anyway.

WTF the game has locked up twice now during the mission where you
use the machine gun mounted on the army truck to mow down Dutch's men

I hope this isn't a sign of impending doom for my XBox

Persona7

Banned
BigJonsson said:
WTF the game has locked up twice now during the mission where you
use the machine gun mounted on the army truck to mow down Dutch's men

I hope this isn't a sign of impending doom for my XBox
PS3 version locked up for me a dozen times at varying points in the the 12 hours I spent with this game.

GTA4 on 360 also commonly locked up, I blame the games themselves.

bobs99 ... said:

I missed a stranger quest or two somehow. I was going for 100% and one of the last things I had left was finishing up some quest that I had skipped. I forget the name of it... Aztec something or California something. It didn't really have much to do with the story at all, I just needed to find it for 100%.

Mik2121

Persona7 said:
PS3 version locked up for me a dozen times at varying points in the the 12 hours I spent with this game.

GTA4 on 360 also commonly locked up, I blame the games themselves.
Really? RDR locked on me only once in the 30+ hours I've played of single player, and none on the many hours (dunno how many though) I've played multiplayer. GTA4 has frozen about 3 times in the 40 hours I have recorded (plus many hours I've not saved the game and just simply quit).

What do you do to your discs or consoles?...

Snuggler said:
There were some great moments in the narrative, particularly the early and later chapters, but just like GTAIV it gets lost in between. It deviates from the more interesting plot lines and gets muddled as too many characters come and go with no real purpose. The Mexico segment is probably the best example of this. Gorgeous environment but just about everything that occurs during those chapters has no bearing on the overall plot and the characters introduced are quickly forgotten.

Part of the problem is due to the length and scope of these games, but I think the narratives would benefit a lot if they could cut that kind of fat out.
Snake oil salesman guy overstayed his welcome, just like many other characters.

The snake oil guy also made Marston look like a complete bitch and really took me out of the story.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Snake oil salesman guy overstayed his welcome, just like many other characters.

The snake oil guy also made Marston look like a complete bitch and really took me out of the story.

I have just finished my 3rd or 4th mission with him and im beginning to hate him, but I think that sort of works because Marston seems to feel the same way. :p Luckily ive finished all his current missions but I still have to work with Seth, and I havent even bothered meeting Irish yet.

I get the feeling the swindler, the drunk and the freak are going to make me want to stop playing the game entirely between them.

Im generally loving the game, and I want to explore the world and free roam, but the missions are beginning to grate on me a little.

I bought this game last year at release and have been forcing myself to play it little by little and I'm somewhere near the end of the Mexico part now (I think.), if I haven't enjoyed the game that much until now, is it worth it to play it 'til the end?

Marsipolami said:
I bought this game last year at release and have been forcing myself to play it little by little and I'm somewhere near the end of the Mexico part now (I think.), if I haven't enjoyed the game that much until now, is it worth it to play it 'til the end?

Well it's not going to change into a different game or anything.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Well it's not going to change into a different game or anything.
It's just that I enjoy it to an extent. Some of the missions are actually fun and I like the story and cinematics, but the horse rides in between the mission occupy 80% of the game and they're just atrociously boring.
I had exactly the same problem with GTA IV whereas I played until the Museum mission.
Never felt the same with GTA: San Andreas where exploring was fun and rewarded.

Marsipolami said:
It's just that I enjoy it to an extent. Some of the missions are actually fun and I like the story and cinematics, but the horse rides in between the mission occupy 80% of the game and they're just atrociously boring.
I had exactly the same problem with GTA IV whereas I played until the Museum mission.

Hmm I disagree, the free roaming is the best bit, because there will always be something happening in the world. If you really dislike it you can just fast travel using your camping kit or the stagecoaches around the map.

Marsipolami said:

Well ma point was that if you've been "meh" to this point, you're probably gonna be "meh" the rest of the way, too. It doesn't all of a sudden get way better or anything, no. If anything it kinda drags a bit, imo, and I say that as someone who loved the game.

Fjordson

Marsipolami said:
Bu..but...riding horseback is one of the best parts...

=(

Tawpgun

I remember playing multiplayer, dicking around near hennigans stead.

And then... we saw the sun setting. And everyone stopped and watched. This game....

neoism

Fjordson said:

=(
This. Playing this game high as fuck, just riding your horse is the funniest thing ever. I got undead nightmare a few weeks ago, and have been playing it non stop. This has been the best open-world game in a looong time. I love it. RDR2 can't come fast enough. Please release it on PC though.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I remember playing multiplayer, dicking around near hennigans stead.

And then... we saw the sun setting. And everyone stopped and watched. This game....

You still play the game multiplayer? I would love some people to go through some of the co op missions with, but kind of want to avoid playing it with people who have already played them to death as it will probably not be as much fun as playing it with people going through them fresh. I think I missed the boat on that though.

Fjordson said:

=(
I think I would've enjoyed it if I hadn't been so... stressed while playing the game. From the get-go I just wanted to complete the game and be done with it so I could move on to the next game in my backlog. Which was stupid. But I can't just shake away that feeling.
Bleh, I don't know how to explain it. I can see why it is such a great game but I don't feel it, I s'pose, even though I know how to.

Wow, it sounds like I'm on drugs. I haven't played it in 5 or 6 months now so maybe I should just wait another 6 months and play it from the beginning and see if I like it better.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So I bought it.

so far it's ok. But it seems that I'll be much more interested in its gamey parts than the story.

I just captured my first bounty.

I hear that I will soon have access to Mexico, will I still be able to go back to America afterwards or not?

Also
Someone already ruined that at the end of the game you end up playing as your son, Jack. I dont know much more than this so please dont spoil me further but what happens to any side missions after the main character switch? Does Jack have different conversations with strangers? What happens if I start a stranger mission with John and then return to do the second part with Jack?

Hey You

bobs99 ... said:
I hear that I will soon have access to Mexico, will I still be able to go back to America afterwards or not?
Yep, you'll be able to crossover at any time.

Also
Someone already ruined that at the end of the game you end up playing as your son, Jack. I dont know much more than this so please dont spoil me further but what happens to any side missions after the main character switch? Does Jack have different conversations with strangers? What happens if I start a stranger mission with John and then return to do the second part with Jack?
I can't quite remember fully, but I do think that the stranger acknowledges that hes not John. Anyways, you'll be able to go back and do any side missions you missed with John.

RevDM

Banned
Just dragged a roped nun for about a mile behind my horse. I kind of feel guilty about doing it lol

I looted her dead body too

Is there really Ennio Morricone music in this game? I'm thinking of picking it up for this reason alone.

I REALLY enjoyed Red Dead Revolver, but I'm not very fond of 'sandbox' or Rockstar games.

Dacon

Banned
Haw I just had massive amounts of fun in free roam with my friends roaming New Austin whoopin asses and huntin boar.

I wish they added zombies to Free Roam too.

Top Bottom